Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2015 11:31:47 PM EDT
I have quite a few camping trips planed this summer with the family, a few happen to be in NYS parks. Now from what I understand it is in fact illegal to carry a handgun in a NYS park, unless its during the spring or fall hunting season. So, would it be legal for me to carry my hand gun, in a state park in the camping grounds on memorial day weekend which is during spring turkey season. It is not legal to take a turkey with a rifle or handgun bullet, however, whats the law say about having a handgun with you during a turkey hunt? I know Im grasping at straws here, but to my simple mind, it seems one could possess a handgun in a NYS park during the spring turkey season, if you had a valid hunters license and a turkey tag with you.

NYS park rules see 190.7
Spring turkey season and regs

Thoughts? I understand concealed means concealed, however if I can exercise my rights and do so legally I would prefer that option...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:52:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Been 30 years since I worked as a teen in a state park, but back then you could only hunt with bows in designated areas of certain state parks, and even off duty LEOs when in the park had to surrender their sidearm at the park office
Boat owners at the state marine park I worked at couldn't even keep a gun on their boat in the park back then.
Things might have changed in the passing years, but I really doubt it.
I''ll run it by one of the park police guys next time I see one of them
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been 30 years since I worked as a teen in a state park, but back then you could only hunt with bows in designated areas of certain state parks, and even off duty LEOs when in the park had to surrender their sidearm at the park office
Boat owners at the state marine park I worked at couldn't even keep a gun on their boat in the park back then.
Things might have changed in the passing years, but I really doubt it.
I''ll run it by one of the park police guys next time I see one of them
View Quote

DId you see the link I posted? It does say you can have firearms in a sate park during spring and fall hunting... So there is a way to carry in a state park. Im just trying to figure out if you can have a handgun with you during a turkey hunt, and if you can say, your " hunting" down the road on so and sos land but also camping at the park that weekend, With the safe act in place, Im pretty sure you cant let your buddy " hold" your guns over night while you camp, so if your 2 hours from home, staying at a camp site and "might" hunt in the morning, what are you supposed to do? I know I know, its a long shot, but... Sometimes once and a great while one can find a loop hole.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

DId you see the link I posted? It does say you can have firearms in a sate park during spring and fall hunting... So there is a way to carry in a state park. Im just trying to figure out if you can have a handgun with you during a turkey hunt, and if you can say, your " hunting" down the road on so and sos land but also camping at the park that weekend, With the safe act in place, Im pretty sure you cant let your buddy " hold" your guns over night while you camp, so if your 2 hours from home, staying at a camp site and "might" hunt in the morning, what are you supposed to do? I know I know, its a long shot, but... Sometimes once and a great while one can find a loop hole.
View Quote

Yeah I understand the hunting exception, but you're going to find it to be very limited.
If you think you'll be able to be bellied up to a hibachi flipping burgers with your carry or "hunting" gun strapped on I do believe you'll be very disappointed
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Would you also have to have a hunting license too?  I mean if you're trying to use a hunting loophole I imagine they'd want you to pay for it somehow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would you also have to have a hunting license too?  I mean if you're trying to use a hunting loophole I imagine they'd want you to pay for it somehow.
View Quote

I do have a hunting license, and a spring turkey tag, already.. I was just doing a little digging and was wondering if I may have stumbled on to a legal work around. By no means am I looking for a way to open carry at a state park and scare all the soccer moms.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I generally don't carry when in a DEC campground or state park.

However I always bring my unregistered assault dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Im curious as to their reasoning not to allows CC in a state park..

Id want to have my piece with me especially if I'm there camping..  
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've only run into bear issues in one DEC campground - that wasn't my site, but the site next door to me that felt that a pickup bed was bear proof....hint hint - it's not.

I don't know the reason for the prohibition, but I guess they don't want everyone and their brother shooting there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a reason for everything, and in the case of NYS OPR & HP usually in the past someone did something that prompted a rule being created.
As GD likes to say, "this is why w e can't have nice things".....
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason? Guns are dangerous, and banning them automatically makes you safer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer to have a few pops while camping and generally don't encourage drinking and gun handling....

Although if you can't safely handle a gun after a few beers you probably can't do it well sober. But don't drink and shoot kids. Backpacking however I am never more than a zipper away from my heater, yo.

Hill People Gear Kit Bag.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I prefer to have a few pops while camping and generally don't encourage drinking and gun handling....

Although if you can't safely handle a gun after a few beers you probably can't do it well sober. But don't drink and shoot kids. Backpacking however I am never more than a zipper away from my heater, yo.

Hill People Gear Kit Bag.
View Quote

Good post. I don;t condone the mixing of firearms and booze either. However, Being alone in the woods for three days hours from home unarmed isnt something Id recommend either...
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I neglected to mention I don't drink and backpack either. Alcohol can weaken the lower body in days after consumption. Hiking with a hangover...ick.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's for the childrens
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you get caught with a gun do to really think a cop in ny is going to care about a technicality like that? "You ain't turkey hunting asshole, watch yew got that gun fer, guns is fer cops, hands in the air"  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do have a hunting license, and a spring turkey tag, already.. I was just doing a little digging and was wondering if I may have stumbled on to a legal work around. By no means am I looking for a way to open carry at a state park and scare all the soccer moms.

If you get caught with a gun do to really think a cop in ny is going to care about a technicality like that? "You ain't turkey hunting asshole, watch yew got that gun fer, guns is fer cops, hands in the air"  

Have you personally experienced a police officer talking like that?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have quite a few camping trips planed this summer with the family, a few happen to be in NYS parks. Now from what I understand it is in fact illegal to carry a handgun in a NYS park, unless its during the spring or fall hunting season. So, would it be legal for me to carry my hand gun, in a state park in the camping grounds on memorial day weekend which is during spring turkey season. It is not legal to take a turkey with a rifle or handgun bullet, however, whats the law say about having a handgun with you during a turkey hunt? I know Im grasping at straws here, but to my simple mind, it seems one could possess a handgun in a NYS park during the spring turkey season, if you had a valid hunters license and a turkey tag with you.

NYS park rules see 190.7
Spring turkey season and regs

Thoughts? I understand concealed means concealed, however if I can exercise my rights and do so legally I would prefer that option...
View Quote

What you posted is relevant to DEC administered campgrounds within the Adks & Catskills only, not NYS Parks.  the hunting excuse is not going to fly since within the developed campground is a Restricted Area, no hunting allowed.  Most of these campgrounds are attached, or within much larger parcels of Forest Preserve which are less restrictive though.  Bottom line; within the developed campground one must abide by the rules and by signing the camping permit you are acknowledging these rules.

That said, concealed is concealed
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Camp at MRP and shit in a hole. You can carry there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Camp at MRP and shit in a hole. You can carry there.
View Quote

I hit up moose river every fall.. I love how the campsites are so spread out, and primitive.. Not something I take the family too ( kids under 5), but for "man week" thats our spot.  Last year I managed to shoot a grouse right in camp, nothing beats a grouse cooked over a camp fire..
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Oh baloney    [some asshole at an admin agency]"don't forget to ban guns!"
The douchebags banned fire and you still think these are rational people?
View Quote

banned fire as in only allowed fires in approved fire pits?
Or banned fires during a dry season?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]
I stop camping in NYS. The facilities are run down and horrible.

I now camp in Pa. The up keep is 100% better in Pa and there is no comparison.  

Plus i got tied of being raped on "reserve amercia" with there bs fees. I wonder what senate or house members are getting a kick back on using that system.

I do what every i can not to support NYS any longer.

FUAC
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Plus i got tied of being raped on "reserve amercia" with there bs fees. I wonder what senate or house members are getting a kick back on using that system.

FUAC
View Quote

I've only been to a few NYS campgrounds but Cranberry Lake is very nice and the few facilities are in great condition.
Can't you just take a shotty or is that a no-go as well?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:54:01 PM EDT
[#26]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh baloney    [some asshole at an admin agency]"don't forget to ban guns!"
The douchebags banned fire and you still think these are rational people?

banned fire as in only allowed fires in approved fire pits?
Or banned fires during a dry season?
http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4261.html

That just defines when open burning is legal, it doesn't ban any open fires at all.

Quoted:

The states been strangling the budget for OPR & HP for over 35 years.
When I was working for them in the late 70s there was 3-4 x the manpower they have now
I've run into some of the guys I used to work with; the ones that are still around are now in management positions and its sad to hear how the state has used them as cash cows while slashing their budgets
It is one area where a modern CCC program could do a lot of good
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:56:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've only been to a few NYS campgrounds but Cranberry Lake is very nice and the few facilities are in great condition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC

Not sure.. I would think no firearms mean no firearms period, not to mention a shotty is a lot harder to hide/conceal...
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
DEC Campgrounds are gun free zones.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
DEC Campgrounds are gun free easy target zones.
View Quote

Fixed it for you..
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#30]
My BIL was talking to a trooper when he got pulled over for... something... I forget what.  But, he asked the trooper about carrying in state parks in the Adirondacks.  Trooper says something like, "Yea, it's technically not legal, but I do anyway."  I never understood why being able to protect yourself in the "wild" is illegal.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:46:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My BIL was talking to a trooper when he got pulled over for... something... I forget what.  But, he asked the trooper about carrying in state parks in the Adirondacks.  Trooper says something like, "Yea, it's technically not legal, but I do anyway."  I never understood why being able to protect yourself in the "wild" is illegal.  
View Quote

Dont ya love it when those in charge of enforcing a law dont even follow it...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Even when backpacking I don't feel the need for a gun for bears.

I clean up after myself and use a bear keg. Bears don't worry me. Accidentally walking up on a meth lab or weed grow does.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#33]
+ 1000%!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
+ 1000%!
View Quote

Was that for me?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trendsetters!  Embrace the Liberty you were born with!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Moving to the country....gonna eat a lot of peaches.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Make sure you check the parks hunting policy too.  I have hunted Letchworth, and you need to have a park permit to hunt as well as a state license.  Bow you were pretty much a lock to get the permit and I 5hink it is free.  Shotgun for deer was a lottery system.  Turkey wasn't allowed last time I did bow over there(but is now.)  Many parks do not allow hunting regardless.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Not sure.. I would think no firearms mean no firearms period, not to mention a shotty is a lot harder to hide/conceal...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC

Everytime i read someone on a forum call a shotgun a "shotty" it makes me want to kill puppies and kittens. Please stop, it makes God cry, too.
Mike B
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#39]
"Shotty" is what you do to a PBR Tallboy with a pocket knife. Or a dorm room key.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Everytime i read someone on a forum call a shotgun a "shotty" it makes me want to kill puppies and kittens. Please stop, it makes God cry, too.
Mike B
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC

Mike B

lol.. I was merely reusing the word from the previous posters post...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
"Shotty" is what you do to a PBR Tallboy with a pocket knife. Or a dorm room key.
View Quote

did this just get creepy?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mike B
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC

Mike B

No problem kill as many as you can - a .410 SHOTTY would be ideal for the task!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:58:19 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He also got the idea that the cop wouldn't enforce it, either.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
That's a fairly popular stripper name.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Except as allowed by section 215.3 of this Part, no person shall burn, cause, suffer, allow or permit the burning of any materials in an open fire.
View Quote

Right
"Except as allowed"
215.3 is fairly broad for what most people would be burning
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Right
"Except as allowed"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except as allowed by section 215.3 of this Part, no person shall burn, cause, suffer, allow or permit the burning of any materials in an open fire.

Right
"Except as allowed"

I think its absurd that there needs to be a law regulating fire.. If your to stupid to understand what fire can do, I will personal give you 5 gallons of gas and some matches and you can go play with it, either your learn, or darwin wins... Either way society as a whole will benefit..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. SUNY dorm keys are huge and burly....and perfect for puncturing cans.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:26:55 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Police Officer no,  Constable (bay) yes, although it was a slightly different subject it was literally just as retarded.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew a Bloods gang member who was called Peaches.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top