Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 8:03:02 PM EDT
Hard a great time today - never been duck hunting before, and pawned my self off on someone. Hunted from a blind on a LARGE pond (~500 acres). We ended up with a woody and 3 mergansers. I am not hooked yet, but am definitely going again!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hard a great time today - never been duck hunting before, and pawned my self off on someone. Hunted from a blind on a LARGE pond (~500 acres). We ended up with a woody and 3 mergansers. I am not hooked yet, but am definitely going again!

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-20248-1414277602348.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-35077-1414277631529.jpg
View Quote

I wish I had shotgun skills...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I took 3 teal and a black duck last weekend
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Let us know how you cooked the Hoodie? And how it tasted...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
i'll im him to you, he is all yours!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i'll im him to you, he is all yours!
View Quote

Nope, nope, nope. Nope, nope!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
To quote Steve Rinella from Meat Eater TV, on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast - "coyote tastes like old diver duck"
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-20248-1414277602348.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv330/penrod72/photobucket-35077-1414277631529.jpg
View Quote

If you're "definitely going again" I can promise you right now that you're hooked.  It's a great time. Up north goose hunting myself this weekend although they changed duck opening day to next week for some odd reason.  Welcome to the world of bird hunting!  That woody will be delicious but I'm not sure I'd recommend eating the mergansers lol.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I took 3 teal and a black duck last weekend
View Quote

Teal can be tough little buggers.  They're pretty damn quick haha.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If you're "definitely going again" I can promise you right now that you're hooked.  It's a great time. Up north goose hunting myself this weekend although they changed duck opening day to next week for some odd reason.  Welcome to the world of bird hunting!  That woody will be delicious but I'm not sure I'd recommend eating the mergansers lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the exact same thing I said after my first time years ago. Now we have a diver rig with layout boat for the big water during the second season, goose/duck field dekes, swamp rigs with mud buddy...it's more addictive than AR's...well, almost.

If you're a bow hunter, you will stop chasing the swamp donkeys and start following the migration with the winds and temp changes. Just wait until you start spending money on acrylic calls, short reed calls, double reed calls, floater dekes, spinning wing dekes, diver dekes, full body-flocked head dekes, camo paint for all your boats, late season waders and lighter early season waders, layout blinds, layout boat, 10 ga for geese, 12 ga auto for ducks, various cases of shot, wetlands camo....it's a freaking money pit.

You better ask for gift cards from Mack's for Christmas...MPW

On a side note, why is Drake Gear, Sitka, Columbia and Dirty Bird clothing so damn expensive?!

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#10]
ditto .....that's a good one
Quoted:
Let us know how you cooked the Hoodie? And how it tasted...
View Quote

its all over now ...money, money, and more money 31/2 12 gauge or the 10 gauge oh so many choices ,..wait till you go shooting pumpkins out of the sky ... goose ....
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#11]
awesome job OP!

I've been out everyday since opening day last weekend..got a bunch of woodies and a few mallards and mergansers down.. most local birds have left with this moderate cold front moving in..  was hoping to see some new birds but haven't.   didn't see shit except some high flyer canadas getting the fuck out (whole mess of them)

while we were picking up had about 30 ducks come over us .. looking real interested in the two dudes and 20 fake ducks in the pond..

hoping tomorrows cold temps pushes some of these mallards around.

good luck!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top