Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2015 7:24:13 PM EDT
Moving to NYC for work, Manhattan in particular. I live in FL now, which even with my little knowledge I know to be vastly different. I have a few ARs, pistols, and knives.  I know CA has serious laws restricting certain firearms. Anything I should know before going to NYC? Will I likely be able to bring my stuff with me? I think I remember reading about a no-handgun law in NYC, but not sure if still in effect. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring nothing but a plastic spoon. All ar's all pistols pretty much a no go in NYC !
Any gun you have you have to have a permit BEFORE you possess the gun. Unless you are getting a seven figure salary and fly back to Florida every weekend ( no I am not exaggerating) don't move
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You are essentially going to prison and will be treated as such.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Please read the fourth sticky from the top - the one that in bold says FOR NON Residents....bringing ARs, etc into NY.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You can't be serious?   There is not enough money on earth to get me to work in NYC (no offense to those who do).  

Unless your a movie star or famous plan to carry nothing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, this isn't a troll thread?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
A name like HoyaSaxa is enough to get you banned in these parts. Even after we went ACC.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A name like HoyaSaxa is enough to get you banned in these parts. Even after we went ACC.

View Quote

Cuse fan I suppose? I'll say a prayer for you.

Thanks for the stick reference - will check it out.

No, not a troll thread, I knew it was bad, but damn that's really bad :(

Work in NYC in my field is second to none. Not much of a choice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Finance or drug trafficking?

Also,  Cuse fan with a Hoya ex.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
So........there's an opening in Florida?

Why the fuck would you take a job in NY........and then to top it off NYC?........are you out of your mind?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why the fuck would you take a job in NY........and then to top it off NYC?........are you out of your mind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep . See below lol.

Quoted:

Finance...although I am always into expanding my horizons

Well..I guess we know why he/she is your ex. I'll tell you what though, ending that rivalry was one of the worst things I've seen in NCAA sports.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Do your reading. I'm not long for NY and would be happy to adopt your collection. Will trade compliant stuff for non compliant stuff as soon as I establish residency in a crunchier place.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Que the WELCOME TO NEW YORK you're under arrest! Pic

You REALLY don't know what you've done....
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Que the WELCOME TO NEW YORK you're under arrest! Pic

You REALLY don't know what you've done....
View Quote

Lost that when I ruined my phone...can't remember if it was the one that died after bow season with 41magluva or my duck hunting kayak flipping expo.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Also OP if you ever use the word "quaint" to refer to Upstate we will all hate you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I will say what others are thinking: That was (is) odd.

In that,  you have not carefully given consideration to the cons of moving here. That  you are asking a question about your guns - which may not be a big issue for you anyways, indicate you haven't even tabled the cons to see if that $300k/yr bonus is worth it.

Yes, NYC is the financial epicenter of the USA, but it is also proportionately more expensive to live there, as well as that minor issue about guns you can have.

I hope you are going to live in NJ, or CT and have a driver get you into the city each day, or you are taking the train in/out. This is the only way you are going to come close to having those guns, and even those states have oddities in their law.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you have a backup plan. Had a few fraternity brothers who used to work for Bear Stearns...I think at least 1 is NYPD now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Plus you'll be giving up half your income to taxes, not including the other "fees" and "costs" and "shit" you'll have to pay to live there
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are essentially going to prison and will be treated as such.
View Quote

^ This.   Don't do it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Moving to NYC for work, Manhattan in particular. I live in FL now, which even with my little knowledge I know to be vastly different. I have a few ARs, pistols, and knives.  I know CA has serious laws restricting certain firearms. Anything I should know before going to NYC? Will I likely be able to bring my stuff with me? I think I remember reading about a no-handgun law in NYC, but not sure if still in effect. Thanks!
View Quote

please look for another job outside of NYS/NYC or the Northeast for that fact. Living free is more than collecting a pay check in the gulag.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
OP is going to make sick money and retire young.

Plus more conservative voters never hurt. You're facing an uphill battle and a different lifestyle but you're welcome here.

We're all trying to leave though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Roughly what does the job pay?  Do you have any idea what it costs to live there?  Unless your willing to spend several hours a day on a train.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Just to reinforce...

You can't bring ANY guns with you if you are living in NYC / any of the 5 boroughs. You must first get a very difficult permit to own a long gun in NYC...and an even harder to get permit if you want to own a handgun on nyc.

If you are moving to NY (not NYC), you can't bring any HANDGUNS...just long guns...and long guns must be AWB compliant...no ARs or AKS etc. unless you want to talk about fixing the mag or neutering the pistol grip etc.

But...Manhattan is fun and has lots of conservative people...lots...especially in finance. No you do not need a $100k a year job if you have roommates...ALL young finance people have roommates and share apartments. No they won't be a shoebox...plenty of nice places that you can afford for say $3000/month split between 2 or 3 people.

best food in the world...amazing looking girls...great for your career...

terrible gun laws...high taxes 35%-45% of your income...since the hard working conservatives in NYC have to support the millions of freeloaders.

if you are young do it...if you are in your 30s...don't.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Just to reinforce...

You can't bring ANY guns with you if you are living in NYC / any of the 5 boroughs. You must first get a very difficult permit to own a long gun in NYC...and an even harder to get permit if you want to own a handgun on nyc.

If you are moving to NY (not NYC), you can't bring any HANDGUNS...just long guns...and long guns must be AWB compliant...no ARs or AKS etc. unless you want to talk about fixing the mag or neutering the pistol grip etc.

But...Manhattan is fun and has lots of conservative people...lots...especially in finance. No you do not need a $100k a year job if you have roommates...ALL young finance people have roommates and share apartments. No they won't be a shoebox...plenty of nice places that you can afford for say $3000/month split between 2 or 3 people.

best food in the world...amazing looking girls...great for your career...

terrible gun laws...high taxes 35%-45% of your income...since the hard working conservatives in NYC have to support the millions of freeloaders.

if you are young do it...if you are in your 30s...don't.
View Quote
Fuck that.  Mortgage, taxes, insurance is $803/mo.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:04:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm going yurt.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#25]
If you must move to ny, do yourself a favor and DONT move to manhattan. You can be 5 minutes over the border of nyc; and while ny has fallen to the communists, its slightly better outside of nyc.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yep . See below lol.

Well..I guess we know why he/she is your ex. I'll tell you what though, ending that rivalry was one of the worst things I've seen in NCAA sports.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep . See below lol.

Quoted:

It will be back. Already enough booster support as well as Espn drooling over the proposition of a semi annual New Years week game.

It's gonna be back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where's that?
My taxes are HALF or 1/3 what most of the people I know are paying.  My mortgage is HALF what most of the people pay. And it's still a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Where's that?
My taxes are HALF or 1/3 what most of the people I know are. My mortgage is HALF what most people I is. And it's still a lot more than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where's that?
My taxes are HALF or 1/3 what most of the people I know are. My mortgage is HALF what most people I is. And it's still a lot more than that.

Anywhere west of Monroe county??
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
That's a fun drive to Manhattan every day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:22:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Where's that?

My taxes are HALF or 1/3 what most of the people I know are paying.  My mortgage is HALF what most of the people pay. And it's still a lot more than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's that?

Ontario county.

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:23:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's a fun drive to Manhattan every day.
View Quote
My commute is 15 miles on country roads from the east side of OC to the west side of OC.  If we get a blizzard, it takes me 30 minutes instead of 20-22.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
So much in this thread. You all are significantly more active than the FL group lol.

Job-wise, taking this was a no-brainer.  I am doing high-level M&A work, and so NYC is a must for now. Long-term, I will be back in FL.

I do not plan on living outside of Manhattan. I'm coming from Miami, and I enjoy night life, going out, living in active areas, etc. With my pay, I can easily pay 4k a month alone without issue, and have plenty left over for other expenses + savings.

Good thing is, I will maintain a place in Miami to keep my stuff. Just a shame that people walk around NYC without protection. It's kind of scary to think about, tbh.

Cuse/Gtown needs to come back! I enjoyed those games extensively. I plan on hitting up MSG whenever the Heat are in town, too. Knicks are one of the few teams the Heat shouldn't have a problem with lol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#33]
PEPPER YOUR ANGUS!
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#35]
No amount of money would make me move to NYC if I had to live there semi-long term.  Visit to pick up a check? Sure.  Disease-ridden pile of crap.  No desire to cut my life short.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Brooklyn Nets are NYs Team now.

Go Upper East Side. You'll love it. If you need protection in NYC let me know - I have a few savage buddies who fight MMA down there who would be happy to take someone new into their gym.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:17:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Piss poor 3G in Brasher Falls made me doubletap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No amount of money would make me move to NYC if I had to live there semi-long term.  Visit to pick up a check? Sure.  Disease-ridden pile of crap.  No desire to cut my life short.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Consider also the recent John Jay (?) Freedom in the 50 States index.  You'll be moving from the most free state, to the least free city in the least free state in the Union.  I doubt the mayor of Miami ever tried to tell you how much soda you were allowed to drink in one sitting, or what kind of oil you had to cook with or how much salt you were allowed to put on your food.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#40]
OP,

In NY we have these things called trains.  You do not have to live in NYC to work in NYC.  I commute in everyday, it's no big deal.  Hop on the train relax and I'm there. The best part is that I didn't have to get rid of my guns and knives.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
OP,

In NY we have these things called trains.  You do not have to live in NYC to work in NYC.  I commute in everyday, it's no big deal.  Hop on the train relax and I'm there. The best part is that I didn't have to get rid of my guns and knives.
View Quote

Where are entering from?  WC or LI?
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:28:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP,

Nassau county in LI.  My train is about 40 min each way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#43]
If you have to work in NYC, don't live there. As bad as NJ is, it is 20x better than NY since unsafe passed, and 100X than NYC.    Or if you don't mind a long commute go across to PA, and have nothing to deal with but federal restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Listen to all of these guys and live outside of the city .
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:16:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Life isn't all about guns.

Live in the city and have sex with as many girls as you can. You never know who will be famous someday.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Life isn't all about guns.

Live in the city and have sex with as many girls as you can. You never know who will be famous someday.
View Quote

There is some truth to this... I mean Jessica Alba is famous now so....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#47]
^Even the Mormon guy is telling you to treat your dick like a cell phone charger.....stick it anywhere it fits until you're done.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
^Even the Mormon guy is telling you to treat your dick like a cell phone charger.....stick it anywhere it fits until you're done.
View Quote

Ha! Mormon guy....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Ha! Mormon guy....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! Mormon guy....

I seriously would have been kicked out of BYU thousands of times. Seriously at least like 50 times per rugby practice.

And beating off is bad? Yeah...bout that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I seriously would have been kicked out of BYU thousands of times. Seriously at least like 50 times per rugby practice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha! Mormon guy....

Well it does teach you a thing or two about self control I can tell you that
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top