Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2015 9:21:23 AM EDT
On Drudge today

Southern Tier towns looking to cut NY ties

Conklin, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The local economy is pushing one organization in Upstate New York to pose a question: Is it possible to secede to Pennsylvania?

The Upstate New York Towns Association is researching this very topic. The group says a few factors pushing its research are high property taxes, low sales tax revenue and the recent decision to ban hydraulic fracturing in New York.
View Quote

There are 15 towns interested in the secession, according to the Towns Association. These towns are in Broome, Delaware, Tioga and Sullivan counties. The association declined to name the towns without their permission and also declined to comment on specifics at this time. As of now, research is ongoing. The group will be updating Action News with all of their findings in the coming weeks.

The association said it's comparing taxes and the cost of doing business in the two states. It says the facts show there is a huge difference between the two.
View Quote

"We're comparing the taxes in Pennsylvania compared to those in New York," said Finch. "There's a great, great difference. Right now, we are being deprived of work, jobs and incomes."
View Quote

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Southern-Tier-towns-looking-to-cut-NY-ties--292486411.html

FUAC!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Good I hope the succeed. Fuck you Andy boy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Has something like this ever happened since, like, the frontier era?

I doubt it...As much as I'd like to see it happen, I think we all know it won't.

FUAC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
They might have a chance. Downstate doesn't want the burden, the Congress is controlled by the Republicans that don't like NY and PA would love additional revenue from gas production. It's a win-win.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I doubt it...As much as I'd like to see it happen, I think we all know it won't.

FUAC.
View Quote

Since the frontier era as in late 1700s?
I know that county and town lines were still in flux in the early 19th century in my county
I doubt that NYS has lost any towns to another state at anytime in the last 200 years
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I know that county and town lines were still in flux in the early 19th century in my county
I doubt that NYS has lost any towns to another state at anytime in the last 200 years
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC.

I'd be interested to know what the state could actually do? If PA was somehow willing to accept the town's, what is the state going to do? Withhold state funding for schools?

I'm guessing that this would have to go all the way up the chain where it would be shot down in the USSC where they would come up with some bogus reasoning all the while knowing that the precedent it would set would absolutely destroy the democratic base in red states when the blue state conservatives join a purple states voting populous.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They might have a chance. Downstate doesn't want the burden, the Congress is controlled by the Republicans that don't like NY and PA would love additional revenue from gas production. It's a win-win.
View Quote

Only if none of NYCs drinking water comes from those towns.  If any of their water comes through that area, expect the state to fight it tooth and nail, since we all know Cuomo and the Assembly don't give a crap about upstate, and the Senate barely pretends to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#7]
But wouldn't something like this need to be approved by congress or something? Changing the make-up / shape of a state?

I honestly have no idea...but it sounds impossible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#8]
How can we facilitate it? I'm willing to donate, demonstrate, make calls, write letters, whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Well if nothing else that would put the PA border that much closer to many of you for border hopping ammo shopping
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Technically Town Line, NY (a teeny town between Lancaster and Alden) seceded from the Union during the Civil War, and was not technically re-admitted until 1945 I think....

But good on 'em, hope they succeed in seceding!
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Technically Town Line, NY (a teeny town between Lancaster and Alden) seceded from the Union during the Civil War, and was not technically re-admitted until 1945 I think....

But good on 'em, hope they succeed in seceding!
View Quote

Yes.........that is fact.........why they are called "The last of the rebels"........the entire town lancaster came within a few votes of seceding as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Hopefully this will catch on
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope my family property in Sullivan makes it into Pa. My whole view of the future would change.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would love to see a true concerted effort for all of upstate to secede. FNYC.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will contact them on Monday to see what can be done to help.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.......imagine the ability to start from scratch and model our state after one like South Carolina, or Montana, or Wyoming.......I can almost taste it
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]
New reporter: "Governor Cuomo, what have you to say about the Southern Tier Towns trying to secede from NYS?"
Cuomo: "They're not trying to secede, why would anyone want to leave this glorious State?"  

NR: "What about hydro-fracking?"
Cuomo: Frack-schmack, nobody's getting drilling permits without the proper tributes  er, permits, besides it'll contaminate the water."
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Dear god, please take Cortland County too...I'll pay taxes, I promise.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
What is the legal process for making NYC a district like DC? I've always thought that made the most sense since it wouldn't change the national flag. No new state lines need to be drawn or commemorative quarters minted lol. I'd be willing to bet NYC residents would probably be for it to for their own reasons.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:21:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What is the legal process for making NYC a district like DC? I've always thought that made the most sense since it wouldn't change the national flag. No new state lines need to be drawn or commemorative quarters minted lol. I'd be willing to bet NYC residents would probably be for it to for their own reasons.
View Quote

I think NYC residents would think of that as a downgrade in their status.
They see themselves as the heart of the state and Upstate as a bunch of hicks who barely deserve to be called NYers
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#22]
It's ironic the mentality of the Statist, the Liberals of NYC who think they are so much smarter, so much more elite, and any Laws or conditions they impose for the betterment of society must revolve around themselves as they have a denser population, but divorce us they will not.  You see to substantiate your position of superiority you must have someone to reflect it against.  Those in control KNOW where their food, water, and money comes from, know where the Prisons for their sub-standard human excrement must be sent, know where the Landfills are or rather are not.
As impossible as it seemed in the Movies, I'd gladly lay the first brick in the wall separating that shit-hold from the rest of the World. (Sorry to our brethren stuck down there, but you know how to survive and escape before it's sealed off)
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Is it Mohawk time yet?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is it Mohawk time yet?
View Quote

"Me last of Mohecans"
"Me smell Mohecan burning"
"Wait, if me last of Mehecans.....I must be on FIRE!"  
Old Loony-Toons Cartoon from a very long time ago....Episode of Bugs Bunny I think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hope my family property in Sullivan makes it into Pa. My whole view of the future would change.
View Quote

Same here, but Delaware County, if that was in PA.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Delaware County can't go - without SUNY there would be zero employment
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#27]
There was another split-state proposal that some group put out. New Amsterdam would become an autonomy within NYS and would have its own laws and Constitution. In return, NYS would collect 3% of taxes and revenues.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Delaware County can't go - without SUNY there would be zero employment
View Quote

A few of these would bring some jobs.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There was another split-state proposal that some group put out. New Amsterdam would become an autonomy within NYS and would have its own laws and Constitution. In return, NYS would collect 3% of taxes and revenues.
View Quote

at this point.. whimpering around like a beat dog, id pay more tax if it meant unilateral freedom where i currently live

hands down no question...   id even name my new SBR "Tax man"

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The question is, how badly do people want it? This movement will not gain momentum until someone takes a stand. Possibly Mohawk style - block the roads and bridges, not allow anyone in. It has to be supported by the local officials and sheriffs. This has to be on the news 24 hrs per day. Otherwise, nobody will do anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Good. The more local opposition to the criminal triumvirate ruling this state, the better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The question is, how badly do people want it? This movement will not gain momentum until someone takes a stand. Possibly Mohawk style - block the roads and bridges, not allow anyone in. It has to be supported by the local officials and sheriffs. This has to be on the news 24 hrs per day. Otherwise, nobody will do anything.
View Quote

What is this a reference to?
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Well  fuck, if that's what a fracking well looks like, just let me put some antennas on it!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Currently vacationing in Johnson City, NY.  I can practically smell the Mason-Dixon Line from here!
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Currently vacationing in Johnson City, NY.  I can practically smell the Mason-Dixon Line from here!
View Quote

You're bad at vacation.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well  fuck, if that's what a fracking well looks like, just let me put some antennas on it!
View Quote

That's just while they're drilling.  During production it only something like this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
That's just while they're drilling.  During production it only something like this.

http://cleantechnica.com/files/2014/07/Completed-natural-gas-wellhead-installation.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://cleantechnica.com/files/2014/07/Completed-natural-gas-wellhead-installation.png
Just let me use it for an earth ground...

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:05:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You're bad at vacation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're bad at vacation.

Mebbe so.  But me and five other swim dads just got back from a drunken festivity called "rock n bowl".  Eat your heart out you ramen noodle eatin, dog snuggling muthatrucker!

Wow, I don't usually post hammered.  Bowling sure was a hoot though!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

FUAC.
View Quote

Vermont was part of New York at one time
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FUAC.

And western New York was Connecticut's "western reserve".

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Dear god, please take Cortland County too...I'll pay taxes, I promise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUAC.

I think there is a better chance of a green light for fracking AND the repeal of the Unsafe act before this attempt to secede happens.
In the last line of the article below it says that both NY and PA have to agree along with a rubber stamp from the feds...

http://nypost.com/2015/03/02/upstate-towns-threatening-to-secede-from-new-york/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top