Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2014 6:15:48 PM EDT
I could swear I saw a drone this morning on my way to work. It was near Albany. Looked like a plane with smallish, wings
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The drones I'm familiar with all have rather large wings or at least proportional to their size...think Cessna 172
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The drones I'm familiar with all have rather large wings or at least proportional to their size...think Cessna 172
View Quote

Didn't look like it had large wings. It was hard to tell since I was glancing at it while driving.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
They have big wings, i fly right over the base in syracuse when i have to do aerial photography, they've had the drones out before, i was surprised how big they were

I've seen them fly over before too
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#6]
A drone is just an Unmanned Areal Vehicle (UAV).
It's shape could be anything the designer wants it to be.

Bill

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
This is one I saw at the verizon store. http://www.parrotshopping.com/us/p_parrot_product.aspx?i=257096

So you will be seeing this one flying around nassau this winter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A drone is just an Unmanned Areal Vehicle (UAV).
It's shape could be anything the designer wants it to be.

Bill

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Group_photo_of_aerial_demonstrators_at_the_2005_Naval_Unmanned_Aerial_Vehicle_Air_Demo.jpg
View Quote

You're right, I was thinking of the UAV's the Military uses.
Last August right at Sunset we saw  what my Son said was "a drone" but wasn't like anything we'd ever seen before yet it's plausible:  Think of a bright red signal flare like a marine distress flare fired from a launcher, flying at an estimated 500 feet, in level and silent flight, moving South West to North East...we watched it head towards us, fly by, and keep going out of sight.....as for being a UAV/Drone: it could have been a bunch of red LED lights giving off a "burning" appearance, yet searching the internet indicates there are many reports of strange balls of light in the sky coming from an unknown source.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Alot of the quad-copter types have various LED light arrangements on them

all available for civvie use
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

all available for civvie use
View Quote
For now...

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

all available for civvies use
View Quote

My guess would be it was a drone, illuminated by LED's, but they really looked like they were burning like a road flare, and who ever was controlling it had flight plan, because it was on a plotted course.....I really don't know for sure what it was or wasn't, only that it was the first like it that I've ever seen (this from a former Hanger Rat and someone who works on a Military Airfield)
In all fairness it was headed towards Post, there are a couple models of UAV's stationed, and flown out of there, and we do see a lot of military aircraft flying over our house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top