BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget to get the little hooky trigger guard, klubfunstore.com stocks them for $20.
http://i62.tinypic.com/rc22dg.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Don't forget to get the little hooky trigger guard, klubfunstore.com stocks them for $20.
http://i62.tinypic.com/rc22dg.jpg

I just visited that site and couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 6:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
"I hope that guy tries to comeback and break in again in a few months."

No matter what tool of self defense you may have, if he does come back, this is the kind of statement that a prosecutor would love to pull from the internet, to paint you as a callous premeditated killer.  

Edit that post.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He doesn't really need to cite this.

Can you site a law that says the magazine has to be PERMANENTLY fixed?

If the law requires a magazine to be permanently fixed, then ALL guns would be illegal - SKS, Garand etc...since ALL magazines can be removed with some tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the community, and my sympathies to any losses you suffered. Fingers crossed that the scumbag climbs in the wrong window, is greeted by what you're looking to attain,  and dies slow and bloody.

Moving on, we have 2 options:
1- A featureless rifle, which means it can't have a threaded barrel, a grip that protrudes lower than the trigger guard, a collapsible stock,    
   a vertical grip, and a magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds. The only benefit of this neutered ar is that you can have a detachable
   10 round magazine.
2- A fully featured rifle with all of the above, and than some, but the 10 round mag has to be fixed. This doesn't have to be done in a
   way that requires permanent modification to the rifle itself. Just in a way that isn't easy to reverse on the fly.

Cite, please.

If the law requires a magazine to be permanently fixed, then ALL guns would be illegal - SKS, Garand etc...since ALL magazines can be removed with some tools.

Let me know how you would remove the magazine on a Garand.
Mike B
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Despite the fact that the sks is getting a little rediculous in price, it is a great rifle for NY.   Possibly not the best choice for an apartment or tight neighborhood as overpenetration would be an issue for the 7.62 round.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I would agree with a shotgun. Simple cheap reliable effective with out all the legal pitfalls.
A fixed mag ar for serious defense is a no way. The idea of a ruger mini ( again getting away from anything ar related ) makes sense if you are starting at ground zero. Lots of ar mods or the ares etc make sense if you already have bunches of magazines or associated stuff not if you are buying from scratch
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:24:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

An AR is a superior home defense weapon to a shotgun for several reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would recommend some training first and foremost.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Honestly I wouldn't use an AR as a home defense gun, I use a 12ga with 00 buck/slugs and a 9mm.

Go get some training if you've never shot

That may be the case. I have 10's of thousands of rounds through shotgun and pistol, much less through rifle.

Slug vs 5.56 stopping power?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:17:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mike B
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the community, and my sympathies to any losses you suffered. Fingers crossed that the scumbag climbs in the wrong window, is greeted by what you're looking to attain,  and dies slow and bloody.

1- A featureless rifle, which means it can't have a threaded barrel, a grip that protrudes lower than the trigger guard, a collapsible stock,    
   a vertical grip, and a magazine capacity in excess of 10 rounds. The only benefit of this neutered ar is that you can have a detachable
   10 round magazine.
2- A fully featured rifle with all of the above, and than some, but the 10 round mag has to be fixed. This doesn't have to be done in a
   way that requires permanent modification to the rifle itself. Just in a way that isn't easy to reverse on the fly.

Cite, please.

Mike B

Uhh...you remove the trigger assembly, no?

So the Garand does have what COULD be called a "removable" magazine. Taking off the trigger assembly does in a sense "remove" the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So the Garand does have what COULD be called a "removable" magazine. Taking off the trigger assembly does in a sense "remove" the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 round magazine.

Cite, please.

Mike B

Sorry, no, that will not "remove the magazine".
Mike B
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#13]
OK what would you do to remove the magazine parts on a garand?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Honestly I wouldn't use an AR as a home defense gun, I use a 12ga with 00 buck/slugs and a 9mm.

Truth...IF you live in a free state that respects your Second Amendment right to own one and use it in self-defense.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK what would you do to remove the magazine parts on a garand?
View Quote

What happens if you load a full clip and then remove the trigger group? Give it a try, I think you'd find it interesting...

You can fully strip the rifle... the internal parts can be removed then. The "magazine" would be the open space between the receiver legs where the follower assembly rides up and down. Have you ever operated an M1?
Mike B
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#16]
The unSAFE act does not define what a "detachable" magazine is really...

My point is...even a gun with a fixed internal magazine can have its magazine "removed" somehow...by field stripping or dissasembly.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The unSAFE act does not define what a "detachable" magazine is really...

My point is...even a gun with a fixed internal magazine can have its magazine "removed" somehow...by field stripping or dissasembly.
View Quote

I believe you're thinking in the SKS magazine vein.  A Garands magazine is more of a collection of parts than a unified unit.  It would be like saying taking the lifter out of a tube fed .22 is removing the magazine.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Stopping power?  What do you mean?  Are you referring to kinetic energy?  Kinetic energy is not what stops threats.

Unless you're going to make a headshot, incapacitation of a target is going to be a result of blood loss causing circulatory collapse.  A fragmenting 5.56 round (like a 75 grain OTM or even M193) will cause more tissue damage and thus more bleeding than a slug.

Seriously - and I'm not trying to be condescending here - you should do some reading in some of the tech forums on this site.  There's a lot of people far more knowledgeable than me that can break down the internal ballistics.  You'll also run into many people who kill people for a living and who choose to defend their homes with ARs rather than shotguns.  RustedAce comes to mind.

Also, you should consider maneuverability in close quarters and the ease of followup shots, both of which strongly favor an AR.

http://www.recoilweb.com/ar-vs-shotgun-for-home-defense-again-39177.html

I also have tens of thousands (probably 100k+) through a shotgun, far more than through a rifle, but that's why I train with my rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be the case. I have 10's of thousands of rounds through shotgun and pistol, much less through rifle.

Slug vs 5.56 stopping power?

Stopping power?  What do you mean?  Are you referring to kinetic energy?  Kinetic energy is not what stops threats.

Unless you're going to make a headshot, incapacitation of a target is going to be a result of blood loss causing circulatory collapse.  A fragmenting 5.56 round (like a 75 grain OTM or even M193) will cause more tissue damage and thus more bleeding than a slug.

Seriously - and I'm not trying to be condescending here - you should do some reading in some of the tech forums on this site.  There's a lot of people far more knowledgeable than me that can break down the internal ballistics.  You'll also run into many people who kill people for a living and who choose to defend their homes with ARs rather than shotguns.  RustedAce comes to mind.

Also, you should consider maneuverability in close quarters and the ease of followup shots, both of which strongly favor an AR.

http://www.recoilweb.com/ar-vs-shotgun-for-home-defense-again-39177.html

I also have tens of thousands (probably 100k+) through a shotgun, far more than through a rifle, but that's why I train with my rifle.

Perhaps he is confusing "knock down power" vs "stopping power"

A slug most definitely has more knock down then a .22 cal bullet
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Perhaps he is confusing "knock down power" vs "stopping power"

A slug most definitely has more knock down then a .22 cal bullet
View Quote

We could have a long and drawn out discussion just on wound ballistics on here and it would end up like the old 9mm vs. .45 debate.

Working in the medical field, I choose to believe the research of people like Dr. Martin Fackler.  As he and Peter Kokalis used to say, "the principle method of wounding is the wound channel itself."  In other words, penetration.  After that, the round that leaves the biggest hole is more likely to hit something vital.

Knockdown power and stopping power are sort of undefined terms that get thrown around the same way "assault weapon" does, they don't really mean anything.  Think back to the old FBI "Relative Incapacitation Index" that postulated that a high speed, low weight bullet wound to the leg would be more damaging than a slow, heavy bullet striking the torso where it could hit something vital.

I've rolled up on scenes where people have taken multiple blasts of shotgun rounds at close range and been out smoking a cigarette on their front porch waiting for police and EMS to get there.  How?  Because the pellets didn't penetrate deep enough to hit any vital organs or blood vessels.  I've also seen people killed by a 22 rimfire that managed to hit a major vessel or organ and caused the patient to bleed out and lose blood pressure.

Any way, my point is that the 22 rimfire that you can make fast, accurate shots with is a better self defense tool than the high speed low drag GPS enabled Bluetooth laser guided heat seaking nuclear tipped wondergun, even if said wondergun is equipped with the latest armor penetrating unobtainium core bullets if you have to spray and pray.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Get a nice pump action 12 gauge, you can find a good used one for less than 1/4 the price of an AR.
View Quote
This response is approved by Vice President Joe Biden!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get a nice pump action 12 gauge, you can find a good used one for less than 1/4 the price of an AR.

No, he said a SxS and to fire both barrels.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#26]
A fragmenting 5.56 round (like a 75 grain OTM or even M193) will cause more tissue damage and thus more bleeding than a slug.

While I agree that you would have a bad day if hit by either. A 12g 70mm lead slug has a lot of power behind it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#27]
If I had to use a slug, I would look at having some Winchester segmenting slugs.  They penetrate barriers, but upon hitting tissue, will break into 3 jagged pieces of lead, each equivalent to a 158 grain .38, each with their own wound channel.

But I've got way more 00 buck, 5 rounds of which can put .45 hits on target in the matter of a few seconds.  I know, I know, each pellet has a lawyer attached to it.  Tru flite is your friend.  

I've got a hankering for another 870.  For a custom home defense build, aip tactical.com is a great website.  Lots of good info over there, even if you don't buy from him.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I just bought a Baikal hammerless double barrel.

IMO the shotgun is the ultimate survival gun. Can shoot a slug out to 100 or more and shoot small game as well.
They also make and over under 223 and 12.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A fragmenting 5.56 round (like a 75 grain OTM or even M193) will cause more tissue damage and thus more bleeding than a slug.

While I agree that you would have a bad day if hit by either. A 12g 70mm lead slug has a lot of power behind it.
View Quote

Yes and no.

A fragmenting round can cause more horrific looking wounds on the surface of the skin, but very often, fragmenting bullets fail to penetrate deeply enough to hit vital organs.  Remember that the M193 is a military round, and in wartime, if you actually wound the enemy, you not only take him off the battlefield, you also take his buddy off who has to carry him to an aid station.  If you kill him, his buddies just come back for him later.  Contrast that to a self defense situation where you want to incapacitate the bad guy or stop the attack as soon as possible.

Consider this scenario - bad guy has his arms in front of him holding a gun or knife, you shoot him with a fragmenting bullet and it may "remove" a hand, but not stop or incapacitate the bad guy, especially if he's on meth or bath salts or something like that.  If you make the same shot with a penetrating, non-fragmenting slug or something similar, it will go through the hand, and may do less hand damage, but is more likely to keep going and hit something vital.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'll post this here because everyone that might use a firearm for self defense should read it.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

View Quote

That is an excellent piece, you're right, anyone who carries a handgun for defensive purposes ought to read it.

I'm guessing from the date on it (1989) that it must be the study the FBI did to renounce their own RII after their disastrous Miami bank robber shootout.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:45:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't know why there is all this talk of ballistics and stuff. Everyone knows you just fire your 2 blasts from your double barrel shotgun into the air off your porch/blindly through a door.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#33]
For what it's worth I found this from a dealer in Western NY.

Colt LE6920 Magpul Edition NY Legal

As long as the magazine is fixed it's NY legal and I'd be able to keep features. It would essentially become a top-loader. I figure if any of the litigation suceeds and it's ever reversed, I could take on of these to a gunsmith and have the mag "unfixed". They have several on their site.

Thoughts on a top-loading AR that still allows features?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

As long as the magazine is fixed it's NY legal and I'd be able to keep features. It would essentially become a top-loader. I figure if any of the litigation suceeds and it's ever reversed, I could take on of these to a gunsmith and have the mag "unfixed". They have several on their site.

View Quote

Oh hell no... Not even close.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd like to see documentation on its NYS approval.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:13:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We all would. On something. Anything.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#37]
If the magazine is fixed its legal correct

I prefer the featureless setup IMO
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah.  This quote from that link is just a bit presumptuous:

This
system has been approved by New York State. It is New York State legal
because it has a fixed 10 round magazine and is a top loader. New York
does not consider this rifle an assault weapon and therefor is
transferable and does not need to be registered.

Funny, nowhere in that rifle description does it say anything about covering your legal fees, or your divorce expenses when you get jammed up.  

Bottom line:  buy at your own risk.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, I'll bite.  Why not?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

In theory yes, in practice who knows. Their statement that NY has approved is suspect.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In theory yes, in practice who knows. Their statement that NY has approved is suspect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes agreed there as NYS only gives verbal ideas...I am betting this is an epoxied bullet button, which would be compliant I believe in most peoples minds.

I would want to know what their method is before purchasiing.

Many companies are selling fixed mag rifles ie:dsi on long islands, and many lgs
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#42]
This thread still depresses me. Oops!I meant bums me not.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Upp he said depressed! They now take your permit and long guns
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bums can't have guns either. Hand em over.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Haha bah humbug
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Damnit, wrong tab.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top