Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 8:30:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton County Sheriff Thomas Lorey, a SAFE Act critic, said he wanted the county to be part of the pilot program so he could be kept aware of the state's plans. But he's urging citizens to reject the early re-certification notices when they come, saying there's no need to do so before 2018. Some gun-rights groups are urging supporters to do the same.

"I don't believe there is any particular advantage to registering your pistol permit every five years anyway," Lorey said, "I'm saying what until 2018; wait until you see what you have to do."
View Quote

Probably good advice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 8:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
yep i agree and i hoping by than ill be only own a house here.. and living full time in a free state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yep i agree and i hoping by than ill be only own a house here.. and living full time in a free state.
View Quote

If you maintain any ties with NYS they'll fight tooth and nail your claim that you're no longer a NYer
Be prepared to prove how long every year you spend or do not spend in NY
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
"since the law took effect in March 2013, there were 3,930 arrests under the various SAFE Act offenses. The majority were in New York City and the most were for criminal possession of a firearm, a felony under the new law."

I wonder what the real number of SAFE related arrests are after you factor out those cases that were arrestable under previously existing laws
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"since the law took effect in March 2013, there were 3,930 arrests under the various SAFE Act offenses. The majority were in New York City and the most were for criminal possession of a firearm, a felony under the new law."

I wonder what the real number of SAFE related arrests are after you factor out those cases that were arrestable under previously existing laws
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Do we know yet if this is just a simple renewal? Or will one have to go through the process of re-securing references, having them contacted, background checks and fingerprints, etc?

Unfortunately with as many that have left NY for better rights and lower taxes, most of my references from the time I submitted my initial application were a part of it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#7]
From what I have heard no.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do we know yet if this is just a simple renewal? Or will one have to go through the process of re-securing references, having them contacted, background checks and fingerprints, etc?

Unfortunately with as many that have left NY for better rights and lower taxes, most of my references from the time I submitted my initial application were a part of it.

View Quote

From what I can decipher from everything I've read, the renewal is everything in the application except references.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
screw them!  I hope that all of those 500 people throw those "invitations" into the garbage.  but i bet at least 1/3rd will take the "this is a great idea, i have nothing to hide" type attitude and bend over for the gestapo!   it will be a great day when these scumbags take their last breathe!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Draw dickbutt on the early invitation and return.  Send recertification form on very last day before deadline using certified mail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
screw them!  I hope that all of those 500 people throw those "invitations" into the garbage.  but i bet at least 1/3rd will take the "this is a great idea, i have nothing to hide" type attitude and bend over for the gestapo!   it will be a great day when these scumbags take their last breathe!
View Quote

My bet is at least 1/2 if not slightly more.

People don't realize, than even amongst gun owners, the righeous rebels of us are quite the minority.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
So I have to shell out another fuckin hundo for fingerprints?

Yeah. I'll get right on that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
From what I have heard no.
View Quote

Yet
Give them time
Dealers have to go through that whole process every time we change our physical address
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Think they will put restrictions in unrestricted licenses?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your permit doesn't expire; that was one of the SAFE "compromises."  Originally they wanted to take licensing from the counties and give it to the NYSP.  You need to re-certify (presumably with a valid NY address and driver's license) every 5 years or they revoke the permit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently, judges do not have the authority to hand out restricted licenses... according to the Fulton Co. Sheriff.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I went to a pistol class with a guy that turned his paper one in for a laminated permit and when he got it back he had the sportsman restrictions on it.
This is Onondaga county so I assume they are just set up to give everyone sportsman licenses unless your "important"
So are the SP going to be doing the transfers now? And I wonder if there would be any restrictions on a permit from the SP after renewed?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:30:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Infringed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:55:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
state police don't have any authority to alter permits, and what if they did? What do they do when I go down to the judge and have the restriction removed?    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to a pistol class with a guy that turned his paper one in for a laminated permit and when he got it back he had the sportsman restrictions on it.
This is Onondaga county so I assume they are just set up to give everyone sportsman licenses unless your "important"
So are the SP going to be doing the transfers now? And I wonder if there would be any restrictions on a permit from the SP after renewed?
state police don't have any authority to alter permits, and what if they did? What do they do when I go down to the judge and have the restriction removed?    

Judges made up "sporting and hunting" pure out of the blue, what's stopping the NYSP?

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Apparently, judges do not have the authority to hand out restricted licenses... according to the Fulton Co. Sheriff.  
View Quote

tell my local judge that ...

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Judges made up "sporting and hunting" pure out of the blue, what's stopping the NYSP?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the state police are just renewing not issuing licenses. You still have to go to your local place right?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Not a renewal.  Certification that your PP data is current.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, guess what, I have until 2018...until then, they can fuck themselves...

And hopefully by 2018 I'll be long gone....
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#26]
And to add, everyone should wait until the last week, then SWAMP them...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Gee, I only have one comment -

Eat Shit And Die!!

I'm tired of this crap, too tired to care anymore - too tired to care to participate.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When Ontario switched from paper to plastic I specifically asked if there would be any restrictions placed on my license if I upgraded to the new style.

Clerk's response: "Why would we put restrictions on your license?" followed by her jokingly saying "Well I guess we could make some up if you wanted but I really don't know what they would be".

When she handed me my new plastic license, in addition to the standard "License to carry pistol" wording it also said FULL CARRY on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
MEMORANDUM

DATE: December 2, 2014

RE: NYS Police presentation on the SAFE Act Enforcement

On Tuesday November 18, 2014 at the Winter Meeting of the New York State Association of County Clerks the State Police conducted a presentation on the recertification process required under the New York State Safe Act.

Representing the State Police were:
Lt. James Sherman
Tim Mylos
Lynne Rosenzweig

Points of Interest:
1) A pilot of the recertification process will begin in January of 2015.
2) The Pilot Counties will be Albany, Schenectady and Fulton.
3) 500 invitations to recertify will be sent out to each of the pilot counties.
4) The invitations will direct the permit holders to a state police web site or where they can download the recertification form.
5) There will be no county seal or any other county identifier on the letters to be sent out.
6) The invitation will be to recertify immediately although recertification is not required prior to January 31, 2018.
7) Recertification letters will be sent out state wide to selected groups between March-June 2015.
8) The Goal of the State police is to have as many people recertify electronically as possible. (Our goal should be to have EVERYONE recertify with a paper form)
9) Paper forms will be available for download or from the state police website or at all trooper barracks.
10) Once approved the State police will issue a plastic recertification card that will need to be carried with the permit at all times.
11) The recertification web site will only available to individuals who have already received an invitation to recertify with a user id and password.
12) The paper forms can be filed by anyone at any time.
13) The applicants home address will be checked against DMV records.
14) Out of State addresses will be sent to the licensing officer.
15) Any permit holder that does not have a valid NYS driver’s license or ID will be required to get one. This includes out of state residents that are permit holders. (But requiring voters to have an ID is racist)
16) Electronically there will be a save function so the recertification can be complete during more than one session.
17) Re-certification is a state police function. The County Clerks do not have a role.
18) Counties will be notified when recertification is approved.
19) Recertification discrepancies must be corrected by amendment to license at the county level. Applicants will be instructed to do so.
20) When a permit holder recertifies online they will be able to print out a receipt with a tracking number. That tracing number can then be used to check where the application is in the process.
21) If the applicant recertifies by mail they will receive a return receipt with a tracking number.
22) Lt. Sherman did not encourage the use of certified mail but it would be a proof of mailing an application and proof it was received.
23) The recertification application is just like a pistol permit application without the references. The applicant is required to list all arrests, drug or alcohol treatment, mental illness or family court petition or charge.
24) The applicant lists all hand guns registered to him and this information may need to be reconciled with the state data base.
25) There are four steps to the recertification process:
a. Submission of application
b. Acceptance of the application
c. Review/ Return for correction
d. Approval/Revocation
26) Once submitted, the recertification application will be checked against the following data bases:
a. NCIC’s
b. MHL/946 (Mental Health Law)
c. Orders of probation (should say Orders of Protection)
d. DMV
e. Parole
f. Probation
g. NYS wanted and missing

27) If the applicant is negative on the above checks the application is approved and the recertification cards will be issued.
28) Positives will be referred to the licensing officer for revocation or clarification
29) If the NYS Police determine that it cannot re certify the permit, the recertification is sent to the licensing officer. (Lt. Sherman indicated that a permit holder will have his entire application reviewed by the state police and the application may be referred to a licensing officer for further review even if the information disclosed on the recertification application is the same as the information provided in the initial pistol permit application. This is not limited to Federal prohibitors.
30) The Licensing officer does not have the legal authority to do anything other than revoke if there is a federal prohibitor.
31) The licensing officer would be responsible for getting a certificate of relief from disabilities for past problems that are not covered by the federal prohibitor list
32) There are three letters that are possibly sent to a permit holder seeking to recertify the pistol permit
a. Letter calling for re certification
b. Letter stating permit problem to be resolved
c. Letter granting recertification
33) After January 31, 2018 the law states that the failure to recertify is an automatic revocation. Likely it will fall to the licensing officer to actually revoke the permit.
34) There will be a check box on the recertification for a co-registered weapon.
35) Applicant has the option to have the information on the recertification application exempted from public disclosure.
36) According to lt. Sherman the object of the recertification process is to create a “Pristine” data base that any law enforcement official would be able to access at any time with real time information.
37) Lt Sherman stated that the pistol permit data would be linked to the DMV data base and an officer would know a pulled over vehicle was owned by a pistol permit holder.
38) Indicating a pistol permit on the face of a driver’s license is not a decision that has been made yet.
39) Their goal is to send out the first recertification letters state wide by early spring.
40) There was a power point for the presentation but Sherman said it would not be released to the clerk’s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#30]
So now we need a license to carry a license.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I think you can apply online, which they want, so I assume no new fingerprint cards, they don't want a gazillion new fingerprint cards to sort and don't really need them
View Quote

Those are all electronic anyways now
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah but you can't do them on your computer at home  
View Quote

Tell me about it
Last year I had to resubmit my prints for my dealers license renewal
This year because I moved they automatically make you resubmit your entire dealer application, including prints, references etc
No, I didn't get a discount for having to submit prints twice within roughly a year
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I haven't see anyone get prints in ages. Years ago I went to the jail to meet a long time client who had been arrested again, love that guy, anyway they were just starting to scan prints, but the thing looked like a super computer and was like 4' tall, took five times as long as doing it with ink
View Quote

That's about a correct analysis of Livescan
Unlike a Datamaster where you step into any agency with a Datamaster and you get the same piece of gear, it seems like every Livescan is set up different.
The one downtown is different from ours, and the newer ones like the one at my PT place are even more different and more like a laptop with an attached camera .
The state changes vendors and the specs change

Yes, the processing takes forever, and you run the risk of going offline or crashing and losing all your work and having to start over
Drunks are especially fun when you can't get the computer to accept the print.
We used to be able to bang out any processing without arraignment other than a DWI in 30 minutes and be back on the road
Don't get me started on the new arraignment with counsel requirement
THAT has doubled our time commitment as well, but you lawyers seem to love the extra cash
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The counsel at arraingement thing must be that pilot program, we don't have it as far as I have heard. I doubt anyone wants to show up at the police station at all hours for $ 60an hour
View Quote

I wish we didn't have it.
Some states don't even have arraignments for up to 72 hours after locking someone up
Somehow our county was overjoyed at participating in that program.
Just another way to keep pre-sentenced folks out of jail is how I really think the reasoning went
There are always lawyers happy to be on the call in list now, but those first few months were a nightmare
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you can apply online, which they want, so I assume no new fingerprint cards, they don't want a gazillion new fingerprint cards to sort and don't really need them

bwa ha ha ha.   A lot of upstate missed the boat or were not funded for livescan systems.  The best they can do is paper card them and bring the cards to the jail for scanning in.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Some states don't even have arraignments for up to 72 hours after locking someone up
Just another way to keep pre-sentenced folks out of jail is how I really think the reasoning went
There are always lawyers happy to be on the call in list now, but those first few months were a nightmare
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The counsel at arraingement thing must be that pilot program, we don't have it as far as I have heard. I doubt anyone wants to show up at the police station at all hours for $ 60an hour

Its for only one reason COST. Don't have to feed, cloth, or give them a cot to watch Oprah all day long.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

bwa ha ha ha.   A lot of upstate missed the boat or were not funded for livescan systems.  The best they can do is paper card them and bring the cards to the jail for scanning in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, mainly small village PDs
The day will come when the paper alternative will not be accepted, even if it means the state subsidizes lifescan for small agencies
The current version is not much more than a laptop and a camera, so I see the complete conversion being inevitable

Quoted:

Its for only one reason COST. Don't have to feed, cloth, or give them a cot to watch Oprah all day long.

The politicians don't get it that the social costs are much higher than the incarceration costs
The crook who stays on the street is continuing their criminal behaviors, which means the rest of society continues to be victimized
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

When Ontario switched from paper to plastic I specifically asked if there would be any restrictions placed on my license if I upgraded to the new style.

Clerk's response: "Why would we put restrictions on your license?" followed by her jokingly saying "Well I guess we could make some up if you wanted but I really don't know what they would be".

When she handed me my new plastic license, in addition to the standard "License to carry pistol" wording it also said FULL CARRY on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The OC clerk is really happy every time I've gone there to make an amendment.    My coworker knows her really well, too, she has 3-4 pages of guns on hers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top