Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 5:16:51 AM EDT
Ok bash me . At the constant pushing by one of my retired LEO friends I registered two guns. The theory behind this was that if registered they would be worth more money to someone and could travel freely to the range. Well since then I have been afraid to take the registered guns to the range and have since sold them. Inasmuch as the guns are no longer in my possession is there anything for me to do?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:24:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Hide your dog.

Pepper your angus.

Pick up that can.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#2]
yes, you have to fill out another form and mail it
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:42:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't ell me I have to expose my IP address again to the NYSP
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

too late NSA has already provided the information to the NYSP
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok bash me . At the constant pushing by one of my retired LEO friends I registered two guns. The theory behind this was that if registered they would be worth more money to someone and could travel freely to the range. Well since then I have been afraid to take the registered guns to the range and have since sold them. Inasmuch as the guns are no longer in my possession is there anything for me to do?
View Quote

This whole premise is full of major fail.  Do I really have to point out why?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never again those fucking days are behind me now. I just cant believe I fell for that shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah you realize that you CAN'T sell a registered AW in NY state right? Not even through an FFL. Once it is registered to you, it can't be transferred to anyone else in NY. Hell once you die, it can't even be passed on to your family.

You can only sell it TO an FFL (who would not pay much for it since he can only sell out of state or to an LEO).
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Since cuomo doesn't have to follow the laws... etc. etc... etc...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
He didn't read it the first time, didn't read it this time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do not get the whole "travel freely to the range" part ..... no one is checking pistol permits at the range.
If you need to show your ar is registered...you probably have bigger problems to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
no one is checking pistol permits at the range.
View Quote

Some do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You have to tell NYSP you sold them
I'm guessing they'll want proof of sale to a qualified / exempt person.

I don't understand why you'd sell your rifle. Not like you can buy another in this state should the AR itch strike again someday

For the folks making fun of his range comment, its not just the range. It could be a vengeful spouse, a nosey neighbor et who might blow him in
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And with respect to the range, say you are on the way and get in an accident and are unconscious.  The police will (or should) inventory your car while you're taken to the hospital.  You can be the best driver in the world, but if someone T bones you while you're in possession of an unregistered AW, you're looking at a felony charge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand why you'd sell your rifle. Not like you can buy another in this state should the AR itch strike again someday

For the folks making fun of his range comment, its not just the range. It could be a vengeful spouse, a nosey neighbor et who might blow him in

And with respect to the range, say you are on the way and get in an accident and are unconscious.  The police will (or should) inventory your car while you're taken to the hospital.  You can be the best driver in the world, but if someone T bones you while you're in possession of an unregistered AW, you're looking at a felony charge.

Lets say your leaving your house and you put a non descript range bag etc. in the car and the neighbor decides to call the police because they are a dick and read somewhere there is a reward for turning in a gun owner and your pulled over without your papers . Your fucked. As I'm typing I'm laughing at myself . Good thing the house is going up for sale in the spring. Good by New York and FUAC
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Lets say your leaving your house and you put a non descript range bag etc. in the car and the neighbor decides to call the police because they are a dick and read somewhere there is a reward for turning in a gun owner and your pulled over without your papers . Your fucked. As I'm typing I'm laughing at myself . Good thing the house is going up for sale in the spring. Good by New York and FUAC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's all about probabilities and how much risk you are willing to accept.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok... so outlandish hypotheticals aside...

Why were you afraid to take your REGISTERED guns to the range?  You were still afraid of being arrested?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why were you afraid to take your REGISTERED guns to the range?  You were still afraid of being arrested?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x2 . . . Not sure why would would be scared to take your registered guns to the range.  If you were so concerned about registering them why not simply convert them?  The logic here is lacking. . . . are we missing something?
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still not sure what the law is. Do I need to carry my papers from the NYSP? I have an AK that's one reason why I didn't go to the range.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#20]
You can also remove all the banned features from your currently registered assault weapons then unregister them.  You'll have to sign an affidavit saying you removed them.

NYH1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone considered that registering an evil baby killing "assault weapon" may be sufficient probable cause for the issuance of a search warrant for your residence?  Just wondering out loud here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:21:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Has anyone considered that registering an evil baby killing "assault weapon" may be sufficient probable cause for the issuance of a search warrant for your residence?  Just wondering out loud here.
View Quote

Random search warrant no, but in Cali they run an individual for registered weapons before they serve any court orders or non related warrants. Now you get a process server and a SWAT team.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought I read somewhere you had 72 hours to notify the state police that you sold a registered "assault weapon"
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I don't think that would hold up to scrutiny in the end. Although I could see something like someone on Long Island pulls a beltway sniper and they go door to door confiscating guns in a panic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think that would hold up to scrutiny in the end. Although I could see something like someone on Long Island pulls a beltway sniper and they go door to door confiscating guns in a panic

I showed this post to my Lawyer buddy & he began salivating at the thought of the epic payday this behavior would bring.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Your not missing anything here bottom line you get some Hut Hut Hut that is very unpredictable and you could have fabricated trouble. I have nothing to hide I don't need to be questioned about anything by anyone. Im to busy for bullshit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

maybe not currently, but after the next ban that doesn't grandfather in registered guns it definitely will
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or ex mother in law.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:01:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:32:20 AM EDT
[#30]
well, if they are now classified as assault weapons, why cant we have a happy switch and suppressors?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Ironically the NYSP might be the real impediment to confiscation because they are afraid of getting shot.  

View Quote
Why?  It doesn't seem to bother the CHP.  They go in loaded for bear confiscating firearms so I doubt NYSP would want to come off looking like a bunch of pussies to the CHP.  Here on Long Island they would bring in the county PD, state police, probably the ATF and FBI.  Gives them all some live target practice Throw in a retired cop or two to shout "gun" and it will look and sound like Baghdad

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I showed this post to my Lawyer buddy & he began salivating at the thought of the epic payday this behavior would bring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any idea of how many lawsuits were filed/settled in Watertown Mass as a result of the same behavior after the explosion in Boston?

That's what I thought.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on red, but the middle is gonna be a motherfucker
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Any idea of how many lawsuits were filed/settled in Watertown Mass as a result of the same behavior after the explosion in Boston?

That's what I thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought.

How much personal property (and how many legally owned firearm) were confiscated during the Boston fiasco?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top