Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 8:45:59 AM EDT
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Timing-an-issue-in-panel-demise-5645692.php#page-1

The Moreland Commission to Investigate Public Corruption was poised to issue subpoenas to the treasurers of several state Senate campaign committees when Gov. Andrew Cuomo abruptly shut down the panel at the end of March, according to two people with knowledge of the matter.

It's unclear whether the governor or anyone in his administration was aware of the commission's plans to issue the subpoenas at the time he said the panel would be disbanded. Earlier that same month, at a meeting in Albany, members of the anti-corruption effort formulated a plan — at what would be their final meeting — to obtain the treasurers' records of various Senate campaign committees as part of a months-long investigation of the accounts.

Their discussion included a proposal to set up a law enforcement task force to refer any potential criminal cases of campaign-finance violations to the appropriate prosecutors across the state, according to interviews with two former members.
View Quote

Bharara, whose office took the Moreland Commission's records in April, has pursued the Senate campaign finance investigation initiated by the Moreland panel. In May, his office began issuing subpoenas to campaign workers and now-former staff members of state Sen. George D. Maziarz, who unexpectedly said two weeks ago that he would not seek re-election after nearly two decades in the Senate. A spokesman for Maziarz, a Republican whose district includes Niagara and Orleans counties, denied knowledge of the subpoenas three weeks ago.
View Quote

I wonder who else they found dirt on...

You know damn well with all the other reports of all the plants associated with the Moreland commission that The Princess knew exactly what was going on.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 9:21:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You know it's bad when Jon Stewart starts making fun of him.

http://nypost.com/2014/07/25/jon-stewart-skewers-cuomo-on-ethics-panel-scandal/
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Blood in the water.

Cuomo might escape prosecution, but this is an election year and right now it isn't looking good for him. Wonder who he pissed off? Hillary eliminating her competition?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blood in the water.

Cuomo might escape prosecution, but this is an election year and right now it isn't looking good for him. Wonder who he pissed off? Hillary eliminating her competition?
View Quote

Elections are still 3+ months out. With the 24-hour news cycle, this latest bit will be dead and gone by then, and anyone who drags it out will be "living in the past".
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Elections are still 3+ months out. With the 24-hour news cycle, this latest bit will be dead and gone by then, and anyone who drags it out will be "living in the past".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Blood in the water.

Unless this thing takes off it will be forgotten. Lets hope it takes off. I'm gonna step up my donations to Astorino. I think the worst thing that can  happen ,as far as the campaign is concerned, is come Oct, Nov Cuomo gets  vindicated

ETA tried to fix my FUBAR post. I wasn't   while posting either
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
As I mentioned in other threads, I see this going absolutely nowhere.  My reasoning?  Just look at Charlie Rangel and the three Democat state senators who were all under investigation for crimes or convicted/censured and they STILL GOT RE-ELECTED!  Too me, that is proof of the mentality of the electorate as a whole.  They will re-elect the crooks time and again.  I would have through Rangel was finished two years ago yet he was re-elected and, though he did manage to just squeak by in the latest primary, he will win by a landslide in November because no one is going to vote for his Republican opponent.  The Democrat's could run Charles Manson for the slot and he would win by a landslide over whomever the Republican's put up as long as Manson keeps the money flowing to the district.

The ones who care most about this Moreland Commission scandal are Cuomo's detractors, not his supporters.  And his detractors are, I am sad to say, far outnumbered by the supporters downstate where the votes are. Now there are plenty here who will pile up on me telling me I am clueless and I am out of touch.  Well let me just say that my powers of observation have only gotten sharper over the years since 2000.  This is a story I have related in the past.  I work in a building where Rick Lazio used to have his district office.   In 2000 he was running against Hillary Clinton for the U.S. Senate seat.  It became evident to me early on that she was going win.  What clued me in?  First, there were all the Hillary posters and bumper stickers I would see around Long Island and nary a Lazio sign or sticker. But what really convinced me was the Hillary bumper sticker stuck on the back door of Lazio's district office.  It was there for several days before someone finally removed it.  I knew then and there that nobody supporting Lazio cared enough, or if there were even that many supporters, to remove it in a timely manner. I observe the same things now in support of Cuomo.  Cuomo controls the narrative around here and I have yet to see anything in support of Astorino.  Granted the campaigning does not really get into full swing until after Labor Day but harking back to 2000, there was already a lot of Hillary support before Labor Day and I am not seeing it for Astorino.  Short of Cuomo being lead away in handcuffs by the FBI or U.S. Marshal's, nothing is going to derail him from being re-elected at this point.  And I don't think the U.S. District Attorney will be able to build a case before November, if at all.

Just my two cents and my reasoning behind it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:20:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Aardvark, not disagreeing with you, but Lazio was a piece of shit who was set up from the get-go as someone who would simply run to be beaten by hitlery.

Astorino is a good candidate.  Yes, it's a long shot as far as the electorate is concerned, however I don't know how much his base can even be bothered to vote this time (no cocoa messiah running this time around) and those who are against him really do seem motivated.

"Stop Common Core" really needs to be the rallying cry.  The safe act only affects us, but common core hits every home with a kid in school.

I am doing what I can to support Rob.  Maybe we will get a miracle.  If not, I already own some property in a free state and I have a RE Broker who has instructions that my house WILL go on the market on Nov. 5 if Cumhole is re-elected.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Aardvark, not disagreeing with you, but Lazio was a piece of shit who was set up from the get-go as someone who would simply run to be beaten by hitlery.

Astorino is a good candidate.  Yes, it's a long shot as far as the electorate is concerned, however I don't know how much his base can even be bothered to vote this time (no cocoa messiah running this time around) and those who are against him really do seem motivated.

"Stop Common Core" really needs to be the rallying cry.  The safe act only affects us, but common core hits every home with a kid in school.

I am doing what I can to support Rob.  Maybe we will get a miracle.  If not, I already own some property in a free state and I have a RE Broker who has instructions that my house WILL go on the market on Nov. 5 if Cumhole is re-elected.
View Quote

I strongly agree with you there. This will be more important to "independent" (read: low information) voters than unSAFE.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:38:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As I mentioned in other threads, I see this going absolutely nowhere.  My reasoning?  Just look at Charlie Rangel and the three Democrat state senators who were all under investigation for crimes or convicted/censured and they STILL GOT RE-ELECTED!  Too me, that is proof of the mentality of the electorate as a whole.  They will re-elect the crooks time and again.  I would have through Rangel was finished two years ago yet he was re-elected and, though he did manage to just squeak by in the latest primary, he will win by a landslide in November because no one is going to vote for his Republican opponent.  The Democrat's could run Charles Manson for the slot and he would win by a landslide over whomever the Republican's put up as long as Manson keeps the money flowing to the district.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
As I mentioned in other threads, I see this going absolutely nowhere.  My reasoning?  Just look at Charlie Rangel and the three Democrat state senators who were all under investigation for crimes or convicted/censured and they STILL GOT RE-ELECTED!  Too me, that is proof of the mentality of the electorate as a whole.  They will re-elect the crooks time and again.  I would have through Rangel was finished two years ago yet he was re-elected and, though he did manage to just squeak by in the latest primary, he will win by a landslide in November because no one is going to vote for his Republican opponent.  The Democrat's could run Charles Manson for the slot and he would win by a landslide over whomever the Republican's put up as long as Manson keeps the money flowing to the district.

Exactly. Those are local district issues that have always existed and will probably never change, and are not representative statewide.

Quoted:
The ones who care most about this Moreland Commission scandal are Cuomo's detractors, not his supporters.  

Keep in mind that it is his own people who are now blowing the whistle on the Moreland scandal. That information did not come from Cuomo's detractors.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Some key information here.

former Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, who has written about the Moreland Commission's makeup and legal authority, said a separate action by Cuomo and Attorney General Eric Schneiderman raised a new set of legal questions.

In his executive order creating the Moreland panel, Cuomo directed Schneiderman to deputize many of the panel's members, officially making them deputy attorneys general and broadening their investigative powers.

Under the state Moreland Act, a Moreland Commission can only investigate the executive branch. With Schneiderman's action, the panel could probe state government more broadly.

"(Cuomo) used his powers under the executive law to refer a matter to the attorney general," said Brodsky, a Democrat from Greenburgh, Westchester County. "He has every right to do that. The interesting question, though, is once you do that, is it your investigation or is it the attorney general's investigation? That, I think, is at the heart of this issue."

But while Bharara has jurisdiction under federal law, it's unclear who would be able to properly investigate any potential state-law violations.

Schneiderman, whose office has repeatedly declined comment since Wednesday, was involved in the initial creation of the panel, and Albany County District Attorney David Soares -- whose district includes the state Capitol -- was a member of the Moreland Commission.

"The real question here is who's going to investigate the investigators?" said Brodsky, who ran unsuccessfully for attorney general in 2010. "There are no obvious, easy answers. This is the kind of thing that needs an inquiry. Someone should be able to publicly determine what really happened."
View Quote

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/new-york/2014/07/25/legal-political-fallout-cuomos-moreland-probe-unclear/13191583/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top