Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2014 7:21:52 AM EDT
NY State:
Are there any LEO’s here that have experience putting an AR15 pistol on record with your department and the state with a “C-Form”?
Do you just treat the AR15 pistol as if it were any other normal pistol?

Once that lower is registered as a pistol, how can you then turn it into a rifle and get it off your shield without selling it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an LEO here but if you mean "register" as in add it to your own personal pistol permit then I am pretty sure it is always viewed as a pistol by the state and cannot be changed to a rifle.  If that isn't what you meant then I'm sorry for wasting your time
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an LEO here but if you mean "register" as in add it to your own personal pistol permit then I am pretty sure it is always viewed as a pistol by the state and cannot be changed to a rifle.  If that isn't what you meant then I'm sorry for wasting your time
View Quote

Yes that's what I meant, thanks.

Can anyone else confirm or add to this?
I did a lot of searching with no luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just fill out a C form and hand it in with the lower SN/make/model on there.

As far as "turning it into a rifle" I'm not sure. You could always sell that lower to an FFL and dispose of it that way and then put another lower on it as a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just fill out a C form and hand it in with the lower SN/make/model on there.

As far as "turning it into a rifle" I'm not sure. You could always sell that lower to an FFL and dispose of it that way and then put another lower on it as a rifle.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I have (3) AR pistols that I C Formed. Fill out the C form exactly as normal. If you want to turn it into a rifle, do just that, but remember that it is still a pistol on paper. I don't know how you can un-pistol a gun on paper in NYS. They're fun as hell, especially with a Sig brace..
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
? did un-SAFEact throw out the 50oz thing?  
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
What I want to know is where this magical all crushing 50oz thing came from that even when it's not semi-auto, has a fixed mag, you're a LEO; oh no, you better not be over 50oz! It's like its an evil feature that's applied even when all the other features are exempted. I've seen it on many boards and in person. No idea where it got started.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What I want to know is where this magical all crushing 50oz thing came from that even when it's not semi-auto, has a fixed mag, you're a LEO; oh no, you better not be over 50oz! It's like its an evil feature that's applied even when all the other features are exempted. I've seen it on many boards and in person. No idea where it got started.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm not sure what you're asking, but thats written into NY's AWB..

Quoted:
? did un-SAFEact throw out the 50oz thing?  

Active LEO's are exempt from all NYS firearms laws as per penal code 265.20. They just have to abide by federal law, and register pistols. Thats it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ignorance and stupidity. If the gun is not semi-auto or if it is, but has a fixed mag, no other rules apply. 50 oz limit is only for a SEMI-AUTO with a DETACHABLE magazine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ignorance and stupidity. If the gun is not semi-auto or if it is, but has a fixed mag, no other rules apply. 50 oz limit is only for a SEMI-AUTO with a DETACHABLE magazine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(Semi-auto+detachable mag) Isn't that what we were talking about?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
(Semi-auto+detachable mag) Isn't that what we were talking about?
View Quote

Yes, but it doesn't apply here because he is specifically asking about gun ownership by Law Enforcement. For non LE in NYS you are correct in regards to 50 oz rule and semi-auto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top