Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 5:32:57 PM EDT
Quick background: Friend from highschool, we fell out of touch for a while, until I saw a bunch of posts on his Facebook acct and we started talking again about 2 months ago.

He graduated from a Top 10 US University engineering program in the top 5% of his class. Went to a pretigious grad program in NY for a PhD in Neurobiology. Within 4 years, he's published 4 first author papers (very impressive by academic standards).

About 3-4 months ago, he felt his boss was pressuring him unfairly hard to get him to produce more; to the point where he felt it was harassment. So he approached his Dean about this. Now here, things get fuzzy, as I only have his side of the story. But sounds like something went awry, and his Dean sided with his boss and referred him to a psychiatrist because he was behaving erratically, and manic. (He claims his own psych gave him a clean bill of health, and attributed everything to be overworked). Anyways, he ended up being suspended from the program, and ultimately resigned his spot.

He spends the next few months effectively a vagabond, with little money, posting all sorts of STUPID ass shit on facebook. Ranting and raving about the program he just left//got shit-canned from. Some of these things he posted do honestly look threatening towards his former employers.

Apparently, his program responded and contacted the FBI. Last week, he was arrested on 6cts felony terrorism charges, as well as 4th degree posession of a dangerous weapon (a BB gun they found at his house ) Currently in Suffolk County Riverhead correctional facility...

Opinions on his chances of getting out of this...?

Also his family is looking for a defense lawyer if anyone knows someone who would specialize in something like this, please PM me.

ETA: probably did not help his case that he recently posted 2 pictures of him holding AR15s in a pawn shop in S Dakota.... Not that it should matter, but NY....

TL;DR- Friend seems to be getting his 1st amendment rights trampled, and a mental breakdown confused for an actual threat to society. Incredibly smart PhD student went from publishing in academic journals to prison in the span of 5 months.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]
mental illness is a terrible thing, sounds like your buddy went off the deep-end which really is easier than most people think.

sorry to hear about it, most likely he'll end up in some treatment program
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]

I'm guessing that there's more to this story than you know.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Plus one, but there doesn't have to be as the threats alone these days would be enough.   doubt the charges stick, but the lawyer fees, stigma and possible continued mental health issues might...
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

I think this is definitely true. However, I still think the parties involved are overreacting because how much resemblance this case has to the Aurora Co shooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think this is definitely true. However, I still think the parties involved are overreacting because how much resemblance this case has to the Aurora Co shooting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course there can be under-reacting and if he goes off, everyone wondering why nothing was done.  The fact that he was posting ramblings on Facebook and posing in pictures with firearms would give me pause too.  Basically it will be up to the doctors and the courts to sort I out.  I agree with one of the posts above that he will most likely be sent for treatment.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of these things he posted do honestly look threatening towards his former employers
View Quote

I understand you're trying to give your buddy the benefit of the doubt but, you said it yourself.

If it's some sort of psychological, disease, tumor, or medical thing I hope he gets the treatment he needs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#7]
He is local jail, not prison
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If he's in suffolk county jail, he wasn't arrested by the fbi.  They house their prisoners in the federal lockup in either Brooklyn, Manhattan or Jersey. No federal prisoners in riverhead.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If he's in suffolk county jail, he wasn't arrested by the fbi.  They house their prisoners in the federal lockup in either Brooklyn, Manhattan or Jersey. No federal prisoners in riverhead.
View Quote

Ya, he was questioned by the FBI at one point.  But ultimately, he was arrested by Nassau police it seems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If he was arrested by Nassau County PD, he should be in Nassau County Correctional Facility, not Suffolk.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

TL;DR- Friend seems to be getting his 1st amendment rights trampled, and a mental breakdown confused for an actual threat to society. Incredibly smart PhD student went from publishing in academic journals to prison in the span of 5 months.

View Quote

Not really.  Threats to your employer have nothing to do with the 1st amendment.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Facebook and Youtube are not your friends when it comes to being upset and venting frustration.  When will people learn this?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]
The "story" as you have it sucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#14]
your friend needs help mental health help kind, and since nys closed the mental hospitals they have been warehousing these types in prison. it sounds like there is more to this story than you know and there may be a reason why the feds considered him to be a actual threat
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
He either has some serious psych probs or is into drugs hardcore. IF if's the psych problems, he may get off. If it's dope, well,  he's screwed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

he'll eventually end up on probation after he pleads guilty to a misdemeanor, will refuse to take his psych meds and get in more trouble in about a year
View Quote

Can his family get him committed?

I believe his family petitioned the court in S.D. to have him receive psychiatric help, but was denied on the ground that he did not pose any danger (back then).
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I believe his family petitioned the court in S.D. to have him receive psychiatric help, but was denied on the ground that he did not pose any danger (back then).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
he'll eventually end up on probation after he pleads guilty to a misdemeanor, will refuse to take his psych meds and get in more trouble in about a year

They can take him to a psych ER if there is one in your area, regular if not,  if he is dangerous or unstable he can be 2PC'd ,meaning two doctors sign off that he needs to be forcibly admitted. Nothing he can do about it once that happens.  Getting him to a psych ER is the hard part, people with psych problems don't think they have a problem. Just think how hard it is to get dad or grandpa to the ER when they are short of breath or having chest pain, now try getting somebody with no overt (to him) syptoms and your going to have a hard time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They can take him to a psych ER if there is one in your area, regular if not,  if he is dangerous or unstable he can be 2PC'd ,meaning two doctors sign off that he needs to be forcibly admitted. Nothing he can do about it once that happens.  Getting him to a psych ER is the hard part, people with psych problems don't think they have a problem. Just think how hard it is to get dad or grandpa to the ER when they are short of breath or having chest pain, now try getting somebody with no overt (to him) syptoms and your going to have a hard time.
View Quote

Even a 2PC only allows a 72 hour hold.  After that he's back out unless he really demonstrates that he's a danger to himself or others during the 72 hour hold period.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is ridiculously hard to get someone who it not suicidal or violent committed in most areas.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is ridiculously hard to get someone who it not suicidal or violent committed in most areas.  

With good reason. There is a fine line between odd and mental illness.  Mental illness will be the next big disqualifier for the exercise of constitutional rights.  Taking a page right out of the Soviet playbook.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
a BB gun?
I thought even NY didn't consider that to be a real firearm.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
a BB gun?
View Quote

Definition of firearms from the NY Dept of Environmental Conservation

"Air gun - a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed."
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

"Air gun - a firearm that uses spring or compressed air (not gunpowder) to propel a single projectile that is .17 caliber or larger and produces a muzzle velocity of at least 600 feet per second. Smooth or rifled bore air guns are allowed."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a BB gun?

"firearm"?  really?
i ask cos dad was able to UPS me his old crosman without having to go through all the firearm shipping requirements cos... it's not a real firearm.
if it was a real firearm he would have had to go through an FFL
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

With good reason. There is a fine line between odd and mental illness.  Mental illness will be the next big disqualifier for the exercise of constitutional rights.  Taking a page right out of the Soviet playbook.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The docs should use the full eval period allowed under the law before kicking someone loose
The docs here kicked a guy loose whose mom had taken him to the ER for eval.
She took him home and he threw her down the stairs and killed her.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The docs should use the full eval period allowed under the law before kicking someone loose
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

14 days is the maximum regardless, without a warrant from the NYS dept
Of Mental Hygiene

Commitment is a thing of the past, mental treatment is all catch and release now days
In 2015 shelters will be no more,  they'll start housing them in nursing homes, so grandma will have no chance at all :(
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top