Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 4:11:48 PM EDT
Just got official word that the Ares SCR is now legal in NYC...as it should have been from the start.

I was asked not to plaster it all over the internet...but it's not like it should be a secret.

Now we'll see how long it takes them to ban it arbitrarily by name based on no set legal standard...in which case I'd like to get the NYSRPA, NRA, SAF and SCOPE involved.

But here we are.

Funny thing is, I don't even plan on buying one anyway...can't really afford it right now...but I am glad I got it approved for the rest of my NYC gun owners.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Way to go, steamroller Dave! You kick ass!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Hats off to you, sir.

Hope some NYC peeps arm up as a result.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn! You go Dave!  Any way to lobby Ares to give you one for your efforts?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on winning your fight

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats on winning your fight

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job Dave. If ARES had half a brain they'd give you an SCR for your efforts and enjoy the free publicity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Good job dude, I am not going to lie, I didn't think you would get far.  I thought it was fruitless not because there was something wrong with you but because NYC is just NYC and close to impossible to deal with.  You did win a massive victory for the 2A in that liberal bastion.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job dude!  Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice job Dave. If ARES had half a brain they'd give you an SCR for your efforts and enjoy the free publicity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Nah...I did it more because the NYPD needs to realize that they can't legally ban any gun they want. More out of frustration than anything.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was asked not to plaster it all over the internet...but it's not like it should be a secret.
View Quote

Ha!  What a crock of shit.  We wouldn't want AMERICANS to actually exercise their Constitutional rights, now, would we?  Don't plaster it all over the internet?  
Fuck that.  Broadcast it far and wide, baby.    FUNYC.  
Awesome work, Dave!  It's sad that the citizen has to demonstrate that something is legal under the letter of the law, rather than the government having to justify its arbitrary use of power.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:21:39 PM EDT
[#13]
They sent a letter confirming?

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

No but I got a direct phone call confirming it is now 100% legal and registerable in nyc..I wasn't calling them asking some random clerk a question...they called me.

But should I ask for a confirmation letter? I mean even a letter means nothing if they change their minds and arbitrarily ban it.

Or should I just scrounge together the $800 and buy one...then post a copy of the approved registration?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Awesome! Good work!

Unfortunately I'm sure few if any employees who work the phones & desk at the rifle/shotgun section know this has happened, and would still give an absolute "NO!" if they were asked about it's legality.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Ha!  What a crock of shit.  We wouldn't want AMERICANS to actually exercise their Constitutional rights, now, would we?  Don't plaster it all over the internet?  

Awesome work, Dave!  It's sad that the citizen has to demonstrate that something is legal under the letter of the law, rather than the government having to justify its arbitrary use of power.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed!

I think they thought I was doing this to be selfish and "get mine" - and that if I spread it online it may force them to backtrack.

I didn't do this to get it for myself...I did this to prove that they are wrong and doing something unconstitutional that they should be ashamed of.

I did it for my fellow gun owners behind enemy lines.

I doubt they feel ashamed but I can at least make them think twice before arbitrarily making up the rules as they go.

This isn't a gift that they gave me...it is what SHOULD have happened from the start.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Awesome! Good work!

Unfortunately I'm sure few if any employees who work the phones & desk at the rifle/shotgun section know this has happened, and would still give an absolute "NO!" if they were asked about it's legality.
View Quote

They have all been directed to speak with their higher ups when it comes to the SCR according to my phone call...and I was told if I had any problems it would be straightened out.

So I think it's safe to say it's legal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dave, I'm in for $250 for the cause. Moments like this should be celebrated.

Let me know where to send it. I'll get a check out same day.

View Quote

So I can buy the SCR?

I could never accept any money. But seriously thank you for the offer.

I will get the money together myself and buy one soon though!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:26:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm in for $100.
Dave, seriously, good work!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice Dave thanks for the info. I can't swing one either, not sure if I really want one
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 1:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No but I got a direct phone call confirming it is now 100% legal and registerable in nyc..I wasn't calling them asking some random clerk a question...they called me.

But should I ask for a confirmation letter? I mean even a letter means nothing if they change their minds and arbitrarily ban it.

Or should I just scrounge together the $800 and buy one...then post a copy of the approved registration?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely ask for it in writing.  One tactful way to do it would be to send a letter to the guy who called you:

"Dear Det. Stahppenfrisk

This letter is sent as a follow-up to our telephone conversation on [DATE] regarding the legal status of the ARES SCR.  During our conversation, you stated...[whatever he told you].

I interpret your statement to mean that the ARES SCR is legal to register and posses within New York City limits with a valid NYC rifle permit.   Can you confirm that my understanding of this matter is correct?

Eternally Yours,

Dave"

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:26:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Im in for 50 on your SCR dave....lets get this shit in the open.

Fuck NYPD FUCK NYS and FUCK the SAFE ACT
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#25]
also sent this into TTAG...i hope everyone hears about this.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
also sent this into TTAG...i hope everyone hears about this.
View Quote

Ha awesome.

Maybe I am just being modest here...but I don't see this as a huge win still...The SCR is simply not illegal in NYC...it has no banned features, and is not banned by name. It isn't for military-only purposes, and isn't any more "dangerous" than any other gun in the world.

It's not like I "won one over" on the NYPD...this is what SHOULD have happened from that start, ya know?

Now if we got a court to rule against the NYPD's "power" to ban anything they want arbitrarily on a whim, THAT would be a win.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
But you as a citizen, kept them from just making shit up as they go along. "Because"

Now go find a SCR!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, you MUST get this in writing from them before ruffling their feathers by shouting it from the rooftops.

Otherwise they are guaranteed to deny every saying it was legal.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:28:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP, you MUST get this in writing from them before ruffling their feathers by shouting it from the rooftops.

Otherwise they are guaranteed to deny every saying it was legal.

View Quote

I agree and I will get one...

But Ares just posted on Facebook that the NYPD has confirmed that the SCR is legal as well. So at least we have 2 parties that have verbal confirmation...one being the manufacturer.

But honestly, who cares if they give me a letter saying "Yeah the SCR is registerable." They could change their minds and arbitrarily ban it tomorrow for no reason, and the letter would be meaningless.

I'd sue them based on having such an arbitrary power based on no set legal wording or standard...but that is another story...
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Yuuutttttt!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:43:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#32]
It looks like ARES is coopting your victory.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/05/nypd-authorizes-registration-of-ares-scr-rifles-in-nyc

When they completed their review yesterday, they ruled in favor of allowing registration of the ARES SCR Rifle by qualified residents of New York City.

“Today’s positive news is a significant turn of events, brought about by the diligent efforts of members of the NYPD who worked tirelessly for a fair outcome in a challenging environment.” said Geoffrey Herring, President of ARES Defense and designer of the ARES SCR rifle.

He continued, “I was personally consulted by members of the License Division during their investigation and the professionalism displayed by the NYPD detectives as well as others at NYPD who were involved with this positive decision is second to none. I am very pleased with the outcome and I expect that gun owning residents of New York City will be too. The professionals at NYPD demonstrated that the process works when given a chance. I personally feel a deep sense of gratitude for their tireless efforts and fairness in this matter and would like to thank them for their determination.”
View Quote
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#33]
It sounds like an incredible amount of a$$ kissing on Ares' part, which is understandable seeing as it opens up 8 million people to buying their product.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit, man, I think I love you!

Congrats on fighting the good fight and  winning!

I may have to finally get a city gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I really don't care if they take credit...I know I initiated the entire endeavor...and continued it for 6 months...communicating with and lighting a fire under both Ares and the NYPD.

And it was absolutely my final letter, sent at the request of Detective Novins, that actually proved the gun to be legal. I have the emails to prove it...and the only time any progress was ever made during the 6 months was when I got the ball rolling.

Geoff, the owner of Ares, even called me directly, to discuss the situation...we spoke for almost 35 minutes...

So I'd like to think I was at the center of it all...

But really what does it matter...we need to strike these laws down in court. That will be a real win.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Im in for 50 on your SCR dave....lets get this shit in the open.

Fuck NYPD FUCK NYS and FUCK the SAFE ACT
View Quote
Same here, in for $50.

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Ha...I like it.

Hell I'd like to now challenge why they ban ALL AR variants...and a ton of other guns they call particularly suitable for military and non sporting purposes...

They can't even define that term...and I asked them to!

This is just the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Called up the rifle/shotgun section today. They gave me no issue when i asked about the ARES SCR. Within 2 minutes i had a yes answer, well done Dave, well done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top