Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 7:00:13 PM EDT
http://wivb.com/2014/09/22/community-activist-sentenced-for-bringing-gun-in-school/
Ferguson pleaded guilty to criminal possession of a weapon. He then asked for leniency. “I’m still on the street doing what I’m doing at funerals, football games, making sure these young men and young ladies continue on making sure they have a better life than what I do,” said Ferguson.
The judge took that into consideration and sentenced Ferguson to a conditional discharge with 100 hours of community service. “I haven’t stopped since the situation happened. I will continue on now since this is over with,” said Ferguson. Ferguson could have faced up to 4 years in prison
View Quote

guess it pays to be a cuomo ball licker
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
How does one feed, house, or cloth oneself by being a "community organizer"?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Easy. .. you can even get to the white house with the right skin color and politics
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
One more reason why un-SAFE is total bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was illegal before unSAFE. The school prohibition is poorly written. If he had locked it in his car before entering the school he still would have been breaking the law.

eta: or were you talking about selective enforcement?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It was illegal before unSAFE. The school prohibition is poorly written. If he had locked it in his car before entering the school he still would have been breaking the law.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

un-SAFE made possession on school grounds a super, duper felony, but this clown got 100 hours of spankin it instead of 4 years hard time.  You know for a fact you or I would be on our 100th cavity search in the clink by now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

un-SAFE made possession on school grounds a super, duper felony, but this clown got 100 hours of spankin it instead of 4 years hard time.  You know for a fact you or I would be on our 100th cavity search in the clink by now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I bet he keeps his pistol license too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That I am pretty sure of.  Some folks are more equal than others.  Especially if they espouse the government line.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:26:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Giving someone whose mainstay in life is "community service", a sentence of community service is essentially telling them they are free to go.

Any licensed handgun owner who ever finds themselves in an unfortunate situation where they forgot the gun on their person or within their possession should use his sentencing as an affirmative defense/appeal (if pigs wore wigs and unicorns could fly).

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Time to march on Albany with 300,000 hippies
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:12:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm assuming you mean only if he parked his car on school grounds, e.g. the school parking lot, vs. the street in front of the school, yes?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm assuming you mean only if he parked his car on school grounds, e.g. the school parking lot, vs. the street in front of the school, yes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a good question.  Didn't an A student who was also an Eagle Scout get tripped up for having a firearm in his car off school grounds a few years ago?  He planned to go out shooting after school so he stored it in his car.  It was legal in theory but a school resources officer patrolling the surrounding area discovered it and turned him in.  I tried Google but they seem to lose old stories.  I am sure it is in the archives here.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone else would be in jail
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I meant school grounds. Keep in mind that parking off school grounds is not an option for everyone. Think of handicapped people, delivery people, service technicians, etc. Those people are effectively disarmed for their entire day/trip if they have to make a stop at a school and wish to comply with the law. There should at least be a vehicle storage exemption for licensed individuals who legally carry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
muh babi din't do nuffin
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Part of the protected class.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]
As much as I disagree with this person, his special treatment under the law, etc.  This prohibition on firearms on school grounds is complete and utter BS and the law should be absolutely overturned.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Giving someone whose mainstay in life is "community service", a sentence of community service is essentially telling them they are free to go.
View Quote

"Pleeeease don't throw me in that briar patch!"
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#19]
As someone has already inferred, there is some good news. This decision sets a precedent for leniency when someone else makes this "mistake".

If there isn't one already, there should be a mandate that the court assign a community service task that is outside the convicted's comfort zone. It certainly should not be something along the lines of what they were already doing and it should reflect the trial decision as a lesson such as trash clean-up for environmental protection violations, crossing guard duty for speeding in a school zone, etc. This would be the perfect opportunity to require he become certified in and teach NRA content on gun safety to students.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As someone has already inferred, there is some good news. This decision sets a precedent for leniency when someone else makes this "mistake".

If there isn't one already, there should be a mandate that the court assign a community service task that is outside the convicted's comfort zone. It certainly should not be something along the lines of what they were already doing and it should reflect the trial decision as a lesson such as trash clean-up for environmental protection violations, crossing guard duty for speeding in a school zone, etc. This would be the perfect opportunity to require he become certified in and teach NRA content on gun safety to students.
View Quote

Sadly.......that is the point we have reached.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Not the first time a gun charge has been plead down to something low.
The TN tourist arrested with a gun in NYC at Ground Zero only got a $200 fine.
The Marine arrested at the Empire State building got community service and a $1000 fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

See White House for further examples!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top