User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2015 12:28:48 AM EDT
Here is a video of loading the NY10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlygHxI5Gk4&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
On a slight tangent:  There's a safety issue with using these fixed magazines in Rifles we've been trained to clear in a completely different manner.
We taught to put the safety on, drop the mag, and rack the slide/bolt; well it just doesn't happen that way with fixed mags and there have been and will be unintended discharges as a result. I'm not saying they cannot be cleared, only that it's just not the way it was engineered.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a slight tangent:  There's a safety issue with using these fixed magazines in Rifles we've been trained to clear in a completely different manner.
We taught to put the safety on, drop the mag, and rack the slide/bolt; well it just doesn't happen that way with fixed mags and there have been and will be unintended discharges as a result. I'm not saying they cannot be cleared, only that it's just not the way it was engineered.  
View Quote

You can still drop the mag. It just doesn't hit the floor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
With this semi-detachable method and also the epoxied bullet button method, most are using Magpul Pmags with the base plate that's very easily popped off. This lets you drop all the rounds out the bottom so you're not chambering any new rounds in the case of a jam.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't it be easier on the feed lips to just unhinge the upper and take them from the top?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
But, I thought fixed mags made them safer for the children!!!!!!!  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda confused, but what you just said will still work. They mag will just be attached to the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
With this semi-detachable method and also the epoxied bullet button method, most are using Magpul Pmags with the base plate that's very easily popped off. This lets you drop all the rounds out the bottom so you're not chambering any new rounds in the case of a jam.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what/how I use them, and don't get me wrong it's not difficult to do, only different  Put it on "safe" punch the pin, yank the bolt, then strip out the magazine from the top or drop the bottom.  If it weren't for the shear FUCK YOU ANDREW CUOMO factor of a "banned" rifle being modified in spite of their Weimar Laws, I wouldn't even bother, yet here we are.
IMHO not being able to eject the magazine in order to clear the rifle sets up the possibility of a round being inadvertently or accidentally left in the chamber.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
There is very little "safe" about the Safe act.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
When I did the fixed mag FAB10 for Calif. back in 2001, one of the biggest issues was that you could not drop the mag to clear out any feed issues. Some times it was necessary to pop both pins and completely remove the upper. The mag in the NY 10 drops down 1 1/2 inches and allows you to clear the weapon .I just lock the carrier back and shake it and all the loose rounds fall out. Look, I hate the fact that we have to do these kind of things as much as anyone. Here in Calif. we are not too far behind you guys. I will be damned if I will let them completely disarm us, or have us register our rifles. I felt that it was better to be able to reconfigure your rifle so that you could still use it, without registering. That I felt ,was a far better option than a disassembled rifle hidden some where. I assume that most will always have their stripped lower if ever there is a time it doesn't matter any more.I have seen some of your guys rifles. You are pretty serious about them. With all the money tied up in everything but the receiver, it would be a shame not to be able to use it. Your own guys there in NY contacted me and twisted my arm to do this.I just came up with it to help out. Craig
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When I did the fixed mag FAB10 for Calif. back in 2001, one of the biggest issues was that you could not drop the mag to clear out any feed issues. Some times it was necessary to pop both pins and completely remove the upper. The mag in the NY 10 drops down 1 1/2 inches and allows you to clear the weapon .I just lock the carrier back and shake it and all the loose rounds fall out. Look, I hate the fact that we have to do these kind of things as much as anyone. Here in Calif. we are not too far behind you guys. I will be damned if I will let them completely disarm us, or have us register our rifles. I felt that it was better to be able to reconfigure your rifle so that you could still use it, without registering. That I felt ,was a far better option than a disassembled rifle hidden some where. I assume that most will always have their stripped lower if ever there is a time it doesn't matter any more.I have seen some of your guys rifles. You are pretty serious about them. With all the money tied up in everything but the receiver, it would be a shame not to be able to use it. Your own guys there in NY contacted me and twisted my arm to do this.I just came up with it to help out. Craig
View Quote

Don't think we don't appreciate this. We do.

We're just sorry that it's come to this.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong either, the self contained receiver IS safer and easier than simply locking in a magazine. Believe me we are in agreement in both premise and concept.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

ECI
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why can't you hit the mag release lowering the mag and rack the slide once.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can, I wrongly compared the NY10 against the "fixed" bullet-button design: the BB works, but IMHO is an accident waiting to happen because it doesn't lend itself to be cleared as easily as dropping the mag and ejecting a round.  The NY10 is a better option; not as good as a regular drop-mag receiver, but the point is to keep an otherwise "illegal" rifle legal in NY as well as the obligatory FUAC.
I don't have a problem, issue, or bitch about the NY10, in fact I'm happy somebody is willing to build it.  
I have a rifle with a Bullet-Button: I think it works, but there's a danger factor in that you have to take extra, deliberate steps to clear the rifle, and the possibility exists to inadvertently chamber a round, which may or may not be an issue ESPECIALLY during a stressful event.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:12:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like clearing the NY10.

The opening allows me to see the follower and th chamber which is all I need.

I have a friend with an MR2 and I really don't feel comfortable with it at the range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:19:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

alctually this design solves that potential problem far far better than any other current design. thats one of its inherit advantages.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top