Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2015 10:41:43 AM EDT
go or a no go?

I'll reserve my opinion at this time...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a vet and I believe its very patriotic. Many vets are fighting for our freedoms making big sacrifices and missing their children's births.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no issues with it
The libs mistreat the flag with glee
That pic is not mis-treating the flag
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at the source, CNN, fuck those clowns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:25:13 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

None of my business but it seems like another instance of boots doing boot things.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Against regs but I would not call it unpatriotic.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.
The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

None of my business but it seems like another instance of boots doing boot things.
View Quote

So as far as a regulatory thing ... Obviously it's not to spec. But I wonder if the human life transcends those specs, given that the Flag represents the country which is made up of the people.

I wonder, if I will leave this world with a flag draped over the box I'm in, can I enter it cradled in Old Glory?

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Certainly not meant to disrespect the flag.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Given the situation, I'd say absolutely not disrespectful. I'd call it a beautiful and visually striking image. Not a Vet, but an Eagle Scout for what thats worth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I think the picture is fine, due to the flag being used in an artistic way.
We have all seen, either in person or on tv, the bad things done to
and with the US flag. I have seen my/our flag burned, torn, dragged, flown sideways,
upside down,worn as a shirt, bandana, shorts.....the NYC subway cars even have
It flying the wrong way on one side of the cars....the list goes on and on.

As a veteran myself and having a grandfather who was a WW2 Army veteran,
I have and always will greatly respect the US flag and what it stands for.
Some do not and will not respect our flag, even if is their countrys flag.  
The Constution protects everyones rights and views.
I have often said, everything that makes this country great is also its downfall at times
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Considering the things other have done (and were protected under the 1st) I'd say there's nothing really "wrong" with this.  Now the liberals may well be angry because the baby wasn't aborted.  
The Sailor in the picture made a fau pax in that his name and U.S. Navy were displayed.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
My only concern with this photo is that I think holding a baby in a hand-held improvised hammock is dangerous.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Context means everything.  If a guy tells you to go fuck yourself while you're driving or an attractive woman tells you she wants to fuck the shit out of you, the types of emotions that the word fuck generates are vastly different in those contexts.

When we fail to judge things based on the situation/context we are as bad as libtards.

I am not a vet but I am good with it.  His act was not out of disrespect in fact... now if someone posts a picture of them wiping a babies ass with the American flag that's  disrespectful.

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
i welcome the actions in that photo ..   20 fold

when compared to the little faggots in california that banned the Colors from their state university just so they don't hurt other faggots feels
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#14]
OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it's a really nice picture. My grandfather, who was a WW2 vet, taught me to put up and take down the flag every day. He taught me never to let the flag touch the ground and would help me fold it properly. I do not think this would have saddened, angered, or disrespected him in any way and he loved this country more than most people today could even understand. Against regs, sure. But I don't see any outrage at wrestlers wearing it as a cape or speedo. The internet police is pretty silent on all the flag patterned napkins that get used on the 4th of July. All of this is just people on the internet with too much time and no username to ARFCOM to fill that time

I think it Beachhead said it best: it's all about context.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to many BBQs with flag napkins and never worried.

I think that's a good photo.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't bother me.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a VET of two foreign wars.  I signed up to fight on foreign soil so we would not have to here!  And to defend our Constitution!

Now I'm sure there are many who agree with the picture in question, and many that don't.  Either way there is a bigger story here in my opinion.  Which is freedom of speech and expression.

Regardless if it goes against the proper handling of the flag by a soldier/sailor in uniform or by anyone for that matter.  Every man and woman who has dared to don the uniform of our United States Armed Services has done so to defend freedom.  Flag burning, do I agree with it?  No, I do not, however, the freedoms given to each citizen by this country allow them to do so.  It is not my place for me to go up and throatpunch the guy that is desecrating our flag (it probably would make me feel better), we have given him that freedom.  I can only try to educate.

Now for the sailor in the picture.  I really don't take any issue with it.  But, oh-boy, if that was not a command sponsored picture or in some way authorized by the Navy, I'm sure he'll have to answer for it.

And it just so happens that I'm prior Navy!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Against flag etiquette rules for sure.

I think the people making that picture had good intentions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top