Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 12:32:33 PM EDT
Good afternoon,

I will be on Long Island Easter weekend and have a few questions. I searched the links in the forum and did some internet searching, but could not locate the answers to a few questions. I would like to go sporting clay shooting. I will be in Suffolk county. In order to get from Maryland to ny we travel through New Jersey, Staten Island , Brooklyn, and lastly queens. I would like to bring my own shotgun (it is a beretta with no 'tactical' add ons) and my own shells.

My questions are:

1. Is it lawful for me to travel through the Burroughs and be on Long Island with that firearm in a case with shells in a separate bag?

2. Are there any specific laws I should be aware of while possessing the shotgun and shells?

3. If I brought a second shotgun (basic pump shotgun) could one of my in-laws go shooting with me?

Thanks for your time and responses. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Good afternoon,

I will be on Long Island Easter weekend and have a few questions. I searched the links in the forum and did some internet searching, but could not locate the answers to a few questions. I would like to go sporting clay shooting. I will be in Suffolk county. In order to get from Maryland to ny we travel through New Jersey, Staten Island , Brooklyn, and lastly queens. I would like to bring my own shotgun (it is a beretta with no 'tactical' add ons) and my own shells.

My questions are:

1. Is it lawful for me to travel through the Burroughs and be on Long Island with that firearm in a case with shells in a separate bag?

2. Are there any specific laws I should be aware of while possessing the shotgun and shells?

3. If I brought a second shotgun (basic pump shotgun) could one of my in-laws go shooting with me?

View Quote
Is the Beretta a semi-auto?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The beretta is semi auto.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
First off, an advance welcome to LI - hope you have an enjoyable trip!  Seems you've already correctly identified NY as the firearms owners' hell that it is.

Quoted:

My questions are:

There shouldn't be any problem with possession of the shotgun(s) and ammunition once in Nassau/Suffolk counties.  Of course, laws concerning loaded weapons in vehicles, menacing, etc., still apply.  Re: travel through NJ and NYC: I'm not sure what NJ long guns laws are.  In NYC, a permit is required for any possession.  You should be covered by FOPA, however, for transit through NJ/NYC.  Make no unnecessary stops, have all firearms unloaded, cased, and locked in a separate compartment (see FOPA requirements via google, but it sounds like you already know).  I also print out a copy of the USC FOPA law and keep it with me when travelling -- there's always the potential to run into a cop who has no idea what the law is.  As long as you're not stopped anywhere, there shouldn't even be the potential to have an issue.

You said the shotgun has no "tactical" add-ons, but it is an auto.  Does it have (1) a folding or telescoping stock, (2) thumbhole stock, (3) a second hand grip or protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand, (4) a fixed magazine capacity of more than seven rounds, or (5) a detachable magazine?  If the answer to any of those 5 questions is YES, then NYS thinks you have an "assault weapon," and since I'm assuming it's not registered here, it is illegal to possess, even on LI.  I'm sure there are other laws that affect shotgun possession/use (eg. loaded in vehicle, discharging near homes, age restrictions, etc.), but I can't think of any others that aren't fairly common sense/predictable or that most other localities don't also have.  Perhaps someone will chime in with something I've missed.

Good news is that pump shotguns cannot be considered "assault weapons."  As long as the barrel is 18" or longer and total length 26" or longer (a federal law anyway), and in-laws aren't felons, addicts, etc., you should be good to go.  Sporting clays place will likely only require proof of age, if anything.

View Quote

Good on you for being safe rather than sorry.  Nothing sadder than seeing people who are trying to do the right thing get locked up in our libtard state anyway.  Disclaimer: IANAL.  Hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm or correct.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#4]
My beretta shogun is stock. It looks like a typical semi auto shotgun you'd see in the duck blind. Looks similar to the beretta a400 or Benelux super black eagle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't get pulled over in nj or nyc.  Your travel is federally protected however you will likely still be arrested and have to fight it in court if you get pulled over in nj or nyc.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Have fun.
http://www.suffolkclays.com/
http://www.longislandshootingrange.com/
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a little late responding but wanted to say thank you all for your help. We were able to shoot at Suffolk clays. I also brought 2 new yorkers with me. Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top