Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2015 6:47:09 PM EDT
We have about eight battery operated analog style (sweeping second hand) clocks all over the house - kitchen, den, both bathrooms upstairs, in the bedrooms (4). This does not include the clocks on media, food processing devices and other assorted electronic devices.

Specifically, the clocks we hang on the interior walls, batteries were all replaced sometime around Sept  last year (same time we do the AC filters). Every clock on an outside positioned wall has stopped keeping time correctly. All of the clocks on inner walls are still chugging away. I popped a couple of thermometers on some of these walls - holy icicles batman! The walls where there are no heat vents are 10-18+ degrees colder than other walls.

This is the 1st year I've seen three clocks go nipples up at the same time, batteries usually last for 14 months but are changed after 1 year.

Anyone else have absolutely nothing to do and observed this?

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Bitter cold, and especially when windy, mechanical things start failing: zero or below really seems to be the threshold. This time of year we're mostly repairing plow trucks.....wait until you blow out a 1" hydraulic line at -20  
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, the problem with your clocks isn't the weather.  I'm going to tell you something shocking

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Clocks speed regulated on voltage?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Try lithium batteries, they're better when the temp drops.  I put a set in our outdoor temp sensor to survive the cold.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Lithium treats bipolar clocks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Clocks like all mechanical things have a design temprature range. Super cold shrinks tolerances and thickens oil/lubes making it harder on the motor to move everything. Add in the reduced battery output due to cold temps and you have one failed time keeping instrument.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Lithium treats bipolar clocks.
View Quote
So it turns them into 24-hour clocks?  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bitter cold, and especially when windy, mechanical things start failing: zero or below really seems to be the threshold. This time of year we're mostly repairing plow trucks.....wait until you blow out a 1" hydraulic line at -20  
View Quote

Can you limp them back to a warmer maintenance facility to effect complete repairs or does everything have to get done on the spot?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Clocks like all mechanical things have a design temperature range. Super cold shrinks tolerances and thickens oil/lubes making it harder on the motor to move everything. Add in the reduced battery output due to cold temps and you have one failed time keeping instrument.
View Quote
Got it. 1st time this has happened in ...ever in this house. House is never less than 40*F, minimum set away temp is 62*F, when we are here 68*F.

I for one, will be happy when the aliens and global warming go away!

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Try lithium batteries, they're better when the temp drops.  I put a set in our outdoor temp sensor to survive the cold.
View Quote

Are those legal in NY?

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are those legal in NY?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those legal in NY?

10 Ma OH or less
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lithium treats bi polar clocks.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Cold is real tough on Alkaline batteries., Lithium is better in that regard, but has a very fast drop-off when they start to discharge.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Cold is real tough on Alkaline batteries., Lithium is better in that regard, but has a very fast drop-off when they start to discharge.
View Quote
They have neat little voltage regulator circuits in them, too.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have about eight battery operated analog style (sweeping second hand) clocks all over the house - kitchen, den, both bathrooms upstairs, in the bedrooms (4). This does not include the clocks on media, food processing devices and other assorted electronic devices.

Specifically, the clocks we hang on the interior walls, batteries were all replaced sometime around Sept  last year (same time we do the AC filters). Every clock on an outside positioned wall has stopped keeping time correctly. All of the clocks on inner walls are still chugging away. I popped a couple of thermometers on some of these walls - holy icicles batman! The walls where there are no heat vents are 10-18+ degrees colder than other walls.

This is the 1st year I've seen three clocks go nipples up at the same time, batteries usually last for 14 months but are changed after 1 year.

View Quote

Cold temps are good for batteries in storage, but not while in use.

To avoid costly, pre-mature component failure, a/c filters should be switched out on a monthly basis. If you have pets or smoke indoors, even that could be pushing it. A box of cheapos can be purchased at a supply house and will save your wallet in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

To avoid costly, pre-mature component failure, a/c filters should be switched out on a monthly basis. If you have pets or smoke indoors, even that could be pushing it. A box of cheapos can be purchased at a supply house and will save your wallet in the long run.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The manufacturer of the HVAC system recommends changing every 1/4 with regular use. I change them (approx) New Yrs Day, Easter and Labor day. The system gets the least amount of use between March and October because we hardly use AC. When it gets hot we spend more time in the basement family rooms (1100sq ft, 8ft high finished space, never above 65*F in the warm months).

This has been the only year we've had an issue with the clocks, having been here for over a decade, clocks subject to the same maintenance (one or two have been replaced over the years due to nerf ball activity, not saying I did anything). Weird to us.

No pets, although with the recent death of the (singular) fish we may be getting a chocolate or black lab retriever. Only smoking is on the grill out back when we can tolerate the temps.

Any ideas on wholesale price for tin foil?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]
H
Quoted:

The manufacturer of the HVAC system recommends changing every 1/4 with regular use. I change them (approx) New Yrs Day, Easter and Labor day. The system gets the least amount of use between March and October because we hardly use AC. When it gets hot we spend more time in the basement family rooms (1100sq ft, 8ft high finished space, never above 65*F in the warm months).

This has been the only year we've had an issue with the clocks, having been here for over a decade, clocks subject to the same maintenance (one or two have been replaced over the years due to nerf ball activity, not saying I did anything). Weird to us.

No pets, although with the recent death of the (singular) fish we may be getting a chocolate or black lab retriever. Only smoking is on the grill out back when we can tolerate the temps.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was assuming you had a forced hot air heating system. Hydronic baseboard heat is much better, so with reduced use, never mind the filter mention.

They're saying that this has been the coldest February since 1979, and New York wasn't designed to handle these lower temps.

By the way, THANKS A BUNCH, now I have bbq on the mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top