Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2015 7:59:42 PM EDT
I would like to carry a couple of guns with me to NH area. I already plan on shipping my mag ahead of me. Is their anything I need to know storing my guns while traveling thru. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Pepper your angus
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to tell us what you mean by "carry", and what types of guns you are planning to take.  

The devil really is in the details here.  

Oh, and standby for advice to just avoid NYS altogether.  It wouldn't be bad advice if you can follow it.

Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, and standby for advice to just avoid NYS altogether.  It wouldn't be bad advice if you can follow it.  
View Quote

Yup, don't bother.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How is he supposed to get to New Hampshire?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, don't bother.

Drive through Ontario, Canada () or take a boat through international waters from GA to Portsmouth, NH.  He can avoid Maryland too!

Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
not a lawyer

in theory FOPA should protect you, but I wouldn't want to test it

locked cases, cases not in plain view (in the trunk would be best), don't break any traffic laws that could be used as justification for a stop, make sure all your light bulbs are working, no broken taillight lens etc,
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Guns unloaded in a locked case with ammo in another locked case both in different sections of the trunk out of view . No "assault weapon" features or mags over ten rounds. A copy of fopa regulations on the front seat with you. Stop no where in New York follow all traffic laws. Cross your fingers. Could some event still result in getting you in trouble even though you are fully within the law- of course it is New York after all. But what I describe above is legal
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Stop no where in New York follow all traffic laws.
View Quote
I would also add to that; Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts.  There was a story last fall about a traveler with Florida CCW passing through Maryland, stopped and taken apart at the side of the road (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/matt-in-fl/florida-gun-owner-welcome-maryland/). The thing is, he did not have any firearms with him but Maryland had access to records that said he had a CCW and his wife stated he might have a firearm in the car somewhere which was enough for Maryland to give him the full anal search.  New Jersey can trip you up (hollow point bullets for example) as was discovered by Shaneen Allen from PA recently pardoned by Christie for bringing a handgun into New Jersey (http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/04/gov_christie_grants_pardon_to_pistol-packing_pa_mo.html).  Connecticut, god only knows with their recent post-Sandy Hook law changes.  Massachusetts has been a nightmare for decades with mandatory sentences for firearm possession without an FID card.

Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If pistols are involved just remember that if you decide to fly, flights can always have issues. Like landing in NY for an emergency or mechanical issues and you're pretty SOL if they find out or come across it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:19:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Basically what we are saying is it would be easier to charter your own plane and stay off the coast as long as possible.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would like to carry a couple of guns with me to NH area. I already plan on shipping my mag ahead of me. Is their anything I need to know storing my guns while traveling thru. Thanks.
View Quote

My advise would be to skip I-95 and take I-81 north to I-84 east.  That will allow you to skip most of Maryland, DC, all of NJ and most of NY.  You have to pass thru about 75 miles on NYS but you'll skip NYC.   Make a pit stop in PA before you hit the NY border and drive the speed limit straight thru NY.  it might be a little longer drive time but it worth it for  the peace of mind.  You also skip the traffic from Richmond to Baltimore and NYC.

As others have said, lock the unloaded guns in a separate case from the ammo, in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#14]
OK got it. I'm either going to leave em. Or find some way to ship up their.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OK got it. I'm either going to leave em. Or find some way to ship up their.
View Quote

A man with the right plan.  

Treating NY like the foreign country that it is will always assure your freedom.  No reason to give up what you have in Free America because of the cultural and intellectual deficiencies of tyrannical New Yorkers.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, don't bother.

Fly his private jet.  Duh.
Aren't all arfcomers billionaires who bang supermodels?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top