Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2014 5:13:50 PM EDT
Heading over to West Point NY, what's there cool to see I the area or on the school itself?  Museums?  Places to eat? Idk I'll be there for most of a day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Go into the museum at West Point plenty of neat things like Patton's pearl handle pistols and other weaponry. Down the road at the Bear Mountain Circle look out at the river that is basically were the chain was across the Hudson to keep the British down river. There is the Bear Mountain Zoo which is nice to walk-thru for a few hours.  Turn around and walk back outside and step onto the Appalachian trail which passes through the park.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't tour West Point since 911 unless your on the tour bus the mil museum is cool

Plus one for bear mountain for the chain and the zoo you can go to constitution island

Futher north in new Windsor the containment

Storm king mnt

And West Point foundry in cold spring where the bulk of cannons were made for the north
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Besides the museum, they also give guided tours to parts of the Academy.  Don't know if that's everyday, or weekends only though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
if you're not military and don't have a DOD decal on the car, the DOD police will inspect it so leave the heater at home, the dope too.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#5]
the parade field and the Chapel are worth seeing(massive pipe organ)

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Orange County Choppers shop is on the outskirts of Newburgh if you are into that sort of thing.  Some good eateries along the waterfront in Newburgh as well.  The City of Newburgh itself is a cesspool, stay out of it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Patton's pearl handle pistols.
View Quote

Ivory!!! As the man himself said, pearl is for pimps! (at least in the movie...)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ivory!!! As the man himself said, pearl is for pimps! (at least in the movie...)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Patton's pearl handle pistols.

Ivory  Dammit!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey thanks.  Any really nice places for dinner?  Im going with a lady friend so we were thinking about a nicer than average place.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
They have their summer concert series going on. Every other Sunday night, I think. That's nice to do with a lady friend.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go into the museum at West Point plenty of neat things like Patton's pearl handle pistols and other weaponry. Down the road at the Bear Mountain Circle look out at the river that is basically were the chain was across the Hudson to keep the British down river. There is the Bear Mountain Zoo which is nice to walk-thru for a few hours.  Turn around and walk back outside and step onto the Appalachian trail which passes through the park.
View Quote

Pearl?  I thought only pimps had pearl handles,  weren't his ivory?

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey thanks.  Any really nice places for dinner?  Im going with a lady friend so we were thinking about a nicer than average place.  Thoughts?
View Quote

I've never eaten there myself, and it's maybe an hour away, give or take, but the Culinary Institute of America has a restaurant attached to the school.  If you do go up that way it's in the same vicinity as the FDR mansion.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:36:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've never eaten there myself, and it's maybe an hour away, give or take, but the Culinary Institute of America has a restaurant attached to the school.  If you do go up that way it's in the same vicinity as the FDR mansion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The food is good..
The American Bounty Restaurant, is cooked by 1st year students.
Ristorante Caterina de’ Medici, is mid year students
The Bocuse Restaurant, is cooked by last year students.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
There is a really cool Japanese restaurant nearby ( just north I think maybe on storm king pky?) I can't remember the name, i'm on I-potatoe and google
Is no google... And they have an authentic wooden building and the landscape is awesome : usual habachi or sit down and a bar
A window seat by the garden might just the ticket
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Ticks
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Places to eat.. Thats my specialty...

Black Forest Mill -- Located  5 miles west of West Point in Highland Mills.. German Food

Torches on the Hudson -- Located 15 minutess north of West Point in Newburgh on the water front.. American / Continental

Billy Joes Rib Works -- Located 15 minutes north of West Point in Newburgh on the water front.. BBQ (not really upscale but excellent food)

Schlesingers Steakhouse -- Located 15 minutes north of West Point in New Windsor on Rt 300... American Steak House (upscale, house made pickles are delicious)

The Raccoon Saloon -- Located 30 minutes north of West Point in Marlboro on Rt 9w.. American / Continental (The House Ketchup is a must try)

The Ship Lantern Inn -- Located 30 minutes north of West Point in Marlboro on Rt 9w.. Continental (very upscale)

La Stazione -- Located 45 to 60 minutes north of west point depending on direction traveled,, In New Plaltz on route 299.. Italian (very upscale)

The Guilded Otter -- Located 45 to 60 minutes north of west point depending on direction traveled,, In New Plaltz on route 299.. Brew Pub (upscale food, alright beer)

The Culinary Institute of America -- Located 45 to 60 minutes north of west point depending on direction traveled, In Hyde Park on Rt 9.. Multiple restaurants with multiple types of food

The Hyde Park Brewery -- Located 45 to 60 minutes north of west point depending on direction traveled in Hyde Park on Rt9.. Brew Pub (upscale, American / German food, Excellent Beer)

There are plenty more if you have anything in particular you are looking for..
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There is a really cool Japanese restaurant nearby ( just north I think maybe on storm king pky?) I can't remember the name, i'm on I-potatoe and google
Is no google... And they have an authentic wooden building and the landscape is awesome : usual habachi or sit down and a bar
A window seat by the garden might just the ticket
View Quote

Your talking about either Mt Fuji -- Located south of west point near the NJ border on I 87.. (never ate here, just know it exists)

Or

Gasho Steak house -- Located north and west on Rt 32 in Central Valley.. (Nice looking place and gardens, but I do not recommend, I have come out of that place ill to my stomach on more than one occation)

If you are looking for a japanese hibachi type place.. I recommend OSHO's in Poughkeepsie about an hour north of west point on RT 9.. Food is decent for a Hibachi joint, but you can do much better with other restaurants in the area just not hibachi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top