Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/18/2014 2:53:14 PM EDT
http://www.guns.com/2014/08/05/ares-scr-featureless-rifles-now-shipping/

Ares Defense announced the exciting new SCR — the Sport Configurable Rifle, a “featureless” rifle that’s part AR-15 and part traditional hunting rifle — earlier this year to a welcoming audience. This gun is legal to own in all 50 states and is now shipping to dealers.

Just the same the rifles are priced to move with an MSRP of just $865, meaning real-world prices are likely to be $700 or less, at least once the excitement dies down. With products like these, it’s not uncommon for demand to keep prices a little higher around launch.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone seen one in a store yet?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#3]
For those of you who think this is dumb...this is a big FU to Cuomo and the gun grabbers.

This IS an AR-15 to the gun grabbers...and it IS legal and unSAFE act approved.

If they try to ban this...the will have to ban ALL semi autos with detachable mags...which is essentially the same as banning ALL modern handguns...which WILL go too far (as if the unSAFE act didn't already).

This is the modern M1 Carbine...
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope they are serious about production. For as cheap as they say I'll take 3 ASAP!  Lets see how they try to ban these next year.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a full lower for sure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:35:11 AM EDT
[#6]
FUAC
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Who wants to take my money
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I want one
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.
View Quote

Why's that?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why's that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

SAFE was always about looks, not function.  If you're going to blow money on a compliant AR, build an evil-as-fuck bolt action or fixed mag rifle.  A Mini14/Browning BAR looking gun isn't going to make libtards pee their pants or JBT's out themselves.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

SAFE was always about looks, not function.  If you're going to blow money on a compliant AR, build an evil-as-fuck bolt action or fixed mag rifle.  A Mini14/Browning BAR looking gun isn't going to make libtards pee their pants or JBT's out themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

Gotcha. To each their own.

I am more about function. While I enjoy shooting, I don't see my firearms as toys, but as tools. A "evil" looking AR with a fixed mag is more or less an expensive single use rifle in a real use situation.

Like DaveMP said, it's a modern M1 carbine.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's why I see this as a valuable gun to have in your arsenal (er... I mean, "collection.")

This is a gun that, with 10 round mags, you can enjoy at the range without worry, can confront the "bump in the night" without fear of prosecution if something goes bad, and can keep sighted in for ready at a moment's notice for who-knows-what (ferguson riots situation?)  Because the operation is the same as a proper AR-15, you can retain your muscle memory on how to run an AR.  (You know, the one at the bottom of the lake near your house that you can go get if you need to).

Also, if shit really goes down (a WOROL situation), god-willing a few loaded 30 round mags that you "forgot you had underneath your sofa cushion when you attempted to comply with the safe act by shipping all your magazines to your in-laws in Georgia for safe keeping" will fit and feed flawlessly into this weapon.

I'm definately in for one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:44:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

I think you have it backwards.

The gun grabbers have always wanted to ban all SEMI autos...they knew they couldn't, so they just banned as many features common on semi autos as possible...hoping it would ban as many defensive guns as possible.

But if we remove all the evil ergonomic features from our evil semi autos, or create semi autos that don't NEED those features (like how the SCR doesn't NEED a pistol grip)...it spits right in the face of the gun grabbers and the unSAFE act.

Now we will have a class of functional semi auto defensive guns that they CAN'T ban unless they outright ban ALL semi autos with detachable mags (essentially the same as all modern handguns). Which will NEVER happen. Mark my words. Never. All they've been able to get away with are stupid feature bans...which yes are very unconstitutional and very inconvenient...but we CAN work around them...and we WILL prevail...ingenuity always does.

These guns also prove that banning features and parts is arbitrary and capricious (aka unconstitutional).
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The gun grabbers have always wanted to ban all SEMI autos...they knew they couldn't, so they just banned as many features common on semi autos as possible...hoping it would ban as many defensive guns as possible.

But if we remove all the evil ergonomic features from our evil semi autos, or create semi autos that don't NEED those features (like how the SCR doesn't NEED a pistol grip)...it spits right in the face of the gun grabbers and the unSAFE act.

Now we will have a class of functional semi auto defensive guns that they CAN'T ban unless they outright ban ALL semi autos with detachable mags (essentially the same as all modern handguns). Which will NEVER happen. Mark my words. Never. All they've been able to get away with are stupid feature bans...which yes are very unconstitutional and very inconvenient...but we CAN work around them...and we WILL prevail...ingenuity always does.

These guns also prove that banning features and parts is arbitrary and capricious (aka unconstitutional).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

Excellent summation.

Now I'd like to see someone make a more angled rifle stock for it ala the Magpul SGA
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#16]
A new stock will just need to take into consideration the angled action / bolt buffer tube. But yeah. Would be great.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

CA does a fine job banning semi handguns... pick your favorite model and check if it's on CA's approved list.  Hope it has a magazine disconnect, because that's mandatory.  Microstamping requirements will effectively shut off all new handgun sales.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#19]
So glocks are not allowed in CA? They don't have a mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So glocks are not allowed in CA? They don't have a mag disconnect.
View Quote

No GEN4 Glocks have been approved, according to the website.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CA does a fine job banning semi handguns... pick your favorite model and check if it's on CA's approved list.  Hope it has a magazine disconnect, because that's mandatory.  Microstamping requirements will effectively shut off all new handgun sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.

Why's that?

Lets not forget, in this shitty state you also need to jump through hoops to buy a handgun. I personally wont be wasting anymore money on shit to make this state happy. I lost thousands of dollars in pre ban mags playing by their rules for them to just change the rules. Make no mistake semi autos are next, evil features or not.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow, this is nice.  I am torn though, I know this will accept any upper but the Troy PAR is a nice looking weapon too.  Very torn.  I wonder if they will sell just the lower to this.  It migjt be a nice thing to just be able to buy just a lower.  NY Sucks, I can't wait to Move to Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wow, this is nice.  I am torn though, I know this will accept any upper but the Troy PAR is a nice looking weapon too.  Very torn.  I wonder if they will sell just the lower to this.  It migjt be a nice thing to just be able to buy just a lower.  NY Sucks, I can't wait to Move to Indiana.
View Quote

Pump action vs. semi-auto? There is a clear winner there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here's why I see this as a valuable gun to have in your arsenal (er... I mean, "collection.")

This is a gun that, with 10 round mags, you can enjoy at the range without worry, can confront the "bump in the night" without fear of prosecution if something goes bad, and can keep sighted in for ready at a moment's notice for who-knows-what (ferguson riots situation?)  Because the operation is the same as a proper AR-15, you can retain your muscle memory on how to run an AR.  (You know, the one at the bottom of the lake near your house that you can go get if you need to).

Also, if shit really goes down (a WOROL situation), god-willing a few loaded 30 round mags that you "forgot you had underneath your sofa cushion when you attempted to comply with the safe act by shipping all your magazines to your in-laws in Georgia for safe keeping" will fit and feed flawlessly into this weapon.

I'm definately in for one.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an addition to semi auto the pump may be a good backup option.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 3:08:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Shit, wish I held off buying a Mini-14.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:27:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Who carries these?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who carries these?
View Quote

I read something the other day that said they were filling existing pre-orders first, I assume via their authorized distributors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope they crank out rifles with good QC, because they will have a lock on NY, CA, and to some extent CT

This is what the Mini-14 should be.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Coliseum Gun Traders on Long Island had 10 of them yesterday with all three available stocks. I think all but one were sold by mid-day today. They have another 10 on the way for next week. Not sure if they will have more coming but I'm guessing the next batch is going to sell out quick.

It's a nice little light weight rifle.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:00:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Coliseum Gun Traders on Long Island had 10 of them yesterday with all three available stocks. I think all but one were sold by mid-day today. They have another 10 on the way for next week. Not sure if they will have more coming but I'm guessing the next batch is going to sell out quick.

View Quote

Did you get to handle it? What was the price?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

would like to see a range report also at some point.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#33]
The word is they have some for sale and he wouldnt quote me a price over the phone, so I asked him if it was close to MSRP, and he said "close".  I am dropping off 24 tons of wood pellets on oser ave in Hauppauge on monday so I will have to check them out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I Handled two versions, short and standard stock. Very light and handy feeling rifles. The standard stock is nice but I prefer the shorter versions as I'm used to short stocks.

They are priced at $850. I doubt any are left, but they have another small shipment coming in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:37:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I want one, I just don't like the idea of paying MSRP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Gotcha. To each their own.

I am more about function. While I enjoy shooting, I don't see my firearms as toys, but as tools. A "evil" looking AR with a fixed mag is more or less an expensive single use rifle in a real use situation.

Like DaveMP said, it's a modern M1 carbine.
View Quote
And we all know M1's were used in any war, so if it looks like one, it must be a hunting rifle.  

I'd be in for a lower and bolt carrier to put on one of my own uppers.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's the reply I got from Ares a couple weeks ago:

Jay,

We are aware of the ar15.com thread, but thank you for your interest.

A sight set is in the works.  A railed gas block will do you no good as
standard height AR-15 sights are too tall for the drop comb stocks.

What parts are you worried you will need spares for?

MSRP for the 5.56 rifles starts at $865.00

Thank You,
Garson
Someone asked about the gas block, I asked about spare parts (anything can break) availability, for any of the custom pieces they use.  I should probably reply to the email eventually.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#38]
OK, I just went and looked at one.
First impressions:
VERY IMPRESSED.

It is short and light. With the standard stock it is shorter than a mini-14
Feels like it will handle beautifully.
Accuracy won't be any issue since you can use any upper.
It appears that a .22 conversion unit should work without issue (take THAT 10-22 fans!).
It is like a .223 m-1 Carbine.
IF the reliability is there (to be determined) I can see this being a very big Police/Military gun - I think you could chop off the buttstock like on a shotgun and basically have a pistol grip AR, maybe with a side folding wire stock. add a 10" barrel and what a neat assault weapon in selective fire.
You could do stuff with this you can never do with an AR due to the gas buffer.

I want to see the bolt hold open. That is big to me.

Other than that, and the fact that someone needs to make a cheap bolt on iron sight or optic sight, this is a must have. It will sell like hotcakes, even in non ban (free) states. It is a light fast handling carbine.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's the reply I got from Ares a couple weeks ago:

Jay,We are aware of the ar15.com thread, but thank you for your interest.
View Quote

ARES read my thread!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. I'd really like to know if the bolt hold open can be added to any SCR lower, or if the lowers with the bolt hold feature are machined differently.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same here. I'd really like to know if the bolt hold open can be added to any SCR lower, or if the lowers with the bolt hold feature are machined differently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a plug in the receiver and the dealer stated it can be retro fitted.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#42]
It is also designed to accept multiple calibers. 7.62X39 is coming, F U B O and your ban on Saiga.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering how the retrofit would work, since the lower with the bolt catch appears to have protruding ears/tabs and the basic lower does not.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NY Hometown Groupbuy!
View Quote

+1. I'm really interest in seeing the insides of the gas system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 4:47:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY Hometown Groupbuy!

It's an AR upper. There isn't anything different about the gas system.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:30:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY Hometown Groupbuy!

If i read it right the bolt carrier is different but same bolt as a normal ar and system. Wish they had more detail about it for sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If i read it right the bolt carrier is different but same bolt as a normal ar and system. Wish they had more detail about it for sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY Hometown Groupbuy!

I believe this is the bolt carrier. The spring system goes down into the stock at an angle.

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#49]
thanks for the pic.. Interesting ..

I wonder if you could mod it for piston driven.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I believe this is the bolt carrier. The spring system goes down into the stock at an angle.

http://cdn.net.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/04/ARES-bolt-carrier-1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
NY Hometown Groupbuy!

http://cdn.net.outdoorhub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/04/ARES-bolt-carrier-1.jpg

Would I be correct to assume that the bolt itself is the same, but the carrier is the only thing different (plus the buffer and spring, of course).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top