Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 4:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: O_DubhGhaill] [#1]
The "Fudd gun" might not be legal here either, depending on its factory configuration.  We are in HELL.  Happy Thanksgiving.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By O_DubhGhaill:
The "Fudd gun" might not be legal here either, depending on its factory configuration.  We are in HELL.  Happy Thanksgiving.
View Quote

A ruger 10/22 with a thumb hole stock is not welcome here.  Please please PLEASE read before coming here.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
What about my.....

Official NY SAFE Act FAQ

Read that first. If you have a specific question, Google it. If it is elusive as all hell, check NYfirearms.com

If the answer isn't there, and it's not a stupid question, ask it without using all caps.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#4]
This needs to be pinned
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By highspeedforlife:
What about my.....

Official NY SAFE Act FAQ

Read that first. If you have a specific question, Google it. If it is elusive as all hell, check NYfirearms.com

If the answer isn't there, and it's not a stupid question, ask it without using all caps.
View Quote

It's a good idea, but here's the problem (at least how I see it):  ARFcom, in fact most web forums is one hell of a big, confusing place. When one is searching out information, sometimes just getting to the right place is uber challenging;  For example: I went to a BMW forum, signed up, and went searching for information...spent quite a bit of time looking, finally posted a question and was promptly smacked with "go check the Wiki page." which was fine, even the best answer, but it took a long time to finally find that answer....if it doesn't have the key words or phrases the newby is looking for right there in their face, they won't spend any time looking through it.  
Perhaps those who seriously spend time here could take a position of referring new posters with basic FAQ's right to a particular link, then hopefully they'll contribute and enrich the forum, or go away, but us getting pissy or butt hurt over it accomplishes nothing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fp1201:

It's a good idea, but here's the problem (at least how I see it):  ARFcom, in fact most web forums is one hell of a big, confusing place. When one is searching out information, sometimes just getting to the right place is uber challenging;  For example: I went to a BMW forum, signed up, and went searching for information...spent quite a bit of time looking, finally posted a question and was promptly smacked with "go check the Wiki page." which was fine, even the best answer, but it took a long time to finally find that answer....if it doesn't have the key words or phrases the newby is looking for right there in their face, they won't spend any time looking through it.  
Perhaps those who seriously spend time here could take a position of referring new posters with basic FAQ's right to a particular link, then hopefully they'll contribute and enrich the forum, or go away, but us getting pissy or butt hurt over it accomplishes nothing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fp1201:
What about my.....

Official NY SAFE Act FAQ

Only because I like you and your fishing skills are superior - I will make a pledge to be helpful to the next 3 rookies with silly questions.

Also must be nice to have a BMW and all the guns ever made
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Also must be nice to have a BMW and all the guns ever made
View Quote

The Bimmer was a used 2003 325XI and it was a love/hate relationship: buying the car was very reasonable, it was a very nice car to travel in, and the harder you pushed it the better it liked it.  

I don't have "all the guns ever made".....YET!  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Bravo Mr. Fish.   Bravo!

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent post.
Sucks that it had to be done, the whole thing sucks, but it should be helpful.

And... fuck you andy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
We are not welcome in our own state

According to herr cuomo, we are extremists
that don't belong here

Why come here?

Spend your money somewhere else

Why risk being arrested?

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cas] [#14]

We should make this thread a sticky, that way no one will ever read it again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By cas:
http://photos.imageevent.com/cas6969/misc/websize/gotojail2.jpg

We should make this thread a sticky, that way no one will ever read it again.
View Quote

Negatory. We need to bump fire this thread.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Consult your lawyer or a NY lawyer familiar with the un-SAFE Act.  NY does not welcome your freedom here and will not hesitate to arrest you for your ignorance.  Don't want to pay a lawyer for a consult?  Then buy yourself a cheap tube of...

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Great post Fish
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JW1069:
Consult your lawyer or a NY lawyer familiar with the un-SAFE Act.  NY does not welcome your freedom here and will not hesitate to arrest you for your ignorance.  Don't want to pay a lawyer for a consult?  Then buy yourself a cheap tube of...

http://cdn2.thegloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/kyjelly.jpg
View Quote

Won't matter.  They'll just ban that too.
And then replace it with this:

Seriously, this is one of the reasons I'm glad I don't live there any more.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]
^^^ Nice work Fish!
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#22]
20 bucks says we have a question that is answered in this thread posted as a new thread before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#24]
My bad. I started another out-of-towner thread.

Didnt see this thread prior. Please excuse my other posting. Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#25]
DON'T come here!  This state is "THE CESSPOOL of THE LEFT!"  If you must, be resourceful!
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:52:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somedude] [#26]
has anyone gotten a out of state non resident pistol permit, someone in the family knows someone who got one in a short amount of time.  I heard all kinds of nuts things about getting one, but trying to find solid info and perhaps someone who went through the ringer on this.

all of my living family is still in NY so I visit from time to time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:48:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fish223] [#27]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By fish223:
I do not believe there is any  non-resident permit issued by NY, nor has there ever been.

View Quote

ok, only thing I have found was people who live there part time can possibly get one. seems like no go on pepper spray to...
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:06:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yellowrexsi] [#30]
Originally Posted By TimJ:
So I have Gogled and Gogled...can I posess ammunition in New York being a non permitted out of stater?
View Quote

Yes you can. Currently we don't have ammo possession restrictions.
Edit: nys does not have ammo possession restrictions. Nyc could be a different story.
Are you asking for nys or nyc?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By somedude:
has anyone gotten a out of state non resident pistol permit, someone in the family knows someone who got one in a short amount of time.  I heard all kinds of nuts things about getting one, but trying to find solid info and perhaps someone who went through the ringer on this.

all of my living family is still in NY so I visit from time to time.
View Quote

My Dad and a friend of mine, just got NY non resident permits.  Delaware and Chenango County.   Delaware will issue a premise permit. Chenango does the same, but after having the permit for one year and taking a pistol class they will upgrade it to unrestricted.

The kicker is for both counties, you need to own a house.   Staying with family, renting or leasing does not qualify according to their rules.  Other counties may vary.  My family owns a cabin on 250 acres that we all use.  My wife and I spend the most time there of anyone in the family, but my name is not on the deed, so I can not get a permit.

We've been pondering whether to do the simple thing of selling a 1% share to each person, or sue the the county.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:33:20 PM EDT
[#33]
NYers have learned to become "Resourceful"!  If you're a non resident looking to bring guns into NY, use your brains! 'Nuff said!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Simple question as I haven't been in the state in about 8 years (don't miss it either), don't know what laws have changed, and am traveling up this weekend to visit family for the holidays:

Can I have an unloaded shotgun in my truck under the back seat? Can the ammo be in the cab with me, say in the glovebox?

Does the shotgun have to be locked?

If "features" are a question its an H&R pardner, with an 18.5" barrel, and 5 round capacity:

Sorry for the silly questions, but last I know (again, 8 years ago..) it would be completely legal if the gun was unloaded. I want to make sure that hasn't changed. I wouldn't bring anything but the thought of driving across the entire US without a firearm leaves me leery.

Thanks in advance guys!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, next week we will be driving to Maine. Unfortunately I can't avoid driving through NY.  Normally when I we travel I carry my STG-556 with the barrel removed in a discrete bag, and my Glock 19, and maybe a pocket gun.   I have LEOSA creds, but still thinking it is not a good idea to bring the STG or my Glock through the state.

So my options seem to be as follows:
Option 1: Carry my Kahr P9 which has a magazine capacity of 7 rounds, and bring a Mossberg pump shotgun, which I see from the above posts should be locked separate from the ammo. What if the shotgun is disassembled and in some kind of container but not locked?
Option 2: Carry my Ruger Speed Six .357 revolver and a few speed loaders plus my Rossi ranch hand in .357.  Are lever action rifles ok under the Unsafe act?

I'm inclined towards option 1 just because I have more holsters for the Kahr which gives me more carry options once at my destination.  The appeal of option 2 is not having to carry two types of ammo, but I only have one holster for the Speed Six and it being a full sized 4" bbl gun it will be harder to conceal.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 1:30:55 AM EDT
[#37]
There is no New York State rule about transport in a locked container but under fopa it is suggested (? Required) it be. Traveling under leosa a pistol with ten round mag is fine. Rossi ranch hand is actually a pistol I believe and in the eyes of New York State is in the same category as any other pistol covered solely under leosa or fopa.for non leosa transport the federal rule ( with no safe bet New York State will respect federal law) is locked in a container unloaded with ammo separately.and the advice for non Leo's is to spend as little time as possible in New York State ( no fuel food or overnight stops- use the restroom before you cross into New York and make every effort not to stop at all in New York. I thank my lucky stars every day that I had the good sense and opportunity to leave a year ago!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 12:43:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By fish223:
In recent weeks, the NY Home Town Forum has been visited by multiple recent join-date, low post-count members asking questions as to the legality of bring AR style rifles, handguns, and standard capacity magazines into the state.  We are leery of these questions, and have reason to believe that these questions are being posted by the media, trolls, and law enforcement personnel in the hopes of having someone here give information that goes counter to the current laws of the Kingdom of Cuomo, previously known as the State of NY.

I link some examples:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/571190_Deer_hunting_in_NY_with_SR556E___from_Ohio__Advice_needed.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/570701_ARE_THEIR_ANY_AR15_S_SEMI_AUTO_LEGAL_IN_NY_IN_ANY_CONFIGURATION_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/569892_NY_hunting_with_5_56.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_9/571823_Non_resident_coming_to_stay_a_while___can_they_bring_their_guns_.html&page=1&anc=6292140#i6292140

Here is the bottom line………….

Don’t do it.

Your AR is not welcome here.  Your 30 round magazine is not welcome here.  Your pistols and revolvers are not welcome here.  End of discussion.

The NY (un)SAFE Act, as well as pre-exising laws regarding handgun possession have made us the single most unfriendly state in the country to firearms owners.

So, don’t do it.

There are some limited exceptions, like if you are a LEO (for handguns), or if you have what is now referred to as a “featureless” AR. No detachable mag, no pistol grip, no threaded muzzle, or bayo lug, or forward grip, etc.  Or if your AR is not gas operated, but converted to “bolt-action” operation only.  There are some various ways to work around the strict wording of the law, perhaps with a permanently affixed mag (FAB 10 anyone?) But the law has not yet been truly tested in a court of law to even determine what these terms actually mean, or how to achieve them.

None of us here are happy with it, many of us are leaving for Free America because of it, many more have removed their non-compliant guns and accessories from the state until such time as the laws are overturned, or quantified properly, but the bottom line remains:  DO NOT BRING ANY AR pattern rifles, any handguns, or any magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammo into this state.

I’m sorry, I truly am.  I would love for you to be able to bring anything you want across our borders.  Upstate NY has some of the most breathtaking land and hunting in the world.  But for now, bring a Fudd gun, or just don’t come.  

I may or may not linked the penal codes and text of the Act, it’s depressing.

In the meanwhile, let this thread be the place where all these questions get directed to, and my fellow NYHTF members can add to or comment in, and eliminate some of the repetition.

Happy Thanksgiving.

EDIT:

The following links (some repeated from within the thread) contain all of the pertinent information regarding the most current information about un(SAFE).

Text of the un(SAFE) act

Cuomo's Fact Sheet

un(SAFE) act FAQ

NY State Police Troopers Guide (revised)

Guide to un(SAFE) re: mental hygiene

Interactive guide to the un(SAFE) act

View Quote

Free men don't ask permission.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top