Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2014 12:46:07 PM EDT
Hello all, I am new to the site and I did a search before I posted this topic. Nothing came up linking NYC and AR-15. My guess is because its already a obvious answer that I have been told before but keep getting mixed reviews. So I would like to see what people have to say about this, those in NYC and out.

The new AR-15 is now NYS compliant due to no pistol grip and other "evil" parts that people cry over. Although can that make it also NYC legal? I know of people who have semi-autos that are wood stocks with no beyonet lugs or flash suppressors. The barrels are smooth with no ability to modify it as to make it illegal to state law, so technically without the railings and crazy front grips and what not, wouldn't the new design of the AR-15 be NYC legal? 5 round original/modified mag obviously.

Any help would be awesome, if the answer is no that's fine. I would like to hear your opinions and maybe start saying to the city "name isn't everything" because a Mini14 with a wood stock is legal in NYC and that is semi-automatic firing the same round. As well as an M1 Carbine with no lug, but different round. So what makes the AR-15 "banned", if it is, from the city? The name, the design, or something else?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I *think* semi-auto rifles are illegal in NYC.  Check the hometown forum, though.

I'm wrong, still looking for the actual laws.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I can guarantee, that there are legal semi-autos that are active in NYC. They just need to follow certain rules which are the 5 round capacity and no beyonet lug. After that the law is stretched
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well...it is complicated...the "AR-15" rifle is banned in NYC...however, nobody really owns an "AR-15" made by ArmaLite...we own Bushmaster XM-15s or Colt Match Targets, etc etc...So technically we SHOULD be able to own one of those rifles, as they are not legally an "AR-15."

But - the idiots at the NYPD rifle shotgun section don't care about laws...they like to make it up as they go...and even though someone owns a non-pistol gripped, non-evil XM-15 or whatever...they still call it an "AR-15" - which is technically not correct.

NYC law bans AR-15s, not any other variant type...but like I said, I've tried this, and they don't care...even if you remove the pistol grip and all features...

Hell now they are saying the Ares SCR is an assault weapon, even though it is NOT banned by name, and it has NO evil features.

I do own several M1 carbines in NYC, and other "non-evil" semi autos...but any type of evil black rifle, or military-ish gun is not gonna be registered.

And in NYC, if a gun is semi auto, it can't have ANY evil features...no pistol grip, no adjustable stock, no bayo lug, no flash hider, no nothing...PLUS you have to show proof you bought a 5 round or less magazine (as if that proves you don't own a +5 magazine...but the NYPD are morons).
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, I say this with the utmost respect, but youre better off researching the laws of your area on your own or with an attorney.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#6]
That is exactly the response I get from almost everyone. I keep asking people and some say they own Bushmasters and other variant types of the original AR-15, but can't you just take that whole system  and improvise it in a wood stock? How it would work I have no idea, but that would silence them because its technically a version of the mini14. I mean hell its the same damn thing as the current crappy "rifle" grip they have on now. It just would be a custom build.

We are talking about the people on Queens Blvd, correct? Some of them actually give genuine information, but when they don't know something (which is many times) they ask to leave your information and don't respond.

I can't even own a damn Enfield without destroying it, which is nuts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is exactly the response I get from almost everyone. I keep asking people and some say they own Bushmasters and other variant types of the original AR-15, but can't you just take that whole system  and improvise it in a wood stock? How it would work I have no idea, but that would silence them because its technically a version of the mini14. I mean hell its the same damn thing as the current crappy "rifle" grip they have on now. It just would be a custom build.

We are talking about the people on Queens Blvd, correct? Some of them actually give genuine information, but when they don't know something (which is many times) they ask to leave your information and don't respond.

I can't even own a damn Enfield without destroying it, which is nuts.
View Quote

Yes, we are talking about the not-so-bright NYPD people at Kew Gardens / Queen's Blvd...

I guarantee nobody in NYC legally owns ANY kind of AR variant...bushmaster, LMT, RRA, nothing...Just putting a wood stock on an AR variant would not work...

NYC calls ALL of them AR-15s...and they don't allow them to be registered. The NYPD is wrong, legally, but they don't care.

And yes, even bolt action / pump action guns have a max capacity of 5 rounds in NYC...

NYC's laws essentially ban 95% of long guns suitable for self defense...yet there is no lawsuit...
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there nothing we, as citizens, can do? No way to bring this up to any type of democratic conversation with the politicians, other than town meetings which lead nowhere? I live in Queens, but I am literally on the boarder and with a 5 min drive 30 min walk, and I am in Nassau County. I can understand these laws being implemented for condensed populations like Manhattan, but Queens, BK, Bronx, and Staten Island are all suburbia. These laws, up to a certain point for self defense reasons, should be exercised in the City, literally Manhattan. When the world talks about NYC they mean Manhattan, not the other boroughs.

To get a concealed pistol carry one of the damn rules is, you must have a restraining order on someone. So therefor something must happen to you before you can protect yourself, make sense? I don't think so. There is a whole other conversation about that, but sticking on "AR-15"s, there must something we can do.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there nothing we, as citizens, can do? No way to bring this up to any type of democratic conversation with the politicians, other than town meetings which lead nowhere? I live in Queens, but I am literally on the boarder and with a 5 min drive 30 min walk, and I am in Nassau County. I can understand these laws being implemented for condensed populations like Manhattan, but Queens, BK, Bronx, and Staten Island are all suburbia. These laws, up to a certain point for self defense reasons, should be exercised in the City, literally Manhattan. When the world talks about NYC they mean Manhattan, not the other boroughs.

To get a concealed pistol carry one of the damn rules is, you must have a restraining order on someone. So therefor something must happen to you before you can protect yourself, make sense? I don't think so. There is a whole other conversation about that, but sticking on "AR-15"s, there must something we can do.
View Quote

Uhhh...why the hell should Manhattan and other "condensed" population areas have stricter gun laws??? Should those people not have the same rights as others?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
In my opinion they should, my last statement was purely to be in a compromise to those who will cry over a simple thing as a flash suppressor or a style of a grip. We live in a capitalistic world where if we have the money we can get it, so everyone should be allowed the same thing. Hope that clears things up
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Understood...but we've been compromising with gun grabbers for decades...and those compromises are why we have the laws we have in NYC...and they will only keep getting worse if we keep compromising.

And I would love to bring a lawsuit against NYC...but the NYSRPA / NRA have their hands full with the uNSAFE act...for now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]
All these laws we have are compromises? How so? 95% being banned isn't exactly a compromise. No bayonet lugs, mag/clip capacity, and (maybe) grip styles are but what rifles/shotguns we can own?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All these laws we have are compromises? How so? 95% being banned isn't exactly a compromise. No bayonet lugs, mag/clip capacity, and (maybe) grip styles are but what rifles/shotguns we can own?
View Quote

Yeah that was my point...the liberal politicians call these gun laws "compromises" and "common sense" - but every time they pass one of these so called "compromises" we get screwed...and they pass new laws every few years...and they keep calling them "compromises."

It is bullshit.

FULL size:
http://i.imgur.com/oQjE6M6.png

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#14]
That, was amazing and I am stealing that comic. You have now led me to say/think, "screw compromising, I want what I can buy".
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That, was amazing and I am stealing that comic. You have now led me to say/think, "screw compromising, I want what I can buy".
View Quote

Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you thank you.

I knew most of what the comic was saying, but my mistake was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt (which wast he mistake given in every compromise) to common sense. They have none, which is insane and this unSAFEACT is also nuts. What do you think of the background checks though? Personally i don't mind that, that i think is a logical compromise on all sides.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thank you thank you.

I knew most of what the comic was saying, but my mistake was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt (which wast he mistake given in every compromise) to common sense. They have none, which is insane and this unSAFEACT is also nuts. What do you think of the background checks though? Personally i don't mind that, that i think is a logical compromise on all sides.
View Quote

Well it's tough...the background check system is so messed up and inefficient, like all government run operations, that most of the time, the wrong people get denied because their name is too close to some felons name...or their social security number is one digit away from some felon's number.

Also, there is the idea that if someone is out walking around free, they don't pose a danger to society, so they should be able to buy a gun legally. If they are ex-convicts, and are released, why can't they buy a gun? If they aren't believed to be rehabilitated, or if they are still believed to be too dangerous to own a gun, then they shouldn't have been released from prison in the first place.

So what does a background check really accomplish?

Not to mention, criminals can and do buy guns on the black market very very easily anyway...so why spend billions on inefficient and incorrect background check systems, and force law abiding people to undergo background checks like a criminal? Are we guilty until proven innocent? And what about someone who is a criminal or murderer, but hasn't been convicted or caught? They will pass an NICS check easily...so again what is the point?

And who is to stop the government from adding YOU to the DENIED list just because you have an interest in guns? Or just because you protested against Cuomo? Or because you stole a candy bar when you were 10 years old?

Make no mistake, the government WILL keep adding more and more "crimes" to the DENIED list, and soon nobody will be able to buy a gun. "Sorry, says here you got a speeding ticket 8 years ago...so you can't buy a gun!"

In NYC, it is already the law that if you have too many speeding tickets (more than 2 in the past few years), then you can not get a pistol permit. Or if you don't have a job, you are denied. Or if you have tax problems. Those are all CURRENTLY reasons that the NYPD denies people for pistols. Fact. How is that right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree it is a system which is flawed, 100% but we have to come to some sort of conclusion. Both options of having and not having has its negatives, if we are going to have a background check it has to be limited to what is considered a license restricting conflict for obtaining a permit. People have to start becoming more civil when it comes to politicians and civilians. There must be a middle ground because both are extremes and extremes lead to more problems. Right now we are trying to not reach that ultimate extreme of total ban, which helps no one at all. But we cannot deny the fact that if we have no background checks it is more likely for a nutjob, legal civilian and legal purchase and non criminal, can get a gun no problem. Sure the criminals will get the guns but not legally. Background checks should be more for mental stability, but then where will the line be drawn at who and what is mentally stable.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Understood...but we've been compromising with gun grabbers for decades...and those compromises are why we have the laws we have in NYC...and they will only keep getting worse if we keep compromising.

And I would love to bring a lawsuit against NYC...but the NYSRPA / NRA have their hands full with the uNSAFE act...for now.
View Quote

First here:
http://nysrpa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=999&Itemid=214
and then here:
https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Simple/Donor.asp?ievent=1033969&en=7gIDIOOrH6IMLYOuH5IJLUPELhKGKSMyFiKUI4MLLqK3G
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I agree it is a system which is flawed, 100% but we have to come to some sort of conclusion. Both options of having and not having has its negatives, if we are going to have a background check it has to be limited to what is considered a license restricting conflict for obtaining a permit. People have to start becoming more civil when it comes to politicians and civilians. There must be a middle ground because both are extremes and extremes lead to more problems. Right now we are trying to not reach that ultimate extreme of total ban, which helps no one at all. But we cannot deny the fact that if we have no background checks it is more likely for a nutjob, legal civilian and legal purchase and non criminal, can get a gun no problem. Sure the criminals will get the guns but not legally. Background checks should be more for mental stability, but then where will the line be drawn at who and what is mentally stable.
View Quote

Even IF background checks stopped nut jobs from getting guns (they don't, ever)...but even IF they did...then nut jobs would just resort to homemade bombs (like in Boston)...or drive a car 100mph into a park or down times square...or they would use a gallon of gas and a match.

The point is...why the harping on GUNS? There are thousands of weapons that are just as deadly...bats, hammers, gasoline, cars, knives, poison etc.

Stopping criminals from getting guns will NOT lower the murder rate.

So what is the point???
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First here:
http://nysrpa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=999&Itemid=214
and then here:
https://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Simple/Donor.asp?ievent=1033969&en=7gIDIOOrH6IMLYOuH5IJLUPELhKGKSMyFiKUI4MLLqK3G

Quick question for ya, does the State Law trump City Law? Or do i have it the other way around?

"Even IF background checks stopped nut jobs from getting guns (they don't, ever)...but even IF they did...then nut jobs would just resort to homemade bombs (like in Boston)...or drive a car 100mph into a park or down times square...or they would use a gallon of gas and a match.

The point is...why the harping on GUNS? There are thousands of weapons that are just as deadly...bats, hammers, gasoline, cars, knives, poison etc.

Stopping criminals from getting guns will NOT lower the murder rate.

So what is the point???"

You sound like me dude, thats the same argument I give many many times. I am just being 50/50 with this so both sides may win, in the end just ban spoons because it makes people get fat from eating too much icecream
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok, I'll see your point and add one:
"Illegal" Drugs are illegal, yet I'll just bet you can walk right outside and buy damn near whatever you want so long as you've got the cash....right?
Don't need no back ground check, but try to buy a box of sudafed for a sinus headach and you'll have to present identification and be limited to X boxes.
Prior restraint is a tool of tyrants that's only effective on those who would obey the Law (un-just as it may be).
As for NYC: having been there, I can see where/why the leaders don't want anyone to have anything that could protect themselves from either other citizens or authority figures.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I see your point as well, but then you can say they limit it in order to prevent curious teens from "experimenting" but then if they do that its the parents fault for not parenting. There is always a negative to something, I don't agree on limits of what people can buy from what we concluded that anything can be used as a weapon. 300 years ago we were all carrying swords to protect ourselves and were worried when we saw a bow because of its "long range". Same process of thinking here. The only way to move forward though is through democratic means, and i mean that purely from the original way, by talking it out in a civil manner.

Plus the NYBULL ACT was passed during the night when noone could oppose it and in secret, sounds like something out of the newer Dukes of Hazzard movie. Where the Dukes when we need them?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#24]
So what about the Ares SCR or hat ever it's called. No AR15 lower in any form.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So what about the Ares SCR or hat ever it's called. No AR15 lower in any form.
View Quote

I'd have to find out about that, seems like a AR-15 look alike but in a synthetic mini14 version. Seems like it would be ok, but this NYC and anything is possible to be banned.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Hello all, I am new to the site and I did a search before I posted this topic. Nothing came up linking NYC and AR-15. My guess is because its already a obvious answer that I have been told before but keep getting mixed reviews. So I would like to see what people have to say about this, those in NYC and out.

The new AR-15 is now NYS compliant due to no pistol grip and other "evil" parts that people cry over. Although can that make it also NYC legal? I know of people who have semi-autos that are wood stocks with no beyonet lugs or flash suppressors. The barrels are smooth with no ability to modify it as to make it illegal to state law, so technically without the railings and crazy front grips and what not, wouldn't the new design of the AR-15 be NYC legal? 5 round original/modified mag obviously.

Any help would be awesome, if the answer is no that's fine. I would like to hear your opinions and maybe start saying to the city "name isn't everything" because a Mini14 with a wood stock is legal in NYC and that is semi-automatic firing the same round. As well as an M1 Carbine with no lug, but different round. So what makes the AR-15 "banned", if it is, from the city? The name, the design, or something else?
View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KMZpzNZQo       Pump Action AR-15
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
http://troydefense.com/troy-sporting-rifle/
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:08:43 PM EDT
[#28]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE4FigimH9g
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
My next research is moving out of NYS. But right now can't due to work, family and some debt. Get out if you can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#30]
All those you have posted are not legal at all in NYC. Pistol grip is already a negative.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All those you have posted are not legal at all in NYC. Pistol grip is already a negative.
View Quote

Ares SCR has no pistol grip and no provision to take one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I was told The Ruger PC9 would not be allowed because the "P" stood for "Police".... it had no banned features as long as blocked magazines were used. the woman at the rifle/shotgun division was adamant that she wouldn't sign off on it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ARES SCR i am not sure about, i mentioned that in a previous comment. I have to check it out at the rifle/shotgun section
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

The death of a 1000 cuts. They nibble and nibble until you're down to single shot smoothbores that must be stored at a gun club and you can only have 50 rounds per year.
Or they ban you being able to keep any center fire firearm at all.
On and on, and they'll label each one a reasonable law and will paint you as being evil for opposing its passage
The only thing that will save NYC at this point will be an alien attack, a lethal plague or the onset of zombie hoardes
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's not true.

Pistol grips, flash hiders, tele stocks, bayonet lugs etc. are ONLY illegal if the gun is SEMI AUTO.

The troy rifle posted above is PUMP action...it can have ANY evil features even in NYC.

BUT - the troy pump action rifle is still considered an AR-15...even though it's not semi auto...so NYC would not allow it I bet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was told The Ruger PC9 would not be allowed because the "P" stood for "Police".... it had no banned features as long as blocked magazines were used. the woman at the rifle/shotgun division was adamant that she wouldn't sign off on it.
View Quote

They told me the same thing..."Nope the "P" stands for police...illegal in NYC"

Morons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The ARES SCR i am not sure about, i mentioned that in a previous comment. I have to check it out at the rifle/shotgun section
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NYPD license division say the Ares SCR is banned because it is easily converted to an assault weapon...which isn't true...and even if it was, ALL guns are easily converted to a so called "AW" - slap a 10/22 into a pistol gripped stock and it is an AW!

They say the stock can too easily be replaced with an adjustable stock...which couldn't be FURTHER from the truth...

They say it is banned because it takes AR-15 mags...but that isn't a banned feature...

They say it is banned because it is an AR-15...which isn't true.

They say it is banned because they are morons.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The NYPD license division say the Ares SCR is banned because it is easily converted to an assault weapon...which isn't true...and even if it was, ALL guns are easily converted to a so called "AW" - slap a 10/22 into a pistol gripped stock and it is an AW!

They say the stock can too easily be replaced with an adjustable stock...which couldn't be FURTHER from the truth...

They say it is banned because it takes AR-15 mags...but that isn't a banned feature...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys need to put together funds and go Article 78 on them with a good second amendment attorney.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Honestly though, even if we won the Article 78 (which I bet we would, since the NYPD is indeed WRONG in banning the SCR)...

The license division would just go running to the police commissioner and demand he add the Ares SCR to the banned list.

Just as easy as that...

But we are right - according to the laws as of NOW, the SCR should be legal...

But if we can force NYC to amend the law every time a new gun comes out, it may stop them from dicking us around. May.

What we really need is to get NYC's discretionary licensing laws, and power to ban anything arbitrarily, thrown out in court.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Honestly though, even if we won the Article 78 (which I bet we would, since the NYPD is indeed WRONG in banning the SCR)...

The license division would just go running to the police commissioner and demand he add the Ares SCR to the banned list.

Just as easy as that...

But we are right - according to the laws as of NOW, the SCR should be legal...

But if we can force NYC to amend the law every time a new gun comes out, it may stop them from dicking us around. May.

What we really need is to get NYC's discretionary licensing laws, and power to ban anything arbitrarily, thrown out in court.
View Quote

Shouldn't that be true though? Shouldn't we be able to own certain weapons even though they are new? What in god's good name is the difference between a modern semi and an older one? Also, isn't there a way to go beyond them and send in a request form from the commissioner's office where we can state that a person is legally buying a long rifle to the rules and regulations?
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quick question for ya, does the State Law trump City Law? Or do i have it the other way around?
From what I remember Local laws can add to, but not detract from State Law, same with Federal....So NYC could add "anything that looks like an EBR is an AW." and unless challenged (and there ARE people doing it all the time with little to no fanfair) it'll stick.

You sound like me dude, thats the same argument I give many many times. I am just being 50/50 with this so both sides may win, in the end just ban spoons because it makes people get fat from eating too much icecream.  Bloomberg banned carbonated drinks over XX size, and it held until enough pissed people made them reverse it.
View Quote

The only viable means we have at this point is to interface at every point; make it KNOWN without doubt your opposition, be willing to stand in Court, and win-loose-draw DO NOT GIVE UP OR IN UNTIL IT'S ALL FINISHED!  
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 4:17:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I mean, I know its one thing to say and another thing to do but we can't just throw money at people and say "do it for us". Lawyers aren't the entire battle, the Marine who destroyed the unSAFE act in 3 min is something we all have to do. Consistently, only problem is we have jobs. Those jobs require us to be present and we cannot leave them to fight something that required months and countless hours. So there needs to be some sort of mass petition or mass communication to revoke these abstract laws. There must be more we can do, in a diplomatic way
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#43]
PUMP AK47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rkgSEoga8E
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#44]
It's so much easier to be an unconvicted felon.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top