Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2015 5:40:28 PM EDT
I'm interested in purchasing some live or freshly butchered chicken.  An ideal scenario would be one where I could pick out a live chicken and have it butchered (or at least killed/head cut off and bagged).  I'd rather not drive home with a car full of live chickens, that just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I know I can go a halal place in Queens but I feel like it will be a pain to drive there and find parking.  

Is there any place in Nassau or Suffolk that sells chicken like that?

If you are wondering why I'm interested in this it's because I spent $185 on organic chicken yesterday and my thought is there has got to be a cheaper way to get unchlorinated chicken.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

If you are wondering why I'm interested in this it's because I spent $185 on organic chicken yesterday and my thought is there has got to be a cheaper way to get unchlorinated chicken.
View Quote

Holy schnikeys !
I have friends that raise "free-range" chickens for less than a couple bucks each.
What exactly constitutes an "organic" chicken? They get chicks from the hatchery, keep them in a pen until they're big enough to go out into the yard/garden/field to feed all day, call them back in before sundown, let 'em out the next morning....seems pretty "organic" to me. If you let them mature they'll reproduce and have biddies of their own, doesn't get much more than that.
Hatcheries or people that don't want to loose Chicks will put a little medicine in their water, at least while they're very young.....
For $185. a live bird, I could haul a hundred down to NYC every Friday morning, make a killing, and bring fresh seafood back home!

I don't know where you live, if you've got any yard or even if you could have birds, but if you could, it isn't difficult or expensive to raise a really good meat chicken.  

If you visit in person, Northstar will often give you chicks.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=hatchery%20watertown%20ny&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=hatchery%20watertown%20ny&sc=1-21&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=b8c6f924844d436dbf427dbd769ce232
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
To clarify I spent $185 on 30lbs of organic chicken to put in the freezer.  On a side note I recently got  a basement freezer that I've been stocking up.

It's not even the organic aspect of it that I care about it's the unchlorinated aspect.  As a former chemist the fact that a very high percentage normal grocery store chicken is chlorinated rubs me the wrong way.  

I have no backyard and my front/side yard is fairly small.  It's great for mowing but terrible for everything else.  In my town I can't even park on the street in front of my home for 6 hours during the day so I can't imagine the types of fines I would get if I had chickens in the front yard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To clarify I spent $185 on 30lbs of organic chicken to put in the freezer.  On a side note I recently got  a basement freezer that I've been stocking up.

It's not even the organic aspect of it that I care about it's the unchlorinated aspect.  As a former chemist the fact that a very high percentage normal grocery store chicken is chlorinated rubs me the wrong way.  

I have no backyard and my front/side yard is fairly small.  It's great for mowing but terrible for everything else.  In my town I can't even park on the street in front of my home for 6 hours during the day so I can't imagine the types of fines I would get if I had chickens in the front yard.
View Quote

And you City folks call us "hicks from the sticks"    The ONLY way you'd get me there would be a teleportation machine that I could use to come and go as I liked....six bucks a pound; ouch! but I understand your position and I agree.

when you raise your own and KNOW where it came from, it's a whole lot different.

I understand about grocery store chicken, in fact most of the meat in the stores is highly suspect....It's a lot to put up at once, and large freezer a must, but we'll butcher a bovine and/or swine in the fall that'll carry us over most of the year. One thing: up here in the winter, the freezer is warmer than the outside temperature, so if you keep one outside, it doesn't cost squat to run.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
FYI: roosters (male chickens) are illegal to posses in New York City ...

Police state anyone?

I once asked a NYC  health dept agent what would happen if a feral rooster wandered across the county
Line for westchester.... The African immigrant just looked at me like
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Look up "Hempstead Poultry Farm" or "Westbury Live Poultry".  Hempstead is off Front Street, Westbury is on Urban Avenue off Old Country Rd.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Miloski's Poultry has fresh killed everything. We get our turkey there every year.

Will Miloski's Poultry Farm
4418 Middle Country Road, Calverton, NY 11933
(631) 727-0239

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2013/08/24/buy-local-farm-stand-spotlight-miloski-s-poultry-farm/

Organic birds in Mattituck.

http://browdersbirds.com/

These guys sell out their organic at the Riverhead Farmer's Market fast. They process just under 1000 birds a year to stay off the FDA regulatory radar.(At least that's how it was explained to us.) They also have a chicken and egg CSA. They sell a whole cert'd organic chicken for $32 IIRC.

This link details more about their farm and availability.
http://www.edibleeastend.com/2014/07/15/fresh-chickens-little-gerrys-sale-north-fork-table-browders-birds/

We have a little flock of 15 chickens and 2 ducks. Between them all we're getting 8-10 eggs a day now. We haven't butchered any yet.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]

We used to get our turkeys at Zorns in Bethpage. I don't know if they still sell uncooked food these days.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
My grandparents grew their own chickens in a cellar in Montreal.

Again, that was 40 years ago or so, I'm sure the "Progressives" have put an end to that too!

Our fresh chicken / eggs costs us about 12-15 dollars a month and my 4 year old son walks 30 yards to take care of them (breaking child labor laws I'm sure )

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Burroughs!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My grandparents grew their own chickens in a cellar in Montreal.

Again, that was 40 years ago or so, I'm sure the "Progressives" have put an end to that too!

Our fresh chicken / eggs costs us about 12-15 dollars a month and my 4 year old son walks 30 yards to take care of them (breaking child labor laws I'm sure )

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Burroughs!
View Quote

How does he do with the cleaning? I've got my boy turning 3... Grandpa said cleaning chicken coops beats the piss-ant out of a boy!

We want to start here in Ohio once we get settled
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Miloski's Poultry has fresh killed everything. We get our turkey there every year.

Will Miloski's Poultry Farm
4418 Middle Country Road, Calverton, NY 11933
(631) 727-0239

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/2013/08/24/buy-local-farm-stand-spotlight-miloski-s-poultry-farm/

Organic birds in Mattituck.

http://browdersbirds.com/

These guys sell out their organic at the Riverhead Farmer's Market fast. They process just under 1000 birds a year to stay off the FDA regulatory radar.(At least that's how it was explained to us.) They also have a chicken and egg CSA. They sell a whole cert'd organic chicken for $32 IIRC.

This link details more about their farm and availability.
http://www.edibleeastend.com/2014/07/15/fresh-chickens-little-gerrys-sale-north-fork-table-browders-birds/

We have a little flock of 15 chickens and 2 ducks. Between them all we're getting 8-10 eggs a day now. We haven't butchered any yet.

View Quote

That's pretty awesome if I had the space a flock like that would be ideal for eggs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't gone personally, but some of the guys at work go to Raleigh's Poultry Farm in Kings Park and are very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:32:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Just because its still alive when you get it dosent make it organic... What was it fed/finished on? My Friend owns an Organic market(LocaVore) & we go get chickens weekly, its a feathery free-for-all. If the birds been fed GM corn for its life, whats the difference? Was the farm pesticide free for 3 years? What about adjoining land, run off? Fresh & Organic are NOT the same thing... Don't confuse free range as organic either. Getting a cert as an Organic is not cheap or easy.

PS. Its NOT "you are what you eat..." It should be "you are what you eat, eats."
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Organic feed prices are way up for chickens.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're effing ridiculous. Regular layer pellets go for around $13-$16 a bag. The organic feed is $40-80 for a 50 lb bag. Soy free 40-60. Soy-corn free? 70+.

With all the well off allergy paranoid soccer moms, soy free loving, organic eatin' non-GMO crowd out there places like Browers can pretty much name their price($32 IIRC) for an organic chicken at the Riverhead Farmer's market. People are willing to pay through the nose and they sell out fast. We have a friend(40 chicken flock) who sells her eggs off her driveway in the Hamptons for $5 a dozen and sells out in a few hours every Saturday. Eggs at the Riverhead Farmer's market run anywhere from $4-8 a dozen. $8 being the pasture raised certified organic eggs. Add another buck for soy free.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:12:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn son. I'm ordering some Golden Comets!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have hens in the backyard for eggs, but we buy freshly butchered chickens at Fairway. They have a section in the back for freshly butchered, organic, antibiotic free chickens.
View Quote

That s interest isn't to there s a fairway about 25 min form me
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They're effing ridiculous. Regular layer pellets go for around $13-$16 a bag. The organic feed is $40-80 for a 50 lb bag. Soy free 40-60. Soy-corn free? 70+.

With all the well off allergy paranoid soccer moms, soy free loving, organic eatin' non-GMO crowd out there places like Browers can pretty much name their price($32 IIRC) for an organic chicken at the Riverhead Farmer's market. People are willing to pay through the nose and they sell out fast. We have a friend(40 chicken flock) who sells her eggs off her driveway in the Hamptons for $5 a dozen and sells out in a few hours every Saturday. Eggs at the Riverhead Farmer's market run anywhere from $4-8 a dozen. $8 being the pasture raised certified organic eggs. Add another buck for soy free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Fool and his money soon part.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is something to be said for GMO free... Just my 2 cents. A majority of Europe is GMO free for a reason. There is nothing good about GMO that will offset the health concerns
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I think there is a halal place in Roslyn, right where the LIE and Willis Ave meet.  Can't recall the name offhand, it always struck me because it is next to an animal hospital.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think there is a halal place in Roslyn, right where the LIE and Willis Ave meet.  Can't recall the name offhand, it always struck me because it is next to an animal hospital.
View Quote

Anyone from ANY remember the Chinese restaurant in Hamburg that caught dragging the deer that got hit by a car into their restaurant like 10 years ago?

Thanks the one in the McKinley mall got busted for shooting seagulls in the parking lot with a pellet gun and trying to serve them up as chicken?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#25]
There's a place right next to Bean & Bagel on Route 25 in Calverton.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There is something to be said for GMO free... Just my 2 cents. A majority of Europe is GMO free for a reason. There is nothing good about GMO that will offset the health concerns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I absolutely oppose GMO's and Animals fed with certain feed DO taste different, but sometimes people go to extremes that are un-necessary and cost in-effective, but I digress. A friend of mine that's got a dairy farm was selling certified organic milk; (even his food plots had to have not been sprayed with anything for x years) and he got stupid money for that Milk. Playing by the rules is tough, and they DO test as well as certify independent of the Farm, but the money spent....well I think a lot of it's overkill. My Mother always has chickens: having horses/barns/acreage in Florida there ARE bugs, lots of them, and the chickens decimate them! throw food preparation scraps, left overs (not off the plate, that goes compost) and once a day a handful of laying mash and the birds are fat, healthy, and "free range" The down side is they crap all over everything, so you learn to isolate/control areas, pressure washer is a must, and their roost/coop has to be cleaned out, but that never hurt anybody and in the end there are plenty of eggs and if desired Sunday dinner.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top