Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2014 6:20:53 PM EDT
My brother owns land in St Lawrence county.
He is going upstate for business, and would like to bring a S&W M&P 40 with him to shoot on his land. It has a 15 rd capacity.
Is this gun legal as it is??  
His land is somewhat remote, but does have road access. I told him if he could bring a copy of the tax bill it may come in handy if there is any problems.
We used to summer there, but that was 35 years ago. Neighbors will probably not know him on site.
Is there anything else I'm forgetting, or need to know?
TIA
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, join date and post count check out.  But I'm still not touching this.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer is "No."

Long answer is "No.....  Illegal to possess handgun without a permit, illegal to possess magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds."
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
OK, thanks. I was thinking that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Would he be legal bringing only the pistol, then purchasing a 10rd mag while there in order to facilitate shooting on his land?
Sorry if the question seems stupid. I used just about all of my brain trying to figure out NJ's clusterfuck of gun laws.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simple answer is that if I went into NJ with a handgun and got caught, I would end up in jail.  It is no different up here.  The same thing would happen in NY if the roles were reversed.  Also, do not bring your NJ legal AWs up here.
View Quote

I would expect that here being I'm a lifelong subject.
I just thought NY was a little more sensible being he owns land there. Besides, I dont know the laws there.
Damn, I used to drive my dirtbike EVERYWHERE with my marlin 39 loaded and slung over my shoulder. Guess that would make the news now days.
Guess I'm preaching to the choir....

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would he be legal bringing only the pistol, then purchasing a 10rd mag while there in order to facilitate shooting on his land?
Sorry if the question seems stupid. I used just about all of my brain trying to figure out NJ's clusterfuck of gun laws.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]
OK. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I just thought NY was a little more sensible being he owns land there.

View Quote
"New York" - Sensible?!?!  Those are two words I have never seen used together.  An oxymoron like "Military Intelligence".

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
New York does now allow for part- time resident pistol  permits.

http://www.nraila.org/legal/articles/2014/rights-of-part-time-new-york-residents-affirmed.aspx
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Short answer is "No."

Long answer is "No..... Illegal to possess handgun without a permit, illegal to possess magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds." Sell both the land in NY and NJ and use funds to invest in free America."
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://www.nraila.org/legal/articles/2014/rights-of-part-time-new-york-residents-affirmed.aspx
View Quote

Yes, but even in St. Lawrence County it'll take many months to obtain.
If the OP is interested in carrying a Pistol in the future (anywhere in NY except NYC) then I'd suggest submitting an application.
St. Lawrence is the largest County in the State; very rural in most places, and property along the Seaway is spectacular AND expensive!

OP:
Where is the property located?
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If the OP is interested in carrying a Pistol in the future (anywhere in NY except NYC) then I'd suggest submitting an application.
St. Lawrence is the largest County in the State; very rural in most places, and property along the Seaway is spectacular AND expensive!

OP:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP:

It's in Lisbon twp.Old state rd to be exact.
The family spent many a summer there, riding dirt bikes between Canton , Flackville , Rennslear falls & Heuvelton. I haven't been in that area for 25 yrs, God I didnt think anywhere was as F*ed up in the gun law area than NJ.....<smh>
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Still way easier to get a CCW in NY than NJ.  Other than that, laws are very derpy.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The family spent many a summer there, riding dirt bikes between Canton , Flackville , Rennslear falls & Heuvelton. I haven't been in that area for 25 yrs, God I didnt think anywhere was as F*ed up in the gun law area than NJ.....<smh>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP:

Well up there they have a shoot-shovel-stfu attitude...Border Patrol will sniff around especially if you've a van...lots of Amish, Aboriginals, welfare rats, and folks that get real pissed off when someone from out of State puts posted signs up every twenty feet around their Camp.
It's nothing personal, just a few things I've notice after 28 years here. It's a whole different World up there...nice, but different.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well up there they have a shoot-shovel-stfu attitude...Border Patrol will sniff around especially if you've a van...lots of Amish, Aboriginals, welfare rats, and folks that get real pissed off when someone from out of State puts posted signs up every twenty feet around their Camp.
It's nothing personal, just a few things I've notice after 28 years here. It's a whole different World up there...nice, but different.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP:

28 years,  damn even convicts get parole.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top