User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2014 12:05:20 PM EDT
About a hundred to start... And it begins
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#1]
well ny is open for business.. Sorry to hear that but maybe they can open up a yogurt factory.

I hope everyone of those RA'd votes against the communist in Nov.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure the Ilion Yogurt Company announcement is coming any day now.   Of course you're trading skilled machinists and laborers for unskilled laborers.   Good thing we got a truckload of US Gov't approved illegals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Confirmed, layoffs plantwide today, NOT JUST BUSHMASTER or 1911!
New YORK....OPEN FOR BUSINESS! Thanks GOV. CUOMO! Hope you choke on your Yogurt!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#4]

fuck you NY
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New YORK....OPEN FOR BUSINESS! Thanks GOV. CUOMO! Hope you choke on your Yogurt!
View Quote

Sorry brother.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#6]
This is impossible.  With all the times we've been told that this will never happen... I don't believe it!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Forced relocation to Huntsville may not be the end of the world.

ETA - the big issue right now in NY is the flight therefrom, the real estate market is in the tank for sales right now and there is NO recovery in sight unless fracking happens.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:26:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Now these people can go look for work in free states and get the hell out of the hellhole.
Their skills are desired in southern states where gun mfg is happening... And where life is much better !!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Remington isn't offering RELOCATION!

You have to go on your own dime, Apply as a NEW HIRE, loose SENIORITY and VACATION and work for about 2/3 of what your making now... So in other words, no benefit to move because of seniority!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You have to go on your own dime, Apply as a NEW HIRE, loose SENIORITY and VACATION and work for about 2/3 of what your making now... So in other words, no benefit to move because of seniority!!!!!!!
View Quote

Well, just like the guys here in Horseheads at Sikorsky you can probably thank your national union leadership for that. Cheaper for them to hire/train new people than to acquiesce to NY union demands in an Alabama atmosphere.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's either that or stay in New York where there are no jobs and continue to pay ridiculous taxes.
I moved south on my own dime and am damn glad that I did!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, just like the guys here in Horseheads at Sikorsky you can probably thank your national union leadership for that. Cheaper for them to hire/train new people than to acquiesce to NY union demands in an Alabama atmosphere.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've NEVER heard of a company taking away seniority and vacation just because you move within the SAME COMPANY.... that's ridiculous!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Oh that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sorry brother.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry brother.

I thought of you when i heard the news.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've NEVER heard of a company taking away seniority and vacation just because you move within the SAME COMPANY.... that's ridiculous!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In on post you say they are not offering relocation, that you have to move on your own dime, and apply as a new hire.

Well, that is exactly what a new hire is - you don't get to bring your old shit with you to the table. So no pension, no vacation time, no seniority, you are just a person that happens to have the skills set, training and experience the company needs.

Then you say you've never heard of a company taking away seniority and vacation due to a lateral move...make up your mind, are they new hires, or are they making lateral moves? From your earlier post it is clear they no longer have a job and have to re-apply from scratch.

Always remember the golden rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear all this AD1. Anyone else that is effected, also of course.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're serving you a sh*t sandwich and they'll make sure you take a bite.....

BUT

has anyone in Ilion tried to figure out the comparative cost of living down south such as housing and taxes vs what it is for you here in NY?  You'd have to eat the cost of relocation, but just wondering if you'd be better off in the long run moving, vs. staying in NY where I can't imagine companies are lining up to move into Ilion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
From the GD thread.

Quoted:
The bitching about pay has already started in the Alabama press about the wages.

http://www.timesdaily.com/news/local/article_f02c2f8c-242c-11e4-8267-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Remington pay less than touted

Most company openings listed at around $12-15 per hour

[div style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']That’s because that average salary includes not only production workers, but professionals like engineers, human resource managers and information technology staff, a spokesman for Remington said.

[div style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: medium; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);']The company plans to bring about 2,000 jobs to the Huntsville facility in the next 10 years
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I really feel for the people who were laid off.. It just sucks period.

The choices are not good either way you look at.. Try to find another job in nys be stuck with high taxes and bs laws. A lot of people are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you cant find another job your stuck with 350.00 to 400.00 a week.

Those that can move i would say move. I know its easier said than done. Many have families and/or own homes that will be very hard to sell.. Like starting out like your 18-21 again and lose pretty much everything..

Even though they might not be making as much as they did at least they will have job. Nothing saying they have to stay with Remington after they get down there for sure, but at least its a job and start out again. Im also assuming right or wrong if you have experience dealing with Remington already you already have a leg up even as a "new hire" than someone that has zero background with the them. I'm also assuming you could be in line for promotions faster because of it.

NYS is headed to the bankruptcy state. Get out if you can and don't look back.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Guys, to make it clear I have enough time in the local plant, that the place would have to lay off almost 1000 people before I had to worry. I'm higher on the foodchain than the average worker there. Those of you that know me also know what position I hold.

However, that being said, I feel this is only the beginning of the downward spiral in Ilion.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rock are you under?

That's standard fare these days.

Part of the reboot.   If Kodak had done it, maybe there would be a Kodak today.

Don't take it personally; NY expenses are so high, corporate figures that most people can be replaced rather easily.  

In my field, I work with people who 10 years ago would have been my boss's boss.  Welcome to NY's UNDEREMPLOYMENT.

Just go, and go now, and adjust for it.   Be thankful you enjoyed the good times.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Look at it this way you can get out of this shit state with a job possibly on the other end. If you didn't burn any bridges while you were there ,you should be good to go.

Make it a positive not a negative   Good luck  

FUAC!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Look at it this way you can get out of this shit state with a job possibly on the other end. If you didn't burn any bridges while you were there ,you should be good to go.

FUAC!!
View Quote

I get what you are trying to do but I'm sure the employees don't just have a fat pile of cash labeled "unplanned moving expenses to MAYBE keep my job" they probably have kids just getting ready to start school. And even though they are union, have probably worked pretty hard to keep their jobs.

That's real fucked guys. Where is Schumer now?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I know two guys in management/supervisory positions that are picking up & relocating their family's. It going to get a lot worse. I have moved whole house worth of goods thrice, from Tampa to NY & NY to CO & back... Wasn't that hard & well worth it to get the FUAC out of here. Just my opinion...

PS Anybody want to buy a house in Ilion? Ill give you a real good deal
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Had a friend in Chicago as a bricklayer making $22 an hour. He was tired of struggling with the cost of living and picked up to move to New Orleans. Making $15 an hour in New Orleans and living pretty good according to him. No kids no wife.

FUAC  I hope you loss the election scumbag.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FUAC!!
View Quote

I already had inquired about relocation long before this, seems that my particular skill set will not be needed. They want worker drones to do a similar job for 12.00/hr.

I could apply for another job in a similar vein ( $15.00 / hr) but below explains why I won't move there for it.

I know two of the bosses moving down from one particular line and I don't want to work for either one of them, concerned with numbers, not the quality of the product.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Given the current trend you may want to consider an exit strategy that hopefully will not be necessary.  Having a plan is a good start.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:18:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Any way to tell how much of this is move related and how much is post panic slowdown? Several companies have announced layoffs because of that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any way to tell how much of this is move related and how much is post panic slowdown? Several companies have announced layoffs because of that.
View Quote

Until the election is over, I hope they blame it 100% on the Gov!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:59:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

BUT

has anyone in Ilion tried to figure out the comparative cost of living down south such as housing and taxes vs what it is for you here in NY?  You'd have to eat the cost of relocation, but just wondering if you'd be better off in the long run moving, vs. staying in NY where I can't imagine companies are lining up to move into Ilion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT

That might just be me, and when I return home I'll post pictures of the "new facility"
Trust me; once you become adjusted to the temperature/climate/social differences you'll wonder why the hell you didn't move sooner! (and fuck that "four seasons" bullshit! Snow sucks unless you're on skis)
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really feel for the people who were laid off.. It just sucks period.

The choices are not good either way you look at.. Try to find another job in nys be stuck with high taxes and bs laws. A lot of people are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you cant find another job your stuck with 350.00 to 400.00 a week.

Those that can move i would say move. I know its easier said than done. Many have families and/or own homes that will be very hard to sell.. Like starting out like your 18-21 again and lose pretty much everything..

Even though they might not be making as much as they did at least they will have job. Nothing saying they have to stay with Remington after they get down there for sure, but at least its a job and start out again. Im also assuming right or wrong if you have experience dealing with Remington already you already have a leg up even as a "new hire" than someone that has zero background with the them. I'm also assuming you could be in line for promotions faster because of it.

NYS is headed to the bankruptcy state. Get out if you can and don't look back.

View Quote

You are exactly right!  Pick ten names in industry/aerospace/technology and see if they don't have a location in Huntsville....bet they do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:39:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Second round of lay-offs will come sooner than later...
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

In my field, I work with people who 10 years ago would have been my boss's boss.  Welcome to NY's UNDEREMPLOYMENT.

Just go, and go now, and adjust for it.   Be thankful you enjoyed the good times.

View Quote

I am in IT and I learned almost twenty years ago that there is always somebody willing and able to do your job for less money.  It is called the free market.  I knew the owner of an IT consulting company who made his living this way.  He would take on a job that was paying, for example $35/hour, and find someone willing to do it for $25/hour.  The $10/hour went into his pocket.  He spent a lot of his time on the tennis courts.  The drones working at McDonald's do not realize this.  If someone is capable of doing your job and they are willing to accept $7.50 an hour, that is what the job is worth.  Sorry but that is life.  Now if McDonald's cannot get any capable talent for $7.50/hour then they have to raise the wages until they get the people they want.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#34]
http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/20/news/companies/remington-jobs/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Company spokesman Teddy Novin said Remington is cutting 105 jobs from its workforce in Ilion, N.Y. He said that some, but not all, of those jobs are moving to Alabama, but he wouldn't say how many. Novin cited a consolidation of its production facilities and a softening market for the move.

Remington wouldn't say whether state laws affected its decision. New York imposes certain restrictions on guns, such as limiting magazines to 10 rounds, that do not occur in other parts of the country.
View Quote

So much for Remington railing against the government for the SAFE act every chance they get.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://money.cnn.com/2014/08/20/news/companies/remington-jobs/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So much for Remington railing against the government for the SAFE act every chance they get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Company spokesman Teddy Novin said Remington is cutting 105 jobs from its workforce in Ilion, N.Y. He said that some, but not all, of those jobs are moving to Alabama, but he wouldn't say how many. Novin cited a consolidation of its production facilities and a softening market for the move.

Remington wouldn't say whether state laws affected its decision. New York imposes certain restrictions on guns, such as limiting magazines to 10 rounds, that do not occur in other parts of the country.

We all know this is a big FU to FUAC.   So does AC.    A dozen arms companies relocating in a one year period is not "moving for economic reasons"
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

From http://polhudson.lohudblogs.com/2014/08/21/remington-arms-layoffs-not-about-politics-cuomo-says/

Cuomo said the company isn't making decision based on politics.

"They are consolidating operations from all across the country, from

red states, from blue states. It's not about politics," he said.

"This is about: They have massive space they took over in Alabama,

and they are consolidating their operations in Alabama."

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What a retard, did anyone think to ask him why a company, headquartered in Ilion NY for 200 years, would move it's operations from it's parent state?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What a retard, did anyone think to ask him why a company, headquartered in Ilion NY for 200 years, would move it's operations from it's parent state?
View Quote

I tried to write a post saying exactly what you just said and scrapped it because I couldn't make it sound right.  You sir have done so beautifully.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Astorino promotes job plan outside Remington Arms
By WKTV News
Report with video WKTV

(WKTV) - Republican Gubernatorial Candidate and current Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino touted his jobs plan outside the battle-worn Remington Arms in Ilion on Thursday.

On Friday, 107 workers will walk out of the gun manufacturing plant for the last time. Of those layoffs, roughly 27 are new.

Astorino, flanked by local Republicans including Assembly members Claudia Tenney and Mark Butler, said that one of the first things he'd do if elected is sign an executive order prohibiting any new business regulations until the 750,000 he says are currently on the books are closely examined.

Astorino also tried to give hope to remaining Remington workers.

"I would sit down with the people of Remington, the union members, the workers and the owners and say 'please, give us a little time. As soon as I get in there, we're going to change things. We want you to stay in New York. We don't want you to go to Alabama.' "

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, speaking from the state fair, said that the Remington Arms layoffs have nothing to do with counter-productive statewide policies and regulations.

"Sometimes it's not about us. They are consolidating operations all across the country, from red states from blue states, this is not about politics," he said. "This is about they have a massive space they took over in Alabama."

Cuomo also said his office has been speaking with Remington Arms about rehabbing their aging Ilion facility.

Remington Union officials say they're not going to endorse a candidate for governor. I'm going to have a talk with the Union President about this, the former Union President is in charge of political endorsements ( The guy in the pic I posed with Schumer)

Astorino will release his tax, education and other proposals in the coming weeks.

Read more: http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Astorino-promotes-job-plan-outside-Remington-Arms-272213651.html#ixzz3B7nrD4nx
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, speaking from the state fair, said that the Remington Arms layoffs have nothing to do with counter-productive statewide policies and regulations.

"Sometimes it's not about us. They are consolidating operations all across the country, from red states from blue states, this is not about politics," he said. "This is about they have a massive space they took over in Alabama."
View Quote

I don't know whether to or . Maybe I'll just go with .

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Remington Union officials say they're not going to endorse a candidate for governor. I'm going to have a talk with the Union President about this, the former Union President is in charge of political endorsements ( The guy in the pic I posed with Schumer)
View Quote

Please let us know how that goes.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#43]
If I moved to a free state, I'd need to double my income to afford all the NFA shit I'd be buying.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I moved to a free state, I'd need to double my income to afford all the NFA shit I'd be buying.  
View Quote

I'm dreading it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I'm dreading it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm dreading it.
When I eventually get out of here, the only NFA item I really want is a suppressor.  I hate noise.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remington has very likely wanted to relocate for years... SAFE just happens to be a convenient excuse to scale back operations without pissing off the union too badly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:12:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
(and fuck that "four seasons" bullshit! Snow sucks unless you're on skis)
View Quote

As long as winter isn't half the year I am good with it
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now if McDonald's cannot get any capable talent for $7.50/hour then they have to raise the wages until they get the people they want.

View Quote

Or if you're in other industries you claim that theres a shortage of US workers and lobby to have a bunch of foreigners imported on visas who are happy to work for less. or you hire a bunch of illegal immigrants
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#49]
"Sometimes it's not about us. "

Is he conceding that most of the time it is? lol

Because to him, being taxed and regulated to death isn't a political issues, it's just the way it should be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not asked, and not answered of course, was why Remington chose to expand in Alabama instead of its home and headquarters in New York.  We know the answer but Cuomo and his supporters do not ask and do no want to know nor is Remington volunteering any information.  Yes some red states are losing Remington jobs, such as North Carolina, but with businesses moving south, those jobs have probably been replaced with new jobs already.  I cannot imagine 105 jobs suddenly sprouting in Ilion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top