Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2014 1:02:24 PM EDT
Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question but I gotta ask.  I live JUST within the borders of the city of Schenectady.  Small neighborhood, (I have about a 25x50' front lawn and a larged back lawn).  Small house, but I am only about 3-4 roads up from where it starts getting "city-ish" with the row houses.

There is a fair amount of "through traffic" passing by my house, not just locals.

I have a anti-safe sign and an astorino sign and want to put them up, but half of me thinks putting up an anti sife act sign pretty much screams I have guns.  I'm worried it will up the likelyhood of a break in.  I live alone and my driveway is easy to see if there is/isn't a vehicle there....

The astorino sign, I don't think would be a big deal, but the safe one... I'll admit I am a little worried.....

What say you guys?  unfounded fears?  legit?  What would you do?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd sway or get more votes for our side by talking to all of your friends and reminding them to get to the voting booths on election day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm roughly 30 minutes north of you. I have 2 Astorino signs and 1 Safe Act sign in my front yard. I know for a fact that it makes me more of a target.

However, I keep my items locked up and more often than not, someone is at my house.

Even knowing what I know, I'm going to make sure that any passers bye know who I support and hopefully they'll do the same.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Good to see someone else here that supports the second amendment. Don't see that often enough in the city.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I only have Astorino signs.  Not a bad neighborhood, but lots of FSA foot traffic between slumlord apartment complexes and the McDonalds in town.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... I know for a fact that it makes me more of a target...
View Quote

How so?  What happened?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Only if you make your signs out of targets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I only have Astorino signs.  Not a bad neighborhood, but lots of FSA foot traffic between slumlord apartment complexes and the McDonalds in town.
View Quote

Do they even know what the SAFE act is? It isn't like it impacted them. "Community guns" are still everywhere etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I think so, but I've been scarred by years of being a downstate gun owner.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
You are afraid to even put up yard signs that might help the cause?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't live to far from you. I have a Astorino and a anti safe act sign out.  Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm an hour 15 outside NYC and have a Astorino sign out front. If I had a Unsafe sig, id put that up too. Its all good.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How so?  What happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?  What happened?

Two cases. First, a neighbor who didn't know what the safe act was asked me to explain. Then realized that I likely owned firearms (facial reaction) even though I didn't admit that I do.

Second, plenty of hunters and outdoorsman around me. There's a gun range one town over and I get honks and nods from people driving by.

I also get unsavory looks from a few neighbors who I am quite certain love them some Cuomo. I doubt I'm opening myself up to robbery or assault, but possibly vandalism.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Two cases. First, a neighbor who didn't know what the safe act was asked me to explain. Then realized that I likely owned firearms (facial reaction) even though I didn't admit that I do.

Second, plenty of hunters and outdoorsman around me. There's a gun range one town over and I get honks and nods from people driving by.

I also get unsavory looks from a few neighbors who I am quite certain love them some Cuomo. I doubt I'm opening myself up to robbery or assault, but possibly vandalism.

Both my signs have been stomped twice. I don't think by opposition, but by roving bands of teenagers. Nothing has been done to house or vehicles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?  What happened?

Both my signs have been stomped twice. I don't think by opposition, but by roving bands of teenagers. Nothing has been done to house or vehicles.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think you'd sway or get more votes for our side by talking to all of your friends and reminding them to get to the voting booths on election day.
View Quote

I surmise you didn't read his post
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did read his post thanks.  Instead of putting a sign in your yard of a political nature; drawing attention to you and your property, I simply stated he could influence more people by reminding them to vote on election day.  

That's the purpose of the yards sign correct? Influence people?  Let them know where you stand on an issue?  Publicly state your position?  Express your dissatisfaction with something?  Get people to vote one way or another?

We'll do more by talking with folks than putting signs in our yards; most folks are going to be either texting or talking on their phone when their driving anyway...  It will just be another thing for our subconscious to ignore while behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, if signs supporting 2A or Astorino make you a target for a home invasion, then you have to use your 2A rights.

Do you have a weapon always within reach? If so, you know what to do.

If you think someone will vandalize your signs, get a trail-cam - NYF has one that has was bought by members and has been used to obtain evidence on 2 Repeal UnSAFE sign vandals, including 1 LEO (a term I'm getting sick off - most don't do this anymore. They're too busy protecting "the collective" elite). But that's a conversation for a different day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top