Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/27/2015 8:06:13 PM EDT
I've got a self-identified LEO, he has sent me a copy of his ID and the applicable laws, requesting to purchase my mags (link below). Looking for confirmation of Go, No-Go. (YES...I did read the posts yet I'm still confused. Maybe this was meant to be?)

92FS 32 Round Mags
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell him if everyone else can't have them then he can't either.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Tell him that nobody needs 32 rounds to kill a "dee-ah."  
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  Please.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
We've had this come up before and it didn't end well. Bottom line is, if he's a cop then yes it's legal. However, like others have said, you can stand with regular gun owners and refuse the sale. It's your choice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
He didn't write the law and exempt himself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Who cares if he is a LEO from NY or not.  You Should say hey this guys behind enemy lines and he gets what he needs because I'm a patriot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who cares if he is a LEO from NY or not.  You Should say hey this guys behind enemy lines and he gets what he needs because I'm a patriot.
View Quote

He would probably he happy as hell to make an arrest for a citizen with the same mags though. That's the difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
And why can't the buyer go to his LGS and buy retail from an FFL?  

Pay retail like the rest of us debt serfs...  and support his local FFL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And why can't the buyer go to his LGS and buy retail from an FFL?  

Pay retail like the rest of us debt serfs...  and support his local FFL.
View Quote

Retail, thats a good one, plenty of companies will sell and ship to NY at a discount.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He would probably he happy as hell to make an arrest for a citizen with the same mags though. That's the difference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are literally hundreds of thousands of magazines over 10 round capacity on NYS........yet unbelievably 100,000s of people aren't getting arrested.

Go figure.......I wonder why?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There are literally hundreds of thousands of magazines over 10 round capacity on NYS........yet unbelievably 100,000s of people aren't getting arrested.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware of a lot of mags over 10, I have yet to see one in the wild after SAFE though. People aren't stupid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm aware of a lot of mags over 10, I have yet to see one in the wild after SAFE though. People aren't stupid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen plenty........and you overestimate people
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think most people sit on internet gun forums all day? Most people have no clue it's illegal, or they have no idea it's a felony. It's difficult for most to comprehend that possession of piece of stamped metal or plastic is a felony.

10+ are out there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:21:53 PM EDT
[#16]
If its the guy who posted in that thread send them.  He is not the problem.  The law does not affect you.  Keep all the documents, your as good as it gets.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

But he's sure happy to exploit his profession to buy some toys that are definately not for on-duty use.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably simply because:

1) Law abiding gun owners are not giving police any reason to examine their weapons / magazines

and / or

2) People aren't carrying those magazines or taking them to the range out of fear

That said, have there likely been some instances state-wide where a LEO warned someone that what they had was now illegal and let them go?  Surely.

However, I'm sure it's also true that there have been some arrests that weren't big enough news to hear about.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Save him the disappointment, they're promags, they ain't gonna feed anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Or maybe the LEO is the kind of guy that would share such evil "boxes with springs" when and if the time came to do so.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm the one that posted in the for sale ad, and I can assure you first hand, I wouldn't be the one making any such arrest for that type of violation. I am a believer every person should own such things, and have a thing called "professional discretion" when working, I'm not required to make an arrest just cause you do something that's not within the letter of the law you know..

Quoted:
But he's sure happy to exploit his profession to buy some toys that are definately not for on-duty use.

I may not carry a Beretta while on duty, but I do carry both a sig and a glock, and I carry a 33 round glock mag in my cargo pocket..

Quoted:
Or maybe the LEO is the kind of guy that would share such evil "boxes with springs" when and if the time came to do so.

I do it now. I love bringing friends to the range with me and allowing them to shoot my stuff. Strangers at the next point too. I see no reason everyone can't enjoy just because I'm permitted to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm the one that posted in the for sale ad, and I can assure you first hand, I wouldn't be the one making any such arrest for that type of violation. I am a believer every person should own such things, and have a thing called "professional discretion" when working, I'm not required to make an arrest just cause you do something that's not within the letter of the law you know..

I may not carry a Beretta while on duty, but I do carry both a sig and a glock, and I carry a 33 round glock mag in my cargo pocket..

I do it now. I love bringing friends to the range with me and allowing them to shoot my stuff. Strangers at the next point too. I see no reason everyone can't enjoy just because I'm permitted to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These threads never end well because some people just won't get it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
These threads never end well because some people just won't get it.
View Quote

And you know what? I'm perfectly fine with that. I would expect no less, and people are entitled to their opinion. I felt the same way people in this thread do before I was on the job, and I have and still do petition for the championing of gun rights. I'm on the bus to Albany and standing with the men and women on the capital lawn, but I also made a conscious decision to better my life and get an excellent career, and that career does come with it's perks, and I will use those perks if possible.
With that said, I would not disparage anyone or talk down to them like some have suggested or treat them like second class citizens who shouldn't be allowed to own these things. I have met people I work with that would though, and I have tried my best to educate them, but that is not who I am or the way I operate.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell him to pound sand; no 10+ mags to ban states.

The LEO exemption is so they can possess equipment for work purposes.  32 round Beretta 92 mags are range toys, not work gear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The LEO exemption is so they can possess equipment for work purposes.  32 round Beretta 92 mags are range toys, not work gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hide yer dag.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I understand your frustration, that simply isn't true. There is no "for official use only" language built into the section dealing with exemptions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:44:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

While I understand your frustration, that simply isn't true. There is no "for official use only" language built into the section dealing with exemptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law as passed didn't include an LEO magazine exemption.  The law was amended so police could legally carry their duty weapons to capacity, not so they could buy toys for personal use.  Intent vs. letter of the law and all that.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#29]
It's a recruiting tactic to get more JBTs into them boots.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The law as passed didn't include an LEO magazine exemption.  The law was amended so police could legally carry their duty weapons to capacity, not so they could buy toys for personal use.  Intent vs. letter of the law and all that.

View Quote

Actually, if you want to get technical, the law didn't change. The law exempting LEO's, Peace officers, active military etc. has always been 265.20. All they did was add 265.36 and 265.37 to 265.20. Previously, LEO's were exempt from magazine capacity as it applied in 265.02 already covered by 265.20

Interestingly enough, if you really want to blow a gasket, Individual LEO's can also own Machine Guns, short barrel rifles, suppressors and etc. because 265.20 individually exempts them from 265.02 and 265.03
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every once in awhile you say something which makes me question the color and length of your bus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Every once in awhile you say something which makes me question the color and length of your bus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's no sarcasm font.

It's a poorly written law all around. Send the mags regardless of LEO status.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I know lots of cops in NY that I would say are wonderful, 2A supporting people who are just as pissed off at Cuomo et al. as the rest of us are.

That being said... Treat him like the rest of us are treated and say no.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actually, if you want to get technical, the law didn't change. The law exempting LEO's, Peace officers, active military etc. has always been 265.20. All they did was add 265.36 and 265.37 to 265.20. Previously, LEO's were exempt from magazine capacity as it applied in 265.02 already covered by 265.20

Interestingly enough, if you really want to blow a gasket, Individual LEO's can also own Machine Guns, short barrel rifles, suppressors and etc. because 265.20 individually exempts them from 265.02 and 265.03
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why buy your own when you can just borrow the department's FA/suppressed toys and ammo?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 10:03:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why buy your own when you can just borrow the department's FA/suppressed toys and ammo?
View Quote

I do that aswell
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The NY LEOs I know don't exactly stock up on extra mags
Someone here posted the other day that they have 1600 P mags
I would be very surprised if ANY of the current local LEOs I know own more than 3 or 4 AR mags each.
Not exactly a quantity that would be "share-able" when "it came time"

Quoted:

Yup on the short barrel stuff , you just have to apply for the stamp as any non-NYer would do
I don't know about the FA though,
Never looked into that and I doubt most local LE could even hope to play the FA game at current FA prices
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would be very surprised if ANY of the current local LEOs I know own more than 3 or 4 AR mags each.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's very stereotyping to the police and I, as someone who talked to a cop once, am offended.

Can I change my name to SocialJusticeWarrior
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's very stereotyping to the police and I, as someone who talked to a cop once, am offended.
View Quote

I see your sarcasm, but personal experience trumps your tender feelings
I suppose people could argue that some officers hide their gun views and collections well, but based on talking to local guys over time, I'd have to say we know which of us is a "gun guy" and which isn't
The gun guys tend to have a room of guns and gun stuff collected over a career.
Most skew the other way and at most had a single AR with a  couple of mags before SAFE passed and a couple of handguns or hunting long guns, and if they buy a gun they're just as likely to sell the gun they already have to fund the new purchase. They absolutely do NOT tend to collect a significant number of guns by ARF standards, and the guns they do have tend to have low round counts down the barrel
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#39]
I love reading these threads.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I suppose people could argue that some officers hide their gun views and collections well, but based on talking to local guys over time, I'd have to say we know which of us is a "gun guy" and which isn't
Most skew the other way and at most had a single AR with a  couple of mags before SAFE passed and a couple of handguns or hunting long guns, and if they buy a gun they're just as likely to sell the gun they already have to fund the new purchase. They absolutely do NOT tend to collect a significant number of guns by ARF standards, and the guns they do have tend to have low round counts down the barrel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on.

I see the assumption in the news all the time that every officer is a competitive shooter and marksman well above the skill of the average civilian.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#41]
God you guys are a bunch of ass holes.

I couldn't even finish reading this GD worthy crap. I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did HTF become such a LEO bash shit show.

Keep in mind almost ALL the sheriffs depts have said they are against the law and will not actively enforce it. You ass hats bash cops, but I'm sure are the first ones to bitch they are not there when someone steals your shit. sounds like liberal mentality to me.

Were all behind the line together...you wanna be a liberal...take that mentality and use it to INCH BACK our rights like they inch forward to take them away. Atleast SOMEONE in this shit hole state can have high caps still. And like another poster said..when that shit hits the fan, you'll be happy to have a LEO friend to share mags with. Be happy with what we have and stop crying because someone took your toy away and DO SOMETHING about it rant over....
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Spot on.

I see the assumption in the news all the time that every officer is a competitive shooter and marksman well above the skill of the average civilian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spot on.

There was a huge scaling back of police shooting activities around the 1980's.  In the old days agencies had competitive teams and would have matches where agencies competed.  When the switch from revolvers, expensive transition costs, no more department  reloads, increased costs of ammo and the team/competitive thing went away when the agencies yanked the financial support.  

Now you're lucky if 10% will shell out enough for even one box of ammo out of their own pocket at current prices.  If an agency provides more than 4 boxes of training ammo per officer  a year I would be surprised.

I agree Screen-name.   I get that they're mad as hell.   They F'n should be and should be on the politicians.   Instead they jump on the police as easy targets.  Kind of like the "hands up, don't shoot" crowd.   I'm about as pro gun guy as you'll find but this is arfcom, you will be bashed in a childish manner for supporting police here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The result of 80 years of radio and TV and movie police dramas
If they knew how basic your average agencies firearms program or the officers overall familiarity with firearms is, they'd be shocked
It's simply an assumption that's gone unchallenged
There are always exceptions.

Quoted:

There was a huge scaling back of police shooting activities around the 1980's.  In the old days agencies had competitive teams and would have matches where agencies competed.  When the switch from revolvers, expensive transition costs, no more department  reloads, increased costs of ammo and the team/competitive thing went away when the agencies yanked the financial support.  

Now you're lucky if 10% will shell out enough for even one box of ammo out of their own pocket at current prices.  If an agency provides more than 4 boxes of training ammo per officer  a year I would be surprised.

It's actually gone the other way with us
Some of the guys still working when I got hired fondly recalled when there were no annual qualifications at all
Now we've gone from a single day at the range to multiple live fire days, a multi- week block of multi-agency sims training every winter, from shotguns that weren't even carried in the cars to carrying both a rifle and a shotgun, from no backup guns to backup guns, from one firearms guy who may or may have had the position primarily out of an interest for the OT it created to a whole slew of instructors,etc.
There is always room for improvement.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#44]
So why can't they just shoot bad guys in the leg with a 9mm from 40 yards in a dynamic situation?

I seen that one movie where the guy bent bullets with his mind.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I couldn't even finish reading this GD worthy crap. I know I've been gone for a while, but when the hell did HTF become such a LEO bash shit show.

Keep in mind almost ALL the sheriffs depts have said they are against the law and will not actively enforce it. You ass hats bash cops, but I'm sure are the first ones to bitch they are not there when someone steals your shit. sounds like liberal mentality to me.

Were all behind the line together...you wanna be a liberal...take that mentality and use it to INCH BACK our rights like they inch forward to take them away. Atleast SOMEONE in this shit hole state can have high caps still. And like another poster said..when that shit hits the fan, you'll be happy to have a LEO friend to share mags with. Be happy with what we have and stop crying because someone took your toy away and DO SOMETHING about it rant over....
View Quote

Why is it that every time people get pissed off at NY cops that use unSAFE ARs and magazines over 10 rounds for their personal use its called cop bashing?

Can't you understand why there is some resentment even though most of the cops posting here claim that they are "gun guys" and "stand with the people"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#46]
The resentment isn't with the cops - it's with the politicians for granting them special rights.

At the end of the day Law enforcement officers are humans. Some are corrupt, some are bad, some are great, some are mediocre. Everybody poops.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's start with this: many of us don't understand why the LE community is somehow more privileged than us in their private lives. Then there is the whole thing about the assumption that the police are somehow better shooters and handlers then those of us who have put hundreds of hours in at the range and that makes them responsible enough to have dangerous things that us kids aren't old enough to have. We will shoot ourselves or worse yet the children.

Then we can talk about fact that there have multiple instances in the last 2 years where people who "won't enforce this law" have cuffed guys and counted rounds and all around harassed guys just for carrying.  Not that that is really anything new..

Last of all we have the active militarization of the police across the nation which has done nothing to help the situation at all. We get it ... not all cops are thugs. .. but there are a whole ton that are (cop slapping the kid in the face three months ago ringing any bells?)  And we only have that which we know about to go in.

If you are looking for sympathy for a tough job by saying that somehow gets an officer special privileges, then I'm going to call bullshit. I've worked in the steel industry (minus for in the .mil) since I was 16 and I probably am lucky to be in one piece given the accidents I have been around , but I don't get anything for "putting my life on the line every day." Neither do firemen, underwater welders,  coke oven smelters, commercial fishermen, or loggers, all of which have a much higher statistical likelihood of dying on the job then a police officer.

Basically we (or at least I) don't hate police. I wanted to be an officer since forever, but apparently it wasn't in the cards. So I'll continue hanging with my buddies and cousins, out shooting all of them at the range, and using them to get out of tickets. But in the meantime I'll won't be campaigning for special rules for them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Let's start with this: many of us don't understand why the LE community is somehow more privileged than us in their private lives. Then there is the whole thing about the assumption that the police are somehow better shooters and handlers then those of us who have put hundreds of hours in at the range and that makes them responsible enough to have dangerous things that us kids aren't old enough to have. We will shoot ourselves or worse yet the children.

Then we can talk about fact that there have multiple instances in the last 2 years where people who "won't enforce this law" have cuffed guys and counted rounds and all around harassed guys just for carrying.  Not that that is really anything new..

Last of all we have the active militarization of the police across the nation which has done nothing to help the situation at all. We get it ... not all cops are thugs. .. but there are a whole ton that are (cop slapping the kid in the face three months ago ringing any bells?)  And we only have that which we know about to go in.

If you are looking for sympathy for a tough job by saying that somehow gets an officer special privileges, then I'm going to call bullshit. I've worked in the steel industry (minus for in the .mil) since I was 16 and I probably am lucky to be in one piece given the accidents I have been around , but I don't get anything for "putting my life on the line every day." Neither do firemen, underwater welders,  coke oven smelters, commercial fishermen, or loggers, all of which have a much higher statistical likelihood of dying on the job then a police officer.

Basically we (or at least I) don't hate police. I wanted to be an officer since forever, but apparently it wasn't in the cards. So I'll continue hanging with my buddies and cousins, out shooting all of them at the range, and using them to get out of tickets. But in the meantime I'll won't be campaigning for special rules for them.
View Quote

First point:
Not a matter of "privilege"
if you recall, back when they passed the 1994 Federal ban there was some talk about not exempting local LE and only exempting the military
In the end the argument revolved around issues like LE needing to be able to respond to higher capacity weapons, larger caliber weapons
They couldn't very well not exempt law enforcement while also preventing the military from acting in a law enforcement capacity on US soil so....local LE got exempted.
Besides, you aren't going to see the people who support big gov't not exempting the enforcement arm of that gov't.
The answer to that point could go on and on.....
As far as officers "personal lives", the only alternative would be to go full Canadian and tell officers they had to leave duty gear at home. That isn't going to happen in the USA. So do some officers exploit whats supposed to be a job related exemption for personal use? Sure they do.
The ones who think they'll always be exempt don't recognize that if the banners had their way, the incremental march towards control will eventually see us going the Canadian route.

I already addressed the perceptions of police marksmanship.

There is no "militarization", and the "good old days" weren't so great.
The old days were not Andy Griffith and Mayberry

edit:
as far as the occupational hazards thing, that's been beat to death here
The logger doesn't have people following them around off the job, nor is the fisherman going to be assaulted by a fish they caught
Of course people will say that there are risks to anyone of being assaulted or killed randomly in society, but with crime stats falling and largely affecting the minority community, a lot of citizens are really going to downplay any risks to the average non-LEO in daily society. Talking perceptions here, and that's whats going to drive what is included in these types of laws.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#49]
I have the 7th deadliest job in the US.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There is no "militarization", and the "good old days" weren't so great.
The old days were not Andy Griffith and Mayberry
View Quote

OK since you answered the question with a very real amount of intelligence I now need to ask about your opinion on the last part.

you were .mil as well, so first question is : how many countless hours of training did you go through to be on a fire team?  How many hours at the range did you have to spend to be issued a weapon and qualify?  How much drilling in the ROE did you have to go through.

I'm guessing the answer is some where between "a lot" and I don't want to talk about it."

Then I see police being issued small arms and ballistic gear in Ferguson and it was so obvious just from videos that there lack of training was apparent. The standing still, the long runs between cover..

What happened to 6 seconds of movement max? Or the snipers sitting in full view on top of a van?

Perhaps this was an anomaly, I would have to defer to you on that part,  but my thought behind the whole militarization movement isn't even so much the ever increasing role change from community involvement and interaction to the more suspicious role of "license and reg, step out of the car" but more so the Cowboys they are hiring and handing them a sig556 and saying disperse that crowd.

forgive the incoherent babble I'm on my phone for this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top