Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/24/2015 3:08:04 PM EDT
After about 15 months I just got a call from the sheriff's office about my pistol permit application. They wanted to verify my references and decipher part of my handwriting. This is Monroe County. Anybody wanna start a pool for how much longer until it's over?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
After about 15 months I just got a call from the sheriff's office about my pistol permit application. They wanted to verify my references and decipher part of my handwriting. This is Monroe County. Anybody wanna start a pool for how much longer until it's over?
View Quote

Christ, 15 months, and they are just getting to references, thats horseshit. I would guess by that standard you have at least another 6-8 months.....
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got a call as a reference for his permit.  The investigator got the application about 11 months after he sent it in.  ETA: Ontario Co.

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Steuben is running right at 10 -12 weeks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was against the law for them to not have it outstanding after 6 months, without a letter explaining why it was denied or why it was not approved.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought it was against the law for them to not have it outstanding after 6 months, without a letter explaining why it was denied or why it was not approved.
View Quote

Who is going to raise hell about their permit taking too long when you live in a "may issue" state?

Simple ownership of a handgun is a highly regulated and restricted privilege in NY, not an inalienable right.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
15 months? Wow. You have a lot more patience than I do. I was almost exactly 6 months for mine last year. Clinton County. I would be calling the county clerk twice a week if that was me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anybody wanna start a pool for how much longer until it's over?
View Quote

I hope you get approved soon!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#8]
On the prerecorded message when you call the office they tell you dont bother calling until it's been 9 months. I called at 10 and they said it was waiting at the sheriffs office. I called two weeks ago and hadn't heard anything until today.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
They're in violation of the law correct?

Contact NRA-ILA.

And SAF. SAF gets shit done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

A friend of mine got hers in under 8 weeks. I was a reference for her. I about shit when they called me 2 weeks after she applied.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They're in violation of the law correct?

Contact NRA-ILA.

And SAF. SAF gets shit done.
View Quote

Nys is in violation of the law. The handgun permit process should have been faught in court more than 100 years ago. Sullivan act opened the door for the bullshit we have now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
They'll stack up until we have the manpower to finish going over the application.
It really does come down to a manpower issue as far as our county.
Our civil division is operating on half the personnel it had a decade or so ago
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I lived in Monroe for years...picked up an app..started talking to people about the process...basically heard from others that's it 18 months and I gave up. several years later I lived in Ontario, applied...had great interactions with the clerk and sheriff office. They had it done and on a judges desk in 5 weeks, signed off unrestricted in 7. Love Ontario county. Be nice to the clerks office and they are great to work with.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:39:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They'll stack up until we have the manpower to finish going over the application.
View Quote

Justifying oppression?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Justifying oppression?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justifying oppression?

Explaining why the process may take long in other counties as well as mine.
It takes people to process the application.
Lack of people slows the process down
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm 13 months in erie county right now. Did my interview and reference checks in October. They keep saying its on the supervisors desk for final approval before it sees a judge. Hunting and Targret by the way.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justifying oppression?

No I know what side you are on. But do you think pols may intentionally under fund departments to get these results?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A friend of mine got hers in under 8 weeks. I was a reference for her. I about shit when they called me 2 weeks after she applied.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, friend of mine got hers about that quick in Wayne county...

Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:22:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No I know what side you are on. But do you think pols may intentionally under fund departments to get these results?
View Quote

No, that's too much of a conspiracy theory
Permits are simply one task of many conducted by agencies that are being asked to do more with less almost every year.
It's not like politicians are intentionally trying to focus on delaying permits.
The politicians, if they think about permits at all, probably see it as nothing more than a line on a budget breakdown.
X number of permits processed. Y amount of monies taken in for permits, amendments etc
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justifying oppression?

Go to an online system where you can add or remove guns via an online program. No need to have someone staffing a desk handling that.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Go to an online system where you can add or remove guns via an online program. No need to have someone staffing a desk handling that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justifying oppression?

No need to have them registered.  PA and UT don't give a fuck.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:21:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I doubt there's a way to do that effectively on-line.
After all, the buyer has to present an original receipt that gets copied and entered into the buyer permit folder, the buyer gets issued the coupon at the window...it takes people to do all of those steps

Quoted:
No need to have them registered.  PA and UT don't give a fuck.

I doubt that NYS cares how those states or any other state handles its handgun permit system unless it impacts the NYS system somehow
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
They want to nickel and dime you for adding and removing firearms.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Justifying oppression?

They want to nickel and dime you for adding and removing firearms.  

And to make it as inconvenient and difficult for you as possible so as to discourage you from buying and selling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:04:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

After all, the buyer has to present an original receipt that gets copied and entered into the buyer permit folder, the buyer gets issued the coupon at the window...it takes people to do all of those steps

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Start thinking outside of the box. There is no need for a "coupon" system. That's only there to add another layer of aggravation to discourage people from buying guns. If you have a permit, you can buy a gun. You then have 10 days to add online or in person to your permit. It's all going to an online system anyways.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:32:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Start thinking outside of the box. There is no need for a "coupon" system. That's only there to add another layer of aggravation to discourage people from buying guns. If you have a permit, you can buy a gun. You then have 10 days to add online or in person to your permit. It's all going to an online system anyways.
View Quote

We don't dictate the coupon system
That's an Albany thing and we have to operate within their dictated framework
They aren't going to allow transfers without the coupon up front, even if the law says they have ten days to register the gun and get the coupon
Is there ANY county in NYS that actually lets you take possession of your purchased handgun without it being on your permit yet?
I don't think there is.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:37:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They aren't going to allow transfers without the coupon up front, even if the law says they have ten days to register the gun and get the coupon
Is there ANY county in NYS that actually lets you take possession of your purchased handgun without it being on your permit yet?
I don't think there is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there is.

I have heard that there are counties that will give you multiple coupons before you even have a gun, I don't live in one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 1:42:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I have heard that there are counties that will give you multiple coupons before you even have a gun, I don't live in one.
View Quote

We JUST got back the instant coupon this last year
For several years our county judge has been making the buyer wait up to 2 weeks for their coupon because the judge claimed they were finding disqualified people still in possession of permits applying for coupons.
I don't believe it, but that was his rationale.
So as I said, this year we finally got him to move back to the old system of getting a coupon upon producing a bill of sale
The judge here would NEVER go for the whole "up to ten days to apply for a coupon after purchase" thing
It would only take one guy not going for his coupon to ruin it for everyone else.
The folks in our records division are not gun people. They are convinced that they're doing the best job they can to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them.
I've argued that the permit system should be simplified in some ways and I get that answer back.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:29:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For several years our county judge has been making the buyer wait up to 2 weeks for their coupon because the judge claimed they were finding disqualified people still in possession of permits applying for coupons.
So as I said, this year we finally got him to move back to the old system of getting a coupon upon producing a bill of sale
The judge here would NEVER go for the whole "up to ten days to apply for a coupon after purchase" thing
It would only take one guy not going for his coupon to ruin it for everyone else.
The folks in our records division are not gun people. They are convinced that they're doing the best job they can to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them.
I've argued that the permit system should be simplified in some ways and I get that answer back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does not surprise me in the least. Heck, you average NYer with a permit ( not gun forum types) probably think the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't think there is.
View Quote

I never understood how it could "legally work" but in "the old days" (early 1980's), that's how it was in Tompkins. You had 10 days to get to the office to have it added to your permit. I still have an unused Friedlander coupon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#32]
How about the fact that my brother and I can't transfer a gun between us unless I go do a nics check($10) and then put it on my permit($5). So if he wants to give me a gun, I have to run around town, gets a nics check done, go back to my county clerk, which is on the other side of town, and then I can pay again to add it to my card. However, a father and STEP-SON, not blood relative, can swap guns at will. No nics check. Please someone explain to me how that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How about the fact that my brother and I can't transfer a gun between us unless I go do a nics check($10) and then put it on my permit($5). So if he wants to give me a gun, I have to run around town, gets a nics check done, go back to my county clerk, which is on the other side of town, and then I can pay again to add it to my card. However, a father and STEP-SON, not blood relative, can swap guns at will. No nics check. Please someone explain to me how that makes sense.
View Quote

If you're looking for the law to make sense, you shouldn't be looking at NYS laws.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Therein lies your issue, you are expecting laws written by corrupt, unintelligent NYC legislators to make sense.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't think there is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there is.

The point should be, it doesn't matter what the law says, its an unjust law, and its not right. The law once held slavery to be legal...doesn't make it right. Its all bullshit cooked up by corrupt scumbag politicians to make owning a handgun as onerous and difficult as possible in NYS.

I rarely buy handguns, especially at a gunshow for just that reason. Lets see, I have to buy it, get the receipt from the seller. Wait until Monday morning at the earliest, or until my schedule and their schedule permits, drive into downtown Buffalo, fight traffic, find and pay for parking, pay for the priviledge of having the generally unfriendly assholes (although the last few times I went they seemed better) in the PP Office scowl at me, and then take 45 minutes to type (now print out a card) two lines, receive my papal dispensation to add a handgun to my permit, and then schedule a time to meet the seller or go back to the store, and pick up my purchase.

Fuck that, its ridiculous....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The point should be, it doesn't matter what the law says, its an unjust law, and its not right. The law once held slavery to be legal...doesn't make it right. Its all bullshit cooked up by corrupt scumbag politicians to make owning a handgun as onerous and difficult as possible in NYS.

I rarely buy handguns, especially at a gunshow for just that reason. Lets see, I have to buy it, get the receipt from the seller. Wait until Monday morning at the earliest, or until my schedule and their schedule permits, drive into downtown Buffalo, fight traffic, find and pay for parking, pay for the priviledge of having the generally unfriendly assholes (although the last few times I went they seemed better) in the PP Office scowl at me, and then take 45 minutes to type (now print out a card) two lines, receive my papal dispensation to add a handgun to my permit, and then schedule a time to meet the seller or go back to the store, and pick up my purchase.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there is.

That was one nice thing that used to be at the Rochester gun show, MC set up off to the side to handle pistol transfers. Now that it's moved to Hemlock, I doubt they'll still do it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That was one nice thing that used to be at the Rochester gun show, MC set up off to the side to handle pistol transfers. Now that it's moved to Hemlock, I doubt they'll still do it.
View Quote

Yeah, the promoter got Erie county to do the same thing at the Hamburg shows, which is nice...

The Rochester show....my buddy and I always set up there, he has been doing it for 20 years....with the move to Hemlock, a lot of vendors he has talked with are just not going to do it...I think it is on its way out, or will become a real junk show....too bad, as I always found good stuff there. Not as good as Syracuse, but better than anything in WNY....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyone has opinions on laws they agree with or don't agree with, or things they'd rather see done differently
The options are to work to change the law, follow the law or not follow the law and expect to suffer the consequences.
I don't expect to see NYs permit and coupon system change any time soon.
Downstate isn't going to endorse any changes and Upstate doesn't have the pull to do it on their own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

when I got my permit ages ago it came  with a coupon  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think there is.

when I got my permit ages ago it came  with a coupon  
Coupons non-existent in Wayne & Ontario counties.  Which is why I have to pay higher prices for handguns, because the cost of fuel to drive out to Auburn in back just negated any savings.  Only other way I'd do it, is online, and ship to an FFL close to me.  Which stops the state from getting the tax money on that gun.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
No coupons where I'm at either. Which is BS. The state felt I was fit to obtain a pistol permit then why isn't it on me to make sure that said pistols are on my permit? I have a buddy that lives in buffalo. If I'm out visiting him and find a gun, I have to come all the way back to Clinton county to put it on my permit. You know, because the permit system isn't state wide or anything. I just called my county clerk to ask them if I get a nics check done to obtain my brothers gun, can I use it for another gun as well or can I use that one nics check for a certain amount of time. They had no idea and referred me to the local state police gun branch. So basically the people enforcing the rules have no idea what they are. Classic.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
...... I just called my county clerk to ask them if I get a nics check done to obtain my brothers gun, can I use it for another gun as well or can I use that one nics check for a certain amount of time. They had no idea and referred me to the local state police gun branch. So basically the people enforcing the rules have no idea what they are. Classic.
View Quote

Why would you expect the pistol permit folks to have that information on a Federal instant check program.
The NICS check is for a particular transaction.
You can't "re-use" it for a completely different transaction at another time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, ridiculous is having to wait 4-8 weeks to add a pistol to your permit.  In north liberalville you have to buy a gun, get the s/n, submit the paperwork, wait a month or 2 then go back and pickup your gun.  At least they will accept the form in the mail and will mail your new permit and coupon instead of having to take 2 days off from work to go to the county clerks office to drop it off and pick it up.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:34:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't think there is
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think there is

A bunch do it that way...NYC for one.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

How many gun stores are in NYC?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there are 3 in Manhattan, and a few in Queens, and a couple in Staten Island.

NYCers can also buy handguns in Long Island, Westchester, upstate etc.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why would you expect the pistol permit folks to have that information on a Federal instant check program.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...... I just called my county clerk to ask them if I get a nics check done to obtain my brothers gun, can I use it for another gun as well or can I use that one nics check for a certain amount of time. They had no idea and referred me to the local state police gun branch. So basically the people enforcing the rules have no idea what they are. Classic.

Because they are the ones that informed me that I had to do the nics check even thought it is my brother. I just got of the phone with the police gun guy. According to him I can use each nics check for that set of transactions. In other words, if I could line up 3 people to all meet me at the county clerks office, I could do those 3 transactions on the one nics check. If it's two separate days then I would need two separate nics checks.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Because they are the ones that informed me that I had to do the nics check even thought it is my brother. I just got of the phone with the police gun guy. According to him I can use each nics check for that set of transactions. In other words, if I could line up 3 people to all meet me at the county clerks office, I could do those 3 transactions on the one nics check. If it's two separate days then I would need two separate nics checks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your county clerk is running NICS checks? So you aren't handling sales through an FFL and a 4473?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top