Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2015 6:14:55 PM EDT
I have a 2nd car so luckily I won't need to drive daily on an expired inspection.
It's a 13 year old suv, so I was planning on replacing it in another year or two anyway, but yesterday I took it for an inspection and it failed due to a hole rusted in the frame. What really makes me mad is that it only has 90000 miles on it so the rust is all that's really wrong, and the body only has one small area of visible rust that I am keeping in check with spray paint so overall it's still a good vehicle

Anyone know of a shop that might be able to do some frame welding to get it to pass for at least another year?

click for larger size
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Eek man. I don't know that welding a corroded frame is a legal or prudent fix
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of vehicle is it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need a different inspection station...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe Don's Welding in Transit Rd. in Depew
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#5]
very common problem with wranglers (yj and tj) by the time you see the issue with a frame the frame is shot.

If its a unibody its worse... for safety sake scrap the vehicle and look for another one.

even if its plated where u can see the issue there is more that's ready to get to that point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#6]
2002 trailblazer
basically I just want it to pass inspection for one more year if possible so I don't have to rush into getting a replacement vehicle and don't have to expose my summer/fun car to salt since there still is some on the roads
I was already planning on replacing it in a year or so

I know it's probably a long shot

just sucks that NY's over reliance on salt instead of proper plowing has resulted in a vehicle that is otherwise in good shape and low mileage for its age to have to be scrapped for parts
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe Don's Welding in Transit Rd. in Depew
View Quote

thanks, I'll look into contacting them
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2002 trailblazer
basically I just want it to pass inspection for one more year if possible so I don't have to rush into getting a replacement vehicle and don't have to expose my summer/fun car to salt since there still is some on the roads
I was already planning on replacing it in a year or so

I know it's probably a long shot

just sucks that NY's over reliance on salt instead of proper plowing has resulted in a vehicle that is otherwise in good shape and low mileage for its age to have to be scrapped for parts
View Quote

It does suck, salt kills it.  I frequent car wash in the winter but that's just slowing it down.  CT vehicles are mint underneath because they do not salt, I believe they use sand.  Their roads benefit from it also, no pot holes.

I believe you can weld in NY, my buddy did his TJ, but the real question is how much metal needs to be patched/replaced?  The area around the hole could be weak for quite a bit of length.  The welding may turn into a cost issue.

For the future, consider a shop that does undercoating with a warrantee or POR 15 it yourself.  Did my plow truck last summer and it's been holding up very well.

Good luck with the project.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#9]
as a welder by trade (no longer)... ill chime in.

your going to have a hard time finding a quality shop willing to bite into that repair.   that isn't a simple patch job as there is hardly anything good to weld a plate to.  from the picture that looks like a cross member.  if so you MIGHT be able to scab a pick-n-pull cross member into but that could be a costly job.  I would say it would be easy if it wasn't so swiss cheese, even doable ..  a weld is only good as the metal its going onto ...  

the really only RIGHT way to do it is a new xmember ...  good luck op..  might be time to bite the bullet and part her out or scrap it and look to the future..  

fuck NY.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
If ya really wanted to cover it, you could spray the gaps and cracks foam in there.  Then use rustoleum flat paint to spray the frame.  And of course, go to a different inspection station
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Made to look good, probably not.

Repaired, fuck no. That chassis is screwed, at least for a price the OP is willing to pay. Once you have holes, the rest is probably pretty shot. There is just nothing to weld too that will retain any strength.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If ya really wanted to cover it, you could spray the gaps and cracks foam in there.  Then use rustoleum flat paint to spray the frame.
View Quote

That's how my buddy would get his '76 Chevy van to pass in Maryland. The law was something like rust holes in the body could only be so many inches large. So he would duct tape over the holes, spray it with primer and it would pass.  All so stupid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:35:06 AM EDT
[#13]
watertown, northern welding, they rebuilt my fathers 88 half ton. cut out the old, welded in the new. To the toon of 1200 bones.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#14]
If it's just you...then I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

If you have kids or a significant other....scrap that SUV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If ya really wanted to cover it, you could spray the gaps and cracks foam in there.  Then use rustoleum flat paint to spray the frame.  And of course, go to a different inspection station
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Call around. As a long time car enthusiast I assure you the frames are repaired all the time. I'm in Syracuse so I can't help with a specific shop recommendation.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a hard one . I have seen a bunch of trailblazers in st. lawrence county that have the same problem , front frame horn rusting out . You could try a different insp. station but repair is complicated and not cheap . Good luck .
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Take a look at www.autorust.com
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't die or flee the thread never to return , just have had internet issues. I can add time warner to things I hate this week
I haven't decided for sure what I'm going to do yet. I did climb under the front and the hole looks worse in the pic than in person. That was the pic the mechanic took
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Plate patch, I'd let it fly if I was still inspecting...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]
That needs more than a simple patch.

When they start to get that bad it's time to sell it to some crazy person on craigslist and let them deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:57:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like you need a different inspection station...
View Quote

This^ go to another. try a a few places even if you have to. Someone will pass it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That needs more than a simple patch.

When they start to get that bad it's time to sell it to some crazy person on craigslist and let them deal with it.
View Quote

It depends on whether or not you can poke hole around the edges with a screwdriver or punch, it didn't look that bad to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top