Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 10:57:43 AM EDT
I want one, does anybody in the NY area do this?  

I have two uppers and BCGs that I want converted so that I can use them as bolt guns.   I know that rainer arms makes an upper and bcg for this but honestly I don't want to spend the money when I already have the parts.
If someone knows anyone with a machine that can do this work, or if anyone wants to help me out that would be great.   It seems impossible to find someone willing to do the work

anyone know if this guy is legit?

http://dstryrarmorycustoms.jimdo.com/
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

I have a Mega Maten .308 upper being modified for side pull as we speak.

I was going to post it all up in the NY HTF when it is back from machining, should be in about 3 weeks.

I am using a JP precision side pull BCG, so the maten is having the brass deflector removed, and the slot machined for the bolt and handle to reciprocate.

I will ask the shop owner if he will do it for you (he is a fellow arfcommer).
View Quote

Please do, I would really like to have this done.    Also post pics when yours is finished, I'd like to see it
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IM sent
View Quote

I got nothin
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been tempted to chuck an upper in the mill, but haven't taken time to try it....had I been thinking, I'd have bought a few blems/2nds at knob creek to try it out on.
Drilling & tapping the bolt for a handle wouldn't be all that difficult once you get through the hardening, and it IS hard.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been tempted to chuck an upper in the mill, but haven't taken time to try it....had I been thinking, I'd have bought a few blems/2nds at knob creek to try it out on.
Drilling & tapping the bolt for a handle wouldn't be all that difficult once you get through the hardening, and it IS hard.
View Quote

if you ever want to help a guy out I'd pay you, I wish more people were doing this
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

if you ever want to help a guy out I'd pay you, I wish more people were doing this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got you bro!

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got you bro!

http://www.toolbarn.com/media/brands/dremel/dremel4200banner%20copy.jpg

It would make an epic arfcom thread
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've helped lots of folks with their "projects" never takeing a dime....I wouldn't mind trying one or two on my own before helping some else screw up thier receiver.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got you bro!

Supply the upper. .. the shenanigans will ensue
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got you bro!

if I had an old upper on hand I would totally try it
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've helped lots of folks with their "projects" never takeing a dime....I wouldn't mind trying one or two on my own before helping some else screw up thier receiver.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

well let me know, its not the end of the world if an upper gets ruined, I've made much more expensive mistakes in my life
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Next time PSA throws blem uppers on sale, buy a case.  $30-$40 ea is worthy of "experimentation".  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Next time PSA throws blem uppers on sale, buy a case.  $30-$40 ea is worthy of "experimentation".  
View Quote

why the hell not
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
any body got a CNC machine they want to fire up?    I'll bring the beer
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
well let me know, its not the end of the world if an upper gets ruined, I've made much more expensive mistakes in my life
View Quote

I always figured the lessons I learned best cost me the most money.....you'd think I'd be pretty damn smart by now.  
DSA (and a few others) had uppers in various stages of completion from raw castings to finished, but failing QAS that could be had for as little as $20. hell might have gotten them even cheaper....course that means squat now.

This is the machine I have: http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-21-Mill-Drill/G0619
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a reject unanadoized upper I would be willing to donate to help out
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a beat up aero upper you can test on.

Damn you CIRAXIS I wasted the good 3000 on you!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would be a great help!
Next thing to figure out is the cut itself: how wide and how long?
Where to start and finish.

Bolt carriers are hardened steel requiring carbide cutters, or spot drilling with a grinding point (grind through the hardened surface) then drilling & tapping is easy enough.
Have to make a handle or adapt something already made.  
Would also be nice to see how others who've done this did it, where they drilled the BC.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bolt carriers are hardened steel requiring carbide cutters, or spot drilling with a grinding point (grind through the hardened surface) then drilling & tapping is easy enough.
Would also be nice to see how others who've done this did it, where they drilled the BC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once upon a time we had technical forums. Would it be in there? Havent used those in a minute.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't forget you need to decide left side vs right side pull.

I'm doing right side to keep it as close to bolt action as I can, but left side is usually what is done for a non reciprocating handle.

If you do right side basically you lose the dust cover, about 5 mm along the bottom edge and extend it to the rear another two inches.

Much easier to start with a slick side too, since the brass deflector needs to come off otherwise.
View Quote

I would prefer left but I am ok with right.        I'm also talking to the guy whos info you gave me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#24]
You would need to find the action travel of the bolt to start. Figure if the bolt carrier group travels 1.5 inches total distance back and forth buffer to barrel (obviously not mathematics here) you would want to give yourself a slot along the left side of the upper long enough to accommodate the travel of the grip piece you will be inserting into the carrier. I suggest left side because most people load lefty and you want the same hand to charge the bolt as the loading. Reference the H & K mp5 design for the type of slotting.  I would say a .55 -.60 inch endmill would do the trick moving down the upper on the tubing area where the bolt carrier group is housed. I THINK it is .25 inches up on the tube but I'm not positive. .. measure with micrometer of course :P

Young Manufacturing actually offers a bolt that has this feature pre assembled.  Use their design as it is simple.  

You would want to use a two piece set up here if you build it yourself.  If you can tap and die 4130 chrome moly I'd use that.  Take a 3/4" length piece of .35" moly (you with probably have to buy 1/2 inch and lathe it down) and die both ends with a nice fine thread. Take another piece of 1/2" moly and cut to 1". Die one end with that same thread pattern into one end and screw it on to one end of the .35" stock. Now as fp1201 said you will need to carefully drill a shallow hole into the carrier end and tap that with the same threading as the other 2. Should all go together nicely.

You will have to unscrew that every time you remove the carrier group so no loctite on bolt end of the charging lever!!!

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:57:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Left side gets to keep the dust cover, deflector and is a straight slot to machine.

Are you righty or lefty?
View Quote

I'm a righty, but having a straight pull on the left seems right to me, i'm weird about stuff like that

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm righty too and I feel the opposite.
I like having my support hand stay stable and charging with my trigger hand. I just don't feel like I support the rifle the same to stay on target when I am just using my trigger hand to hold everything.

I feel the opposite in semi auto though. Much rather charge lefty on a new mag and go to town.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow of where I am going. I also have a left side charger upper with a bcg already done.

View Quote

Maybe i need to try out both before i pick, i know i'll be fine with either one though.   Unfortunately not many people have this yet
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Instead of modifying one why not get a non reciprocating upper that takes standard BCGs?
http://www.gibbzarms.com/
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Instead of modifying one why not get a non reciprocating upper that takes standard BCGs?
http://www.gibbzarms.com/http://nebula.wsimg.com/ee34cfa64b013464dd4eb8975ab5e139?AccessKeyId=256F5242431DA3111858&disposition=0&alloworigin=1
View Quote

pretty cool
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, they are, and I think I'm gonna grab one right side. I like that they use a standard BCG.  The ASA I have needs that notch done.

In my case, no one makes a .308 side pull upper for a Mega Maten lower, I have no other options except DIY.

I know Ciraxis has uppers and didn't want to buy anything else, but you are right in that there really is no need to DIY in almost all cases.

Our brothers in Great Britain have all this figured out for quite some time already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://www.gibbzarms.com/http://nebula.wsimg.com/ee34cfa64b013464dd4eb8975ab5e139?AccessKeyId=256F5242431DA3111858&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

pretty cool

Yeah, they are, and I think I'm gonna grab one right side. I like that they use a standard BCG.  The ASA I have needs that notch done.

In my case, no one makes a .308 side pull upper for a Mega Maten lower, I have no other options except DIY.

I know Ciraxis has uppers and didn't want to buy anything else, but you are right in that there really is no need to DIY in almost all cases.

Our brothers in Great Britain have all this figured out for quite some time already.

if I had the money to blow right now I'd buy one new, but I'd rather just have someone modify what I have, depending on price of course

I'd like to have a 6.8 side charger but I doubt anyone makes that
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Last time PSA had their uppers for $30 I picked up a few... I can wait for more at that price.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top