Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would I be correct to assume that the bolt itself is the same, but the carrier is the only thing different (plus the buffer and spring, of course).
View Quote

That is what Ares is claiming. I myself have not seen or handled one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/foghorn/first-look-ares-scr-rifle-works/
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone selling these in the Rochester area?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The bolt is the same, the carrier is different. The carrier will work in any upper, just use their BCG in your upper.

I just had an email response from the company, the bolt hold open will be available shortly and will be a no gunsmith install, and is fully reversible back to factory configuration.

I have to get me one of those. Probably Tuesday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The bolt is the same, the carrier is different. The carrier will work in any upper, just use their BCG in your upper.

I just had an email response from the company, the bolt hold open will be available shortly and will be a no gunsmith install, and is fully reversible back to factory configuration.

View Quote

Nice, let us know
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:08:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone selling these in the Rochester area?
View Quote

Amchar is one of the NY distributors according to ARES. They have several SCR variants listed but show them all as out of stock. I'm guessing this means that some could have been sent to area shops, and/or Amchar plans to receive more. I haven't had a chance to visit any stores recently so for all I know there could be some on the shelves somewhere. If anyone sees any, please post.

I believe dealer pricing is lower than what is shown here.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait... I don't understand.  Standard Config does not lock the bolt open after the last round?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wait... I don't understand.  Standard Config does not lock the bolt open after the last round?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. There is a plug in the receiver where the bolt hold open device would live.
I guess they are designing a proprietary part for their receiver.
The Saiga does not lock on the last shot, so this is not a HUGE deal, but of course we all prefer the bolt lock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]
It's for kids who can't count to 5, or 10, or 20, or 30... to slow them down when reloading.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:o. There is a plug in the receiver where the bolt hold open device would live.
The Saiga does not lock on the last shot, so this is not a HUGE deal, but of course we all prefer the bolt lock.
View Quote

To be honest, that kind of kills it for me.  I want it to function EXACTLY the same as a genuine AR.  I'll wait for now.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Make one in 7.62 please?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Make one in 7.62 please?
View Quote

7.62 X 39 ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:11:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

To be honest, that kind of kills it for me.  I want it to function EXACTLY the same as a genuine AR.  I'll wait for now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:o. There is a plug in the receiver where the bolt hold open device would live.

If what scosgt posted above is correct, and the bolt hold open is a simple no-gunsmithing upgrade, then I don't have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If what scosgt posted above is correct, and the bolt hold open is a simple no-gunsmithing upgrade, then I don't have a problem with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why in the blue fuck did they make it without that "out of the box?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
7.62 X 39 ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Make one in 7.62 please?

7.62 X 39 ?
x 54R  

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I had to guess, I'd go with patent and design issues, which take time. Maybe waiting for the bolt catch would have delayed introduction even further? I'm just guessing, I really don't know.

At least the SCR has a provision for a bolt catch. The original rifle concept from 2009 did not.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Make one in 7.62 please?
View Quote

They do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
x 54R  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make one in 7.62 please?

7.62 X 39 ?
x 54R  

I'd be down for that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 2:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]
This is cool and I'll probably buy one if the SAFE act stays but I think in the long run they hurt our cause.  It gives the anti's the ability to say we can still exercise our rights and with the way judges rule these days that is probably enough to justify them upholding the ban.

This gun takes the sting out of not being able to buy an AR... but that's it.  Doesn't help if you want something different than an AR, especially now since Saigas were banned.  Hell,even a 10/22 with a muzzle device is an "aw."
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
x 54R  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Make one in 7.62 please?

7.62 X 39 ?
x 54R  

I wanted 7.62x51 - but as I failed to specify any of the above options are acceptable. Especially 54R.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:12:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is cool and I'll probably buy one if the SAFE act stays but I think in the long run they hurt our cause.  It gives the anti's the ability to say we can still exercise our rights and with the way judges rule these days that is probably enough to justify them upholding the ban.
View Quote

The people who aim to restrict or eliminate the Second Amendment would use ANY firearm as an example to make that extremely weak argument. If your only legal option was a single shot rifle, they would still be saying the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The people who aim to restrict or eliminate the Second Amendment would use ANY firearm as an example to make that extremely weak argument. If your only legal option was a single shot rifle, they would still be saying the same thing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The man knows what he is talking about.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT.

"Nobody needs 3 bullets to shoot a deeeah"
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm assuming it's got a Benelli type carrier/tube/spring?  Looks about like the only thing that would work.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I know but have you read the legal decisions coming from these leftist moonbat courts? They literally make shit up as they go. Again, I think the SCR is cool and helps us enjoy our rights while we fight this in court, but it think in the long run it hurts us. You give an anti an inch, they will take a mile.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#25]
It still has the shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It still has the shoulder thing that goes up.
View Quote

And it still has the ability with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. In fact, that's thirty magazine clip in half a second.  So there's that too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I wanted 7.62x51 - but as I failed to specify any of the above options are acceptable. Especially 54R.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make one in 7.62 please?

7.62 X 39 ?
x 54R  

It would really keep the magazine size down to 10'ish rounds, too.  Hard to stack rimmed ammo >10 rounds.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:25:27 AM EDT
[#28]
They have the bolt catch made.  If you watch the video from B&H Police Supply on YouTube (with the nice 300 BO SBR):

(Link to video)

as well as look at the version with the rail system that they had at one show, the lower has it installed.  The version that they brought to the NRA show that has the MOE front end does not have it installed (there's a blank in it's place.)  This appears to be the initial model being sold.  

As for why it wasn't standard.  Perhaps it was just a supplier issue, but look at the overall package that they have released:

(image from LongIslandFirearms.com)

there's no bolt catch, no forward assist (BCG won't interact with one, even if you install an upper with one), no brass deflector, no dust cover, no front sight, push button safety, etc.  They went as bare-bones as they could. Not sure if it was done for cost saving or to look as not evil as possible, but everything was minimalist.  That's one reason why a lot of people want them to release just the lower, since they will replace the upper anyway (likely with one that they have.)

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They have the bolt catch made.  If you watch the video from B&H Police Supply on YouTube (with the nice 300 BO SBR):
View Quote

The bolt catches in their pics are on older pre-production models. We do not know if that same bolt catch will be offered, or if it will be different. I don't fault ARES for trying out different variants of a new rifle, but until they make an official statement regarding the bolt catch, then this is all just speculation. I really do wish they would explain it though.

I see no mention of a bolt hold open feature on their patent. This is why I suggested that it could possibly be a patent issue. Again... speculation.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US8397623.pdf
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I want one, but not enough to pay a priemum to be a real life beta tester. I also don't like the idea of paying over $800 just to get the lower since the upper the gun comes with isn't configured to my liking. Thorsden stock in hand, I wait.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Finally got to see all three congfigs (standard stock, short stock and monte carlo)
I bought the last one with the monte carlo stock @ Coliseum guns.
(FYI: they're all black  plastic/synthetic stock only difference is the higher cheek rest on the monte carlo)
It came with a 5rd mag and a hard case, as well as manual and a cable padlock
I just added the pmags.

First impression:
No range time yet, but it's a nice lightweight rifle. Nice ergonomics.
the mags drop free, just like my old AR's did.
The bolt stays open on an empty mag but without a bolt catch,
it will slam forward as soon as you release that empty mag.

-

-
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Any pics of the bolt carrier setup?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice. Does the cutout in the lower look like it is machined for a bolt catch assembly to drop in? Does it have any roll pin holes in that area to secure such an assembly?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Here ya go, hope this helps:

-

-

-
URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04542_zps06794b1f.jpg.html][/URL]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nice. Does the cutout in the lower look like it is machined for a bolt catch assembly to drop in? Does it have any roll pin holes in that area to secure such an assembly?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like there's a provision for one, not sure if a regular bolt catch would work tho.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks. I think one in 7.62 is going to find a home.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the lower pics!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:37:05 PM EDT
[#38]
How difficult/different is it to index the magazine release with the stock?

Is the selector easy to manipulate while holding the stock normally?

Does your strong hand/arm get in the way when racking the action?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not hard at all, may take slight repositioning or moving your index finger forward a bit to reach.
It depends, if you have large or small hands

There's no selector switch, but there is a safety button behind the trigger

No, no problems here, it is still very similar to an AR

View Quote
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:02:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not hard at all, may take slight repositioning or moving your index finger forward a bit to reach.
It depends, if you have large or small hands

There's no selector switch, but there is a safety button behind the trigger

No, no problems here, it is still very similar to an AR

Thanks!

I already knew there wasn't a selector so I don't know why I asked that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks!

I already knew there wasn't a selector so I don't know why I asked that.
View Quote

Just to add:
I looked at the rifle again this morning, and I went over your questions from last night.
I feel that ppl with smaller to average size hands would have to let go off the stock to reach the mag release with their index finger.
(I was able to do it with my thumb still on the stock, just behind the charging handle)
Keeping your hand on the stock and pressing the mag release with your support hand might be a better alternative imo.
-
As far as racking the charging handle, the only problem I see is
if you have larger hands and large thumb, that would prob get hit when you
rack the charging handle. Keep your thumb low and it wont, lol
-
Like everything else, it might take a bit of a learning curve esp if one is used to
the traditional ARs
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Is that an optics only config, or can you mount iron sights?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Someone PLEASE post a range report.
I really want one of these, but I really want to know if they actually work!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Before Free Float rail:

The flat top upper can accommodate a rear BUIS, a red dot or a scope but there's no place to put one in the front.
One solution is to mount a Free Float railed forend.
I also wanted BUIS so I decided to put this on today.
The SCR already has a low profile gas block and no flash hider so that was a plus (2 things that made the install of a FF easier)
Waiting on a riser for my red dot so I can co-witness with the magpul MBUS sights :)

-

-

-

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I take it the AR height sights work with monti carlo stock but likely wouldn't work with the standard stock?
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks great with the rail. I plan to do the same thing if I ever get my hands on one.

ETA: Check out the ARES facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.724424170963930.1073741828.175347259204960&type=1
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:12:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I take it the AR height sights work with monti carlo stock but likely wouldn't work with the standard stock?
View Quote

That was part of the reason I opted for the monte carlo stock.
It gave me a better cheek weld, compared to the other stocks.(closer to the height of where the AR buffer tube used to be?)
Can't really say if it will work on the standard stock or not. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Looks great with the rail. I plan to do the same thing if I ever get my hands on one.

ETA: Check out the ARES facebook page!
View Quote

Cool, thanks for sharing that!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Before Free Float rail:
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04521_zps636255ba.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04521_zps636255ba.jpg</a>

The flat top upper can accommodate a rear BUIS, a red dot or a scope but there's no place to put one in the front.
The SCR already has a low profile gas block and no flash hider so that was a plus (2 things that made the install of a FF easier)
Waiting on a riser for my red dot so I can co-witness with the magpul MBUS sights :)

<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04573_zpsceff1e55.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04573_zpsceff1e55.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04586_zpsdca413aa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04586_zpsdca413aa.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04598_zpse073fc6f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04598_zpse073fc6f.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04591_zpsb13f0ddf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04591_zpsb13f0ddf.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before Free Float rail:
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04521_zps636255ba.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04521_zps636255ba.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04573_zpsceff1e55.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04573_zpsceff1e55.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04586_zpsdca413aa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04586_zpsdca413aa.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04598_zpse073fc6f.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04598_zpse073fc6f.jpg</a>
-
<a href="http://s36.photobucket.com/user/knightenforcer/media/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04591_zpsb13f0ddf.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e8/knightenforcer/Firearms%20rifles%20shotguns%20revolvers%20etc/DSC04591_zpsb13f0ddf.jpg</a>

Looks great!
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top