Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 9:27:30 AM EDT
un-SAFE requires that prior to transfer of all guns and in State definitions "Firearms" (meaning pistols & revolvers) to persons other than those exempted have a NICS check passed before transferring ownership of said gun.

Where and how is it mandated that said Dealer must take possession of said gun and in particular Handguns which require State disposition forms in and out?
Simplification and literal interpretation indicate only the "back ground check" be done, and when passed the seller can deliver to the buyer.

In the case of a handgun, Jefferson County is demanding a receipt from a Dealer, and the FFL is treating it as if it they were selling it. (P-12 in & out, bound book, NICS, etc.) The receipt (from the Shop/Store) has the buyers info, NICS number, Make/model/caliber/SN/etc. which they gladly accept AND ISSUE a green purchase coupon that's needed by the Dealer for his State book prior to turning over the pistol to the buyer.

Question becomes (and in this case Onondaga County) when a private seller comes in to have a pistol removed from his Licenses (aka "Permit") will they accept the receipt with NICS number and purchase coupon? (receipt shows the check was done and by whom)

If not, then the County is FORCING under color of Law the seller to surrender his firearm to a Dealer, and the buyer to accept the sales/transfer terms of Dealer.

Please don't fly off into answers, but really analyze the situation and its ramifications  before spouting off

What conditions have you been subjected to as a result of un-SAFE? (in regards to person to person handgun transfers)

The State passed a Law intending to utilize the Federal system; does doing so conflict with Federal requirements? You can do a check without transferring a gun, but is it right?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Many places and table top FFLs are refusing to do handgun transfers for this exact reason. It's too confusing and not worth the effort.

This in effect makes it very difficult or impossible to sell your legally owned property to another party who can also own the said legal property.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Insult to injury comes in the counties where the sheriff/police handle the licensing. They could do a check and no FFL need be involved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Did a transfer just last week. Not as easy as it used to be. We both met at local brick and mortar dealer. seller transfers handgun to dealer, buyer fills out form similar to 4473. Dealer gives buyer receipt with NICS number on it. Off to county permit office and register, get certificate. Back to FFL, receive handgun. Transfer fee $43.20 including tax. FUCK
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did a transfer just last week. Not as easy as it used to be. We both met at local brick and mortar dealer. seller transfers handgun to dealer, buyer fills out form similar to 4473. Dealer gives buyer receipt with NICS number on it. Off to county permit office and register, get certificate. Back to FFL, receive handgun. Transfer fee $43.20 including tax. FUCK
View Quote

As if it were easy before
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
When you read ATF Proc. 2013-1 it says  "the FFL must first take the firearm into inventory...and record it in his A&D book". which means a State Licensed Dealer has to P-12 it in & out under PL 400.  
So much for the $10. maximum the Dealer may charge for conducting a NICS check.  

http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-dealers
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you read ATF Proc. 2013-1 it says  "the FFL must first take the firearm into inventory...and record it in his A&D book". which means a State Licensed Dealer has to P-12 it in & out under PL 400.  

View Quote

Which is exactly why so many aren't doing it. It simply isn't worth their time.

Or they are charging a $20-30 admin fee for pistols.

Like I said, it has made it close to impossible or so expensive and time consuming that it isn't worth it to sell a pistol in state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted: it has made it close to impossible or so expensive and time consuming that it isn't worth it to sell a pistol in state.
View Quote

But on the bright side, they have made it so expensive and time consuming, that it makes it worth while to move out of state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#8]
They want to "capture" all of those guns floating around out there that haven't been documented on current owners in years
This is how they're doing it
I'm sure they'll figure on 20 or 30 years they'll have a much more accurate idea of who owns what guns
Then they'll really start pushing for more and more controls.....

Quoted:

View Quote

The lock requirement alone for all out-going firearms wipes out the $10 fee ( which I refuse to charge BTW ) before you even get into the cost of ordering and mailing P12s
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Such a fucking hassle, might as well just keep all the guns you have instead of trying to dump them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They want to "capture" all of those guns floating around out there that haven't been documented on current owners in years
I'm sure they'll figure on 20 or 30 years they'll have a much more accurate idea of who owns what guns

The lock requirement alone for all out-going firearms wipes out the $10 fee ( which I refuse to charge BTW ) before you even get into the cost of ordering and mailing P12s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They charge you for P-12 books?  The Sheriffs office gives them to us.
I think the $10. fee was to make the un-SAFE act easier to sell  swallow for the consumer and drive another nail into the coffin of those trying to operate a business in guns.  
We buy bags of those plastic screw together locks; they're such a PITA, but we have to install them especially at the Gun Shows..
Which reminds me I'd better bring some trigger locks with me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They charge you for P-12 books?  The Sheriffs office gives them to us.
I think the $10. fee was to make the un-SAFE act easier to sell  swallow for the consumer and drive another nail into the coffin of those trying to operate a business in guns.  
We buy bags of those plastic screw together locks; they're such a PITA, but we have to install them especially at the Gun Shows..
Which reminds me I'd better bring some trigger locks with me.
View Quote

They started charging dealers here about 6 months ago
Before that they were free
They've also changed some other things. Electronic receipts used to be OK so the buyer could get their coupon and only make one trip to see me
Now it must be a handwritten receipt, so the buyer has to come to me for that, get the coupon and come back
At ;least the coupon process here went from a 1 to 2 week wait to immediate ( the way it was til the last 80s )

I've been using up a supply of those free locks the state was handing out a few years ago, but obviously I have to keep locks on hand for sale as well
When the freebies run out I may ask most people to bring their own
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top