BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd suffer chronic and debilitating headaches afterward if it were me.
Prove otherwise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is assault, plain and simple.

Not without an injury.

Prove otherwise.

If I was the kid I would have gone right to the ER afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I always wondered why police discipline is kept so quiet. Since this is is a position of public servitude,  paid for by community taxes, shouldn't that all be open to the public?  You have to disclose pay and pension amounts... shouldn't the police let the public know the steps they are taking to ensure future abuse is mitigated and how they will handle future infractions?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always wondered why police discipline is kept so quiet. Since this is is a position of public servitude,  paid for by community taxes, shouldn't that all be open to the public?  You have to disclose pay and pension amounts... shouldn't the police let the public know the steps they are taking to ensure future abuse is mitigated and how they will handle future infractions?

No

Interesting
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is assault, plain and simple.

Not without an injury.

Prove otherwise.

Yep.  Exactly.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Interesting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Interesting

The department can certainly tell the public what general steps they are taking for dept members, such as re-training, policy changes etc in order to address an identified problem
The specifics of an officers personnel actions are confidential.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

I wonder why you would think that. Oh wait, I know.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link to penal law section?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But remember if you slap a police officer it's an E felony. .. no double standard there

I spoke a little out of turn. It's only a matter of formality at this point though.

http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2402-2013
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I spoke a little out of turn. It's only a matter of formality at this point though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
But remember if you slap a police officer it's an E felony. .. no double standard there

I wonder how much laughter there would be from the ADA if I tried to charge that.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I said it because personnel actions are confidential
Hopefully that answer is what you thought you knew
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wonder how much laughter there would be from the ADA if I tried to charge that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess my point is: it's on the books. If an officer slaps me I might be able to claim a measly misdemeanor.  I slap smokey I get a 4 year ride and never get to own a gun again. Maybe even have to register as a sex offender! Just kidding about that part
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I guess my point is: it's on the books. If an officer slaps me I might be able to claim a measly misdemeanor.  I slap smokey I get a 4 year ride and never get to own a gun again. Maybe even have to register as a sex offender! Just kidding about that part
View Quote

That bill is not on the books.
It's un-passed legislation
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I realize that.  I have a pretty good relationship with Gallivan. .. it's going to pass let's put it that way
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering why it's not listed on the NYS PL sites I checked.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I realize that.  I have a pretty good relationship with Gallivan. .. it's going to pass let's put it that way
View Quote

I don't see a big push for a bill like that
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Forget about the slap. Yes it was abusive, out of line and an all around DICK move.

The bigger issue is the cop searched the car without permission, probable cause, or a warrant.
He searched "because".
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then perhaps there is miscommunication. The person you initially responded to said "should." As in, should these things be public. I believe they should, since the people involved are public servants. Do you believe they should not be, or you were merely saying that they are not as things stand right now?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'll tell that to the dozens of cops I worked with who were fired and lost their pensions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He should be fired and lose his pension.
That won't happen.
Stuff like that doesn't happen to the Kings Men

I'll tell that to the dozens of cops I worked with who were fired and lost their pensions.

Clinton County Correctional Facility is full of them.
Only the King himself is above the Law, at least so long as he controls the investigators.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The department can certainly tell the public what general steps they are taking for dept members, such as re-training, policy changes etc in order to address an identified problem
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

Interesting

Assuming that most of the folks here work someplace, they are probably all aware that privacy laws preclude their employer from revealing specifics. Just because someone works for the government, that does not remove their constitutional and legal right to privacy.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Then perhaps there is miscommunication. The person you initially responded to said "should." As in, should these things be public. I believe they should, since the people involved are public servants. Do you believe they should not be, or you were merely saying that they are not as things stand right now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The results of personnel hearings should not be public.
They are not currently, nor should they be in the future.

Quoted:

Assuming that most of the folks here work someplace, they are probably all aware that privacy laws preclude their employer from revealing specifics. Just because someone works for the government, that does not remove their constitutional and legal right to privacy.

I know that, you know that, they know that. But like Bill they will continue to beat the drum for something they know isn't going to happen
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:25:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree simply because there needs to be more transparency in government. As public servants, I feel it applies. Victimless infractions should be kept confidential such as drug/alcohol misuse/abuse, attendance-related issues, etc. Those are violations of workplace policy, and as such should remain protected.

Abusers of authority like that and others who violate the law they swore to uphold should have the results made public so other victims might be encouraged to come forward (only with proof, of course) just as is done with other alleged criminals who commit crimes against innocent people. As well, it serves the public trust in that it's an example of no one being above the law. I hate that pervading US vs THEM mentality. It was one of the few things I disliked during my time in law enforcement. We're all just people with a job to do. That Sheriff has serious issues with overstepping, he knows damn well that he can't legally search the dumbass' vehicle without a warrant or being given permission. His kind make the job all but impossibly difficult for the rest of the hard-working, honorable men & women wearing the uniform.

Though, all of this could've been avoided if the "innocent" moron didn't leave a rifle in plain sight in an unattended vehicle in the parking area of a business closed for the evening. Looks pretty suspicious to me and I'm sure it was the reason for the officer's hostility. My "spidey sense" would've been ringing off the hook, too. No way to know if a different approach may have secured permission or if they even tried the nice way first.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I know that, you know that, they know that. But like Bill they will continue to beat the drum for something they know isn't going to happen
As long as the infraction isn't illegal and has no victim, it should remain confidential.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I disagree simply because there needs to be more transparency in government. As public servants, I feel it applies. Victimless infractions should be kept confidential such as drug/alcohol misuse/abuse, attendance-related issues, etc. Those are violations of workplace policy, and as such should remain protected.

Abusers of authority like that and others who violate the law they swore to uphold should have the results made public so other victims might be encouraged to come forward (only with proof, of course) just as is done with other alleged criminals who commit crimes against innocent people. As well, it serves the public trust in that it's an example of no one being above the law. I hate that pervading US vs THEM mentality. It was one of the few things I disliked during my time in law enforcement. We're all just people with a job to do. That Sheriff has serious issues with overstepping, he knows damn well that he can't legally search the dumbass' vehicle without a warrant or being given permission. His kind make the job all but impossibly difficult for the rest of the hard-working, honorable men & women wearing the uniform.

Though, all of this could've been avoided if the "innocent" moron didn't leave a rifle in plain sight in an unattended vehicle in the parking area of a business closed for the evening. Looks pretty suspicious to me and I'm sure it was the reason for the officer's hostility. My "spidey sense" would've been ringing off the hook, too. No way to know if a different approach may have secured permission or if they even tried the nice way first.
View Quote

I agree about the not leaving it visible part
Everyone thinks that laminated window glass is somehow adequate security against their stuff being stolen.

I don't think anyone was actually current or former LEOs would say that personnel actions should be public. I suppose there's a unicorn out there who does, since they're no longer held to the possibility of their own lives being subjected to that..
As to your concern that the public be reassured, they can be reassured without having the details of the personnel action made public
If it gets to where action is taken legally then yes, the facts will mostly come out, but as you should know if you are former LEO, there's still a ton of stuff the jury never hears

"Us vs them" started with the public, not LEOs, and I think if you were truly former LEO you'd know that from personal experience
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's a pretty blatant violation of any agencies search and seizure policy
A Sgt with 27 years on the job should be smarter than that
He pissed away his career over a vehicle search.
View Quote

Yep.

And here we are, condemning his actions, yet the same usual suspects will claim we always take up for our own.....TBL and all that....
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Forget about the slap. Yes it was abusive, out of line and an all around DICK move.

The bigger issue is the cop searched the car without permission, probable cause, or a warrant.
He searched "because".
View Quote

No kidding.

Hell, RS to stop the guy is weak. Leaving a .22 rifle in the back seat is dumb, but it isn't criminal unless there is some other circumstance we don't know about.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:I agree about the not leaving it visible part
Everyone thinks that laminated window glass is somehow adequate security against their stuff being stolen.

I don't think anyone was actually current or former LEOs would say that personnel actions should be public. I suppose there's a unicorn out there who does, since they're no longer held to the possibility of their own lives being subjected to that..
As to your concern that the public be reassured, they can be reassured without having the details of the personnel action made public
If it gets to where action is taken legally then yes, the facts will mostly come out, but as you should know if you are former LEO, there's still a ton of stuff the jury never hears

"Us vs them" started with the public, not LEOs, and I think if you were truly former LEO you'd know that from personal experience
View Quote

So you think that the police should continue to investigate the police behind closed police doors and continue to conclude that the police have done nothing wrong? Move along, nothing so see here?

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So you think that the police should continue to investigate the police behind closed police doors and continue to conclude that the police have done nothing wrong? Move along, nothing so see here?
View Quote

I think that personnel issues are confidential and will continue to be so
Not just on this but any personnel issue
If there are charges brought then it becomes something that  the public will get more details about as it goes through the justice system.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
You can sign this petition, DEPRIVATION OF RIGHTS UNDER COLOR OF LAW        http://www.change.org/p/saratoga-county-district-attorney-karen-a-heggen-arrest-saratoga-county-sheriff-sgt-shawn-glans#
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You can sign this petition, DEPRIVATION OF RIGHTS UNDER COLOR OF LAW        http://www.change.org/p/saratoga-county-district-attorney-karen-a-heggen-arrest-saratoga-county-sheriff-sgt-shawn-glans#
View Quote

Signed, thanks for posting.

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Hope his job was worth getting bent out of shape..........dumbass
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:38:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If there are charges brought then it becomes something that  the public will get more details about as it goes through the justice system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I get, the police should keep it quiet while investigating the police, but if the police decide that the police did something wrong, then the police should tell someone outside the police about it. That way if the police decide the police did nothing wrong even though the police did something wrong then the police don't have to let anyone but the police know about it.

It's very convenient. You people have created quite a system for yourselves.  

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah I get, the police should keep it quiet while investigating the police, but if the police decide that the police did something wrong, then the police should tell someone outside the police about it. That way if the police decide the police did nothing wrong even though the police did something wrong then the police don't have to let anyone but the police know about it.

View Quote

The same process would be used for any public sector position.
More than likely he'll just be allowed to retire, so all the guys here who want to see him convicted of felonies and tossed in prison for 30 years will simply have to move on to the next LE thread to get their fix
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
More than likely he'll just be allowed to retire, so all the guys here who want to see him convicted of felonies and tossed in prison for 30 years will simply have to move on to the next LE thread to get their fix
View Quote

Yeah, but in no other public sector postion except LE, Military, that sort of thing, does someone have the ability to fuck over a persons life completely, or for that matter legally take it.

This scumbag is a piece of shit, and SHOULD be made an example of. Allowing to quietly retire does nothing to prevent the next scumbag POS LEO from doing the exact same thing or worse, especially knowing that in the slim chance he gets caught, he'll get a private slap on the wrist and allowed to retire comfortably.

This scumbag should be stripped of all retirement benefits, and then stripped of his freedom, and spend the next 10 years in the pen contemplating his assholeishness. He is what is wrong with LE, and guys like you want to give him a pass. Then you wonder why people dislike LE.....
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's ok.  I can pretty much guarantee there will be another thread with another situation of a cop shooting/tazing/beating or otherwise violating a person's rights without cause within a week.

The lights are coming on and the cock roaches are scurrying.  And I love it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, but in no other public sector postion except LE, Military, that sort of thing, does someone have the ability to fuck over a persons life completely, or for that matter legally take it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That shouldn't matter.
Every public sector employee has the same privacy rights as any other regardless of actual job title
Quoted:

This scumbag should be stripped of all retirement benefits, and then stripped of his freedom, and spend the next 10 years in the pen contemplating his assholeishness. He is what is wrong with LE, and guys like you want to give him a pass. Then you wonder why people dislike LE.....

He wont lose his pension, and nowhere did I say he should get a "pass", just because I believe that personnel actions are privileged confidential actions.
Maybe you should stop attributing words or sentiments to me that I never said
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It's a pretty blatant violation of any agencies search and seizure policy
A Sgt with 27 years on the job should be smarter than that
He pissed away his career over a vehicle search.
View Quote
 Power Trip

FIFY

Fire him at the least and charge if the kid makes a complaint.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, to me, if you aren't amongst those who want to see him convicted of felonies, and tossed in prison for some amount of time, then you want to give him a pass, since what he did is despicable for someone in LE. If there is no punishment other than a stern reprimand, and a wink and nod to full retirement, then there is no reason for any LEO to stop such behavior. Therein lies the problem in the system.

If it is well known that if I am a LEO, and I act like an asshole and violate the shit out of some guys rights because I feel I can, that I will suffer some major consequences, a fair amount of this will stop. Until then, it makes the papers for a few weeks, the Dept hides behind privacy issues, and nothing really happens. The shitty LEO out there feels he is good to go with gestapo tactics. And as usual, a complete shitbag makes all the good guys look like a sack of crap too......
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Well, to me, if you aren't amongst those who want to see him convicted of felonies, and tossed in prison for some amount of time, then you want to give him a pass, since what he did is despicable for someone in LE. If there is no punishment other than a stern reprimand, and a wink and nod to full retirement, then there is no reason for any LEO to stop such behavior. Therein lies the problem in the system.

If it is well known that if I am a LEO, and I act like an asshole and violate the shit out of some guys rights because I feel I can, that I will suffer some major consequences, a fair amount of this will stop. Until then, it makes the papers for a few weeks, the Dept hides behind privacy issues, and nothing really happens. The shitty LEO out there feels he is good to go with gestapo tactics. And as usual, a complete shitbag makes all the good guys look like a sack of crap too......
View Quote

This. This should seem obvious, but it's something most LEOs don't seem to get, probably because they themselves fear the consequences of some of their choices.

And I'm sorry, but screw the privacy of people who have the legal right to shoot me and/or destroy my life. When that kind of power is given, the lights need to stay on, and the minute the cockroach veers off the path, it should be squashed by the full weight of the legal system, like this scumbag should be.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This. This should seem obvious, but it's something most LEOs don't seem to get, probably because they themselves fear the consequences of some of their choices.

And I'm sorry, but screw the privacy of people who have the legal right to shoot me and/or destroy my life. When that kind of power is given, the lights need to stay on, and the minute the cockroach veers off the path, it should be squashed by the full weight of the legal system, like this scumbag should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS is the biggest difference between LEO and the private sector.  There's nothing I can do in my line of work that can fuck up someone's life forever.  Maybe, other than forcing them to drink from a beer tap until they puke...

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:16:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Sergeant charged: WNYT news story

He says there is more to the story.  I look forward to hearing it considering that I live in Saratoga County.

ETA:  Sergeant resinged this morning
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:33:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Reports that he resigned from his position.  Not sure if that means from sergeant to deputy or as in his job.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sergeant charged: WNYT news story

He says there is more to the story.  I look forward to hearing it considering that I live in Saratoga County.

ETA:  Sergeant resinged this morning
View Quote

That is all very good news, he deserves everything he gets. Of course the big question is, what do you think would have happened if this was NOT caught on video? At best I would think a complaint filed, and a verbal reprimand if it even got that far....begs the question how many times a day does this happen around the US?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That is all very good news, he deserves everything he gets. Of course the big question is, what do you think would have happened if this was NOT caught on video? At best I would think a complaint filed, and a verbal reprimand if it even got that far....begs the question how many times a day does this happen around the US?
View Quote

According to reports found on places like youtube, link supported sites, and othes like Infowars it happens all the time, and in places you'd NOT expect:  I have friends in East Texas confirming that they seem to be the worst for "color of Law" JBT bullshit ESPECIALLY when they see out of State Plates.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Hopefully he still has his gun and he decides to suck start it.

I have zero compassion for dirty cops.  Fuck him.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Comments on that second link are un-suprising...

Colleen81 26 mins ago  +2 updown  Share | Flag
I have known this family for years and Shawn has been abusing his wife and two young girls for years. He NEEDS to be locked up!

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bazinga

BALLSTON SPA — Sergeant Shawn R. Glans was arrested and resigned Monday, days after the deputy was suspended after a video posted on the Internet captured him allegedly slapping a young man as the deputy insisted on searching his vehicle.

Glans of the Saratoga County sheriff's department was charged Monday with official misconduct and harassment. The misconduct charge, a misdemeanor, is a the more serious offense and carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison. A judge forbid him from having contact with the alleged victim.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Saratoga-sheriff-to-discuss-viral-video-5883183.php
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#46]

I am as pro LE as they get. It is my opinion that those folks who hold the keys to power in society should be treated with MORE transparency than others.

That list would include:

judges, DAs, police, politicians, probation, parole, corrections, dmv, any .gov entity

If public service is such hot shit show some skin if you want in on the game.

I am glad to see this imposter of a police supervisor gone. Who knows how many times he's thrown his weight around?  The catcher (guy who caught the keys) should face some heat two. Someone was right in front of him breaking laws he swore an oath to protect and defend (or something to that effect) and he did jaxx squat about it.

-ml

Link Posted: 11/10/2014 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Arrested? I have to admit...I'm shocked. In a good way.

I mean...I've seen this story a hundred times before. "Officer suspended pending investigation" and a little while later "no wrongdoing was found and officer returns to duty." Over and over and over and over again.

This...this is good.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Arrested? I have to admit...I'm shocked. In a good way.

I mean...I've seen this story a hundred times before. "Officer suspended pending investigation" and a little while later "no wrongdoing was found and officer returns to duty." Over and over and over and over again.

This...this is good.
View Quote

Well then you need to pull your head from your rear.  At my dept alone I know of at least three times where they were not only suspended and fired, but charged afterwards.  Just because you don't hear about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  

I'll make sure IA knows from now on that after they discipline an officer in some form or another they need to call Bill and let him know.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#49]
They should publicly release the information to all media outlets that will hear it when it does happen. Or is that too "invasive" a procedure for the unions to allow? My gosh! Publicly ruining the life of a former, state funded, violent thug gone wild who was allowed to silently resign and collect his pension?! The horror...What Bill describes is NATIONALLY common. Your personal ability to see it locally is irrelevant and duly discarded as such. "Us VS Them" serves neither of us. I respect you for all you do if what you do is lawful and cordial. My words are not meant to personally offend but I am often told my words are beyond an inflammatory line I did not intend to cross. I am sensitive to anything that even closely resembles apologetic arguments defending egregious behavior by those in a position of power.

*To clarify...Not all who share the badge are as described above by any default and do not deserve to be frivolously treated in the same manner for a mere distant association. Those who share the badge and stay quiet during these matters are and should.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hopefully he still has his gun and he decides to suck start it.

I have zero compassion for dirty cops.  Fuck him.
View Quote

He''s not a dirty cop. Ass hole, yes dirty, no.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top