http://ccdl.us/blog/
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for flightless bird legal insight
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you see the recent 6th circuit strict scrutiny decision having any effect on the 2nd case?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#5]
"Tractor trailers comprise 2% of all vehicle registrations in the U.S.  I dare you to drive a mile down the interstate and tell me they are not in common use". Paraphrasing the common use argument from our side.

ETA: They did ask about the logic behind the 7 round limit stating "criminals will just load 10 anyway."
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you see the recent 6th circuit strict scrutiny decision having any effect on the 2nd case?
View Quote

Strict scrutiny from the 9th recently also, AND they called out the 2nd on their past decisions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Strict scrutiny from the 9th recently also, AND they called out the 2nd on their past decisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a bit slow tonight.  Is this a good or bad thing?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thing. Strict scrutiny (ALL scrutiny tests are BS BTW) puts the Second on the same footing as the First, Fourth and Fifth. Minimal government restrictions on a civil right.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good thing. Strict scrutiny (ALL scrutiny tests are BS BTW) puts the Second on the same footing as the First, Fourth and Fifth. Minimal government restrictions on a civil right.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good. I'm terrible at deciphering legal mumbo jumbo.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Peruta was gloriously written in pimp-slapping the Stooges in the 2nd, but of course the justices in the 2nd believe they're more better than everyone else and couldn't possibly be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Pretty good update here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Pretty good update here:

David Thompson completely destroyed the testimony offered by Christopher Koper, the key expert witness for both NY and CT. By the end of the arguments, it was clear to the judges that Koper admitted that “There is little evidence that the AW ban will work or that bans of any ‘military features’ will have any effect.” Both lawyers for NY and CT scrambled to answer this apparent contradiction from their key expert witness with no effect. In fact, they were forced to resort to quoting the “Mother Jones” website as the only other ‘expert’ testimony that they could offer!

Makes me
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 2:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It's common sense. Hopefully these judges have some amount of integrity and testicular fortitude.

But we all know I'm young and naive.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would have preferred to know what questions the court asked, that doesn't tell me much.  

I would assume that this Court will do nothing to help gun owners and we can only hope that maybe the Supreme Court takes the case and maybe helps us. I think my opinion is as much shaped by being cynical and discouraged as any legal analysis, so who knows. I have zero past success at predicting what the Supreme Court will do  My fairly useless guess is that if we are lucky the 7/10 ban will remain dead while the case tries to get to the SC, and that the appellate court will either just affirm the lower court ruling, or affirm except reinstateing the 7/10 law. That is such a spectacularly silly law that I wonder if even this court will back it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty good update here:

I would have preferred to know what questions the court asked, that doesn't tell me much.  

I would assume that this Court will do nothing to help gun owners and we can only hope that maybe the Supreme Court takes the case and maybe helps us. I think my opinion is as much shaped by being cynical and discouraged as any legal analysis, so who knows. I have zero past success at predicting what the Supreme Court will do  My fairly useless guess is that if we are lucky the 7/10 ban will remain dead while the case tries to get to the SC, and that the appellate court will either just affirm the lower court ruling, or affirm except reinstateing the 7/10 law. That is such a spectacularly silly law that I wonder if even this court will back it.

CA2 is all messed up with public actually being able to hear the oral arguments. A tape has been requested and will be hosted, IIRC cor Kachalsky it took a few weeks for them to process the request.

Here's the problem that arises with NYSRPA's case: The CA2 painted themselves into a corner with Kachalsky and having firearms within the home and actual ownership being dictated at a "strict scrutiny level" while then using a rational basis interest balancing equation masquerading around as intermediate scrutiny for the actual decision. I have no doubt that the CA2 will magically find fault in some form, then give the government unlimited leeway in "protecting people", followed by the inevitable decision that the ban is A-OK!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't see how that one judge said that seven rounds in arbitrary but ten isn't
Really? if a gun is designed and sold elsewhere with a capacity of anywhere 11-17 rounds but we are stuck with ten, how is that anything BUT an arbitrary limit on what we are allowed to carry
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't see how that one judge said that seven rounds in arbitrary but ten isn't

Really? if a gun is designed and sold elsewhere with a capacity of anywhere 11-17 rounds but we are stuck with ten, how is that anything BUT an arbitrary limit on what we are allowed to carry
View Quote

It's because 10 is a nice round number and 7 is all pointy and crooked...and stuff.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#17]
While we might clamor for the courts to recognize and apply strict scrutiny to 2A cases, "shall not be infringed"  means that scrutiny (a fabricated element anyway) DOES NOT APPLY to 2A.

"Shall not be infringed" means FIND ANOTHER WAY to solve problems involving firearms.

NO scrutiny.  Don't drink the cool-aid because it sounds better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I heard some journalist or law professer talking about gay marriage on NPR last year and thought he had a good point. He said that judges are upper middle class well educated people and that constitutional law is really just the mores of that social group pushed onto everyone else. When those judges see that their friends, neighbors and golf buddies are suddenly  going "meh, gay marriage, maybe it's time has come" than voila, a new constitutional right is "found" where before none existed.

View Quote

Similarly this tends not to be a group that buys AR15s or carries glocks on a daily basis.  even though ar15 s are everywhere now, these guys don't know that and probably still view military rifles as "what do you need THAT for?"

so this all boils down to peer pressure?  we're doomed.  and when i say we're, i mean western civilization.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I heard some journalist or law professer talking about gay marriage on NPR last year and thought he had a good point. He said that judges are upper middle class well educated people and that constitutional law is really just the mores of that social group pushed onto everyone else. When those judges see that their friends, neighbors and golf buddies are suddenly  going "meh, gay marriage, maybe it's time has come" than voila, a new constitutional right is "found" where before none existed.

Similarly this tends not to be a group that buys AR15s or carries glocks on a daily basis.  even though ar15 s are everywhere now, these guys don't know that and probably still view military rifles as "what do you need THAT for?"
View Quote

That's depressing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's depressing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's depressing.

Probably accurate though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While we might clamor for the courts to recognize and apply strict scrutiny to 2A cases, "shall not be infringed"  means that scrutiny (a fabricated element anyway) DOES NOT APPLY to 2A.

"Shall not be infringed" means FIND ANOTHER WAY to solve problems involving firearms.

View Quote

Contextually irrelevant in your statement. We know certain people cannot own arms (Foreign fighters, mentally insane, murderers). However, the common understanding should be "[the legal right to keep, carry, and use firearms for non-adjudicated persons] shall not be infringed".
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eh.

Is it an infringement on your right to bear arms to not allow people to carry a loaded rifle at the low ready into a school or bus station?

You have to have some reasonable level of scrutiny.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Eh.

Is it an infringement on your right to bear arms to not allow people to carry a loaded rifle at the low ready into a school or bus station?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

Accord to the NYSAG's office in Kachalsky, that is exactly what NYS allows.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

How's that?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How's that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

How's that?

Listen to the oral arguements. The NYSAGs office that was defending "may issue" said that the people are not infringed upon because they can openly carry rifles.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Listen to the oral arguements. The NYSAGs office that was defending "may issue" said that the people are not infringed upon because they can openly carry rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

How's that?

lol twisted logic
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

lol twisted logic
View Quote

Also in error. Many counties have ordinances against that.

You could, if you take the Kachalsky decision word for word, beat a tourist to death in Times Square. Since tourists can't be armed in NYS and we "do not arm people in case of imaginary confrontation" (something like that) then your beating them to death where they would have been otherwise able to use lethal force to defend themselves would be likewise imaginary.

Its a fucked up decision that basically took a NYC attitude and threw some legal terms together to make it appear legit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#29]
We could have Atticus Finch, Perry Mason, with My Cousin Vinny and Erin Brokovich preparing the case, and we will still LOSE.

The outcome has been pre-determined.  It's all about power and money.  The two things that have corrupted humans since the dawn of time.

No media on our side, well, then don't expect anything.  

Sorry to piss on your parade.

Now, if we could get blacks, gays and femi-nazis on our side, maybe we would have a fighting chance...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

How's that?

Good God the volume of calls during hunting season is ridiculous, can't imagine the response to open carry in a residential setting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Eh.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh.

We used to.  It was called the noose.

When I was a kid we brought guns into school, on school buses, etc.  

What "no scrutiny" means is if you can't trust somebody to carry a gun into a school or a bus station, then find some other way to deal with it.    In the good old days nutjobs were locked up in the asylum, criminals were in jail (or dead), and if the cops didn't give them a good wacking now and then to remind them the behave the mafia would take care of it.

So if the government did its work of keeping violent criminals in jail (or noosed) and psychos in the ward and inner city hoods under control we wouldn't have so many damned gun laws.   Trying to control the gun is the easy way out, at least on paper- but it clearly doesn't work.   Thus the "find another way" clarity of "shall not infringe"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top