Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2014 3:21:04 AM EDT
I'm trying to get the NYPD to respond to my question about their policy on out-of-state travelers who pass through NYC while carrying firearms in their vehicle. We've all heard the horror stories, and I'm trying to find out what exactly the NYPD policy is when dealing with persons who are lawfully traveling through NYC in full compliance with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. Information on this policy is contained in the NYPD "Patrol Guide".

I sent two letters to Ray Kelly, the NYPD Commissioner (one of the registered, so I know they got that one). It's been over a year now, and they have never replied.

So I'm thinking of filing a FOI request, but have been unable to find any reference to a freedom of information act that covers documents held by a state or local agency in NY.

Assistance will be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you need to "pass thru" NYC? You can just go around it. Why take the risk?
It should be clear to you by now that the NYPD doesn't care about you, your request for info or your rights.
Lock the items in the trunk, unloaded, cased up,no ammo in a separate container and don't stop anywhere on your way thru.
Remember, if you must pass thru NYC you also must pass thru New Jersey too, and they have fucked up laws like we do.
So, if you can avoid it........
Sorry and Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy appears to already have done your heavy lifting

https://www.muckrock.com/foi/new-york-city-17/nypd-patrol-guide-11302/
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:02:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you need to "pass thru" NYC? You can just go around it. Why take the risk?
It should be clear to you by now that the NYPD doesn't care about you, your request for info or your rights.
Lock the items in the trunk, unloaded, cased up,no ammo in a separate container and don't stop anywhere on your way thru.
Remember, if you must pass thru NYC you also must pass thru New Jersey too, and they have fucked up laws like we do.
So, if you can avoid it........
Sorry and Good luck.
View Quote

Many thanks to all.

And by the way, if you do a Google search, you'll find a letter from the NJ Attorney General that advises all police officers in the state that if they find a non-resident transporting firearms through the state, and all conditions of the FOPA (18 USC 926A) are met, then "the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top