Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 10:59:19 PM EDT
Has anyone been to this range before?

I read they have a 100 yard indoor range which sounds pretty interesting.  

I noticed one of their rules is "Eye and ear protection (ear muffs, not plugs) must be worn at all times."

Are they serious?  If it's something they enforce I'm going to have to go elsewhere.  I was planning on going there with a rifle and I always use plugs for rifles/shotguns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a nice indoor 100 yard range.  The place is clean and well maintained.  They give a range briefing and enforce the rules.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Muffs are better for your hearing anyhow.  Plugs don't protect the outer ear, and believe it or not, it is susceptible to damage from loud noise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:06:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Muffs are better for your hearing anyhow.  Plugs don't protect the outer ear, and believe it or not, it is susceptible to damage from loud noise.
View Quote

Can you cite to some science to back that up? I am skeptical.

I m not saying you re wrong but I would like to see some support
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Wear both-your hearing will thank you
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Stick an ear plug in your ear then tap on the top part of your ear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 3:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has anyone been to this range before? First I've heard of it; how about an address/web site.

I read they have a 100 yard indoor range which sounds pretty interesting.  
There's not too many indoor ranges around, especially 100yds.

I noticed one of their rules is "Eye and ear protection (ear muffs, not plugs) must be worn at all times."
Their Range, their rules: Ever try to get into a Night Club with a dress code you weren't meeting? How about a fitness Center requiring eye protection while playing a certain sport?

Are they serious?  If it's something they enforce I'm going to have to go elsewhere.  I was planning on going there with a rifle and I always use plugs for rifles/shotguns.
That's your choice; they didn't have you as a customer before, so there's no loss....ask the guy who literally lost an eye playing paintball why a face mask is important.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone been to this range before? First I've heard of it; how about an address/web site.

http://www.davisshootingsports.com/range.asp
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]

http://www.davisshootingsports.com/range.asp

That's a nice Range!
Bet it was expensive too!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#9]
It is a very nice range.  I believe it's $22.50 for an hour of range time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless you're trying to work up a load or dial in a rifle, experience has taught that an hour is sufficient trigger time for most shooters. (of course there's additional time for un-loading/picking up/setting up/packing up, but the time you actually spend shooting is only an hour.
IMHO $22.50 an hour for a clean, well lighted, indoor Range is pretty good especially in an area where there aren't many alternatives.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]
the range is only 15 minutes from my house..

I will say that it is a very nice and clean range, has modern electronic ranging target sleds.. (dial a range in and hit send, it goes right there)

They are very strict about the rules, no rapid fire, no more than 5 rounds in a magazine,Ear Muffs and Eye protection REQUIRED *ear plugs alone are not permitted*..

No steel core or AP ammo permitted (and ammo there can be a little on the high side so i recommend buying somewhere else)

Shotgun is slug only, no shot shells allowed..

Minimum allowed pistol range is 10 yards

Minimum allowed Rifle / shotgun range is 25 yards

The RO (if its the tall old guy that day), is a bit of a pain in the ass and can be intolerable for some people, but as long as you keep the time between shots to more than 2 seconds, he generally leaves you alone..

$22.50 an hour..
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Final question about the range for people that have been there...do they have comfortable chairs/seats?  is the height of the seating good?  What I mean is does the height work with the table/shelf/or whatever you can brace a rifle/bipod against that they have.

I ask because the Nassau county indoor range has terrible seating the height is all wrong.  I find it makes precision shooting more challenging and perhaps makes it impossible to shoot as well as I would with a good bench or prone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Bottom line attitude problems . Its the only range on town or so they think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Bottom line attitude problems . Its the only range in town or so they think.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Final question about the range for people that have been there...do they have comfortable chairs/seats?  is the height of the seating good?  What I mean is does the height work with the table/shelf/or whatever you can brace a rifle/bipod against that they have.

I ask because the Nassau county indoor range has terrible seating the height is all wrong.  I find it makes precision shooting more challenging and perhaps makes it impossible to shoot as well as I would with a good bench or prone.
View Quote

They booths have tables that are changeable to allow for right hand or left hand shooting.. they have adjustable stools in every booth..  its pretty comfortable,, your going to need to bring your own sand / lead shot bags or sled if you want to use them..

That being said.. its still not my first choice in ranges..
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:31:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
I pay less than that for a year at an outdoor range.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Last time I went it was 22.50. Guys can have a little attitude at times.

Stupid rule of only 3 or 5 rounds in a mag at a time, no matter the capacity.

NO RAPID FIRE. Anything faster than a muzzle loader is considered rapid fire to them. I went to zero my AR and I had an RO stand behind me the whole time. He actually scolded me when I was zeroing for firing too fast. Yeah ok

They are the only local indoor 100 yard range, and they know it. I'd much rather go to Masterclass, but that's pistols and rimfire only really. But Masterclass hasn't been the same since Dennis passed away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Its good to go. The range master will go over the rules. Then he'll leave you alone as long as your not an idiot. Rifle and shotgun from bench seating only. Its a chair on wheels with no back. Good enough to get it done.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:23:06 AM EDT
[#20]
They actually have brand new chairs that are black hard plastic with backs and have adjustable height. I've never had a problem there shooting about one shot every second. The 5 round and 25 yard (wanted to work on my muzzle/optic offset a bit) rules kind of blow, but on the up side it forces you to practice reloading a lot. Like any other place I've ever been to that sells guns, everyone has a personality, some you may enjoy more than others, but that's an individual thing. I get that the prices for indoor ranges are a little high, but my lifestyle forces me to pick a day to shoot and shoot on that day no matter what the weather is like so to me its worth every penny and they're the only place nearby I know of that goes out to 100 yards. I also imagine that they're not cheap to maintain/ventilate/insure. For handguns, though, I always go to Master Class.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
will agree to everything, been there about 10-12 times, great range, great ventilation, great light, can have an attitude
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#22]
If the weather is crappy the day I plan on testing my rifle I'll go there.  I bought a peltor tactical 100 today although I will probably double up ears it won't be enough for my rifle indoors since it has a big brake.

I'm still waiting for it to come back. I'm interested in testing the accuracy potential off a bipod.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Its like shooting in an oil tank so be prepared to wear a good Heavy ear protection as the guys say. I have a problem with the attitude.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
NO RAPID FIRE. Anything faster than a muzzle loader is considered rapid fire to them.
View Quote

So, how many hours of range time should I plan for to zero an AR at that rate?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#25]
1 hour is plenty.  Use a large target.  If you use a small one and you are off paper,  you will never be able  to find the holes to adjust.

Set the target at 25 yards and fire a group of 5 shots.  I say 5 because you are more than likely going to still get a group if you screw up and have a flier or 2.  If you just shoot 3 and you screw one shot up,  it's harder to see where the rifle is actually shooting. With 5 it is alot easier.

After shooting the 5 shots,  move the whole group center by adjusting your sights. Adjust your sights and fire another 5. Rinse and repeat until the majority of your shots are center.  If you are zeroing at 25 yards you are done. If you need a 100 yard zero move it to 50 adjust and then move it to 100. Always zero in increments or you will waste ammo.

If your AR is 5.56 the best zero is 50 yards.  With that zero,  your shots will be within 3 inches up or down out to about 300 yards with no change in aim points.

2 boxes of ammo and a half hour should be all you need maximum if you do not rush your shots.  

The key is to not rush.

I have seen guys brand new to shooting there wasting  ammo  and not being able to zero because they fire one shot and try to adjust.  I have helped them out with the 5 shot method starting at 25 and they were done quickly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
^ This. And I'll add that Davis is a great place to zero. Its nice to be able to bring the target in after every grouping and since you're going slow and shooting only a few rounds at a time the strict rules really don't make a difference in that scenario.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#27]
They   will   definitely  tap  U  on the shoulder  with  about  5 min to  go,  so  You dont  run  over  the  hour,,

Dennis at  Master Class  was  a great  guy,  had  a lot  of  fun, spent a  lot of  $$  there...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sound is transmitted thru your body via many means. Higher frequencies are more damaging as they require less energy to produce. Mid frequencies are THE MOST damaging as this is where our hearing is attuned for maximum sensitivity and vocal speech intelligibility (800Hz  - 3000Hz). Our bodies generally resonate at around 1kHz, which means the bones in your chest, face and those around the ear are going to transmit sound to your inner ear.

If you are that skeptical, and from your initial post I sense some mild pushback to something designed to protect your long term hearing maybe you should do your own research.

I've shot there, never had a problem with the rules, the staff  - as I understand what it takes to keep the lights on at a range (maintain the structure and keep an insurance policy intact).

I left there thinking maybe all the people bitching about this range might be talking about some other range...

/ML

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
1 hour is plenty.  Use a large target.  If you use a small one and you are off paper,  you will never be able  to find the holes to adjust.

Set the target at 25 yards and fire a group of 5 shots.  I say 5 because you are more than likely going to still get a group if you screw up and have a flier or 2.  If you just shoot 3 and you screw one shot up,  it's harder to see where the rifle is actually shooting. With 5 it is alot easier.

After shooting the 5 shots,  move the whole group center by adjusting your sights. Adjust your sights and fire another 5. Rinse and repeat until the majority of your shots are center.  If you are zeroing at 25 yards you are done. If you need a 100 yard zero move it to 50 adjust and then move it to 100. Always zero in increments or you will waste ammo.

If your AR is 5.56 the best zero is 50 yards.  With that zero,  your shots will be within 3 inches up or down out to about 300 yards with no change in aim points.

2 boxes of ammo and a half hour should be all you need maximum if you do not rush your shots.  

The key is to not rush.

I have seen guys brand new to shooting there wasting  ammo  and not being able to zero because they fire one shot and try to adjust.  I have helped them out with the 5 shot method starting at 25 and they were done quickly.
View Quote

It should only take 2-3 shots to zero an ar15.  Here is my procedure (only requirement is that you have a room that is at least 10 feet long and a ruler).

1. At your home measure the distance between the center of your optic/sight height and roughly where the bore is.  Make a piece of paper with a blue mark and a red mark each about quarter inch.  The distance between the dots should be ~0.25" less than the sights height over bore. If height over bore 2.5 then 2 dots 2.25" apart
2. Take the upper off your rifle and find a flat surface to prop it on that can point at a wall about 10' away.  

3.  Tape piece of paper to the wall and use a level to make sure the dots are level up and down.

4.  Look through the bore of your rifle (take bcg out) so it lines up with the bottom dot.  Carefully without moving the upper adjust your scope/red dot/sights on the top dot.  Triple check.  

5. Go to range setup target at 25 yards you will be on paper.  Take one careful shot measure the distance in elevation and windage between where you aimed and where the shot went. Adjust your sight making adjustments to move where you aimed to where you hit. Congrats you now have a 25 yard zero in 1 shot.

Now that you have a 25 yard zero adjust up 4.25moa then shoot at 50 yards you will only be off by a smidge depending on sight height.  adjust accordly if you wish

For 100 zero after doing the 25 yard zero adjust up 5.75 moa test at 100 adjust if necessary.

6.  Take half the ammo you were about to waste and mail it to beachhead...profit lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I went to Davis today.

The stool/chair height and height of the shelf are all kinds of wrong.  I could not once get into a good natural point of aim on my rifle (with a bipod).  

Every shot I took involved craning my neck like some type of contortionist to try to get a proper scope/eye alignment...my neck literally hurts right now.  

The place was organized, clean with a large selection of guns/ammo/accessories but generally high prices.  In that regard I was impressed but it was totally not worth it given that the stool and the shelf height were all wrong...that is unless you use a mechanical benchrest in which case it probably works just fine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been up all night, so don't quote me on it, but I thought the chairs were adjustable. Am I remembering wrong?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been up all night, so don't quote me on it, but I thought the chairs were adjustable. Am I remembering wrong?
View Quote

You are correct however even at their lowest setting they are way too high for the shelf height... I guess they could be a good height for a child, small woman or little person (dwarf).

I don't think I am the only one that felt that way. The man in the lane next to me was shooting off his knees.  At first I wasn't sure if he was praying or what.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are correct however even at their lowest setting they are way too high for the shelf height... I guess they could be a good height for a child, small woman or little person (dwarf).

I don't think I am the only one that felt that way. The man in the lane next to me was shooting off his knees.  At first I wasn't sure if he was praying or what.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been there a handful of times and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been to Davis once.. their restrictions on ammo type, how fast you can shoot, how many rounds in a mag and their attitude rubbed me the wrong way. I ended up joining a club
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top