Posted: 2/26/2015 3:46:56 PM EDT
In a memo obtained by Capital New York,
Cuomo officials announced that mass purging of email records is
beginning across several state government agencies. The timing of the
announcement, which followed through on a 2013 proposal,
is worth noting: The large-scale destruction of state documents will be
happening in the middle of a sprawling federal investigation of public
corruption in Albany. That investigation has been looking at state
legislators and the Cuomo Administration.
http://www.ibtimes.com/amid-federal-corruption-probe-andrew-cuomo-administration-purges-state-government-1828824
Hello, Preet, where are you?

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
<---------my shocked face
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
FUAC.  Maybe you can hide your dirt from Bahaara, but God sees everything you do, you filthly little prick.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Color me amazed
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey it worked for the IRS, apparently this is the new Democrap play book.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if there is ANYTHING Cuomo can do to piss off Bharara more.

Dissolve Moorland.

Interfere with Moorland investigation.

Claim that Bharara is on a witch hunt.

Claim ignorance of Silver's corruption.

Dummy up about the book deal.

Destroy evidence.

Cuomo just keeps giving Bharara the big "up yours!"   He better hope he hides every shred of evidence.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Cuomo said this has been SOP for emails for quite some time. I work for the state. I have emails that are 8 years old. They have never purged emails in my agnecy. Now I have to move the old emails that I want to save to a special folder to save them. That will add more time when I'm searching for information
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#7]
but but but the state has been harping on the mandatory email backup requirements despite tossing out working systems and switching over to another F'd up email system that sucks butt cheeks.

I guess it's more do as I say not as I do.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I also have to think Bharara either can stop this purge or already has the emails anyway.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but but but the state has been harping on the mandatory email backup requirements despite tossing out working systems and switching over to another F'd up email system that sucks butt cheeks.

View Quote

You  must be a state worker also
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

shhh you trying to get me lynched?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I also have to think Bharara either can stop this purge or already has the emails anyway.
View Quote

I fucking hope so.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Company I work for used to not have an email retention policy.  Now it's 1 year, that started a couple years ago.  We have 3 and 7 year storage areas that we can store them in, but, hell, in IT, if it's more than a year old, I don't need it.  Kinda like saving utilities for Windows 95.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

FUAC.  Maybe you can hide your dirt from Bahaara, but God sees everything you do, you filthly little prick.

View Quote
Maybe he can throw in Obstruction of Justice charges too.  I love how FUAC keeps knitting himself a longer and longer rope to hang himself.  Why he doesn't just lawyer up and keep his mouth shut is beyond me except for the fact that he loves being in control.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amen brother, amen.
Too bad only the good die young, else we wouldn't have a LOT of these assholes, and not just the ones in Govt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wonder if there is ANYTHING Cuomo can do to piss off Bharara more.

Dissolve Moorland.

Interfere with Moorland investigation.

Claim that Bharara is on a witch hunt.

Claim ignorance of Silver's corruption.

Dummy up about the book deal.

Destroy evidence.

Cuomo just keeps giving Bharara the big "up yours!"   He better hope he hides every shred of evidence.
View Quote

Remember the first paragraph in the Democratic Playbook is "Admit nothing, Deny everything, make counter accusations."  Worked for slick-willy didn't it.

Good luck completely eliminating all those e-mails....perhaps a copy can be subpoenaed from the NSA (after all, they're recording EVERYTHING)  
"The wicked flee when none pursue."  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I business there are heavy fines and penalties for not backing up and saving correspondence be it e-mails, memo's, letters, etc. BUT those are to make it easier for investigators to see what's been going on....now just why do you think Cuomo's henchmen are deleting these?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:30:37 PM EDT
[#18]
What's transparent here is the corruption permeating this Administration.  In light of what's going on all around him, Cuomo's blatantly incriminating act of shredding everything is difficult to rationalize.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Company I work for used to not have an email retention policy.  Now it's 1 year, that started a couple years ago.  We have 3 and 7 year storage areas that we can store them in, but, hell, in IT, if it's more than a year old, I don't need it.  Kinda like saving utilities for Windows 95.  
View Quote

Legacy systems bro!

Can't stress the common occurrence of a Windows NT / 2000 system on a machine in a factory.
I usually just kind of state and think " how old was I when they set these up??"
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
FUAC is becoming more like Nixon by the day. I hope with the same results.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

Can't stress the common occurrence of a Windows NT / 2000 system on a machine in a factory.
I usually just kind of state and think " how old was I when they set these up??"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

It happens.  Company that wrote mission-critical software goes out of business or gets bought out 3 times and an upgrade is not possible or costs $50k.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's transparent here is the corruption permeating this Administration.  In light of what's going on all around him, Cuomo's blatantly incriminating act of shredding everything is difficult to rationalize.
View Quote

Easy for you to say.   Poor Cuomo, how do you think he felt trying to weigh this?   Risk evidence being revealed, or risk OJ charge?   Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

What Cuomo's decision does tell us is that HE believes the evidence (really, lack thereof) is more dangerous than OJ.  So what does that tell you about the evidence in emails?   Uh huh.  Pretty deep stuff.    This is going down just like the IRS scandal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#23]
If LE is looking into him I'm sure subpoenas have already been issued. They won't be destroying any damning evidence and if they do the charges will only be worse.

Short of nuking the hard drives any federal agency will be able to recover the emails.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure there will be a few more "accidents" at warehouses holding paper documents too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In a memo obtained by Capital New York, Cuomo officials announced that mass purging of email records is beginning across several state government agencies. The timing of the announcement, which followed through on a 2013 proposal, is worth noting: The large-scale destruction of state documents will be happening in the middle of a sprawling federal investigation of public corruption in Albany. That investigation has been looking at state legislators and the Cuomo Administration.

http://www.ibtimes.com/amid-federal-corruption-probe-andrew-cuomo-administration-purges-state-government-1828824

Hello, Preet, where are you?

View Quote

sounds like they're borrowing the irs playbook
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It happens.  Company that wrote mission-critical software goes out of business or gets bought out 3 times and an upgrade is not possible or costs $50k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

Or since its not broke.... You just avoid touching it... Like my factory. We have a Joseph saw running automated processes. It's running NT. Has been since 98 apparently!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Legacy systems bro!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

You will still run into Windows 98 systems at some shops.  My neighbor was trying to resurrect one for a friend of his.  A very painful process trying to find ancient used hardware that was compatible.  You will probably still find Windows XP system out there well into the 2030's.  Heck, there are even shops still running COBOL 74 through several layers of emulation on IBM mainframes.  Nobody knows how the program works only that you put data in and get correct reports out.  Too expensive to have someone reverse engineer and rewrite in a modern language (which will probably be obsolete as well within a few years of the program being written).

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You will still run into Windows 98 systems at some shops.  My neighbor was trying to resurrect one for a friend of his.  A very painful process trying to find ancient used hardware that was compatible.  You will probably still find Windows XP system out there well into the 2030's.  Heck, there are even shops still running COBOL 74 through several layers of emulation on IBM mainframes.  Nobody knows how the program works only that you put data in and get correct reports out.  Too expensive to have someone reverse engineer and rewrite in a modern language (which will probably be obsolete as well within a few years of the program being written).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

Not quite as obsolete as 98, but this is the second factory I've been in that is running an AS400 for some processes.
The thing is freaking huge!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#29]
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2015/02/8563051/cuomo-it-chief-grilled-over-email-purges

ALBANY—Maggie Miller, the state's chief information officer, faced a barrage of questions from lawmakers at a budget hearing Thursday afternoon about the Cuomo administration policy of automatically deleting emails of state workers that are more than 90 days old.

“The concerns that have been raised publicly are the accountability and the transparency of New York State government," said State Senator Patrick Gallivan, a Republican from Western New York. "Could you please comment on that?”

“Ninety-day retention policy was actually implemented in 2013 and as you moved to consolidate those outdated and expensive and incompatible systems to a single cloud-based system, the existing policy is being applied to that new system,” said Miller, who was appointed to the position in December.

Gallivan asked Miller whether she agreed or disagreed that the deletion policy raises questions about transparency and accountability.

“In my experience, the policy is consistent with accepted practice, and I do support the policy,” Miller said. “It's also a matter of, actually, encouraging good behavior, prudent and responsible use of state resources.”

Asked again if she had any concerns that the email deletion policy would decrease transparency, Miller said, “I fully support the policy.”

“I think if the New York Assembly announced tomorrow they were going to pick up this policy, [U.S. Attorney] Preet Bharara would be at the court door making sure it did not,” Assemblyman Danny O'Donnell said, to nervous laugher from lawmakers and members of the crowd.

O'Donnell, a Democrat from the Upper West Side, questioned how the deleted emails might affect Freedom of Information Laws and future litigation. The state's policy requires employees to manually retain emails that are the subjects of FOIL requests or are necessary for litigation.

“Sometimes things don't become relevant-slash-important until after that 90-day period," O'Donnell said. “Isn't there some legitimate concern that the time period you're suggesting eliminates the ability of review and scrutiny of decision making?”

“Um, well the policy does allow for exceptions for litigation and FOIL ... and those can be retained for longer process,” Miller said. “So anything subject to legal hold or FOIL is retained.”

“Right, except that litigation doesn't start in 90 days, ever,” O'Donnell said. “A whole five months later ... the information that is needed to provide information is gone.“

After a few seconds of silence, O'Donnell said, “You don't seem to be concerned about that."

“I, uh, all I can say is I fully support the policy and I believe that under the previous email system where, actually, the amount of email retained was measured by the size of your mailbox, you would have been subjected to the same issue, I believe so,” Miller said.

“I'm not sure that's really a sufficient answer,” O'Donnell said. “We spend a lot of money and hire people like you. ... I think that you folks need to take a little closer look as to whether or not there are real risks involved.”

New York's contract with Microsoft, which developed Office 365, allows each employee to have 50 gigabits of email storage. According to the advocacy group Reinvent Albany, the storage is enough to handle 30 years' worth of messages.

State Senator John Flanagan, a Republican from Long Island, asked Miller if the email system could in fact retain information for 30 years.

“Um, I wouldn't guess, I'm afraid,” Miller said.

Flanagan also asked if she thought the the federal standard, which retains messages for seven years, is appropriate.

“I can't comment on anybody else's policy,” she responded.

“So you're not sure about the 30 years, you don't want to opine about the seven years and you don't know who came up with the 90 days?” Flanagan asked.

“That's right,” Miller said.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/albany/2015/02/8563051/cuomo-it-chief-grilled-over-email-purges
ALBANY—Maggie Miller, the state's chief information officer...

"I do support the policy,” Miller said.
Miller said, "I fully support the policy.”
"I, uh, all I can say is I fully support the policy,” Miller said.
"Um, I wouldn't guess, I'm afraid,” Miller said.
"I can't comment on anybody else's policy,” she responded.
"So you're not sure about the 30 years, you don't want to opine about the seven years and you don't know who came up with the 90 days?” Flanagan asked.
"That's right,” Miller said.

View Quote

Holy incompetence, Batman!
The only qualification for these "spokespersons" and "information officers" must be that you can lie adequately and then do the two-step to try to cover those lies.
Even with the fancy dancing, they still come off as dumbfucks.  Just like the White House mouthpiece.  

[Edited to snip the quote to the important text.]

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#31]
 “So you're not sure about the 30 years, you don't want to opine about the seven years and you don't know who came up with the 90 days?” Flanagan asked.

“That's right,” Miller said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Legacy systems bro!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

We had a 2K machine running a couple cameras at the scalehouse.  They gave up on that, though.  

I still use a DOS laptop at home.  I use Telix with my Packet controller, and MS Works, for the database for keeping track of net logins and messages for our sunday night ham radio nets.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legacy systems bro!

You never asked me to look in my basement.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't make this up.

A high ranking government official who ran on transparency and anti-corruption is facing indictment so decides to get rid of the evidence and lets everyone know ahead of time.

And the dingbat spokeswoman who is supposed to defend the decision can't even come close and is totally unbelievable.

OMG only in NYS.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can't make this up.

A high ranking government official who ran on transparency and anti-corruption is facing indictment so decides to get rid of the evidence and lets everyone know ahead of time.

And the dingbat spokeswoman who is supposed to defend the decision can't even come close and is totally unbelievable.

OMG only in NYS.
View Quote

Good thing 95% of the fucksticks in this state are far more interested in which ass cheek Derek Jeter scratched first as he rolled out of bed today.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Good thing 95% of the fucksticks in this state are far more interested in which ass cheek Derek Jeter scratched first as he rolled out of bed today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't make this up.

OMG only in NYS.

And that's why when most NYS residents finally realize what's been going on and how yes it affects them it will be too late and they deserve what's coming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top