Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:00:11 PM EDT
I live right by Oneida Lake and want to take up ice fishing this year.

It seems like it is rather gear intensive - does anyone fish the lake that would take me with them for a day or two?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#1]
be a man and take up steelhead fishing instead
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I did it long ago.

It's only as gear intensive as you want it to be.

Chop a hole in ice, drop line through.  Simple, cheap.

Add at your convenience:
hole borer
tip ups or ice poles
more holes...lots more
ice strainer
toe warmers

Then, like anything else, comes the comfort:
serious cold weather gear, particularly boots
heated this and that
sled
shelter

Finally, in a couple years you own a small mobile home, ATV or snow machine to tow it, bigger truck to haul everything, heater and stove and propane, TV and generator

Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Weren't you just whining about shoveling snow mr. Manly man?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup, fuck shoveling snow, it sucks.    

but I'm still outside hunting and fishing when the weather sucks and you can't feel your toes.  

out of all the fishing I've done, and honestly i love pretty much all of it, I have never been ice fishing, it just doesn't interest me at all.   I would certainly do it if my buddies or the arfcom crew wanted to go do it, not I have no interest to go out on my own and try it and I'm not sure why.    I'm not knocking it in the least, time spent fishing is never wasted in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I want to go fishing this weekend
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got a new 5KW Generator.  

I've got to replace the carburetor on the Airboat: (fucking alcohol fuel )  then we can go play on the ice.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Did some ice fishing a few years back on Highland lake up in Sullivan.  Just about the coldest I've ever been in my life - but one of the best times fishing too.  Went with an uncle, who used tip-ups in about 10 holes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've got to replace the carburetor on the Airboat: (fucking alcohol fuel )  then we can go play on the ice.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have an airboat? Ohhhh hell yeah. I'll bring the Santa costume and potato launcher.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You have an airboat? Ohhhh hell yeah. I'll bring the Santa costume and potato launcher.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's ice fishing.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Do it. Ice fishing is fun. Like Abom said, it's only gear intensive as you make it. Start with a hand auger, a few tip-ups or jigging rod. A small sled to drag the stuff out onto the ice. bait bucket, strainer. Do it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Few years ago I posed the question of having a "long range" shoot across the ice.....Onondaga lake is long & wide, beside just how far do you really thing a .50BMG will travel?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
towards Destiny USA?  Do it when I'm not working...    
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
towards Destiny USA?  Do it when I'm not working...    
View Quote

I think I meant Oneida Lake....miles and miles of wide open space.

Of course there's always my neck of the woods: Henderson Harbor/Association Island.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Should you choose to get into ice fishing the first thing I would recommend buying is good clothes. Everything is fun until you get cold. So either clothes or a decent portable shanty. Its amazing how much just getting out of the wind makes a difference. Keep in mind this can be just as bad as guns if you let it. So far I'm at 2 protables, 2 heaters, a hand and a power augur, a clam ice suit, probably $600 or 700 in poles, jigs/lures and other gear. So easily $1500 worth of gear for something I can do 2 or 3 months a year.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
It doesn't have to be gear intensive, especially if you run and gun.

Me and dad will go out with just two poles each, a bucket, our hole cleaning scooper and some jigs. Start drilling holes and jig for 10-20 minutes, then move. If you hit a school get all you can and then try to beat them to the next hole.

It's pretty fun, and once you catch the first one you use the eyes on the end of the jig for bait.

Some guys like to just sit in the heated shack all day and wait, that's fine too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Put rod holders on it FP and we got a deal.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:40:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to live in Cicero - right ON the lake.  It was waaaaay easier just to go to Borios and buy fried perch sandwiches for a
buck rather than go freeze your ass off sitting in a shanty with a bunch of tip ups shivering till your nutz are all the way inside of you.  
That lake used to get nuts. Planes landing on it, sled drag races and 100's upon 100's of sleds bar hopping.

While I used to chop ice out of the way on the Salmon River to catch steel all winter (and freeze) the thought of a 2' rod and twitching
a crappie jig on the lake seemed rediculous.  But, to each his own.  I've seen kids do it with just a snow suit, a hatchet and a tip up all
the way to fully rigged tow behind sled mini-homes with heaters.  It's as simple or complicated as you want to make it.  Most hard core
guys use drop down cameras, depth meters and gas powered augers.  Alot like the difference of a kid with a zebco 202 and some minnows
compared to how Ciraxis looks while chasing Kings during salmon time with his flyrod......

ETA: Just reread you post and realized I contributed nothing to your question (as usual of me...)  Dont live on the lake anymore and dont know of anyone that ice fishes.  It's hard enough getting a bunch of ARFCOMMERS to hook up during salmon season
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Crash is spot on.  

You can go as simple or get as carried away as you want.  As far as clothing goes, you can use what you got if you pick your days.   A good carhart coat or other parka and some long johns and real winter boots and you should be good.  As far as boots, you're standing on a block of ice, pack boots with the felt liners or air like the mickey mouse boots are key for long term standing on ice.  A couple pair of gloves as one or both pair will get wet.

I started out with a cut down pole made from a broken pole and a bucket and tagging along.  Now I'm fully outfitted; 5 tip ups, about 4 or 5 rods in various weights for perch and walleye, pop up shanty sled, vexilar fish finder (they can shoot through clear ice), skimmer, lots of jig heads especially the micro sized ones for perch and crappie.  A small coleman tent heater.  Picked up a 2nd power auger and sold my first one.  It adds up.  I would say I have about a $1000 into ice fishing crap at this point with the big ticket items being the shanty and the power auger.  

One small tip I will toss out to you based on my mistake.  If you buy your own hand auger, get a smaller diameter one.  Why you may ask.  Cutting small holes is much much faster for when you want to be mobile keeping up with schools.  If you buy a 8-10 inch hand auger, you will anchor your ass after drilling those holes.  A 4 or 5 inch hand auger is just right for panfish.  If you need an 8 or 10 inch hole team up with someone with a power auger.   Even when/if you really get into ice fishing and want your power auger the smaller hand auger is still nice for the days when the ice isn't all that thick.  Carrying a power auger for holes when it's only 6" of ice is overkill.   A light setup just works on those days, a sled, a bucket, a hand auger, and your rods and you're pretty much set.  (food too)

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did it long ago.

It's only as gear intensive as you want it to be.

Chop a hole in ice, drop line through.  Simple, cheap.

Add at your convenience:
hole borer
tip ups or ice poles
more holes...lots more
ice strainer
toe warmers

Then, like anything else, comes the comfort:
serious cold weather gear, particularly boots
heated this and that
sled
shelter

Finally, in a couple years you own a small mobile home, ATV or snow machine to tow it, bigger truck to haul everything, heater and stove and propane, TV and generator
View Quote

I saw that movie already. Grumpy Old men
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
If anyone wants to go near Oneonta, I usually hit Goodyear Lake for Walleye and Otsego Lake for browns, salmon and lakers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
So how do I pick a spot and what do I use for bait?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most people target perch, so any body of water that holds them is a spot to try. You can buy little minnows called shiners that work well on the larger ones, I like using eyes. Once you catch your first fish just scoop one eye out with the jig hook and bait it. I really like the glow in the dark mouse jigs too, I have the best luck with those.

Catching pickerel through the ice is pretty crazy too, most people waste them though, they are good eating.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

You look for everybody else and go there.

And do yourself a favor.  Get ice picks to pull your ass out of the water  http://www.cabelas.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Deluxe-Polar-Ice-Picks/1545326.uts?productVariantId=1291818&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=38-13899019-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02483617&rid=20

Can't happen to you?  Ice too thick?  I've come close to losing three friends on two occasions who have years on the ice who thought it was too thick to go through.

Meanwhile FP, screw your noisy boat,  I'm going to look at an iceboat this weekend.  Nothing like doing 50mph with your rear 3" above the ice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Meanwhile FP, screw your noisy boat,  I'm going to look at an iceboat this weekend.  Nothing like doing 50mph with your rear 3" above the ice.
View Quote

If you need/want advise on it, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.  
A.nytime
I.t
R.uns
B.reak
O.ut
A.nother
T.housand
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:23:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm going to be up north a lot more next year doing overnights.  We will have to get together
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm going to be up north a lot more next year doing overnights.  We will have to get together
View Quote

My friends are always welcome.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sidenote Highspeed, I was driving through Syracuse last weekend and saw a toyota mini-van with a huge Safe Act sign plastered in the side window. Is that you?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sidenote Highspeed, I was driving through Syracuse last weekend and saw a toyota mini-van with a huge Safe Act sign plastered in the side window. Is that you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I drive a Tacoma with a giant BFL.

If I ever drive a minivan....
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Actually got out on some ice yesterday. Took the day off and went after some smelt. I ended up with 84 and my brother had 75. Not a great day but is was good to get out for the first time. I had probably 6 or 7 inches of good ice where I was. On a side note if any of you are going out early please be careful. I would say from yesterday morning to when I came off the ice about an inch was lost due to the rain and warm temps. Not a big deal where I was but on less ice someone could have ended up wet if they weren't paying attention.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Actually got out on some ice yesterday. Took the day off and went after some smelt. I ended up with 84 and my brother had 75. Not a great day but is was good to get out for the first time. I had probably 6 or 7 inches of good ice where I was. On a side note if any of you are going out early please be careful. I would say from yesterday morning to when I came off the ice about an inch was lost due to the rain and warm temps. Not a big deal where I was but on less ice someone could have ended up wet if they weren't paying attention.
View Quote

Wow. I can't even think about going out around here yet. This rain is killing the ice we do have.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to wait til I see half tons on the ice. Then I will walk out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Buckshot we need to do this.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I have been wanting to do this for some time.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#36]
I got an ice fishing sled and a pop up blind/shanty for Christmas.

As soon as the ice is big man approved we will go.

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#37]

They let that lake trout go.  

I'd be eating that fish for a week!
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Pretty sure the one I caught was thrice the size
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As soon as the ice is big man approved we will go.

View Quote

It never gets that thick.  
What's the adage about "perception versus reality"
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#40]
6 inch minimum
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
6 inch minimum
View Quote

I came here in February of '87 from the deep South.....we went over to Remington Pond to hang out at the Park, decided to walk out on the ice; it was comical watching a bunch of us "test" the ice because we weren't sure if it would hold us and we'd fall in and drown.....it was at least a foot thick where we were.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I came here in February of '87 from the deep South.....we went over to Remington Pond to hang out at the Park, decided to walk out on the ice; it was comical watching a bunch of us "test" the ice because we weren't sure if it would hold us and we'd fall in and drown.....it was at least a foot thick where we were.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
6 inch minimum

Hey I grew up here I am still quite cautious on the ice;  as a kid I used to ice skate on the Normanskill creek in Albany with delusions of travelling like the freaky Dutch in the winter.  Pro tip-  Ice over moving water with riffles and runs is NOT your friend as ice thickness varies greatly.  Pro tip 2- same thing goes on standing water like ponds and lakes as they have sneaky little bastard thin spots over springs.  

A degree of caution isn't a bad thing.  The January swimming program sucks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Pro tip: skip buying dedicated ice fishing poles by using the top half of your 6ft poles. Duct tape your reel to the pole. BAM cheep-o ice fishing pole. Switch out to 4lb fluorocarbon.
Steal one of your wives long handled spoons w/ holes to use as your ice scoop.
Its nice to have an auger to cut your own holes BUT if your going on the cheap. When I first started out I was using a 6ft steel pipe to bang out old holes. For this to work the holes can't be too frozen over. a few inches is about all you will be able to chip though. I've met a lot of people on the ice that are willing to cut holes for me after they have witnessed my "hulk smash" technique. IMO drilling holes is the fun part.
Grab two 5 gal pails to put all your crap in, sit on and carry back your fish.

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pro tip: skip buying dedicated ice fishing poles by using the top half of your 6ft poles. Duct tape your reel to the pole. BAM cheep-o ice fishing pole. Switch out to 4lb fluorocarbon.
Steal one of your wives long handled spoons w/ holes to use as your ice scoop.
Its nice to have an auger to cut your own holes BUT if your going on the cheap. When I first started out I was using a 6ft steel pipe to bang out old holes. For this to work the holes can't be too frozen over. a few inches is about all you will be able to chip though. I've met a lot of people on the ice that are willing to cut holes for me after they have witnessed my "hulk smash" technique. IMO drilling holes is the fun part.
Grab two 5 gal pails to put all your crap in, sit on and carry back your fish.

View Quote

Oh yea, I could just see me on the bottom on the Lake still holding onto the hammer-pipe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top