Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 12:26:26 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with Long Island Shooting Center, more specifically with respect to firearm sales?  http://www.lisc.net/index.htm

While their "inventory" states it is current as of today, it appears to be a copy of the various manufacturers complete catalogs; something just doesn't look quite right about their website.

But I could be, and hopefully am, wrong.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Very unpleasant experiences at that place. I recommend researching about LISC on www.longislandfirearms.com
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Most people online seem to dislike the place.

All of my own experiences there have been good. Once I was looking for a specific handgun and they really went out of their way to find me the one I wanted. Last time I was there was maybe 3 years ago while visiting family. Not sure I'd trust their website for current pricing and availability though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Every few years I would say "What the heck , I'll give them another try." And every time I'd kick myself for wasting my time yet again.

Was a nice place forever under both previous owners. Now it's a turd sandwich with an expensive price tag and a surly waiter.

(I don't know if the website is up to date, it never was in the past.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Never really had a issue,minor crap,ball busting mostly.
Their online catalog is 10-15yrs old and never updated.
Good luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Went in once. Decided they were scumbags. Left.

Gave them another shot a few years later.

Decided I had been right the first time.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:21:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every few years I would say "What the heck , I'll give them another try." And every time I'd kick myself for wasting my time yet again.

Was a nice place forever under both previous owners. Now it's a turd sandwich with an expensive price tag and a surly waiter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Never really had a issue,minor crap,ball busting mostly.
Their online catalog is 10-15yrs old and never updated.
Good luck

This is what raised my concerns.

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Do yourself a favor and don't bother with them. There are dozens of other shops on LI that you can deal with
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Went in once. Decided they were scumbags. Left.

Gave them another shot a few years later.

Decided I had been right the first time.

View Quote

Short answer: this.

I've used Campsite in Huntington (my go to fun store), South Shore Sportsman (Merrick), and Suffolk Sportsman (Smithtown).  Very good experiences at all three, especially Campsite.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I was recently very pleased with my first experience at South Shore Sportsman on Landsdowne Ave. in Merrick.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was recently very pleased with my first experience at South Shore Sportsman on Landsdowne Ave. in Merrick.
View Quote

Just go there and be done. Will save you allot of time. My most recent purchase the salesman spent 2 hours with me going over the different types of 1911s. Can't say enough about that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You can have a great time at LISC as long as you minimize your interaction with the staff.

1) Show up.
2) Bring all your own equipment and ammo - don't bother asking to rent anything.
3) Shoot safely / sensibly - they will eyeball the fvck out of you through the big window.
4) Sweep up your brass.
5) Leave.

I over heard some ball breaking but was never personally mistreated.  You seem to get more respect if you show up with your shit in order.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#13]
You should never need to minimize your interaction with the staff of any place of business.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Never a good experience there either.  Haven't stopped by in a while, but apparently, nothings changed.  Range blows as well, shit lighting and even shittier ventilation.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Range blows as well, shit lighting and even shittier ventilation.
View Quote

I always thought that made for more realistic home defense practice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Range blows as well, shit lighting and even shittier ventilation.

Good point, you're right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:14:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The guys there are nice enough if you chat with them a bit and you don't do anything stupid. because they rent guns without training, the stupid comes out often. If you shoot shotgun, they'll require you use their ammo at 1-2 bucks a round. They also don't allow bullets that attract a magnet. All in all, it's good enough for an indoor range in Suffolk, but yeah, the ventilation is the real issue with this range. At times it feels like theres none at all and you're breathing everything your gun puts out. I'd definitely shoot there more often if it were better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The guys there are nice enough if you chat with them a bit and you don't do anything stupid. because they rent guns without training, the stupid comes out often. If you shoot shotgun, they'll require you use their ammo at 1-2 bucks a round. They also don't allow bullets that attract a magnet. All in all, it's good enough for an indoor range in Suffolk, but yeah, the ventilation is the real issue with this range. At times it feels like theres none at all and you're breathing everything your gun puts out. I'd definitely shoot there more often if it were better.
View Quote

ahh... that reminds me...

I had the hardest time trying to explain to the guy behind the counter that my shitty Brown Bear 7.62mm ammo was not AP despite failing the magnet test.  He wouldn't budge.

So yah.  Don't bother bringing steel jacketed ammo either.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#19]
The place sucks, so does the staff. Save yourself the trouble and shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do yourself a favor and don't bother with them. There are dozens of other shops on LI that you can deal with
View Quote

This.

LISC is the worst place I've dealt with. They deserve the terrible reputation they have.
Is the FFL scam where they pocket a mag from a new pistol common?  

High gun prices, $60 per gun FFL transfer fee+tax as well as collecting sales tax on the guns themselves (paid in cash only).
The rude, unprofessional I don’t know and don’t care attitude from them is just the icing on the cake.

For long gun transfers I used Volko Supply in Garden City Park. 1-800-685-8263
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Aren't they retired MOS?
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I went to Long Island Shooting Center, didn't like it :/ The vibe was off and the people seemed abit too uptight, coulda been the day though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I went to Long Island Shooting Center, didn't like it :/ The vibe was off and the people seemed abit too uptight, coulda been the day though.
View Quote

That could have been any day...
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#24]
So I've seen Volko mentioned a few times, but their website makes no mention of anything gun related, just air conditioning etc. Are they a gun store at all? I've heard that they do mail order ammo stuff too. Is there an online web site thing that tells what they'll deal with?  Thanks.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I've seen Volko mentioned a few times, but their website makes no mention of anything gun related, just air conditioning etc. Are they a gun store at all? I've heard that they do mail order ammo stuff too. Is there an online web site thing that tells what they'll deal with?  Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a gun store. The owner Ron has an FFL and does transfers for long guns (no handguns). I'm not sure about ammo, I escaped NY before the SAFE act BS went into effect.

Ron and his son are friendly and a pleasure to deal with, unlike some LGS on the Island.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny,I think one of the owners from Volko used to shoot at LISC on LIF unofficial Thursday night meet ups.Nice guy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top