Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 5:00:45 PM EDT
I saw them make three traffic stops in less than 30 minutes yesterday.  Granted, near the train station, but not related to it. The first one was past the tracks, so I thought maybe the car had done something it shouldn't have at the crossing.  The next two stops there car's were still well down the road, heading towards the tracks/station, so they couldn't have done anything "train related" wrong because they hadn't gotten near it yet. I guess it's just revenue gathering? I have no idea what the cars did, other than it couldn't have been speeding, it was all bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
SUNY police at University (Upstate) Hospital do a ton of traffic stops on the neighboring streets.  Logic would tell me that: they are bored, they may be overstaffed and are trying to justify their existence.  But apparently the way the law is written, their geographical area of operation allows them to act in this capacity.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I saw them make three traffic stops in less than 30 minutes yesterday.  Granted, near the train station, but not related to it. The first one was past the tracks, so I thought maybe the car had done something it shouldn't have at the crossing.  The next two stops there car's were still well down the road, heading towards the tracks/station, so they couldn't have done anything "train related" wrong because they hadn't gotten near it yet. I guess it's just revenue gathering? I have no idea what the cars did, other than it couldn't have been speeding, it was all bumper to bumper stop and go traffic.
View Quote
They have the complete confidence they are full police officers.  One guy I know, the MTA guy handcuffed him when he "thought" he didnt pay when he drove through the easypass lane on the GWB.  WTF!  Then one stole my eazypass when he decided that my vehicle was too big for the class.  I was on theTNB on the way to a lizard's game and didnt have time to waste with the brain dead.  Eazypass sent me a new one no charge, overnight. Give the little guy some power, and they will always abuse it.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

They can do carstops. Used to frequently see a MTA guy doing carstops on Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn under the elevated LIRR tracks.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police, or MTA Police, is the police agency of New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Officers of the MTA Police are fully empowered under the New York State Public Authorities Law and are commissioned in the state of Connecticut.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One guy I know, the MTA guy handcuffed him when he "thought" he didnt pay when he drove through the easypass lane on the GWB.  WTF!
View Quote

MTA guy working the GWB?
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
He's probably thinking of Triborough Authority. They're the ones who go after EZ passes. MTA police are fully sworn police officers and are in police/fire retirement and everything. Their job is to police MTA property, which is a lot of property, so it's possible the offense may have happened on their property. To be honest I'm not really positive on how their geographic area of employment is defined so it may be statewide, but like any police officer they can make arrests statewide for crimes.

I doubt they get much revenue from their stops since they're handled in local courts so, like all ticket money, most goes to the state and the rest would go to the municipality in which it was written. On the other hand, traffic stops are numbers and numbers are what you show come budget time and they have a very big one to justify.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He's probably thinking of Triborough Authority. They're the ones who go after EZ passes.
View Quote

Probably PAPD, they work the GWB.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
According to Wikipedia their geographic area of employment is the counties of Dutchess, Putnam, Orange, Rockland, Westchester, The City of New York, Nassau and Suffolk.
I think geographic area of employment for SUNY Police is the entire state.
I see State Parks Police making traffic stops all the time on Riverside Dr in NYC near the Riverbank State Park.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen them in Farmingdale recently watching the crossings and several weeks ago in Glen Head.  They look for people going around the gates when they are down as well as through the lights.  Under the law, the flashing red lights, even when the gates are not yet down or are in the process of going up, are considered the same as a red light.  It is an easy ticket for them to nail people blowing off the red lights.  I suspect it has to do with the recent fatal crossing incidents such as the one in Westchester.

As for their jurisdiction, that is a good question.  Don't forget it was back in March 2011 that Nassau County PD officer Geoffrey Breitkopf was shot and killed by an MTA officer at an incident at a private home.  They heard the call and decided to go and "help out".  See http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/3421689-NY-officer-killed-by-MTA-officer-in-accidental-shooting/.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As for their jurisdiction, that is a good question.  Don't forget it was back in March 2011 that Nassau County PD officer Geoffrey Breitkopf was shot and killed by an MTA officer at an incident at a private home.  They heard the call and decided to go and "help out".  See http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/3421689-NY-officer-killed-by-MTA-officer-in-accidental-shooting/.
View Quote

As did that retired NYPD ESU moron.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top