Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2015 1:50:04 PM EDT
I'm looking to replace the windows in my house - I live in the Syracuse area.

I have 12 standard size windows and 2 smaller ones (kitchen and bathroom - can get dimensions if it is pertinent). What businesses should I contact for quotes, who should I avoid, and what is a reasonable cost per window?
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I have 12 standard size windows and 2 smaller ones (kitchen and bathroom - can get dimensions if it is pertinent). What businesses should I contact for quotes, who should I avoid, and what is a reasonable cost per window?
View Quote

Honestly dude... check Lowe's.  Not sure about your area but around Buffalo they are usually right there and you can get Pella... great warranty lol
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I will start there. Trying to get them installed as I have no clue what I am doing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will start there. Trying to get them installed as I have no clue what I am doing.
View Quote

Duct tape and gorilla glue
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Window replacement is shocking simple. I bet you can do it.

I showed an attorney I use to work with and he was suprised how easy it was. I'll add he was not very handy but had no issues completeing his house.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Window replacement is shocking simple. I bet you can do it.

I showed an attorney I use to work with and he was suprised how easy it was. I'll add he was not very handy but had no issues completeing his house.
View Quote

I'd agree with this... but depending on the exterior covering of the house? Flashing can get absurdly stupid
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I replaced just about every window and door in my house with Pace.  Solomon Grundy style, because dey be not cheep.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did mine in Oct.  I purchased 7 Anderson Series 70 windows and two Series 50 sliding patio doors with the built in blinds from Home Depot.  Total was $2800 after they matched Lowe's 15% sale on Pella at the time.  I had checked out both brands and the Andersons fit my needs better that the Pella windows.  Also the Pellas were more expensive.  I have a bilevel with vinyl siding.  There was another house on my street with the same crap original windows.  I observed how a window replacement company replaced their windows.  I discussed this with my neighbor who is a contractor.  They just cut out the old window, leaving the fins from the old window, screw in and caulk around the new window.  He suggested that I remove the siding around the windows completely remove the old windows, replace them with new construction windows and seal around the window fins with a vinyl membrane.  I followed his advice and I am very happy with the results.  My house stays warm and there are no more drafts.  Another thing that I did was get my windows with "J" channels to tuck the ends of the siding in.  It is a much cleaner look and the only extra investment was a set of vinyl siding shears from Sears ($30).  If you have Home Depot or Lowes do the installation, the labor cost will be about 118% of the cost of the windows.  For example , the cost of one sliding door was $547 and the cost of installation was $649.  I placed my order on Aug 1st and my quoted delivery date was Aug 27th.  My windows did not come in until Sept 24th.   One thing to consider, if have windows that are not a stock size, regardless of whether they have it in store or it is a special order, it will cost you double to have it made.  Their advice was to get the closest size and make it fit.  I had to reframe the openings for my sliding doors.  Lastly, if you are going to pay to have it done, my contractor neighbor suggests that you steer clear of the window replacement companies.  Most are ripoffs.  Buy your windows at Lowes or Home Depot and have them do the installation.
View Quote

Um.. this pretty much sums it all up as well as I think it could be said
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#9]
So...party at my house this spring?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did mine in Oct.  I purchased 7 Anderson Series 70 windows and two Series 50 sliding patio doors with the built in blinds from Home Depot.  Total was $2800 after they matched Lowe's 15% sale on Pella at the time.  I had checked out both brands and the Andersons fit my needs better that the Pella windows.  Also the Pellas were more expensive.  I have a bilevel with vinyl siding.  There was another house on my street with the same crap original windows.  I observed how a window replacement company replaced their windows.  I discussed this with my neighbor who is a contractor.  They just cut out the old window, leaving the fins from the old window, screw in and caulk around the new window.  He suggested that I remove the siding around the windows completely remove the old windows, replace them with new construction windows and seal around the window fins with a vinyl membrane.  I followed his advice and I am very happy with the results.  My house stays warm and there are no more drafts.  Another thing that I did was get my windows with "J" channels to tuck the ends of the siding in.  It is a much cleaner look and the only extra investment was a set of vinyl siding shears from Sears ($30).  If you have Home Depot or Lowes do the installation, the labor cost will be about 118% of the cost of the windows.  For example , the cost of one sliding door was $547 and the cost of installation was $649.  I placed my order on Aug 1st and my quoted delivery date was Aug 27th.  My windows did not come in until Sept 24th.   One thing to consider, if have windows that are not a stock size, regardless of whether they have it in store or it is a special order, it will cost you double to have it made.  Their advice was to get the closest size and make it fit.  I had to reframe the openings for my sliding doors.  Lastly, if you are going to pay to have it done, my contractor neighbor suggests that you steer clear of the window replacement companies.  Most are ripoffs.  Buy your windows at Lowes or Home Depot and have them do the installation.

+1 same thing i did with mine.

I did just my kids rooms so far and what a difference it makes. I need to save up to the rest of the rooms since the kids want the house

I had to build my openings up from the old windwos since the new windows were smaller, but nothing that hard too.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Personally I avoid big box stores as they tend to not carry what I look for in windows:

- Triple glazed

- Low-E

- Xenon gas fill

The brands I like (Thermotech, Loewen, Orion, etc) are almost never to be found and do not cost much more than the standard lower quality fare at places like Lowes, Depot, etc.  Find yourself a good contractor supply store and you just might be surprised at the quality difference without a price shock.  The only downsides is you do need to do you own work at these shops unless you intend to find someone to do this for you.  Honestly it's usually pretty damn easy to DIY-it.  The only part you want to pay extra attention to is the measurement portion, if you screw up here you bought the wrong batch.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

What siding do you have?
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I have just about got all mine replaced. I went the extra mile and did a complete tear out so I would not lose any of the day light opening. Typical replacement windows just set inside of the original window framing and you lose several inches of DLO, although it is quicker and easier. On the exterior I just cased them with pine to the aluminum siding temporarily as I will be residing in the next year or two with vinyl siding and 1x4 vinyl trim around the windows. I just did a side job over near your neighborhood for one of Miss Buckshots friends, she went with replacement style and I cased them with new flashing and a vinyl cove moulding on the inside. As far as what brand to go with, im not to fond of the big chain stores although I got quotes from several places to show her there wasn't a lot of difference in price between them and your local lumber and hardware retailers. When it comes to warranty, most of them offer a good warranty but very few follow through on making good on it. Best thing to do is go and talk to all of them and ask a lot of questions, you will get a sense of who is selling a good product and who is just selling stuff. If you want to tackle it yourself let me know and I can give you a hand with them.

One thing to consider when it comes to replacement windows in certain rooms, most generally bedrooms, what is the square footage when the window is open. Most building codes require at least four square foot of space when the window is open. Most generally this will not be an issue. It could possibly become an issue, depending on the codes in your area, if you ever go to sell and a potential buyer has a home inspection done and the inspector is a picky sob. The first house I built two of the bedroom windows came in at something like 3.85 square feet but fortunately for me I had a nice building inspector and he had no problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#14]
You buy beer and I'll come over now with my hammer and help with window removal. Putting in replacements am not so sure about. But seriously, will come help when you do it. One of the things I have never done.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You buy beer and I'll come over now with my hammer and help with window removal. Putting in replacements am not so sure about. But seriously, will come help when you do it. One of the things I have never done.
View Quote

Tear out is the best part of the whole job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTMxv-fXNo
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:37:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So...party at my house this spring?
View Quote

If you were in the buffalo area I'd gladly help you out...........I do exterior home remodeling for my "side business"........

And......look at the Andersens.......bang for the buck they are every bit as good if not better then the Pellas and less expensive
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What siding do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What siding do you have?

Vinyl
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#19]
My brother used to work for a contractor who may help us out - I just need one demonstrated for me then the rest will be easy.

And Penrod these are coming out whole so I can make fancy pants deer stands
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My brother used to work for a contractor who may help us out - I just need one demonstrated for me then the rest will be easy.

And Penrod these are coming out whole so I can make fancy pants deer stands
View Quote

Hipster
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very easy to do them yourself. You'll get better quality windows and save on installation. I did mine a few years ago. Replacement windows come in standard sizes to fit existing "old" windows.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#22]
With the siding being vinyl you should be able to do new construction windows. The just nail in and you can get them with the outside trim already on. Take window out and measure your rough opening and get standard size windows as close to that as you can. They have nailers on the outside so just pull back the siding and nail or screw then put your siding back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Having seen a good many of the "installers" at work, there's no reason why someone strong enough to lift it in place couldn't install them.
I lucked out with ours because they had been ordered wrong, and were sold below cost. (We were completely remodeling and had the walls torn out to the studs, so framing & sealing was essentially new construction.)
Shop around, read reviews, the Locals are often as competitive if not more so than the big-box-stores.
If you can tolerate doing it now, there are lots of carpenters/contractors willing to do the work for the price of a truck payment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I may just do it myself with all of the encouragement here. Will scour youtube.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#25]
I can stop by anytime and take a look see. They are all pretty much made to order, take the rough opening size deduct an half inch each way and have them made to that with nail fins added on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you know how to replace them?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Sure do, just did a house over in your neighborhood this past fall for one of miss buckshots friends.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Well if you show me one or two I will give you a massive hand with your garage mancave.

And payment may come in rimfire form.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I like these terms

" />
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Also with the cash I save doing it myself I will buy a Benelli M4 or Glock 40 MOS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#31]
DIY saves a bundle. Built my first house for less than 70k. Did 80% of the labor myself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
DIY saves a bundle. Built my first house for less than 70k. Did 80% of the labor myself.
View Quote

Did you use yourself as the general contractor?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:02:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Found a bank that did construction loans. Not to mention I worked for two different building supply company's at the time. Hired the masonry, heating, septic and well, and drywall finishing by others and did the rest myself. Took about a year and a half to get near completion. Of course this was back in the late 90's, to do it today with the same situation would probably be closer to 100k.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top