Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2014 2:16:27 PM EDT
So I drove to Lebanon,  PA yesterday to pick up my new puppy and I had a revelation... i counted 13 NYS Troopers looking for speeding motorists and not 1 single PA enforcement official (Highway Patrol or otherwise).

The route I took gave me 200 miles in PA and just over 100 in NYS.

So I have to ask... is NY just that much more unsafe? Shit I was doing 85 across multiple Pennsylvania state highways  as well as so many other drivers and there was no issue.

But I'm coming back on the 390 going about 78 in a 65 and the guy in front of me doing the same speed gets tagged.

No question I guess... more of a angering observation
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
There's no "quota" but if an Officer doesn't have X number of interfaces per hour he's chastised and/or OT is eliminated.
Last time I crossed out of NY at the State Line there was a Trooper snagging people just as they crossed the line...literally!

The whole damn scheme is money. Money from fines, and fees, more money for Insurance Companies, more for Officers, and more from the Federal Govt., and then there's "asset forfeitures" and folks having their vehicles & persons pulled over for searches, it makes me wonder what Country we really live in.  
From a rest area off the Interstate I watched three LEO's literally tear a young couples car apart, digging through their belongings, and after they found NOTHING, let them be on their way.....granted there ARE plenty of shit-stains out there breaking the law, running contraband, and money but long ago rules/regulations/laws were established to PROTECT ALL from over zealous persons in positions of authority as well as those victimized by criminals: problem is now we're almost all viewed as guilty until there's a total failure to make a conviction, or at least reason enough to seized rob them of their money on the side of the Road.

Of course this doesn't apply to all in law enforcement or any other profession; I've witnessed cops clearly doing the right thing  as well as others exercising the "fuck 'em, let the Judge decide"  attitude.  Historically there's was this concept of letting a guilty man go if he couldn't be proved guilty beyond doubt as opposed to placing one innocent man behind bars.    I really hate coming off as a Cop basher, because I'm not, however I do subscribe to doing the right thing, being honest, and protective of those who cannot protect themselves.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The rank and file Trooper couldn't care less about revenue. He's just trying to get the Sgt off his ass, who is trying to get the Capt off his ass, etc etc etc
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rank and file Trooper couldn't care less about revenue. He's just trying to get the Sgt off his ass, who is trying to get the Capt off his ass, etc etc etc
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

But still... why the speed traps in the middle of bumfuck new york?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm only going by what I read in the news, but Cuomo really has a hard on for traffic enforcement, raising fines, surcharges, points, penalties, and generally abusing the driving public under the guise of "making our roads safer".

I guess what I'm trying to say is FUAC!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm only going by what I read in the news, but Cuomo really has a hard on for traffic enforcement, raising fines, surcharges, points, penalties, and generally abusing the driving public under the guise of "making our roads safer".

View Quote

More taxes on the working man just driving to and from his job to subsidize the ghetto rats who sit on their ass all day long.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

More taxes on the working man just driving to and from his job to subsidize the ghetto rats who sit on their ass all day long.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo!!!!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I may see a trooper once before Binghamton and once after on 81.  And they don't care if you're going 68-70.  Just my experience.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I may see a trooper once before Binghamton and once after on 81.  And they don't care if you're going 68-70.  Just my experience.
View Quote

That's not really the point.

The point is that we are used to seeing speed traps.  I take trips down south, and after NJ, I drive all the way through the Carolinas and never see a cop running radar.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The point is that we are used to seeing speed traps.  I take trips down south, and after NJ, I drive all the way through the Carolinas and never see a cop running radar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kinda my point too
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:09:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 Historically there's was this concept of letting a guilty man go if he couldn't be proved guilty beyond doubt as opposed to placing one innocent man behind bars.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
 Historically there's was this concept of letting a guilty man go if he couldn't be proved guilty beyond doubt as opposed to placing one innocent man behind bars.  

I know I've pointed this out in the past, but you DO realize that that's a legal standard for the courtroom, right?
I understand what you're saying, but the standard for arrest is lower than what it is for conviction

Quoted:

Still an Interstate, regardless of whether there's a big city exit in the vicinity ( assuming you're still referring to being on 390)
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When my wife lived in PA and VA I would constantly see more cops in an hour and half drive through ny than in all of pa and va combined.

I went to canton on a case this summer, there three troopers and one border patrol all running radar between the end of 81 and Canton. Way more than a quarter million dollars of yearly wages wasted sitting on a rural road.
View Quote

Makes me wonder if the amount of troopers per square mile and/or population is higher proportionally in NY than in other states.  Sort of like "justify my job" type of thing.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:49:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Makes me wonder if the amount of troopers per square mile and/or population is higher proportionally in NY than in other states.  Sort of like "justify my job" type of thing.

View Quote

I can't speak for other areas of the state, but in my county its generally three or four  uniformed Troopers in single officers cars spread across the county in various patrol zones
Their zones don't conform to the county line, so they could be out of the county on other calls at any given time
On the overnight shift they're down to one class A car for the entire county
And our county legislators think they could do away with us and rely solely on the state, with that level of staffing......
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When my wife lived in PA and VA I would constantly see more cops in an hour and half drive through ny than in all of pa and va combined.
View Quote

I've never seen more than VA when heading down south. Thank god for Waze.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used to drive to Va every weekend for a year pretty much, I never saw NY trooper levels of copness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen more than VA when heading down south. Thank god for Waze.
I used to drive to Va every weekend for a year pretty much, I never saw NY trooper levels of copness.

I passed at least 15 on I-95 between DC and Fredericksburg last trip.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know I've pointed this out in the past, but you DO realize that that's a legal standard for the courtroom, right?
I understand what you're saying, but the standard for arrest is lower than what it is for conviction

Still an Interstate, regardless of whether there's a big city exit in the vicinity ( assuming you're still referring to being on 390)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not debating that it is an interstate. I'm asking why so many Troopers are needed to "protect" us from evil motorists who drive faster then grandma slow. PA seems to be safe enough without over zealous patrols, the NFA, or limited magazine capacity
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I went to canton on a case this summer, there three troopers and one border patrol all running radar between the end of 81 and Canton. Way more than a quarter million dollars of yearly wages wasted sitting on a rural road.

Pa population -12.7 million
PSP strength - 4,689

NY population - 19.4 million
NYSP strength - @4700
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm not debating that it is an interstate. I'm asking why so many Troopers are needed to "protect" us from evil motorists who drive faster then grandma slow. PA seems to be safe enough without over zealous patrols, the NFA, or limited magazine capacity
View Quote

I'm guessing they stay on the interstate because theres a lot of through traffic and the Interstates a good location to find a greater percentage of people exceeding the posted speed limit
I'm not familiar with where the barracks are in relation to the area you were passing through
They might have a barracks in your area and thus more Troopers
There may be other factors at play such as how many PA Troopers are assigned to the area you drove through there vs how many NY Troopers work the area you went through in NYS
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's certainly the situation of the ones I know best; ironically they're led by someone whose only real time in a car was as a Thruway Trooper.
"Why aren't you writing tickets!?"
"Because I'm out answering complaints."  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right, that is what I meant....kind of applies to our favorite adage; "You may beat the rap, but you're still taking the ride."
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#23]
PA Between fiscal year 2009 and fiscal year 2013, Pennsylvania's total expenditures increased by approximately $5.236 billion, from $62.644 billion in 2009 to $67.880 billion in 2013. This represents an 8.36 percent increase, below the cumulative rate of inflation during the same period (9.06 percent, calculated using the Consumer Price Indices for January 2009 and January 2013).

According to a January 2014 report by the nonprofit organization State Budget Solutions, Pennsylvania had a state debt of over $184 billion. Its state debt per capita was $14,487. The report revealed that state governments faced a combined $5.1 trillion in debt, 33 percent of annual gross state product. The obligation amounts to $16,178 per capita in the nation.
http://ballotpedia.org/Pennsylvania_state_budget#State_debt
----------------------------------

NY Between fiscal year 2009 and fiscal year 2013, New York's total expenditures increased by approximately $4 billion, from $129 billion in 2009 to $133 billion in 2013. This represents a three percent increase, below the cumulative rate of inflation during the same period (9.06 percent, calculated using the Consumer Price Indices for January 2009 and January 2013).

State debt

According to a January 2014 report by the nonprofit organization State Budget Solutions, New York had a state debt of over $387 billion. Its state debt per capita was $19,799. The report revealed that state governments faced a combined $5.1 trillion in debt, 33 percent of annual gross state product. The obligation amounts to $16,178 per capita in the nation.
http://ballotpedia.org/New_York_state_budget#State_debt
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#24]
NYSP is less than 1% of the budget.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Understand that the thruway pays for it's own troopers, cars, stations etc. That being said if they were all writing then people were flying, the threshold is very high.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Understand that the thruway pays for it's own troopers, cars, stations etc. That being said if they were all writing then people were flying, the threshold is very high.
View Quote

The thruway dept has a 1 billion budget I'm told.  How much revenue fro. The tickets the nysp write are funneled right into the coffers?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The thruway dept has a 1 billion budget I'm told.  How much revenue fro. The tickets the nysp write are funneled right into the coffers?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm curious too, this old report is interesting but just lists "other revenues":
www.osc.state.ny.us/reports/thruway_policy_08142012.pdf

Revenue – Passenger and commercial tolls account for about 95 percent of Thruwaygenerated
revenues, with the remainder coming from concession payments and interest
earnings on Thruway funds. Over the five-year period between 1997 and 2002, revenue
grew by 3.4 percent annually on average. In the next five-year period, including the toll
increase adopted in 2005, Thruway revenue grew by 5.2 percent annually on average.

Following the toll increases beginning in 2008, Thruway-generated revenue has grown by
3.4 percent annually on average.
The Thruway Authority is currently planning to increase tolls for commercial users
(excluding two-axle trucks) by an average of 45 percent. The Authority has described the
increase, which would generate an estimated $371 million in new revenue from October
2012 through 2016, as “modest.”
The difference between Thruway-generated revenues and expenses is made up
principally with federal aid and bond proceeds. Federal aid has dropped sharply in recent
years, falling to zero in 2011. During the period from 2002 through 2007, federal aid
averaged $40.7 million a year.

Debt Service – Since 1992, when the Legislature and the Governor decided to continue Thruway tolls after the original bonds were repaid, the Thruway has issued General Revenue Bonds on nine separate occasions (1992, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, twice in 2005, 2007, and 2012). Some of the early proceeds from these bonds were used to refinance the $84.5 million debt remaining from the Thruway?s original bonds, which had been scheduled to be paid off in 1996.2
The Thruway Authority has relied heavily on debt to support its capital program. Annual debt service payments have been steadily climbing in recent years and will continue to do so in the near future. This is a result of the capital needs associated with maintaining the Authority?s aging infrastructure, as well as a decline in the use of current resources (pay-as-you-go) to finance the Thruway Authority?s capital program. The portion of the Thruway capital program financed on a pay-as-you-go basis declined significantly, from nearly 60 percent to less than 20 percent, from 2005 to 2011.
The Thruway currently has $3.28 billion in outstanding General Revenue Bonds.3 Annual debt service payments were $93 million in 2002, and have risen since to reach $181.9 million in 2011. The Thruway estimates that by 2016 debt service costs will climb to $312.4 million, a 72 percent increase in just five years and a 236 percent increase since 2002. These figures exclude the costs associated with the replacement of the existing Tappan Zee Bridge.

Paying back its debt consumes an increasing share of Thruway expenses. Debt service
accounted for 17 percent of Thruway Authority spending on average between 2002 and
2011. The Thruway projects that its debt service costs will jump to 23.9 percent on
average in the five years from 2012 to 2016, reaching 25.2 percent in the final year of the
current plan.
It is clear that debt, which is one means to finance capital spending, has become a
driving force in the Thruway?s budget. Toll increases now largely go to meet debt
obligations, rather than current and future needs. Dramatically increasing debt service
costs are placing a greater burden on the Thruway Authority and are contributing to its
fiscal stress. As with the State as a whole, the Thruway?s heavy reliance on debt has put
it in a position of having limited flexibility to address its capital investment and operational
needs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#29]
They never bother me on the Thruway, but I only go 5 over.  I'm pretty much the slowest vehicle on the road.  Whatever the Troopers bring in has to be peanuts compared to the tolls they collect every day.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Higher threshold on the T-way than other highways around the state?

I usually keep it about 68-70 in 65 zones anyhow.  I'm a bit of a slow poke, until I see some fuckhead with an 0bama bumper sticker, then I have to speed to catch up and see what these assholes look like.

How much faster would you say it's safe to go without a hassle?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not much, the State gets the Lions share, the towns get the rest.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly,  there is no quota by policy.  They'll scream at you if you mention it but woe to you if you don't have "enough".    They'll simply F with you and say they're helping you be productive.

On the PA lack of visibility on the road.   How many are currently engaged in that manhunt?   Those men and women have to come from somewhere.  
\ just a thought.

It seems to be an age old problem in some departments.  Upper management's only pulse on things seems to be tickets and case count.  Even when they say it isn't the only thing the look at, it's the thing they'll throw pressure to.    I've noticed my Sheriff's, some Town and some but not all City departments have a much more balanced outlook on productivity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I learned a long time ago to drive the limit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I learned a long time ago to drive the limit.

This, as part of my aging process as well.  The speed limit is the SPEED LIMIT.  When I was younger, I too used to think that driving the speed limit was driving slow, like a grandma, etc.  Not any more.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How much faster would you say it's safe to go without a hassle?
View Quote

I've been told 74 is a good number as writing for 9mph over doesn't look too good in Court....not that I ever exceed the posted limit, just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top