Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2015 10:20:23 AM EDT

NYSRPA statement clarifying intent of mandatory firearms storage legislation

Story by Post-Star misrepresents intent of proposed bill

ALBANY, NY (03/23/2015)(readMedia)-- The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association feels the need to issue a clarification statement regarding proposed state legislation referenced in the March 21 Post-Star story,"Assemblywoman asks students about gun safety."

The article misrepresents the intent of the mandatory firearms storage bill A-53. The bill prohibits the keeping of firearms readily available for personal protection inside the home. It has been around for decades and debated repeatedly by members of the State Assembly so there is no confusion as to what the legislative intent is.

In 2006 prime sponsor Assemblyman Harvey Weisenberg was specifically asked by Assemblyman David Townsend during the floor discussion whether the bill would impact his ability to keep a loaded .38 revolver next to his bed for personal protection. Assemblyman Townsend asked if he could be prosecuted if an unauthorized person obtained access to his gun and Assemblyman Weisenberg unequivocally stated, "to me that would be negligence."

The Supreme Court ruled in the case of Heller v. District of Columbia that laws requiring rendering firearms inoperable or locked in such a manner as to be inaccessible for self defense are unconstitutional. This decision was reaffirmed in 2008 by Suffolk County Court in the case of Colaiacovo v. Dormer with Judge Gary J. Weber stating, "Simply put, the State of New York and its agencies are no longer in a position to require that a handgun be stored in an inoperable condition or otherwise locked up if it is otherwise legally present in the owner's dwelling."

NYSRPA opposes A-53 and encourages all members of the legislature to vote against it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

ALBANY, NY (03/23/2015)(readMedia)-- The New York State Rifle & Pistol Association feels the need to issue a clarification statement regarding proposed state legislation referenced in the March 21 Post-Star story,"Assemblywoman asks students about gun safety."

The article misrepresents the intent of the mandatory firearms storage bill A-53. The bill prohibits the keeping of firearms readily available for personal protection inside the home. It has been around for decades and debated repeatedly by members of the State Assembly so there is no confusion as to what the legislative intent is.

In 2006 prime sponsor Assemblyman Harvey Weisenberg was specifically asked by Assemblyman David Townsend during the floor discussion whether the bill would impact his ability to keep a loaded .38 revolver next to his bed for personal protection. Assemblyman Townsend asked if he could be prosecuted if an unauthorized person obtained access to his gun and Assemblyman Weisenberg unequivocally stated, "to me that would be negligence."

The Supreme Court ruled in the case of Heller v. District of Columbia that laws requiring rendering firearms inoperable or locked in such a manner as to be inaccessible for self defense are unconstitutional. This decision was reaffirmed in 2008 by Suffolk County Court in the case of Colaiacovo v. Dormer with Judge Gary J. Weber stating, "Simply put, the State of New York and its agencies are no longer in a position to require that a handgun be stored in an inoperable condition or otherwise locked up if it is otherwise legally present in the owner's dwelling."

NYSRPA opposes A-53 and encourages all members of the legislature to vote against it.

View Quote

interesting so Westchester Co is in violation than. As soon as you obtain certain amount of hanguns you have to allow a on site visit by the SO to verify you have a safe that meets there requirements.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

interesting so Westchester Co is in violation than. As soon as you obtain certain amount of hanguns you have to allow a on site visit by the SO to verify you have a safe that meets there requirements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then hang the above on your front door and leave a handgun on the table.  If they give you a hard time they can no longer claim ignorance and are open to a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Then hang the above on your front door and leave a handgun on the table.  If they give you a hard time they can no longer claim ignorance and are open to a lawsuit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You assume they can read...or will stop long enough to do so...or even care about the bounds of immunity.  You wouldn't believe the laws cops believe...duty to retreat in your own home, administrative agencies can do anything because their decisions can be arbitrary and capricious....and all of it flies.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit like this is why I don't own a handgun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to see a Samuel Jackson ad campaign directed at these gun control idiots.

"The Heller decion, mutherfucker!  Did you fuckin read it?!?!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I store them however I want to.  My house, my rules.  Simple.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 'em the way alcoholics hide bottles of booze: everywhere!  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Good, let them pass it.  If they do and it becomes law then the Federal courts will strike it down under Heller and incorporate it for the 2nd district.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good, let them pass it.  If they do and it becomes law then the Federal courts will strike it down under Heller and incorporate it for the 2nd district.
View Quote

Someday
Eventually
Maybe
Who knows anymore
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Zero fucks given in regards to storage "laws".  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sums it up for me anymore.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, are we there yet?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, are we there yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, are we there yet?

Been there since Jan 2013
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, this might get interesting... With out going into to many details, I happened to know someone who is currently being charged, after someone broke into his home, and stole his handgun and used it in a crime. Details are sketchy right now, but from what I gather he admitted that the handgun was not locked up, and thats why they are charging him. He has to turn in, ALL his gun, not just his hand guns, but everything.. Im not going to post the details of this, or a links with out his permission. However If someone wants to PM me with ideas, or advice for this guy I can offer a bit more info. I already told him to get a lawyer, and shut his mouth, but sadly he does not understand how serious this can be..
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Flower bed + garbage bag + shovel = what rifles?

Nysp already knows how many nys purchased pistols one might have... Long guns not so much
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well, this might get interesting... With out going into to many details, I happened to know someone who is currently being charged, after someone broke into his home, and stole his handgun and used it in a crime. Details are sketchy right now, but from what I gather he admitted that the handgun was not locked up, and thats why they are charging him. He has to turn in, ALL his gun, not just his hand guns, but everything.. Im not going to post the details of this, or a links with out his permission. However If someone wants to PM me with ideas, or advice for this guy I can offer a bit more info. I already told him to get a lawyer, and shut his mouth, but sadly he does not understand how serious this can be..
View Quote
He's been charged?  So, already been to court and he doesn't want a lawyer?  Sounds like he has ignored the single most important piece of advice anyone can give him right now.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He's been charged?  So, already been to court and he doesn't want a lawyer?  Sounds like he has ignored the single most important piece of advice anyone can give him right now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill know more as is unfolds.. Im curious as to what the charges will actually be my self.. I believe he is now in contact with a lawyer and Scope. The sad fact is, this guy had his home broken into, and his weapon stolen... AND he is getting arrested...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you find at least a little bit ironic that we now live in a country where you really don't have the capability to defend yourself in any way? You can defend yourself physically and you can't defend yourself in a court room. Sure you technically do both, but everyone knows that neither will end well and both will most likely end up with you in some serious trouble.

The USA... built for lawyers, by lawyers
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't you find at least a little bit ironic that we now live in a country where you really don't have the capability to defend yourself in any way? You can defend yourself physically and you can't defend yourself in a court room. Sure you technically do both, but everyone knows that neither will end well and both will most likely end up with you in some serious trouble.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only people that these laws do not effect are criminals. Criminals are gonna crime anyway, in fact they are making it easier and easier for the criminals these days.. Look at my buddy now? he was a victim of a crime, and now he is being charged with a crime, and has lost his right to defend him self....
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you get charged if someone steals your car and uses it to run someone over or rob a bank?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nysp already knows how many nys purchased pistols one might have... Long guns not so much
View Quote

No officer, those long guns all belong to the other people in the home, none of them are mine. We just store everything in the same safe for cost reasons.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No officer, those long guns all belong to the other people in the home, none of them are mine. We just store everything in the same safe for cost reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Serious question along these lines... Say the State boys come and take your guns, but you hid a few... Say your rights get restored your guns are returned, Can you then "Find" your guns again? or will you be guilty of a committing a crime, while being wrongfully accused of a crime..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#23]
"Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up"  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Shoot, Shovel, Shut-up"  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

What county or area of the state?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun was stolen in one county, and used in a crime in a different one.. Its in western NY thats all I feel comfortable saying at the moment..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, I got more information. Its semi good news. He is not being charged currently. However he had to surrender his permit and his handguns, and wont receive them back until he goes in front of a judge.. His hand gun was stolen, and used to shoot a cop, and the perp ended up dead. He called the sheriff after he herd about the shooting, and noticed his weapon was missing. He admitted his gun was not locked up in his house. The sheriff return his call about a day later and told him the state police had his firearm, and that he was being instructed to go confiscate his weapons, as they were going to charge him (for not having his weapon secured in his home). The sheriff told him to lawyer up, and they will be over in a few days to collect his guns.. His lawyer advised him to turn his permit and handguns over and comply. At this time he is not being charged, but they want him for questioning, and a statement..
It sounds like a neighboring county wants the statement, and confirmation that it was his firearm, and it was stolen and used to shoot the cop. Sorry if i was vague with details. In hind site, I should have waited until I had all the details before I posted. At the time I said he was being charged, he was told by the sheriff department he was going to be charged.
Now, he still is in some hot water his permit has been yanked, and if the judge decides not to re issue his permit, wouldnt that allow them to keep all his guns? . All and all its a messed up situation and Im hoping it all goes well for him. When and if he get his guns back ill be sure to update.  Heres a Link to the story that should help with the missing parts..
Sorry for the thread hijack, at the time I was under the impression he was being charged for not having his weapon secured in his home, and I thought it would be relevant to this topic..
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, I got more information. Its semi good news. He is not being charged currently. However he had to surrender his permit and his handguns, and wont receive them back until he goes in front of a judge.. His hand gun was stolen, and used to shoot a cop, and the perp ended up dead. He called the sheriff after he herd about the shooting, and noticed his weapon was missing. He admitted his gun was not locked up in his house. The sheriff return his call about a day later and told him the state police had his firearm, and that he was being instructed to go confiscate his weapons, as they were going to charge him (for not having his weapon secured in his home). The sheriff told him to lawyer up, and they will be over in a few days to collect his guns.. His lawyer advised him to turn his permit and handguns over and comply. At this time he is not being charged, but they want him for questioning, and a statement..
It sounds like a neighboring county wants the statement, and confirmation that it was his firearm, and it was stolen and used to shoot the cop. Sorry if i was vague with details. In hind site, I should have waited until I had all the details before I posted. At the time I said he was being charged, he was told by the sheriff department he was going to be charged.
Now, he still is in some hot water his permit has been yanked, and if the judge decides not to re issue his permit, wouldnt that allow them to keep all his guns? . All and all its a messed up situation and Im hoping it all goes well for him. When and if he get his guns back ill be sure to update.  Heres a Link to the story that should help with the missing parts..
Sorry for the thread hijack, at the time I was under the impression he was being charged for not having his weapon secured in his home, and I thought it would be relevant to this topic..
View Quote

Wait so I'm still trying to figure out how any of this was his fault?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#29]
The perp is dead. So someone still has to be punished, and made an example of. Utter bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The perp is dead. So someone still has to be punished, and made an example of. Utter bullshit.
View Quote

Bingo.. The perp was a real scum bag too, in and out of jail, and actually just let out ( drug court, good behavior ect).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That what his lawyer said.. However you know damn well that if they can find something to charge him with, they will. Or keep his permit..
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Cop got shot with his gun, this is retribution because they mad and he is vaguely connected to what happened

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Someday
Eventually
Maybe
Who knows anymore
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Someday
Eventually
Maybe
Who knows anymore

This.  I mean this is NY... they already ignore FOPA so why would they care if a federal court says their laws are unconstitutional?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top