Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 8:49:45 AM EDT
Article - Facebook Password for Permit

The government is not supposed to search your property or effects without having probable cause.

So making the exercise of the Second Amendment depend on waiving the protections of the Fourth Amendment is an illegal maneuver.

The Watervliet, N.Y., Police Department has decided to ignore and violate the U.S. Constitution.

The reason we know about this, thanks to Inforwars.com, is because the police department sent an applicant a form that requested his Facebook username and password. Naturally, once he got over the shock, he asked about this request. The reply is horrible: The police said they didn’t mean to send that request because they use it for the personal interview later in the process. Thanks to misplaced paperwork the proof of what they were doing has been revealed.

“It is… a common practice to view social media as a means to identify and determine character of a pistol permit applicant, in addition to other investigatory methods,” the department’s spokesperson told the applicant. “Typically all we ask is that an applicant access their account during an interview.”

But if the police dept. gets the applicant’s login credentials as requested on the form, and the applicant does not change his password afterwards, the police and the court reviewing the application can theoretically access his Facebook account as much as they want.

“It is what it is,” the Chief of Police, Ron Boisvert, told gun rights advocate Robert Farago after Farago told him the request was unconstitutional.

[…]

“…If you decline – such information is no doubt handed up to the judge deciding yes or no on your application,” reported nyfirearms.com. “The question remains – How many people actually gave into this blatant violation of their rights when applying for a pistol permit?”

In addition to being unconstitutional (since no one seems to care), this demand is illegal for Facebook users. The terms of service forbid giving other people your password.

I guess I should not be shocked and surprised that so-called “law enforcement” (which seems to be the term we use for systematic violation of the law) would spit on the constitution and blackmail people who want to exercise their right to bear arms, demanding they pay the price by giving them access to private data and communications. After all, the head of the FBI is treating Apple like a criminal conspirator for merely offering privacy to iPhone buyers

The idea seems to be that “law enforcement” should have open access to however much of our data that they want. This is the idea at the national level and we find it in local police departments. The Feds have even claimed the right to steal a person’s identity on Facebook.

Here is my advice:

Consider not having a Facebook account, or
   Practice looking innocent and naive as you say, “Facebook? What’s that?”

Read more at http://politicaloutcast.com/2014/10/gun-permit-unless-give-facebook-password/#m6bU7gHUZkJwTbFD.99
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What do they do for those of us with no presence on Facebook?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Facebook Password:  "ishotthesheriff"
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.  Never had a Facebook account.  Never will.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you have a newsletter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like to think of it more as a "manifesto"...

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#6]
And somehow asking for ID to vote is against the law.

But if you want to practice your constitutional right to carry a firearm you better have ID, references, finger prints, multiple background checks and now a facebook account?  

I just don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
tell them no and that giving it or asking for it are violations of facebook's terms
then report them to facebook and have their own page removed for violating the terms of usage
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
tell them no and that giving it or asking for it are violations of facebook's terms
then report them to facebook and have their own page removed for violating the terms of usage
View Quote

LOL Best answer so far.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this for real? I can't help but think someone is going to get pee pee slapped over this...
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Soon enough they will require your ARFCOM and NY Firearms id's and passwords too.

This state never ceases to amaze me in its brazen attacks on the 2nd and 4th amendments.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No account for me either, should I provide my bank log-in and password?

Quoted:

Let's make this part of ARFCOM Terms of Service to prevent the idea below!

Quoted:
Soon enough they will require your ARFCOM and NY Firearms id's and passwords too.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't some employer get in dutch for this a year or so ago? Courts ruled you couldn't force somebody to hand over the log in info because it violated the TOS.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Didn't some employer get in dutch for this a year or so ago? Courts ruled you couldn't force somebody to hand over the log in info because it violated the TOS.
View Quote
Yes but that is a private business not the gubment which is free to do whatever it wants and damn the constitution.  The response of the Watervliet Police is priceless.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Single space typeset
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Deny your permit?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Deny your permit?  

Their next step will be to demand that you bring in your laptop or tablet so they can check your favorites and browsing history
The permit system needs to be updated
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Updated is not the word I would use....  
View Quote

Revamped. Changed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#19]
This is why 'may issue' is constitutional wrong.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Lets fucking sue
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Revamped. Changed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revamped. Changed.

Eliminated.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm now taking donations to send me to law school for Constitutional law.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Eliminated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revamped. Changed.

Eliminated.

Scrapped.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Eliminated.
View Quote

That's not going to happen. However, they should go9 to a shall issue, they most likely should eliminate the useless character references, the restrictive overstamps, etc
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's not going to happen. However, they should go9 to a shall issue, they most likely should eliminate the useless character references, the restrictive overstamps, etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eliminated.

I think all listed options are equally likely.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#26]
FUCK Watervliet, and it's Police!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top