BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The information you are presenting conflicts with the statistics I posted earlier. Remember, the average cop in the U.S. grosses 300,000 dollars a year in traffic fines. That is a fact.
View Quote

Sorry, I don't believe the "average" you cite
Theres no way your "average" officer out there is writing that many tickets unless they are a dedicated traffic officer and answering no calls
To achieve that amount given your links listed average of $150 per ticket, the officer would have to be writing 2000 tickets per year
Assuming a conservative couple of weeks off per year that's 8 tickets a day
The only guys writing that volume of tickets every day, day in and day out are traffic guys
Patrol guys who actually answer calls don't have time to reliably write that many each and every day..
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey I don't make the statistics, if you want to challenge them, find better ones. And while there are cops who don't write that many tickets, you'd better believe there are cops out there writing more than five tickets a day (you can see them driving around in blue cars and wearing gray uniforms). Fuck fuck's sake, I saw a single state trooper pull over three cars and write three tickets while I was pumping  gas on route 28 about two months ago.

Also, as you well know, some tickets carry some hefty fines. The last time I went to traffic court the most common fines tossed around were in the two to three hundred dollar range.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The information you are presenting conflicts with the statistics I posted earlier. Remember, the average cop in the U.S. grosses 300,000 dollars a year in traffic fines. That is a fact.
View Quote

Lol......No Fucking Way!!!!

I have 60 sworn LEOs on my agency and we don't write that much combined.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a national statistic. But...good on you! Thank you for not turning your profession into a revenue scheme.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's a national statistic. But...good on you! Thank you for not turning your profession into a revenue scheme.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh don't you fret.......our court and city council was bitching because ticket revenue in the court is down and wanted the police department to answer why:

Our Lt. In charge of the Traffic Units reply: "We are not here to generate revenue, we are here to promote safe driving, which apparently we have accomplished; our traffic details are up and our traffic stops and summons are down......... So I guess our traffic enforcement and visibility of patrol must be working."

They council and court had no rebuttal....... But the look on their faces was priceless.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I still see your boys posted out on Aurora and by St Mary's when I drive through there on my trips back home ...

Oh don't you fret.......our court and city council was bitching because ticket revenue in the court is down and wanted the police department to answer why:

Our Lt. In charge of the Traffic Units reply: "We are not here to generate revenue, we are here to promote safe driving, which apparently we have accomplished; our traffic details are up and our traffic stops and summons are down......... So I guess our traffic enforcement and visibility of patrol must be working."

They council and court had no rebuttal....... But the look on their faces was priceless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still see your boys posted out on Aurora and by St Mary's when I drive through there on my trips back home ...

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
our court and city council was bitching because ticket revenue in the court is down and wanted the police department to answer why:
View Quote

You realize that even though you may be one of the exceptions to the rule, you just proved my point, right?
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You realize that even though you may be one of the exceptions to the rule, you just proved my point, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
our court and city council was bitching because ticket revenue in the court is down and wanted the police department to answer why:

Yes.......I know........local munis want traffic citations so they can reduce them to parking tickets so that they get the money instead of the state.........been happening for decades........that's why the state keeps increasing their "surcharge", the state caught on to the fix, and the state was losing money.

The sheriff department doesn't get the money, the local towns, villages, and cities do.......and the police department doesn't get 1 red cent of it either
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes.......I know........local munis want traffic citations so they can reduce them to parking tickets so that they get the money instead of the state.........been happening for decades....
View Quote

So that's why they do that! Thank you for clearing that up!
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hey I don't make the statistics, if you want to challenge them, find better ones. And while there are cops who don't write that many tickets, you'd better believe there are cops out there writing more than five tickets a day (you can see them driving around in blue cars and wearing gray uniforms). Fuck fuck's sake, I saw a single state trooper pull over three cars and write three tickets while I was pumping  gas on route 28 about two months ago.

Also, as you well know, some tickets carry some hefty fines. The last time I went to traffic court the most common fines tossed around were in the two to three hundred dollar range.
View Quote

The hefty fines are few and far between when it comes to V & T sections. Your typical fines here run in the $100 range. Plenty of equipment tickets get dismissed with no fine imposed
Sure there are some heavy ticket writers but that link talks about average officers
Those numbers do not represent the average officers here or, I imagine, anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Well they represent the average cop somewhere, since they are national statistics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well they represent the average cop somewhere, since they are national statistics.
View Quote

Then you have to look at how the data was collected, because I simply don't believe it.
For every traffic guy who has 8 hrs of nothing but ticket-writing or guys on an OT traffic enforcement detail there are dozens out there humping calls who don't have time to write 2000 tickets a year on top of everything else they're doing
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The hefty fines are few and far between when it comes to V & T sections. Your typical fines here run in the $100 range. Plenty of equipment tickets get dismissed with no fine imposed

View Quote

Not sure how the rest of the state does it but here in Nassau County you now have a $30 (IIRC) "Administrative Fee" tacked on for any ticket you take to court.  Even if it is dismissed, you have to pay the fee.  So it is a win-win for the county since they get paid whether or not you are guilty or the ticket is thrown out.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not sure how the rest of the state does it but here in Nassau County you now have a $30 (IIRC) "Administrative Fee" tacked on for any ticket you take to court.  Even if it is dismissed, you have to pay the fee.  So it is a win-win for the county since they get paid whether or not you are guilty or the ticket is thrown out.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow........that and the state surcharge.......which i think is around $110 now
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top