Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 1:51:19 AM EDT
Well, I have been here since 9/5/14.  After all the dust settling from the move, new house, new job, etc.  I have had some time to settle down and reflect on what this decision to uproot has caused.

It all started on 9/5/14 when a member on the GA HTF helped me unload a moving truck in 90 degree weather.  I had never met him before that day, just conversed via IM, e-mail and cell phone.

I attended a GA HTF shooting event in Macon, GA on the weekend of 10/3-10/5/14.  Met some awesome HTF members who treated this Yankee the right way.  I got to shoot all kinds of full auto, suppressed, SBR, beltfed, etc, etc. And combos of all the above.  We had some great food, 16 pork butts were sacrificed.  We set a car on fire with full auto belt fed machine guns shooting steel core projectiles.  Where the hell in NY can you do that???  The police showed up due to a neighbor complaint about the massive explosions of tannerite, and they stood around and watched us shoot and they were laughing and stood around bullshitting with some of the guys for over 30 minutes.  In NY we would have all been proned out!  They then left and told the complaining neighbor, he better learn to accept it.

I applied for my Georgia Weapons carry Permit on 10/1/14.  It arrived 10/22/14.  I was carrying on my FL non-resident permit until then.

I have mowed my lawn exactly twice since Sept 5th, and this last time was just basically to blow off some leaves.  It's still warm here and they are calling for mid 80s this coming week.  Yeah, not going to miss the cold and snow at all.

Gas.  Today I paid $2.93/gal.  Still high, but not as high as NY.

Gun shops here are loaded with ammo and all the fun guns you could want!  Some even have the NFA section.

Today I put together a AR-pistol build because down here, nobody cares!

The Beta Mag is a Pre-ban that I bought before SAFE and never used til I moved here. I tried to sell it, but who in their right mind in a state with no restrictions was going to pay a Pre-ban price, when new could be bought for half that price?  It got boxed up and moved with the rest of my stuff that NY deemed I didn't have the right to own.

Aside from all the gun-stuff.  Life down here is just plain nicer.  Lots of yes Ma'ams and yes Sirs.  Thank yous / y'all, God bless yous / y''all and any other pleasantry you could want.  Two of our neighbors brought us trays of brownies, and one, a house plant (that my wife killed btw) after we moved in and left their phone numbers in case we needed anything or had any questions about area doctors, etc. Shit, in NY my neighbors hardly acknowledged we lived there, except one of them who we got to know after about 2 years living there.

If any of you have the means, get out while you still can.  This was a hard decision, but the best one I have made for my family.  My wife is happy.  My son is happy.  And I am happy.

Take care my brothers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#1]
You make me sad.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
See you soon.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Congrats
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the good life.

I did live in GA for a while.  The only thing I didn't like was all the crazy insects, like huge cockroaches.

The only good thing about cold weather is the bugs don't like it either.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck
I wonder what the total population loss in NYS due to SAFE will be
I am afraid it'll be a blip that gets blamed on the economy
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
You suck. Should have waited until after November 4th to move. Absentee ballot?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm voting right before I leave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We are happy for you and for your family. Enjoy the newly found freedom
View Quote

Same here!
I visit Family in the Southern States (where I'm originally from) and just feel sick to my stomach every time we cross the State line....even my Wife who's native to the area sees, feels, and senses the completely different lifestyle, and while we wish them no ill, we are responsible for the health care and safety of her elderly parents, so short of divorce, I'm mostly stuck here until the inevitable occurs.  

How do you like Publix?
Only grocery store anywhere near close to them is Wegmans.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm still a few years from the move but good to hear!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am exercising my right to vote here.  Registered and ready. Maybe here my vote will actually count for something.  Voting Conservative in NY was a waste of time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks.  Bet you can't wait to join your family in free America in a few years.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How do you like Publix?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like Publix?

Publix is just as good as Wegmans.  We have one within 5 minutes of the house and my wife drives by it M-F when she take my son to and from school.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#15]
God Bless You and your family.  Congratulations, I envy you.  We're on our way out, Vt or NH.  We can't take the heat to well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Publix is just as good as Wegmans.  We have one within 5 minutes of the house and my wife drives by it M-F when she take my son to and from school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you like Publix?

And I thought Wegmans was the last good thing about this place.    Enjoy your new found freedom!
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The one thing I do miss is a DiBella's sub.  I would give a nut for one.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Sooo jealous. Cmoning down with the wife to scope things out, agai. PM me if you want me to bring you anything, will be in the Alpharetta area
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad you're enjoying life on the other side.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll admit it, i'm jealous and happy for you at the same time.    

If i come down to GA sometime i'll give you a shout, i want to shoot that gun
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda. Here I am at, Camp Granada

Happy for you and anyone else who manages to get away and taste freedom. Wish we could all live like that without having to move.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats.
My wife and I moved to Greenville SC area July 11 and we love it here.

Taxes are 16% of what we paid in New York....people are nice....I can buy real ARs and proper capacity magazines as I wish...weather is sunny and warm all the time...paid $2.70 for gas this morning after church....deer season is Sept 15 to Jan 1 and bag limit is 10 deer....beautiful mountains and lakes....great BBQ restaraunts....gun shops abound, and the gun shops here put the New York "gun shops" to shame! Lol...very large and very good gun shows almost monthly somewhere in the state...and on and on and on the list goes.
Life is good now.

I do not miss anything about New York. In fact I look back and wonder how the hell I tolerated the crap!!!!

I wish I had moved earlier.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats Roland!

Looks like you are doing it right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I just hauled some campers from kentucky to macon ga, Seemed like a great place. If i could find a nice job and move my family there i would.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Congrats.
My wife and I moved to Greenville SC area July 11 and we love it here.

Taxes are 16% of what we paid in New York....people are nice....I can buy real ARs and proper capacity magazines as I wish...weather is sunny and warm all the time...paid $2.70 for gas this morning after church....deer season is Sept 15 to Jan 1 and bag limit is 10 deer....beautiful mountains and lakes....great BBQ restaraunts....gun shops abound, and the gun shops here put the New York "gun shops" to shame! Lol...very large and very good gun shows almost monthly somewhere in the state...and on and on and on the list goes.
Life is good now.

I do not miss anything about New York. In fact I look back and wonder how the hell I tolerated the crap!!!!

I wish I had moved earlier.
View Quote

hows hunting access is it a pia like nys or much easier to find a place ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sooo jealous. Cmoning down with the wife to scope things out, agai. PM me if you want me to bring you anything, will be in the Alpharetta area
View Quote

Unfortunately, I don't think a DiBella's Sub would make the journey real well.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Anytime.

I am i the process of getting a trust set up so I can get into the NFA game.  SBR's and suppressors are on my want list. Full auto if I can find one for a good price.  The thought of dropping $20k on a transferable pre-86 MG is.........

Some of the sub-guns can be found for under $5K, but still, I would have to be in love with a gun for that price also.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't worry, the appeal of the NY Safe Act lawsuit will be heard by the appellate court in December  

BWAH HA HA HA!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy for you and anyone else who manages to get away and taste freedom. Wish we could all live like that without having to move.
Don't worry, the appeal of the NY Safe Act lawsuit will be heard by the appellate court in December  

BWAH HA HA HA!

you are like the anti Santa Claus, spreading despair and unhappiness
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Anytime.

I am i the process of getting a trust set up so I can get into the NFA game.  SBR's and suppressors are on my want list. Full auto if I can find one for a good price.  The thought of dropping $20k on a transferable pre-86 MG is.........

Some of the sub-guns can be found for under $5K, but still, I would have to be in love with a gun for that price also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anytime.

honestly that interests me more than full auto.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't you have to have a year residency before you can get a Class III?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  90 days
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Nope.  90 days
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  90 days

schwing!!! So, if all goes well, I can apply this time next year!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWAH HA HA HA!

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I guess I never really got into them... I do enjoy a good Mac's Philly Steak in Canandaigua, tho.  

Though, being from NJ (20 years ago) it was hard giving up pork roll.  

Can find it in Wegmans tho.

"Allergen Warning! - May contain nuts given by purchaser to obtain this sandwich."

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BWAH HA HA HA!
Doesn't help with NFA or standard cap mags.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Congrats! You're a lucky man to be out of here. My wife and I are seriously considering moving out as well once she retires.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I guess I never really got into them... I do enjoy a good Mac's Philly Steak in Canandaigua, tho.  

"Allergen Warning! - May contain nuts given by purchaser to obtain this sandwich."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny I was thinking when I move to Atlanta/Douglasville Area I will miss some of the food - Chicken wings and Dibella's subs.  When I was getting the new house ready I brought a few Dibella's in a cooler - great with a pickle  & chips on a hot day!.  There isn't a sub shop like it in Douglasville or northern Atlanta - but there is still a lot of restaraunts.  
I think there is a website where you can get Rochester foods like White Zwiegels and similar, but not Dibellas'   will have to wait until it expands.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Funny I was thinking when I move to Atlanta/Douglasville Area I will miss some of the food - Chicken wings and Dibella's subs.  When I was getting the new house ready I brought a few Dibella's in a cooler - great with a pickle  & chips on a hot day!.  There isn't a sub shop like it in Douglasville or northern Atlanta - but there is still a lot of restaraunts.  
I think there is a website where you can get Rochester foods like White Zwiegels and similar, but not Dibellas'   will have to wait until it expands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

might just have to buy myself a franchise.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#40]
out of all my travels and places I've lived or were stationed..   GA and SC were my two favs.   i love the snow and cold and would miss it..  but if I could..  one of those two would be the choice...  certainly going to be the retirement spots.

congrats OP!    this prisoner is wicked jelly
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Did your new neighbors call you Yankee?
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Did your new neighbors call you Yankee?
View Quote

Not to my face.  No, actually had 2 families bring brownies, and 1 a house plant.  We have met some other neighbors recently also.  One family moved from CT and moved into a house that we looked at before we settled where we did.  The new owners in the house right next door are from IL.  The people we bought the house from were NY LI transplants 13 years ago.

I have not met one person yet that made me feel unwanted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 10:21:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#45]
The pizza probably sucks though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The pizza probably sucks though.
View Quote

I'm sure it depends on the area.  We have a place down the street basically that is owned by an Italian family and it excellent.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok.  Sold.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWAH HA HA HA!

I, for one, cannot wait for the Second Circuit to completely disregard the Constitutional precedence laid out by SCOTUS in Heller AND McDonald, to disregard in it's entirety the historical meaning of the Second Amendment and to bring back the Cumhole/Bloomturd 7 rd limit to boot.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:52:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I, for one, cannot wait for the Second Circuit to completely disregard the Constitutional precedence laid out by SCOTUS in Heller AND McDonald, to disregard in it's entirety the historical meaning of the Second Amendment and to bring back the Cumhole/Bloomturd 7 rd limit to boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BWAH HA HA HA!

Would be funnier if you weren't exactly right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top