Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 6:16:06 PM EDT
Got the junior hunting license, junior archery tag, and two doe tags.  $9.  .  And for the record, FUAC.

We stopped by gander mountain and looked at treestands.  They had Leverage brand lightweight hang on stands at a "clearance" price of $149.  I grabbed the manager to confirm this, and he said that they were last year's stock.  I grabbed a set of Leverage climbing sticks($99) and said let's make a deal.  He offered them both to me at half price.

{insert "take my money!" Meme}

I'm checking out this stand here at home, and it real nice.  I've bought cheap stands before, and they always leave me dissatisfied.  The stand has a nice cast aluminum honeycomb style platform, nice padded seat, the whole thing weighs 14lbs, and comes with padded backpack straps.  It also came with a safety harness.

The stand is usually $200, so I got the package deal for $125, instead of $300.  Good way to end the day.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Still need to go get my license

I hate spending money.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I gave all my stands to my hunting partner when I ejected.
I had a GREAT hang-on, think maybe "Ameristep" with the suspension-type seat and a huge platform... took a lot of good naps in that stand!
Also a few of the $50 itty-bitty seat type, and a basic ladder stand ... and two ground blinds...

NY mailed me my tags last week. They're going to go unused another season at least.

I need to find a place to hunt out here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I've noticed the same thing at Dick's; after the season they can't/don't want store them so they'll cut the price until they're all gone.
When we had private land to hunt on we used to build "elevated platforms" out of 4X4 posts and pallets.
As a precaution let me suggest that you go for a size larger than your weight: if it says 250lbs then go at least 300lbs. Just because it'll carry the weight doesn't mean it won't auto-collapse on you.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Have the Lifetime Licenses been mailed yet? I haven't received mine yet.
Goose hunting tomorrow is going to be interesting without this year's new license.

I did get my two obligatory doe permits for 7F though.

I also just got a crossbow for the new early season and "attached" my magazine in my 6.8. I can't wait to slaughter some deer!

The summer nuisance permits came in handy and it's looking promising for regular deer season.

It's a shame that NY is so liberal and so against the outdoors sports/sportsmen. It's a beautiful state with great opportunities for hunting, fishing, natural beauty, lakes, waterways, mountains, snowmobiling, skiing, etc.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Goose hunting tomorrow is going to be interesting without this year's new license.

I also just got a crossbow for the new early season and "attached" my magazine in my 6.8. I can't wait to slaughter some deer!

The summer nuisance permits came in handy and it's looking promising for regular deer season.

It's a shame that NY is so liberal and so against the outdoors sports/sportsmen. It's a beautiful state with great opportunities for hunting, fishing, natural beauty, lakes, waterways, mountains, snowmobiling, skiing, etc.

View Quote

I overheard the clerk bitching (as well as grumbling from the customers) about the printer paper & new licenses....Once things settle down I'll get mine.
Local Farmer we're friends with has ~7 nuisance doe tags that he wants filled FIRST, then you can kill all the Bucks you can tag out.
Maybe  I'll actually get a chance to shoot one this year; if not, I'll go buy a new truck.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Is minimag ready for northern?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes they have. I got mine about a week ago. There have lots of problems with the paper and printers for the tags.

FUAC
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Got my life time last week.  Amped to go smoke a bear next weekend
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard at the state fair they used last years paper for this years. I fear the cheaper prices are going to bring a whole lotta WTF this season. Like trespassing or out of staters bring their pistols thinking it's ok now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top