Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 11:16:17 PM EDT
I have come up with a gun-related idea that could be very marketable. What are the steps I should be taking to implement it?

Does anyone have any experience with "patent pending" and such? Right now all I got is a conceptual drawing...

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know, but good luck.  If you need somebody to look it over, let me know :)
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Patent attorney costs way too much $$$ to research and submit for approval (even if denied). I know somebody who 'invented' the ice cooler with wheels and a carry handle, only to be told patenting expenses would exceed profit. His advice was to sell the concept itself, or build them and make as much money before the Asian's copied it and mass produced

*insert legendary Arf story of member who designed epoxy lump inside ejection port door

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Patent attorney costs way too much $$$ to research and submit for approval (even if denied). I know somebody who 'invented' the ice cooler with wheels and a carry handle, only to be told patenting expenses would exceed profit. His advice was to sell the concept itself, or build them and make as much money before the Asian's copied it and mass produced

*insert legendary Arf story of member who designed epoxy lump inside ejection port door

View Quote

If this is going to be another Freakzilla incident then it needs to be moved to GD...
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't know, but good luck.  If you need somebody to look it over, let me know :)
View Quote

Thanks, buddy. I probably will run it by you, just to make sure that the concept is as good as I think it is.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
find someone to prototype it......but first get a signed non-disclosure......if it is as good as you think....showing it with out a non disclosure is simply giving it away.......Once prototyped you need to test it.....trust me...I have ideas that look awesome on paper all the time.....very few survive the prototype process....
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
find someone to prototype it......but first get a signed non-disclosure......if it is as good as you think....showing it with out a non disclosure is simply giving it away.......Once prototyped you need to test it.....trust me...I have ideas that look awesome on paper all the time.....very few survive the prototype process....
View Quote

I see you're a Mad Machinist... Would you like to make my prototype? Even though GA is kind of far away.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot me a Non Disclosure of some form.....be glad to look it over and advise on how best to manufacture it......and possibly produce it for you..........what ever it is we'll first have to get it into solid model or dfx form. How many pieces do you envision your product having and what do you anticipate making it from? I can have it modeled by my people but if you have a way to get it into a solidworks or mastercam file that would be best.

You can email me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shoot me a Non Disclosure of some form.....be glad to look it over and advise on how best to manufacture it......and possibly produce it for you..........what ever it is we'll first have to get it into solid model or dfx form. How many pieces do you envision your product having and what do you anticipate making it from? I can have it modeled by my people but if you have a way to get it into a solidworks or mastercam file that would be best.

You can email me at [email protected]
View Quote

Thanks for your interest and help. I will be emailing you shortly. The best I can do now as far as the drawing is an Excel file.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
you can write your own provisional patent for far less than a traditional patent, this buys you some time to have some limited protection in the market, however, it does expire if you don't submit a full application within a few years.

I've been down this road with other products myself, not gun related Here is some advice.

-Big players will steal your ideas or buld around your patent if its worthy enough.
-Non-disclosure agreements are good, but if they know you have limited funds, their attorneys will last longer than your funds and steal it anyway.

Make prototypes yourself, patent it, and build a plan to use your own resources if you want the profit, other investors will want huge shares.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
you can write your own provisional patent for far less than a traditional patent, this buys you some time to have some limited protection in the market, however, it does expire if you don't submit a full application within a few years.

I've been down this road with other products myself, not gun related Here is some advice.

-Big players will steal your ideas or buld around your patent if its worthy enough.
-Non-disclosure agreements are good, but if they know you have limited funds, their attorneys will last longer than your funds and steal it anyway.

Make prototypes yourself, patent it, and build a plan to use your own resources if you want the profit, other investors will want huge shares.
View Quote

Thank you for your advice. I know there are sharks out there, but nothing will happen unless I take a risk. Regardless, I am not a machinist and will need to reveal the idea to create a prototype. Besides, I need to get a second opinion. A more experienced person could tell me this thing will never work or won't be profitable. Hope for the best.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:18:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Nobody mentions the patent attorney that's in our hometown forum... You know that guy who was always trying to put together those croxleys beer and wing meets.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nobody mentions the patent attorney that's in our hometown forum... You know that guy who was always trying to put together those croxleys beer and wing meets.

View Quote

Who is that? Aimless? Wild Boar?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol me
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol me

Will IM shortly. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I was told.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see you're a Mad Machinist... Would you like to make my prototype? Even though GA is kind of far away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he is not interested I might be. I have a small shop a bit south of Albany
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:54:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is what I was told.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is what I was told.

I became a patent attorney after someone stole one of my inventions/products (exercise equipment).  In that instance the cost of not pursuing a patent was far greater than the cost of pursuing it.  The only thing I knew about patents back then was that they were expensive.  The cost of failing to secure my IP rights turned out to cost me my business.  This doesn't even go to the non-monetary costs of being pissed off watching my competitor knock off my products and undercut my prices forcing me to lower my prices creating a business death spiral.

It's a little bit more nuanced than I explained in that it's unclear what my competitor would have done if I was patent pending or had a patent.  They might have copied my products anyway or they might not have.  If they did copy my product, would they have stopped infringing(assuming I got a patent) with a simple c&d letter or would litigation have been necessary?  Who knows.

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:05:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm always willing to help - if you need brainstorming or help making a somehat redneck built project I'm handy. Get a NDA and I'd be happy to talk about it and help out.

There is an awesome guy in the 315 shooting community who may have a badass new product on the market soon. Willing to bet many of you have talked to him and don't even know. - all I can say about that
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Gentlemen,

I want to say that this forum is truly amazing and I am proud to be a part of this community. I really appreciate all the help offers and might just take you guys on them. :-))
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you get NDA you sent that I signed and returned? My curiousity is peaked....
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
For those that are curious, the idea is being worked on. It just might actually come to life.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

seems to be my case as well.. except a few years down the road i see it for sale and in perfect or near perfect form and i kick myself in the nuts every time ...   some day ill learn..
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]
OP..   seams like your getting a bunch of help here..  id like to offer my assistance.. if you need someone to drink a bunch of beer while your idea comes to fruition and offer little to no actually real advice or assistance..  I'm your man..  

no NDA needed...
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For those that are curious, the idea is being worked on. It just might actually come to life.
View Quote

Let me hear it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top