Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy (FFL holder) just tagged a monster 14 point (8x6) buck in ulster county.. As soon as I get permission I will post pictures

*edit*
And 3rd page ownage
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My buddy (FFL holder) just tagged a monster 14 point (8x6) buck in ulster county.. As soon as I get permission I will post pictures

*edit*
And 3rd page ownage
View Quote

VOIDED due to edit.

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Today was quiet
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Doe at ~250yds ton.  I flipped the switch n almost took a crack but meh...
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Today was quiet
View Quote

Yep same down by us I saw squat my neighbor saw a large doe small doe and button buck at 4:00 pm about 10 minutes later we heard 3 shots I'll see tomorrow is someone from my club got one or if it was another club that borders our property.  The other piece we have is down the road we stopped in after dark no one logged any.

Very slow going this year. Not the normal for sure.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my first deer yesterday about 7:15.  A very nice 8 point buck with a decent size body.  Yes, my first deer after 5 years of hunting.  (I started deer hunting when I was 35.)

ETA *pic on page 4
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:16:26 PM EDT
[#7]

464 yards away with my .308......
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:40:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got my first deer yesterday about 7:15.  A very nice 8 point buck with a decent size body.  Yes, my first deer after 5 years of hunting.  (I started deer hunting when I was 35.)
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Headed out this morning.

Wish me luck!

Congrats on the first deer, waiting on mine.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://s1.postimg.org/dbqiosu2n/IMG_0942.jpg

View Quote

GD cross post! What county in Somalia?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://s1.postimg.org/dbqiosu2n/IMG_0942.jpg

livingston
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:51:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

this is my third year, no deer yet.   I could have shot some small deer over the past three but let them go, way too small.  

post pics
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

With a handle "556" ???

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I kept hearing 2-5 shots every time someone started shooting.  It was ridiculous.  Good thing I was back in the house by 9.
View Quote

Its kind of crazy, I'm not sure if they are just bad shots, shooting at something they have no hope of hitting or are just drunk, maybe all three.  

Also had a trespasser on the one property we shoot on, the guy is always trying to get on the owners land, hes a fucking dick.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Hunting literally in the clouds this am. Im walking the rim of a gorge. Thick clouds slowly going by and soaking me with sleet/rain. I mustve kicked 3 out on my way down, as i found fresh tracks moving fast.Im thinking the bewt bet is hunting the evergreens this am. They're probably beded down in this weather.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I shot a small 8 on my buddies property Saturday in chenego county. His father shot a 4 pointer earlier in the day that prob weighed 150 pounds. Very old buck that was going the other way horn wise. I saw 12 deer Saturday. Shot at a 6 early in the morning and missed. Then saw 8 does in a line that I couldn't shoot at. Then in the afternoon connected with the 8. A whopping 102 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Ass promised my buddies monster ulster county Buck  (206 green measurement)
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Its kind of crazy, I'm not sure if they are just bad shots, shooting at something they have no hope of hitting or are just drunk, maybe all three.  

Also had a trespasser on the one property we shoot on, the guy is always trying to get on the owners land, hes a fucking dick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I kept hearing 2-5 shots every time someone started shooting.  It was ridiculous.  Good thing I was back in the house by 9.

Next weekend with the snow we r getting in Rochester right now they will look like billboards.  I have 2 does tags and a late archery tag left.  Everyone I know wants some jerky when I make it.  Needs more than just one this year.

Good news is my stand has been producing. When it hasn't, I can sit in the bedroom and have a 100 year or less shot to the wood line.  Mom and yearling keep coming out.  I'm waiting for the does to group back up so I can get one with out a baby.  

Not sure why but I can't bring myself to shoot either of them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats! Tagged my first Buck last year after ten years of hunting. A decent 4 point. Not a wall hanger, but very tasty.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Damn. I would have turned to jello if that monster walked by my stand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Holy fuck were in Ulster was this monster taken?
View All Quotes

Private property in southern ulster county... I was sworn to secrecy over the location..
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Question from a deer hunting noob - do all you guys going for the does have to apply for and get the DMP license?

Otherwise it's just bucks with 3+ inch antlers right?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#26]
DMP's for antlerless deer - there are still some left for 7f I believe.

Bow/MZ tag is either sex.

Buck tag is a 3" spike.

My baby bro shot a doe at sunrise this morning.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Buck tag is a 3" spike.

View Quote

Yeah that's what I thought thanks.

I am going to have to get one next season - I doubt I am going to see any bucks once I finally get out there next weekend (the 29th). I bet there won't be much left!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#28]
yes you need a dmp permit unless your using a bow during bow season or a muzzle loader during that season. Than you can get either sex..
The rules for bucks vary by area

Antler Point Restrictions in Selected Wildlife Management Units

An antler point restriction is in place in WMUs 3A, 3C, 3H, 3J, 3K, 4G, 4O, 4P, 4R, 4S and 4W in Southeastern New York. The antler restriction is designed to limit harvest of yearling (1.5 years old) bucks
must have at lest one antler with 3 more points that are a inch long.

where i hunt there is no restriction.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Buck tag is a 3" spike.

View Quote

Nice..
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#30]
My first season hunting (at age 31) has been good to me.  Bagged this 7-pointer this morning.  Second time out in my life.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Nice way to sneek nipples into an arfcom post..
I award you 10 interwebs before the ban
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

this is my third year, no deer yet.   I could have shot some small deer over the past three but let them go, way too small.  

post pics
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

post pics

The smaller ones are tastier.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#33]
My Dad shot the smallest deer ever. The whole thing will taste like backstrap
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#34]
First deer/buck ever photo proof:

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

post pics

Meh, it all tastes like shit too me.   Anything i keep is going to be jerky, the rest is going to someone else
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had Venison that was gammy and yes it is awful..
I won't say all but a lot of bad taste comes from not being properly aged in a temperature controlled setting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

ETA *pic on page 4
View Quote

Awesome!

I will be going into the woods for the first time myself this season (and I have a few years on you).  Never too young to start.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Very little shooting Saturday and Sunday in the Fillmore area. Saw deer but either too far or non shooters. Still plenty of time left though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have had Venison that was gammy and yes it is awful..
I won't say all but a lot of bad taste comes from not being properly aged in a temperature controlled setting.
View Quote

I've at it all ways, over the span of my life, just dont care for it, its ok in chili and stew and jerky but everything else

Its weird, I like elk and moose, just cant stand deer or bear, bear is nasty
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I've had good bear and bad bear. I think it depends on the animal's diet.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:59:16 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

yea the bad ones ate what Cuomo was feeding them. The good ones ran the other way.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

some of it is personal taste too
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Very windy morning, good thing I put my wool on.  I sat in a thorny thicket, trying not to think about how cold I was, while my buddy walked his property trying to move the deer around.  I was ready to give up at 8 am, but he texted me that he was pushing two, following their tracks.  I climbed up on a gnarly old tree and stood on a large angled branch to get a better view.  At about 8:30 I saw three bounding across a field towards me.  When they got in the thick stuff, one stopped by an old stone wall and gave me a shot.  She's bigger than saturday's doe.  I praise God for these blessings!
   This was the first deer I've taken with my Winchester 94.  My father gave me this gun, serial number dates it to the 1950's.

Slim-jims, polish kielbasa, garlic-cheese sausage comin my way!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Very windy morning, good thing I put my wool on.  I sat in a thorny thicket, trying not to think about how cold I was, while my buddy walked his property trying to move the deer around.  I was ready to give up at 8 am, but he texted me that he was pushing two, following their tracks.  I climbed up on a gnarly old tree and stood on a large angled branch to get a better view.  At about 8:30 I saw three bounding across a field towards me.  When they got in the thick stuff, one stopped by an old stone wall and gave me a shot.  She's bigger than saturday's doe.  I praise God for these blessings!
   This was the first deer I've taken with my Winchester 94.  My father gave me this gun, serial number dates it to the 1950's.

Slim-jims, polish kielbasa, garlic-cheese sausage comin my way!
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#46]
My 11 year old daughter wanted to go out opening day, instead of waiting until Thanksgiving. She has not been with me when I have killed a deer, or seen one field dressed. She has witnessed many hung, skinned, and cut up, and eaten many a venison hotdog. We were in the stand about 5 minutes and I saw a doe bedded across the gully from us (thank you snow). I missed it when bedded, but it stuck around and gave me a second chance with the Ruger #1 in 250 Savage. I figured after that my girl would be done- go inside after we sat a while, eat lunch, play on her ipod. Nope, she wanted to go back out, so into the ground blind we went. This doe came out estimated live weight 195, one shot with the 6.8 spc and good to go:
http://
My cousins from PA came up again this year, and my cousin who has been hunting 27 years without a deer got a nice 9 point on Sunday, estimated live weight same as my doe at 195. Here is picture of him, deer, and my daughter:
http://
She was happily out in the woods with me again Sunday morning, saw a fawn bed down about 40 feet from our blind, learned what a nuthatch is and watched them walk upside down, saw 2 deer shot, and 3 field dressed. She is stoked to go to PA next year and hunt! Between the 7 of us hunting opening weekend, we got 5 deer, drank some beer, and had a great time with family.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 11 year old daughter wanted to go out opening day, instead of waiting until Thanksgiving. She has not been with me when I have killed a deer, or seen one field dressed. She has witnessed many hung, skinned, and cut up, and eaten many a venison hotdog. We were in the stand about 5 minutes and I saw a doe bedded across the gully from us (thank you snow). I missed it when bedded, but it stuck around and gave me a second chance with the Ruger #1 in 250 Savage. I figured after that my girl would be done- go inside after we sat a while, eat lunch, play on her ipod. Nope, she wanted to go back out, so into the ground blind we went. This doe came out estimated live weight 195, one shot with the 6.8 spc and good to go:
http://http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-96639-1416228279932.jpg
My cousins from PA came up again this year, and my cousin who has been hunting 27 years without a deer got a nice 9 point on Sunday, estimated live weight same as my doe at 195. Here is picture of him, deer, and my daughter:
http://http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-30159-1416228107588.jpg
She was happily out in the woods with me again Sunday morning, saw a fawn bed down about 40 feet from our blind, learned what a nuthatch is and watched them walk upside down, saw 2 deer shot, and 3 field dressed. She is stoked to go to PA next year and hunt! Between the 7 of us hunting opening weekend, we got 5 deer, drank some beer, and had a great time with family.
View Quote

Awesome!
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
http://http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-96639-1416228279932.jpg
http://http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-30159-1416228107588.jpg
View Quote

Congrats on the deer and the great memory-making.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#49]
You guys wait until hunting season?

My wife used to take deer with a small-caliber Honda. Last year, I borrowed her Toyota to get one in front of the New Paltz DEC.

Now I'm using a large caliber Honda, the Odyssey, but it just missed 2 deer on rt 299, so I'm thinking elk now.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You guys wait until hunting season?

My wife used to take deer with a small-caliber Honda. Last year, I borrowed her Toyota to get one in front of the New Paltz DEC.

Now I'm using a large caliber Honda, the Odyssey, but it just missed 2 deer on rt 299, so I'm thinking elk now.
View Quote

go up in the north country and see if you can get a moose
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top