Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure if this was honestly looked at the reason would be 60-70% union labor costs and 30-40%  BS taxes and regulations.   Combined it's unsustainable.

If labor costs weren't a factor then they'd pay the southern folks the same as the northern folks for  their time and skill sets.  Obviously Remington's bean counters aren't doing that.

ETD - FUAC go crazy Teachout.
2nd EDT- I would also concede that the unions also ask for the high remuneration due to the states ridiculously high taxes and costs of living.   I saw that chart going around recently, a $100 comparative value on a state by state basis.  NY leads the states with a $100 only going as far as $86 compared to the national average.  Only DC was slightly worse, NY beat CA for the worst costs of living.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm sure if this was honestly looked at the reason would be 60-70% union labor costs and 30-40%  BS taxes and regulations.   Combined it's unsustainable.

If labor costs weren't a factor then they'd pay the southern folks the same as the northern folks for  their time and skill sets.  Obviously Remington's bean counters aren't doing that.

2nd EDT- I would also concede that the unions also ask for the high remuneration due to the states ridiculously high taxes and costs of living.   I saw that chart going around recently, a $100 comparative value on a state by state basis.  NY leads the states with a $100 only going as far as $86 compared to the national average.  Only DC was slightly worse, NY beat CA for the worst costs of living.
View Quote

Well, Remington is going to loose EXPERIENCED WORKERS in certain fields of expertise, I know Huntsville is a rocket town, but there will be cases where they will have to start from square one with some people, others will be quick studies I'm sure.

Some of the people that work at Remington have a tradition , their families have worked there for GENERATIONS, and it's a matter of pride when you get a job there to carry on that tradition.

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Well, Remington is going to loose EXPERIENCED WORKERS in certain fields of expertise, I know Huntsville is a rocket town, but there will be cases where they will have to start from square one with some people, others will be quick studies I'm sure.

Some of the people that work at Remington have a tradition , their families have worked there for GENERATIONS, and it's a matter of pride when you get a job there to carry on that tradition.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its really sad to see this happening. FUAC
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
First of all, to you folks who are affected I wish you the best of luck. These are hard times and our governor and the legislature have not made them any easier.

The trends in NY are not good. We've had the longest stretch of unemployment over 8% since the 1970's. Through statistical gymnastics NY barely shows job growth- but that's only half the story. Most of the jobs allegedly "gained" are low wage or part time jobs. The numbers monkey-business continues with the way NY is reporting figures like unemployment and not counting people who have given up looking and other factors that affect the labor pool.

There is a reason that NY continues to lead the nation in population exodus. The taxes, cost of living and regulations are not competitive with many other states. In fact in many cases they are not even close. It is an easy decision for people to move, even if the jobs do pay less. But when there is a lower cost of living. most things are relative and the quality of life is better.

The legislatures passage of the so-called SAFE Act is not only bad law and most likely unconstitutional, but it shows the residents how misguided and authoritarian the governor and our legislature has become. A governor and legislature that will pass such a useless, authoritarian and ultimately meaningless law, in the middle of the night without voter input, using the guise of an emergency as political cover, has not only exceeded its mandate but is well past any meaningful level of usefulness.

What I say to my friends who are relatively unconcerned with the SAFE Act is this: what do you care for that they will come for next? Has a government such as this shown they have any restraints? Hardly.

Clearly, the decision at Remington is mostly about economics and those factors are no longer good for them as a company in NY. One does not move to Alabama simply as part of a "consolidation". That's a strawman the politicians are using to avoid responsibility for the move. It's something they've become very good at because there is so much to answer for nowadays.

None of this will change until there is a sea-change in the legislature, governors office and laws such as the SAFE Act are relegated to the dust bin of history.

Best of luck in Alabama. It would be great if someone who moves comes back and share that experience. I suspect it will be a good one.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Having spent the last few days right in the area I'm quite sure it would be an enormous shock to the folks living/working their whole lives in Ilion; Think Rochester only much busier.
Average wage in the area is around $13~$14 an hour for assembly work, with a highly skilled and vested worker (like a machinist) making ~$20. per hour.
Sale tax is 9~10% depending on the County.
After "Homestead exemption" a 100K house will tax around $900. a year
Water-Sewer-Garbage-refuse collection is included for City residents.
There are lots of houses for sale for 100~150.
Lots of new units (red brick/stick) with sod Lawns starting at $220K
shit-tons of shopping from Dollar General right up to and above high-end retail.
Lots of gun shops and pawn shops, pay-day loans, old dilapidated businesses to new box stores and everything in between.
Traffic: well if you can't deal with it and run 70~80 you're going to have a problem.
LOTS of ethnic diversity, as well as lots of creeds; don't make the mistake of thinking the place is nothing but "red-necks" because it isn't.
The Building Remington is said to be taking over was once owned by Chrysler as a manufacturing facility and is right off the Interstate.
http://blog.al.com/breaking/2014/02/report_firearms_manufacturer_r.html
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Paying $900/yr taxes instead of $3000/yr is quite the savings there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

$3000, where can I get in on that????
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friend of mine bought a house in Washington County: taxes are 6K a year on a modest house!  
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Two residences, first is MAYBE $110K I pay $4300.00/yr, second is $198K and I pay $8400/yr.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Two residences, first is MAYBE $110K I pay $4300.00/yr, second is $198K and I pay $8400/yr.
View Quote

I am in Ulster Co. and my combined taxes are in excess of 9k a year.  I am lucky to get the road plowed the same day it snows.  No garbage or bulk pick up either.  What is wrong with me that I am still here??
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I am in Ulster Co. and my combined taxes are in excess of 9k a year.  I am lucky to get the road plowed the same day it snows.  No garbage or bulk pick up either.  What is wrong with me that I am still here??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here in dutchess last year right around 8500 on 3/8 of an acre.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
A buddy of mine lived in Niskyuna and paid $11,000 a year on a $350k home.

Now his ex wife lives there and he only has to pay half!

The day my wife turns 55 and can retire, i'm moving south with or without her.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
$1050 here. NY is not as bad as you all make it out to be.

$1050 a month, every month. Excludes water, sewer, garbage and reach-arounds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$1050 here. NY is not as bad as you all make it out to be.

$1050 a month, every month. Excludes water, sewer, garbage and reach-arounds.
View Quote

You get reach arounds???? They aren't even offered here.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]
We must be living at the poverty level....some of you guys are paying in taxes what we paid a year for principle, insurance and taxes.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I pay about $1800 ann.... for both school & property. Thats on two lots 218-220. This is only a 113K home. Have family in SC & FL with homes 500k range & both pay less than me Some of you folks pay out the azz
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#17]
NY=17k/year
GA=less than 2k/year

kiss my ass NY
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I paid $6500 school / prop tax for my $149k house in New York State.
$2500 school/prop tax for my 33 acre camp.
Plus, I still had to pay for water, sewer, garbage....

Now paying $1088 for my $200k house in SC.

Plus paying $2.97 per gallon of gas right now.

I can buy whatever the hell guns I want to.
No stupid damn permit, no damn amendments.
I can buy any capacity "boolits holders" I want.
Ammo is very readily available and prices are decent.

FUAC. I should have moved out of your hellhole earlier!!!!
FUAC.
FUAC  you rat bastard.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just buy a 1100sqft house for $77K, and you, too, will have cheap taxes.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

77K house in Saratoga county will have pretty cheap taxes...

77K house in Fulton or Schenectady county will have expensive taxes.

My house i pay about $7200 a year in combined taxes... 2600 sq feet in Saratoga.  Assessed at $360,000.

My camp i pay about $5200 a year in combined taxes, 640 sq feet in Fulton, NOT year round, NO FOUNDATION...Assessed at $125,000 (because i can see the Great Sacandaga).

Clearly, the tax rate in Fulton is much higher... so even "cheaper" properties have high taxes...

If you got a 2600 sq foot home in Deleware that was assessed at $375,000 and can see the ocean (I looked at one 12 years ago with 3 friends who wanted to buy it and rent it out) at that time the taxes were $550 a year... for everything.

Most states fall somewhere in between.

NY sucks.

Cuomo sucks.

Taxes suck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#21]
My taxes in south buffalo are 1300 a year without STAR.

You can save money if you know where to look.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My house i pay about $7200 a year in combined taxes... 2600 sq feet in Saratoga.  Assessed at $360,000.

My camp i pay about $5200 a year in combined taxes, 640 sq feet in Fulton, NOT year round, NO FOUNDATION...Assessed at $125,000 (because i can see the Great Sacandaga).

Clearly, the tax rate in Fulton is much higher... so even "cheaper" properties have high taxes...

If you got a 2600 sq foot home in Deleware that was assessed at $375,000 and can see the ocean (I looked at one 12 years ago with 3 friends who wanted to buy it and rent it out) at that time the taxes were $550 a year... for everything.

NY sucks.

Cuomo sucks.

Taxes suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NY sucks.

Cuomo sucks.

Taxes suck.

This. The tax rates per $100,000 are different County to County. Steuben is high as hell. One of the highest in the country.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Add them together and it's still less than what my buddy pays for his one house in Nassau.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#24]
LI is the embodiment of Full Retard
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hey!  I resemble that remark

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Friend of mine bought a house in Washington County: taxes are 6K a year on a modest house!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine are $9200/year, and I'm going to have a hard time paying my $5100 school tax bill next month.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Natty, have you thought about early retirement, and taking a pension hit, just to get out? I have. 3.5 years to go, and I'm seriously thinking about it. I hope there's a early retirement incentive in the next year or two.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Natty, have you thought about early retirement, and taking a pension hit, just to get out? I have. 3.5 years to go, and I'm seriously thinking about it. I hope there's a early retirement incentive in the next year or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, with the pending passage of the expanded military buyback I'm leaning towards staying 3 1/2 more. It will max me at 32 years and enable me more freedom when I do unass this AO. I have lived under the statists for this long, I can take that much more and leave them while taking the money out of state.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]
If you do the math on Property tax, you can retire earlier outside of NY state.

I live in Monroe County, Highest property tax rate in the USA!  
My luxury home outside Atlanta is $1800 taxes per year, my taxes in NY are about $8k for a modest home and land.  The net difference is $6k per year or more.  

Lets expand that out a few years - $6K x10 years = $60K or $120k in 20 years  in real dollars that one could use to enjoy life.  I can do a lot for $6k per year or should I say its well worth funding New York to make oppressive laws against me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you do the math on Property tax, you can retire earlier outside of NY state.

View Quote
My financial adviser has said the same thing.  If I want to retire to part-time work at 55, I need to move out of New York State.  Basically my investments would support me in just about any place other than a blue state, which tend to have much higher taxes.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:33:59 AM EDT
[#31]
The sad part is I keep thinking of the state's future.    The big companies move due to taxes leaving fewer good jobs.  The white collar and good paying blue collar jobs diminish.  The ones that retire run for the border.  

They can keep raising the property taxes but in the end, who will be left who can/will pay it?  You'll still have your high dollar properties on lakes and they'll get their money there but that won't cover it all.   More and more signing up for the nonworking union of SSD, welfare, et cetera.  All their health care is a huge burden on the county coffers.   Is this state going to implode like a large scale Detroit?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 5:35:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The sad part is I keep thinking of the state's future.    The big companies move due to taxes leaving fewer good jobs.  The white collar and good paying blue collar jobs diminish.  The ones that retire run for the border.  

They can keep raising the property taxes but in the end, who will be left who can/will pay it?  You'll still have your high dollar properties on lakes and they'll get their money there but that won't cover it all.   More and more signing up for the nonworking union of SSD, welfare, et cetera.  All their health care is a huge burden on the county coffers.   Is this state going to implode like a large scale Detroit?
View Quote

Don't you know Detroit is coming back?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
yeah, that's right, Obumma said we're recovering well!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top